[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

15 minutes ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

That's the thing - it's not me. From the moment I installed 1.11, jet packs were patched to 25l service tanks. I don't recall any patch regarding EVA propellant but I guess it is there somewhere and it does it's job on jet packs. 

Do you mean remove service tanks for jet packs? Anyway, I'll try your patch today. 

BTW, since 1.11 I don'y get rescue contracts. Can it be related to this change in EVA?

You might have a patch somewhere that does a search for all containers that hold resources and then replaces them with service module tanks. Best I can suggest is doing a search through your gamedata folder with a program like notepad++ that lets you search for text in files for something that looks like "@RESOURCE[*]" as that might lead you to the culprit. And yes, I'd remove the service tanks on the jetpacks, but that's been added through a patch somewhere so you've got to figure out whats adding it and disable that.

As for rescue contracts, I've got no idea at all as I've got them disabled since I never do them.

Your patch works like charm. The only tweak I had to do was to add :BEFORE[RealFules] to both patches. The reason for this is that I use Kerbalism, and it's Kerbalism that patches EVA Propellant into Monopropellant. Then Real Fuels comes, sees Monopropellant on the jet pack, and turns it into a service tank , which it can't further handle I guess. So the trick it is to "hijack" the jet pack and fill it with something that is not stock fuels after Kerbalism but before Real Fuels. 

I get this log input from part compiler:

[LOG 22:27:39.212] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Cargo/Jetpack/Jetpack/evaJetpack'
[LOG 22:27:39.220] RealFuels.Tanks.TankWindow:HideGUI()
RealFuels.Tanks.ModuleFuelTanks:OnDestroy()
UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate(Object, Boolean)
UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate(Object)
PartLoader:StripComponent(GameObject)
PartLoader:CreatePartIcon(GameObject, Single&)
PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
<CompileParts>d__56:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

This RealFuels.Tanks.TankWindow:HideGUI() looks like a reason why jet pack tank can't be accessed via GUI. 

Edited by JebIsDeadBaby

6 hours ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

Your patch works like charm. The only tweak I had to do was to add :BEFORE[RealFules] to both patches. The reason for this is that I use Kerbalism, and it's Kerbalism that patches EVA Propellant into Monopropellant. Then Real Fuels comes, sees Monopropellant on the jet pack, and turns it into a service tank , which it can't further handle I guess. So the trick it is to "hijack" the jet pack and fill it with something that is not stock fuels after Kerbalism but before Real Fuels. 

I get this log input from part compiler:

[LOG 22:27:39.212] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Cargo/Jetpack/Jetpack/evaJetpack'
[LOG 22:27:39.220] RealFuels.Tanks.TankWindow:HideGUI()
RealFuels.Tanks.ModuleFuelTanks:OnDestroy()
UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate(Object, Boolean)
UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate(Object)
PartLoader:StripComponent(GameObject)
PartLoader:CreatePartIcon(GameObject, Single&)
PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
<CompileParts>d__56:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

This RealFuels.Tanks.TankWindow:HideGUI() looks like a reason why jet pack tank can't be accessed via GUI. 

I've never been very good at deciphering unity errors, but it looks like the game doesn't want any special GUI to be added to the jetpack because its a cargo part. I could be wrong though... Is this an error you're still getting after applying the patch, or something you were seeing before?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there, Is it possible to configure a fuel tank such that you can toggle the volume in game via something like B9 Part Switch (like how Universal Storage 2 changes between fuel tank sizes), or is that out of the question?

10 hours ago, Jcking said:

Hello there, Is it possible to configure a fuel tank such that you can toggle the volume in game via something like B9 Part Switch (like how Universal Storage 2 changes between fuel tank sizes), or is that out of the question?

Real fuels and procedural parts should work together.  Proc parts will let you configure tank diameter + length in the VAB/SPH

• 3 weeks later...

ucph363x.pngHi, is it intended that the consumption of the engines will be rounded up? I no longer have the exact burning times. or is there a possibility to change this?

At least there was no difference before the update; as in the example 140 sec. and 2.28 min.

