[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

Bug Report: When using symmetry mode to create multiple tanks at once and fill them all at once a lot of times when you launch they have no fuel in them and when you return to the VAB it tells you they cannot hold resources.

Also, would it be possible to integrate the LH2 and LOX with the life support mod? like a device that mixes them and produces drinking water or a device that turns LOX into gaseous O2 for breaking

There is definitely a problem with the stockalike engine configs and shuttle engines. Anything newer than the Big Bang 1 engine isn't supported. Has support for this engine pack been dropped, or is this something that might eventually be added?

I'd like to try real fuels without having to use the resized solar system mod.

jrandom: Sounds like you have a duplicate NP2_NTR_modularEngines.cfg sitting around somewhere if it's during that engine.

Oh, did you per instructions delete the RO folder before unzipping the new one?

Firov: correct, dtobi has been busy adding stuff, and the stockalike configs are, as a bunch of previous posts stated, current only as of MFS 3.3. I haven't heard from Chestburster recently (he's been doing those stocaklike configs) but I'm hoping he can push an update soon.

Meanwhile, you should try using one of the realism overhauls but using KIDS to scale down your Isp (make sure KIDS thrust correction is disabled, however) to "KSP to real, raw", i.e. 0.333x each to Vac and SL Isp.

jrandom: Sounds like you have a duplicate NP2_NTR_modularEngines.cfg sitting around somewhere if it's during that engine.

Oh, did you per instructions delete the RO folder before unzipping the new one?

I never merge, I always move the old one to a backup folder before installing the new one. :) I disabled the NP file in RealFuels and kept everything in RealismOverhaul and that seemed to do the trick.

ChronicSilence: Ah, that's cause I haven't uploaded latest RO yet, sorry. I should edit the post anyway. You should only use the RO linked from the second post of this thread though, until I update RO (it's listed as [0.22]...)

Zander: I have not yet been able to confirm that bug. I can mess around more...do you have a detailed list of steps to reproduce?

jrandom: ok, grep your gamedata folder for NERVA and tell me all the cfg files that contain that word. Sounds like a dupe somewhere.

By what value should I multiply the fuel volumes if moving to this from the old MFS:RFRM?

Multiply by 5. (RFRM tank volume units were 1/200th of a kiloliter. Now we're at 1/1000th, or 1 liter. We are now at DEFCON 1. Gentlemen, we have metric)

(so be sure that at least one aspect of your space program is using imperial units so you can totally screw up the conversion, have a huge committee meeting to discuss why your space probe is off course, agree to do a course correction, then not perform the course correction and finally wonder why your space probe is lost forever)

jrandom: ok, grep your gamedata folder for NERVA and tell me all the cfg files that contain that word. Sounds like a dupe somewhere.

So uh... I ah... still had the old ModularFuelTanks/ folder hanging around after installing the new RealFuels/ version...

hangs head in shame

Code:

loss_rate = defined in tank definition (0.0000000002 for LH2 in a cryo tank)

delta_temp = part_temp - resource_boiling_point

loss_per_second (liters) = tank_maxAmount * loss_rate * delta_temp

Balloon (and balloon cryo) tanks are tanks where the outer skin of the tank IS the pressure vessel, c.f. Atlas, Centaur. Only pressurization provides rigidity. This means a lighter, weaker tank. (Normally, what you see in KSP as a tank is really a whole stage, and actually has smaller pressure vessels in it, the outside being structure that holds it all together).

The servicemodule tanktype has two main differences:

*it is considered pressurized and can work with pressure-fed engines (i.e. type O) [note this isn't checked yet ingame; you're on your honor not to use type O engines with normal tanks]. It also includes some of the structure and electronics needed for upper stage "space taxis" or spacecraft service modules. (abstracted as "heavier").

*it allows the placement of ElectricCharge in it (i.e. you can fill it with batteries as well as fuel).

You're most welcome! :)

Are there any engines which can be throttled to zero thrust without disabling entirely? Its hard to plan and execute maneuvers when you need to keep turning the engine off and on (Stock and Mechjeb Maneuver planners cant give data when the engine is off)

edit: i have the latest RF and RO btw

Most of the disadvantages are outside the scope of KSP (fragile, expensive, must be monitored 24/7 by groundcrew from manufacture until launch). In KSP, the best I can do is turn down their crash tolerance and disable surface-attaching things to them.

Question. I got the "stockalike" engine config file, but it looks like the Shuttle Engines part pack might be missing? The "FSX0 Micro Shuttle Engine" won't let me change what Fuels it can use (load up the Example Craft "KM Firefly" to see.

Is that something I can easily add to the cfg file?

Alright Nathan, I've got a glitch for you.

I've come across a glitch in which the 'fuel level' display that appears next to an engine on the staging meter during flight begins to duplicate itself. Each time it duplicates, the older ones become inactive/useless. The duplicates occur each time a vessel comes off the rails from time warp. It will duplicate up to a maximum of three. And so long as the engine is connected to the ship, they will remain.

Details are below the image.

RF_Glitch_zps98ee4729.jpg

Of Boxes 1, 2, and 3, only box 3 is still functional. Boxes 1 and 2 are 'dead' and do nothing but take up space.

The Real Fuels version is V4, and I'm using the stockalike config.

I narrowed it down to real fuels after pulling several mods and slowly piecing them back in one at a time. Only when I place Real Fuels in does this happen. At this time, I am unsure if there are any additional negative effects generated by this glitch. Earlier I had the game engine lock up and refuse to return to the VAB, Space Center, or any other menu (the typical physics engine overload glitch) with barely a load at all on the physics engine. I can't verify if they're related at all, but that 'lock up' happened upon splashing down with the tank meter glitch in effect.

If you need any other data, let me know.

rottielover: The "stockalike" configs haven't been updated since MFS3.3. Chestburster had been handling them but has been rather busy of late. Hopefully we'll have an update soon.

Meanwhile, you can use this sheet https://www.dropbox.com/s/dseuvm4f6m8v4no/Calcs.xls

to generate configs. Just follow the docs on the Docs worksheet.

AdmiralTigerclaw: is this easily reproducible? (i.e. does it happen every time?) What engine?

rottielover: The "stockalike" configs haven't been updated since MFS3.3. Chestburster had been handling them but has been rather busy of late. Hopefully we'll have an update soon.

Meanwhile, you can use this sheet https://www.dropbox.com/s/dseuvm4f6m8v4no/Calcs.xls

to generate configs. Just follow the docs on the Docs worksheet.

AdmiralTigerclaw: is this easily reproducible? (i.e. does it happen every time?) What engine?

Isn't directed at me but i'll respond as well since I get the same bug here is the screenshot.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/685970520180733233/2CB60B994682D6303C5589BF8240C71F0E3DD818/

LV-909 engine consistantly reproducible if you need me to list my other mods to save time ( and my wrist ) i'll screenshot my directory.