[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

re: movement: Okay then. It just seemed like it could be.

Update: it's back, with more problems and more exceptions; key and null

In addition to the broken gui (stuck at two fuels again) resizing a full tank to be smaller leaves 100% of the fuel inside, then tells me it's incapable of holding fuel when I go into the action group again. There were also symmetry problems; removing engines from one side of a bilateral stack only removed them from one side. The native staging GUI on the bottom right also only recognized a partial list of SRBs, though all worked on the launchpad.

<SNIP>

it's a mess

do you want my entire log? Trying to excerpt so you don't have to deal with 10,000 lines of code.

It's ok to post the entire output_log.txt file. If you think it's too large and can repro the problem (which it sounds like you can) then just start up a game, do just enough to trigger the errors then exit the game and put the file on dropbox and post the link here.

I really don't know what to say about those errors, they pretty much run the spectrum... FAR, GUI errors with the toolbar, SRB problem and other unknown NRE.

Hmmm. Just from those two, it really doesn't seem like your Modular Fuels plugin is up to date. Because the SRB problem you're describing is from back in December... or even earlier. It's been fixed a long time ago.

cardgame, thanks for the log! Zipping and uploading the whole thing somewhere would be helpful too, if you don't mind, just in case, although you did some good snipping there. I'll look at it when I get home, and I alerted taniwha (who's done most of the tank code for RF/MFT).

Ninja'd. Starwaster, I can confirm the SRB issue has reappeared. :(

Also, the FAR error is IIRC harmless; some control surfaces bug out on load but work ok ingame. Dunno about the KER thing; try playing with MJ rather than KER for a few days just in case that's contributing.

All of the mods I've downloaded are at their most recent version as of ~3 days ago. I collected ~half from the forums and the other half from a 1 day old reddit post with links to forum/spaceport.

I'll be a bit preoccupied until March, I'll check back in a week or so with a full log if you still need it.

cardgame, thanks for the log! Zipping and uploading the whole thing somewhere would be helpful too, if you don't mind, just in case, although you did some good snipping there. I'll look at it when I get home, and I alerted taniwha (who's done most of the tank code for RF/MFT).

Ninja'd. Starwaster, I can confirm the SRB issue has reappeared. :(

Also, the FAR error is IIRC harmless; some control surfaces bug out on load but work ok ingame. Dunno about the KER thing; try playing with MJ rather than KER for a few days just in case that's contributing.

Well, dang, I was not aware the SRB bug was back :(

How do you put two types of fuels in one tank?

Like if I want LOx and some other fuel in the same tank how do you do it?

USAGE:

You can access all RF-related GUIs ingame by going to the Action Group editor in the VAB/SPH and clicking on a tank, engine, or RCS module. If supported, the GUI will appear.

For tanks:

At the top will appear the total tank mass (wet), the tank dry mass, the available, used, and total volume (in liters). Below appears the set of resources that may be added to the tank, and the current amounts and max amounts (if any).

If there are engines on the vessel, and available volume in the tank, autoconfigure buttons will appear at the bottom of the list, one for each fuel mixture used by the engines on the vessel. When you hover the cursor over an autoconfigure button, a tooltip will appear showing the engines that use that mixture. Click an autoconfigure button to automatically configure remaining volume for that mixture.

Note that gases and electric charge have multiple "units" per tank liter, since gases are given in liters at STP but stored under pressure, and electric charge is in KJ.

USAGE:

You can access all RF-related GUIs ingame by going to the Action Group editor in the VAB/SPH and clicking on a tank, engine, or RCS module. If supported, the GUI will appear.

For tanks:

At the top will appear the total tank mass (wet), the tank dry mass, the available, used, and total volume (in liters). Below appears the set of resources that may be added to the tank, and the current amounts and max amounts (if any).

If there are engines on the vessel, and available volume in the tank, autoconfigure buttons will appear at the bottom of the list, one for each fuel mixture used by the engines on the vessel. When you hover the cursor over an autoconfigure button, a tooltip will appear showing the engines that use that mixture. Click an autoconfigure button to automatically configure remaining volume for that mixture.

Note that gases and electric charge have multiple "units" per tank liter, since gases are given in liters at STP but stored under pressure, and electric charge is in KJ.

Got it thanks.

Shad0wCatcher: LCH4 NTR is already pretty high thrust; I'm not sure you'd need to burn LOx. But I can't imagine methalox would be higher-temperature than hydrolox (which you have to burn way fuel-rich because a near-stoich ratio is too hot).

