[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

I seem to have the same problem, the stock engines, KW rocketry engines, AIES cannot be configured. In the info box it says they all use Liquid Fuel and Oxydizer. The only exception is the stock NERVA and the russian engines pack from bobcat. Also, everything was fresh install with the latest mods downloaded just an hour ago.

Just checked by my notes from when people were first finding this. It's only ALL_VESSEL, and nuclearWaste/Fuel is set to NO_FLOW/NONE, so we're safe.

Are we talking about the same thing? :confused:

It's the rates of nuclearFuel / nuclearWaste that I had to change to make it work.

Well, installed Overhaul v3 configs and still stock engines are not configurable...

Yeah, they aren't supported by base realism overhaul because they aren't very realistic. Have to use the Reaching for the Stars configs.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but I didn't see it mentioned in this thread so I'll mention it here. Sometimes when I autofill tanks, it gives me incorrect ratios. For example, I'll fill a tank with RP-1 and LOX, and the stage will burn out with a good amount of LOX left, but no RP-1. Is this is bug, or just the way it works?

I'm also getting engine shutdowns due to LOX/Kersosene/LH...etc deprivation, even when there are enough of both propellants in the tanks. This has happened at least once with every engine and every fuel mixture.

Edited by brooklyn666

That can happen in two cases:

1. You have multiple engines that use the same types of fuel, but us different ratios of that fuel, and you're filling the tank with the wrong mixture. Hovering over auto-fill buttons will tell you what engine uses which mixture; know your engines.
  2. You're using stretchy tanks, you filled the tank first and then stretched it to ridiculous proportions. That allows truncation errors to build up in the tank through the resizing; it's not as bad as it used to be, but eventually floating point errors catch up to you. Simply clear out the tanks and refill it and it should work fine.

how much does this "require" stretchytanks? because like hell am I going to throw out the sets of AIES and KW and stock

There is no requirement at all, especially with stock sized Kerbin. If you are using RSS+RO (Real Solar System and Realism Overhaul) you don't NEED Stretchy Tanks but it is much much simpler to design and build for a purpose with it (nearly everything is re-scaled so as to not fit stock sizing). If your reluctance to delete the "GameData/MODNAME/Parts/Tanks" folders for the parts mods is due to aesthetics cool, otherwise they are so easy to get rid of -just delete or zip (nice and revers-able) those folders.

NathanKell: I have a a request, nothing major but will solve the problem with people with lower res using this plus the realism overhaul.

Instead of a scroll bar for selecting fuels make it a button like selecting parts, even on a 1080p screen im still unable to scroll but able to select any of the fuels but unable to auto set the tanks makes it alittle harder. also being as I wont be able to select

So I have been having a recurring problem. I'm going to post it here but forgive me if its a known issue, as others must have run into this by now.

The problem is that quite often the first launch using CLONED tanks, results in some tanks being without fuel. Not empty, but literally not configured for any fuel whatsoever. Even though in the VAB they are fine. If I revert to VAB, then immediately go back to Launch, then the tanks are fine.

So I have been having a recurring problem. I'm going to post it here but forgive me if its a known issue, as others must have run into this by now.

The problem is that quite often the first launch using CLONED tanks, results in some tanks being without fuel. Not empty, but literally not configured for any fuel whatsoever. Even though in the VAB they are fine. If I revert to VAB, then immediately go back to Launch, then the tanks are fine.

Do you have the very latest version? And if they're stretchy tanks do you have the latest of THAT?

NathanKell: I have a a request, nothing major but will solve the problem with people with lower res using this plus the realism overhaul.

Instead of a scroll bar for selecting fuels make it a button like selecting parts, even on a 1080p screen im still unable to scroll but able to select any of the fuels but unable to auto set the tanks makes it alittle harder. also being as I wont be able to select

^ this.

I am also unable to scroll the window to select fuels farther down the list and can never get to the auto-configure buttons. Scrolling the mouse wheel does nothing. Trying to grab the scroll bar and drag it does nothing. A solution for those of us with lower resolutions would be much appreciated.

Starwaster: Huh. Weird. Maybe ModuleGenerator is more broken than I'm aware?

Hyratel: Doesn't require it at all.

Elokaynu, ssgavin1250: what OS? What other mods? I run this on my 1280x800 laptop with no issues, so it *is* possible to scroll...

Agathorn: Dangit, I thought we fixed that...

rhoark: Try J_Davis's new stockalike config? Also, try just grabbing RftSEngines (without Realism Overhaul, just grab the cfg, and remove your current stockalike config) and see if those configs appear for stock engines? Maybe something in 4.2 broke it?

There is no requirement at all, especially with stock sized Kerbin. If you are using RSS+RO (Real Solar System and Realism Overhaul) you don't NEED Stretchy Tanks but it is much much simpler to design and build for a purpose with it (nearly everything is re-scaled so as to not fit stock sizing). If your reluctance to delete the "GameData/MODNAME/Parts/Tanks" folders for the parts mods is due to aesthetics cool, otherwise they are so easy to get rid of -just delete or zip (nice and revers-able) those folders.

screenshot63.png

yeah i dont' want to hear the "it's difficult to build for RSS without RO" song. it's patently not so.

as well, I explicitly only build KW-KW and AIES-AIES, at least for launchers. payloads can be schitzo-style but launchers MUST maintain the intra-mod components (except for absent parts eg KW: decouplers) even if it means using a sub-optimal engine setup

Edited by Hyratel

*screenshot snipped*

yeah i dont' want to hear the "it's difficult to build for RSS without RO" song. it's patently not so.

as well, I explicitly only build KW-KW and AIES-AIES, at least for launchers. payloads can be schitzo-style but launchers MUST maintain the intra-mod components (except for absent parts eg KW: decouplers) even if it means using a sub-optimal engine setup

I did not "sing that song" in my post -re-read. The use of RO (hence RSS+RO) however is made much simpler using Stretchy tanks. This is what was said. I do not wish to derail the thread with some sort of strange argument about this but out of all of NK's plugs RO is the only one that claims StretchyTanks (Stretchy SRB) as a requirement, hence why I brought it up to begin with. :wink:

4.2 and the stockalike config from post #2

Most stock engines show configs in the right click menu, but the action group engine config area is blank. Only the 909 comes up with anything.

I get the same issue as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33593534/images/KSP/022/screenshot63.png

uhm I dont get it. Do you WANT someone to 'sing that' so you can have something to argue about? Otherwise I dont get what the big deal is. Play, don't play. RSS, don't RSS. Noodles, don't noodles....