[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

Shouldn't be the ROUND-8 toroidal fuel tank more like a "cryogenic balloon" tank, then just "cryogenic".

No, tanks like that have structural rigidity even when unfilled. Balloon tanks need to be filled or they can collapse.

toroidal tanks btw (IRL) were originally designed for use for craft that are expected to spin in flight.

I'm having some issues making the RCS work. Its not a fuel flow issue as the thrusters are sitting directly on the tank (filled with a little of all the RCS fuels for testing). I think I may have missed something in the install because I cannot select what type of fuel my RCS blocks use. I downloaded the stock engine cfg file and everything else works fine. Is there a separate download for the RCS blocks?

Thanks.

OK figured out that the RCS blocks aren't included in chestbursters engine configs which is why I was confused.

Is there any way for me to get the RCS blocks to work with RF without using realism overhaul?

Thanks.

OK figured out that the RCS blocks aren't included in chestbursters engine configs which is why I was confused.

Is there any way for me to get the RCS blocks to work with RF without using realism overhaul?

Thanks.

Maybe ialdabaoth's ModuleRCSFX plugin? not sure what stage of development it's in but alternate fuels is implemented. Including the possibility of ion thrusters

I'm curious, does the Stockalike Config also support the newer KAX (Kerbal Aircraft Expansion) engines like the turboprop or radial engine? I searched through the thread, but I didn't see anything.

Stockalike configs is basically without a home right now, we need a volunteer to step up and maintain them.

In other news:

Changelog:

v5.3 \/

*Fix DLL

*Upgrade Kethane converter config to eadrom's.

*Fix ModuleRCSFX compatibility to be non-destructive

*Fix fixed launch clamp pumps (taniwha)

*Upgrade to ModuleManager v2.1.0

Is the absurd thrust of B9's Sabre M intentional? I made an SSTO with a T:W ratio of 7 at full throttle which makes it into space with 1/2 of its fuel left.

Its thrust is based on the data available the actual projected specs of the SABRE engine as is its mass.

Honestly, did you even TRY to research this? Did you look up Skylon? SABRE? Did you bother to search the thread with the handy search function that would have told you this?

That's what's absurd.

Its thrust is based on the data available the actual projected specs of the SABRE engine as is its mass.

Honestly, did you even TRY to research this? Did you look up Skylon? SABRE? Did you bother to search the thread with the handy search function that would have told you this?

That's what's absurd.

Thanks for the helpful reply; I'll keep it in mind next time.

Is the absurd thrust of B9's Sabre M intentional? I made an SSTO with a T:W ratio of 7 at full throttle which makes it into space with 1/2 of its fuel left.

Are you flying this mod on regular sized kerbin, with stock aerodynamics and none of the other RO mods? And to futher back up starwaster, are you aware that the SABER is not some ficticious imagining? Are you at all familiar with energy densities of various propellents? Are you aware that you represent the very reason we cannot have nice things?

Perhaps in the future, you should do some actual RESEARCH, which today is as easy as TYPING A FEW WORDS. Seriously its crazy how you DONT EVEN HAVE TO STAND UP to find this kind of information.

EDIT: You previously represented the reason we could not have nice things. Now it seems you are on the path of nice-things-ness. Continue onwards.

Edited by Dirt_Merchant

Alternatively, you can wait for my RealKerbolSystem release, which will have all parts (including the B9) scaled to appropriate masses/thrusts given their size. The real SABRE actually DOES have the 'absurd' TWR given, but it's also nearly 4 meters in diameter. A real one would be about 40% of the mass and thrust (so same absurd TWR, but shrunk down Kerbal-sized.)

Nathan I have this problem, especially when building vessels that have to align themselves a lot via RCS during a mission.

When I give a probe a stretchy service tank and fill it with as much hydrazine as I need, I allways configure the twr and delta afterwards through tank stretching. This tank stretching leads to the amount of hydrazine to change which is very annoying and makes planning difficult, but can't be avoided.

Can you maybe implement a feature into Real fuels where you can lock a certain type of fuel, so it won't get affected by the tank stretching (unless there isn't enough volume in the tank of course!)?

I'm curious, does the Stockalike Config also support the newer KAX (Kerbal Aircraft Expansion) engines like the turboprop or radial engine? I searched through the thread, but I didn't see anything.

