[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

So, you've renamed some mods' folders (never do this, it often breaks them), installed a mod into the Parts folder (never, ever do this--any mod released in the last year, literally, goes in GameData), and...I don't see anything obvious in the log. I suggest you start fresh, and follow *exactly* the install instructions of each mod you download. Let me know if that fixes it.

If anyone wants this, I have created some Real Fuels configs for the new parts in .23.5. The engines are made with the help of Chestburster's .xls file found here.

Engine Config here.

This is a stock-alike config, masses are adjusted to fit the stock thrusts. In addition to the mods from the original .xls, I've added FTmN engines, the SXT pack, and of course the ARM parts. Each mod uses slightly different fuel ratios and some use different types, just to change things up a bit. Also, all engines are fully throttle-able. I use this with useRealisticMass = false and it works well with stock Kerbin and FAR. Can't say about using them with RO though, so YMMV. There's also a Fuel Tank config for the new fuel tanks in the .zip file for good measure.

If anyone wants the .xls I have, let me know and I'll put it up somewhere.

If anyone wants this, I have created some Real Fuels configs for the new parts in .23.5. The engines are made with the help of Chestburster's .xls file found here.

Engine Config here.

This is a stock-alike config, masses are adjusted to fit the stock thrusts. In addition to the mods from the original .xls, I've added FTmN engines, the SXT pack, and of course the ARM parts. Each mod uses slightly different fuel ratios and some use different types, just to change things up a bit. Also, all engines are fully throttle-able. I use this with useRealisticMass = false and it works well with stock Kerbin and FAR. Can't say about using them with RO though, so YMMV. There's also a Fuel Tank config for the new fuel tanks in the .zip file for good measure.

Oh nice :D Didn't take an ingame look yet so I just ask. Did you orient on real word counterparts of ARM , for example the cluster engine using HydroLOX as those are SSMEs ?

Oh nice :D Didn't take an ingame look yet so I just ask. Did you orient on real word counterparts of ARM , for example the cluster engine using HydroLOX as those are SSMEs ?

I just took the stock thrust and edited the mass to be appropriate. The fuel types are Kerolox, MMH+N2O4, and Hydrolox on all of the new engines, so you can certainly use them appropriately. They all default to Kerolox though.

Raptor831: Do want (xls that is). I'll update post 2. Thanks!

(I may, for stockalike "simple" feel, adjust so all ratios are consistent in fuel groups...IMO if you're wanting a stockalike feel you probably want hydrolox tanks to always work for hydrolox engines...)

Is there a reason, I can't fill monopropellants inside normal fuel tanks anymore? If I want to do so, what do I have to change, that the game doesn't get unbalanced?

And when comes the update for 0.23.5?

Is there a reason, I can't fill monopropellants inside normal fuel tanks anymore? If I want to do so, what do I have to change, that the game doesn't get unbalanced?

And when comes the update for 0.23.5?

Yes, one of the recent updates changed that so only service module type tanks can store the monopropellant fuels. You can just these in place of the regular tanks if you want, I don't know of a way to modify the default tanks to do so.

Raptor831: Do want (xls that is). I'll update post 2. Thanks!

(I may, for stockalike "simple" feel, adjust so all ratios are consistent in fuel groups...IMO if you're wanting a stockalike feel you probably want hydrolox tanks to always work for hydrolox engines...)

Here's the .xls: http://cl.ly/1d0t25251c3L

My reasoning for the differing ratios was simply for variety. I figured each mod was a manufacturer, and that every manufacturer was using their own set of "optimal" ratios for their particular hardware (like how BMW's might want higher octane fuels than say Ford).

But, by all means, change away! :) It would be much simpler that way, I agree. I've caught myself using a tank filled for a previous engine, and wasted LOX in the process. Mission control was not happy that day... :rolleyes:

Spanier: Monopropellants are stored under high pressure; you therefore need a tanktype that supports highly-pressurized storage for pressure-fed engines (ServiceModule) rather than a tanktype that stores low-pressure propellants for pump-fed engines (everything else).

Since RF works fine with .23.5, and since I've spent the last week or so moving (so many boxes...) I've not felt the urgency to release. Soon

Raptor831: thanks!

Yeah, since I play with (my own) RftSEngines, you're preaching to the choir here with engine-specific mixture ratios. It's just my assumption is that if you don't want realistic engines, you probably don't want realistic variation in mixture ratios. :D

ialdabaoth: I gave them that thrust per request, and because they were already the exact mass of the real-life SABRE (though the real-life SABRE is 4.5m in diameter). I need to talk with camlost about how best to handle combined-cycle engines...

ialdabaoth: I gave them that thrust per request, and because they were already the exact mass of the real-life SABRE (though the real-life SABRE is 4.5m in diameter). I need to talk with camlost about how best to handle combined-cycle engines...

I'd be happy with just the ability to have MFT let me pick which mode it should look at when autofilling tanks so I can get the mixture right w/out having to pull up a spreadsheet every time I toss on a new tank. :)

Ah, right. That. Blargh. I'll fix it when I can.

In other news...

v5.1 \/

*Fixed RCS Sounds compatibility

*Fixed g0 constant in all RF-compatible engines to be the real 9.80665m/s rather than KSP's 9.82m/s (even though elsewhere they use 9.81, for engines they use 9.82).

*Fixed semi-automatic ModuleEnginesFX support to actually work.

*Preliminary tweakables support from swamp_ig

*Support new ARM tanks (taniwha)

*Support TurboNiso tanks (Spanier)

*Recompiled for .23.5

*Changed DLL name. YOU MUST DELETE OLD RF FOLDER BEFORE INSTALLING v5.1!

Just wondering, I'm still wanting to stay on KSP 0.23 for now until most mods are confirmed issue free or updated for 0.23.5

All the mods I've seen updated for KSP 0.23.5 don't ever seem to mention whether or not their new KSP 0.23.5 versions are still back compatible with KSP 0.23

A few still have links to their 0.23 version, but most don't.....

So will this still be okay for use on 0.23? As I fancy trying out Realfuels and ect but don't want to move to 0.23.5 yet for the aforementioned reasons.

Cheers :-)

Is someone working at an implementation of the new NASA engines like in Chestburster's .cfg for Stock-Engines?

Pssst...Just look two pages previous to this one :wink:

Engine Config here.

Is someone working at an implementation of the new NASA engines like in Chestburster's .cfg for Stock-Engines?

If you use the file DasBananenbrot mentioned, you can delete the NASAmission_ModularFuelTanks.cfg that comes with it, as the new v5.1 that just came out includes those tanks. :)

I decided to try this out with stockalike but even if i set " %useRealisticMass = false" i still get massivley light tanks i.e. a Kerolox mainsail and a single jumbo-64 is an SSTO. Any idea what could be causing this?