Raptor831: I'm sorry, I don't know of any configs yet. I've been meaning to add spaceplane support to RF/RO for a while but .23 and the massive work put into making RF .23-compatible scotched that for some time. For now, I'd suggest just whipping up a simple patch that replaces LF with Kerosene for those engines, although even if you don't the only downside is your LF will be ~22% denser than kerosene so you can carry slightly more.

Techlevels notionally support changing velocityCurves, but that's not actually config'd yet. You can try making techlevels for jets if you like, but you'll have to use the new form.

Aghanim: sounds like you haven't installed a set of engine configs. Check the second post of this thread.

brooklyn666: Right now you can either have faked-up bipropellant RCS, *or* you can have modular/techlevel RCS, not both. We need to make a new RCS module, really.

cardgame: That sounds very strange; I'm pretty sure some people have no trouble with RF on Macs (heck, ialdabaoth who first created Modular Fuel Tanks uses a Mac!) so my hunch is it's an install error. Make sure you don't have a ModularFuelTanks folder in GameData and that there's only one Module Manager dll *anywhere* in GameData. If that fails, post your output_log (which is, IIRC, stuck in some other folder on the Mac...)

I have installed it:

Engine Configs

Download and install ONLY ONE.

"Stock" engine configs updated by Chestburster. Download and place in your RealFuels folder. Updated 1/20/14

OR

Realism Overhaul v3. Comes with either SFJackBauer's RealEngines or my Reaching for the Stars engines (install as directed in the post)

I already have Realism Overhaul, but install only one means that I couldn't install stock engine config

lireaper: Eh? What fuel are you using?

Aghanim: verify you have (in GameData) a SFJBRealEngines folder with two RealEngines cfg files in it.

(And if you want different engine configs, delete that folder; you'll still have RO, but you can install either stockalike engine configs or RftS engine configs).

Edited by NathanKell

How are you using Real Fuels again? Did you forget to install a set of engine configs?

....at this point I highly recommend you do the following: Nuke your KSP install, install KSP fresh, and then install using the Mod bundler here: forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67668

It will get you up and running with a complete set of realism mods.

Hey, I have installed this and I have a problem, I CANT CONFIGURE THE ENGINES!

Here is a list of the mods I am using:

Mods used for KSP Moded.

KwRocketry

B9Aerospace

Space shuttle engines

Kethane

Engineer

Kerbal Attachment System

Mech Jeb

Editor extensions

Deadly reentry

FAR

RCS Build aid

Infernal Robotics

Nova(slug)Punch

HGR stock alike pods

Interstellar mod

6S service compartments

toolbar

joint reinforcement

TAC life support

AIES Aerospace

KW procedural fairings

Kerbal Alarm Clock

procedural fairings

Real Fuels

HullcamVDS

RealChute Parachutes

If this mod does not work with one of these mods up here let me know. Thanks.

Hey, I have installed this and I have a problem, I CANT CONFIGURE THE ENGINES!

Here is a list of the mods I am using:

Mods used for KSP Moded.

<SNIP!>

If this mod does not work with one of these mods up here let me know. Thanks.

Sounds like you didn't install a set of engine config files. Real Fuels no longer comes with any. Read the first (second?) post. There's a bunch listed for you to pick from.

Sounds like you didn't install a set of engine config files. Real Fuels no longer comes with any. Read the first (second?) post. There's a bunch listed for you to pick from.

Can someone provide me with a link to some configs for these mods?

KwRocketry

B9Aerospace

Space shuttle engines

Nova(slug)Punch

AIES Aerospace

Thank you.

*Edit* also Kethane and interstellar mod.

Edited by Titan Space Agency

Optiso: sounds like you might have a SFJBRealEngines folder hanging around in GameData. Delete it.

If not (or even if so) open StockEngines.cfg in Notepad and verify that the line

@PART[liquidEngine2]:Final //LV-T45

exists.

Also...why is it showing up with that padlock over it?

Titan Space Agency: KWR, NP2, and AIES are covered by all three sets of engine configs. B9 and Space Shuttle Engines have partial support. Interstellar should work out of the box.

padlock was caused by lacking permissions. It's fixed now, but no change. I do not have SFJRealEngines anywhere in my gamefolder, and there doesn't seem to be anything missing in the stockengines.cfg

Edited by Optiso

This mod has been more confusing ever since Nathan took the mod (not saying he is a bad guy, he's an awesome guy), I mean, I am having to find the stuff on how to get this mod to work with NovaPunch, KwRocketry, and Aies aerospace (not to mention squad) engines to work. If someone can tell me how to get the configs for these mods, please do.