The aircraft/spaceplane engines were untouched in my latest contribution to the Stockalike config. In my personal install, I just set the propellants properly (LiquidFuel --> Kerosene) and they work just fine. That's pretty much what RealFuels does to B9 engines out of the box, IIRC. Here's a MM config for just that:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines]:HAS[@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]],HAS[@PROPELLANT[IntakeAir]]]:Final
{
@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
{
@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
{
@name = Kerosene
}
}
}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]:HAS[@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]],HAS[@PROPELLANT[IntakeAir]]]:Final
{
@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
{
@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
{
@name = Kerosene
}
}
}

This should catch every engine that needs the switch.

As for tanks, that's a different story. :)

EDIT: Fixed a code error. Blasted brackets...

Edited by Raptor831
Bad code... missed ending bracket

Engine Configs

Download and install ONLY ONE.

"Stock" engine configs updated by Raptor831 and Chestburster. Download and place in your RealFuels folder. Updated 4/14/14

OR

Realism Overhaul v3. Comes with either SFJackBauer's RealEngines or my Reaching for the Stars engines (install as directed in the post)

OR

Roll your own configs. Here is the spreadsheet I use to make engine configs. It's currently set for RftSEngines because that's what I use. Docs on the first sheet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lz2ntsqhwe192xv/Calcs.xls

It's always at that link, so keep it around and check it for updates.

===========

Stockalikes: this set is mostly as of MFS 3.3, as updated by Chestburster and myself (though J_Davis and Chestburster are currently reworking it to use all the new goodies in RF v4). This tries not to change thrust or mass from what you're used to, with only a couple necessary exceptions (when TWR is *way* out of whack, mass was changed). Supports the most engines.

RealEngines: by SFJackBauer, it uses various models (from various parts packs) to represent real-world engines like the Merlin 1D, the SSME, the RS-27, Vulcain 2, RD-107, etc. Like the other two, only the patches are included; you need the part packs too. Because Squad's engines don't look like real engines, they're not supported. RealEngines supports the least number of engines, but each one is lovingly set to be an exact 1:1 performance clone of a real engine, with as close a model as SFJackBauer could find or tweak.

Reaching for the Stars Engines: by me, it's a set of realistic engine configs: that is, a set of configs that mimic real-world performance but where no particular engine is a 100% copy of a real-world engine. It's designed for the universe I describe in my Mission Reports series. Because I'm not constrained by needing to duplicate the look of realworld engines, RftSEngines does support Squad engines and many others. Many engines have their sizes, masses, and roles changed quite a bit.

So I'm working on a easier to use version of the calc sheet would you mind explaining the function of the RT, MISC, & ObjDump sheets? They don't seem to be related directly to engine configurations.

Also, Thinking of making available fuel types linked to tech nodes; so that you have to research more advance fuels to make them available..any thoughts on how to do this/has anyone already looked into this?

Thanks!

You can ignore those three sheets. The RT one just has some of my Remotetech2 math; Misc is just miscellaneous calculations; and ObjDump is for ease in dumping members of some PQS-related objects. Delete all three sheets if you like.

Easier how? I'm interested! :)

I had planned to do that (tech requirements for CONFIGs, and for resources to appear on the list) but got sidetracked. I'll put it back to the head of the pile, unless you have a burning desire to add it yourself :)

It looks like the Heat Pump has a button to turn it on, but no button to turn it off. I know it had both in .23. I tried RealFuels 5.2 and 5.3, and neither had an off button. Once you turn it on, it's on forever.

dont know if this has been asked before but I just fired up rss on my ubuntu install so I can max the hell out of mods and textures, and I cant scroll down on hte fuel tank gui , so cant reach the mono , or the preset mixed tanks ect , scroll wheel dont work and the scroll bar will not grab to scroll down either, figured I would as first abd keep trying to figure it out

It looks like the Heat Pump has a button to turn it on, but no button to turn it off. I know it had both in .23. I tried RealFuels 5.2 and 5.3, and neither had an off button. Once you turn it on, it's on forever.

Urgh, sounds like an old bug that crept back in. I've got some stuff I wanted to submit for the heat pump; I'll take a look at the context menu issue. It's probably something simple that got reverted.