Edited by msp307

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a fuel tank that contains two fuselage tanks for LOX and CH4 and another ServiceModule tank for the CH4 header tank. This is of course to copy the StarShip design and have some CH4 in a header tank protected from boiloff (I already put a ServiceModule LOX header tank into the nose which is a separate piece so pretty straightforward)

Thanks! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Good day people. I'm after a little help with a Zarya craft I'm putting together in RO using RF. so according to a NASA source, Zarya has 16 fuel tanks filled with NTO & UDMH with a total mass of 5,760kg. Eight tanks holding 400litres and eight tanks holding 330 litres. This should give me a total of 5,840 litres. However, when I take the mass of the tank out of the equation in game, the mass of the total fuel in the tanks is weighing more. Where do I see what the masses are for UDMH and NTO in the configs or does anybody know why this may be occuring?

By the way I use a bass mass of -1 in MFT module and tank type service module.

On 5/2/2021 at 10:28 AM, davide96 said:

Good morning all, I have a "simple" question: is there a method to add the real fuel support to a mod? The mod in my case is redirect mod.

Thanks in advance 

Davide 

I believe you would need to write a patch for the part you want to add it to. Something like @PART [xxxxxx]:NEEDS[RealFuels]

Other things would probably need to be added like a modular fuel tanks module.

On 5/6/2021 at 12:14 PM, si2504 said:

I believe you would need to write a patch for the part you want to add it to. Something like @PART [xxxxxx]:NEEDS[RealFuels]

Other things would probably need to be added like a modular fuel tanks module.

And then I need to put the patch file in? Game data?

13 minutes ago, davide96 said:

And then I need to put the patch file in? Game data?

Yes just drop the .cfg file into Gamedata. Your best bet is to look at examples of other parts that have configs for real fuels and then you will have a rough idea how you need to write it.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Xavier513 said:

Hi, how can I change "Min Throttle" to all engines to "0%"?

I have already set "simulateUllage" and "limitedIgnitions" in RealSettings.cfg to false, this is the last "stocklike" thing I need in RSS.

@PART[*]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		@minThrust = 0
	}
}

Try placing this config into your Gamedata. It 'Should' give ALL parts with an engine config full throttle control from zero to maximum.

Edited by si2504

9 hours ago, si2504 said:

Try placing this config into your Gamedata. It 'Should' give ALL parts with an engine config full throttle control from zero to maximum.

It WORKS! Thank you! @si2504

With some minor changes though, appending following config node in "RealismOverhaul\Engine_Configs\EngineVariants_Config.cfg":

@PART[*]:FOR[RealismOverhaulEnginesPost]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleEngineConfigs]
	{
		@CONFIG,*
		{
			@minThrust = 0
		}
	}
}

Edited by Xavier513

6 hours ago, Xavier513 said:

It WORKS! Thank you! @si2504

With some minor changes though, appending following config node in "RealismOverhaul\Engine_Configs\EngineVariants_Config.cfg":

@PART[*]:FOR[RealismOverhaulEnginesPost]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleEngineConfigs]
	{
		@CONFIG,*
		{
			@minThrust = 0
		}
	}
}

Ah I didn't realize you was using RO

• 1 month later...

v13.0 released.

Changelog:

• Added ability to gate Tanks behind PartUpgrades. set partUpgradeRequired just like techRequired.
  • Add B9PS integration to apply a switch when changing engine config.
  • Add Animated Bimodal engine support so engines can have nozzles extending in flight, etc.
  • Add support for enhanced variance in engine performance. Engines now vary from engine to engine, run to run (i.e. per ignition), and during a run. Engines vary in specific impulse, flow rate, and (if they only have two major propellants) mixture ratio. This defaults to off, and replaces the previous variance system.
  • Add support for residuals. Engines can't burn all propellant in their tanks (or casings, if solid) and leave some behind unburnt. A predicted value for this is displayed on the PAW in the VAB/SPH and in flight, and it is a worst-reasonable-case estimate. NOTE: You must use the latest dev version of MechJeb (or KER, once KER accepts Butcher's PR) or the estimated delta V will be higher than what you actually get out of your stage. This defaults to off. (API integration: get the KSPfield predictedMaximumResiduals which is a multiplier to the total propellant the engine has access to that will be left unburnt.
  • Variation and residuals have reasonable guesses at default values for pump-fed and pressure-fed liquid engines and various types of solid rocket motors.
  • Support applying ECMs to PARTUPGRADEs.

3 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Add support for enhanced variance in engine performance. Engines now vary from engine to engine, run to run (i.e. per ignition), and during a run. Engines vary in specific impulse, flow rate, and (if they only have two major propellants) mixture ratio. This defaults to off, and replaces the previous variance system.

How do I enable it? By setting varianceAndResiduals to 1.0?