[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

Ive been having some NRE spam as of late and if from what i can understand in my logs is right something is happening with RealFuels and maybe Procedural Parts or FAR. Im slowly learning how to read these things.

LOG

Player.log

Im on Linux so there is alot of mods so sorry if its a little messy. RSS/RO/RVE complete works ( more or less ).

Edited by Motokid600

I see RF throwing in SetThrust, I'll look into why that might be.

Kitspace, yep, I was calculating it myself based. As for acceleration, it's neither uncontrolled (guidance can still control things), nor unlimited (it can never go higher than tonnes thrust / stage dry mass, even if there is no payload whatsoever).

Faster: It's the role of the engine config pack to handle engine ignitor configuration (if any). RF itself does not configure engines. Realism Overhaul does feature EI configs as part of its real engine configs; RftS did as well. Dunno about Stockalike. In any case, however, one should not unzip the configs zip that comes with Engine Ignitor; it's for people not using RealFuels at all.

I have been trying to make my RL-10 work properly but I haven't had much luck with this problem.

I have the moduleEngineFX and the moduleEngineConfigs modules in the config.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/rl10problem1.png

When I drop in my engine it defaults to the standard values. The engine is throttlable, and despite what kerbal engineer might make you believe, the engine increases the fuel flow with the reduced ISP.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/rl10problem2.png

However, if I right click on the engine I can press "current configuration"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/rl10problem3.png

When I do so the engine switches to the values in the moduleEngineConfigs module, and the engine works as it should.

Here is the relevant config section

MODULE
{
name = ModuleEnginesFX
engineID = ClosedCycle
runningEffectName = running_closed
engineID = RL102b
thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
exhaustDamage = True
allowShutdown = true
throttleLocked = False
minThrust = 111.2055
maxThrust = 111.2055
heatProduction = 50
fxOffset = 0, 0, 0.0
useEngineResponseTime = True
engineAccelerationSpeed = 5.50
engineDecelerationSpeed = 6.80

PROPELLANT
{
name = LqdHydrogen
ratio = 0.734
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = LqdOxygen
ratio = 0.266
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 462
key = 1 55
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleEngineConfigs
engineType = U+
configuration = Vacuum
modded = false
CONFIG
{
name = LqdHydrogen+LqdOxygen
minThrust = 111.2055
maxThrust = 111.2055
heatProduction = 50
PROPELLANT
{
name = LqdHydrogen
ratio = 0.734
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = LqdOxygen
ratio = 0.266
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 462
key = 1 124
}

}
}

So my question is how do I get it to use the real fuels config by default? Also have I made some silly mistakes?

I have been trying to make my RL-10 work properly but I haven't had much luck with this problem.

I have the moduleEngineFX and the moduleEngineConfigs modules in the config.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/rl10problem1.png

When I drop in my engine it defaults to the standard values. The engine is throttlable, and despite what kerbal engineer might make you believe, the engine increases the fuel flow with the reduced ISP.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/rl10problem2.png

However, if I right click on the engine I can press "current configuration"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/rl10problem3.png

When I do so the engine switches to the values in the moduleEngineConfigs module, and the engine works as it should.

So my question is how do I get it to use the real fuels config by default? Also have I made some silly mistakes?

Yep you made a mistake. Under ModuleEngineConfigs - configuration=Vacuum needs to be made to match the 'name' under the CONFIG section in this case, 'LqdHydrogen+LqdOxygen'. Doesn't matter what it is, but they need to match.

Worked like a charm! Thank you very much :D

Edit*

One thing I noticed is that the useEngineResponseTime function response time appears to work when the engine is shutting down, but not when I start it. For the RL10 this doesn't matter to much, but I would like to have that on the RS-25 so I can give it that distinctive ignition sound.

Edited by maccollo

I have to say, I absolutely love the mod, but I have a problem:

Whenever I try to use this mod with Kerbal Construction Time, the fuel boils off before it even gets to the launch pad. Does the pump in the launch clamps provide fuel to the spacecraft to prevent this from happening?

Do you have the latest release of KCT? It was supposed to fix that issue.

I have to say, I absolutely love the mod, but I have a problem:

Whenever I try to use this mod with Kerbal Construction Time, the fuel boils off before it even gets to the launch pad. Does the pump in the launch clamps provide fuel to the spacecraft to prevent this from happening?

I think Real Fuels can do that even without KCT installed. (I've seen it happen and I don't have KCT at all)

Changelog:

v9.0

* Added notes on tank types to the notes section at the bottom of the readme.

* Switch to taniwha's refactor of MFT (should fix a lot of bugs).

* Refactor TechLevels, fix longstanding techlevel override bug.

* Change so it's not ElectricCharge the resource that costs funds, but rather how much capacity you have.

* Fixed bug where an engine that shares FX betwqeen CONFIGs could have its FX shut down.

* Removed deprecated StretchyTanks clones.

* Add techRequired support for resources and for tank types.

* Add gimbal support to modular engines (TechLevel changing or CONFIG changing can change gimbal). Supports only stock gimbal for now.

* Cost for engines increases with TechLevel.

Seems that my RO install experiences some weird problems, being not able to detect Tank Type configs:

ub_Al82KuBE.jpg

EDIT: Details from log.

[LOG 15:23:04.803] [VersionTaggedType] found KSPAPIExtensions.OnEditorUpdateUtility_1_7_2_0 for KSPAPIExtensions.OnEditorUpdateUtility
[LOG 15:23:04.806] *MFS* Loading global settings
[EXC 15:23:04.829] ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
System.Collections.ObjectModel.KeyedCollection`2[TKey,TItem].InsertItem (Int32 index, .TItem item)
System.Collections.ObjectModel.Collection`1[T].Add (.T item)
RealFuels.ModuleFuelTanks+FuelTankList.Load (.ConfigNode node)
RealFuels.MFSSettings+TankDefinition.Load (.ConfigNode node)
RealFuels.MFSSettings+TankDefinition..ctor (.ConfigNode node)
RealFuels.MFSSettings.Awake ()
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent()
RealFuels.MFSSettings:get_Instance()
RealFuels.ModuleFuelTanks:get_Settings()
RealFuels.ModuleFuelTanks:OnAwake()
PartModule:Awake()
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
Part:AddModule(String)
Part:AddModule(ConfigNode)
PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
:MoveNext()

Edited by Niemand303

Hi Nathan,

The volume values for the two Xenon tanks appear to be incorrect.

The radial tank is about 2/3 the size of the stackable tank and yet can hold nearly 3 times as much Xenon.

xenonTank (PB-X150)

Stock capacity: 700 units of Xenon

Real Fuels capacity: 70 L

xenonTankRadial (PB-X50R)

Stock capacity: 400 units of Xenon

Real Fuels capacity: 200 L

I haven't taken the time to understand how you're representing density and pressurisation etc so I'm not sure what order of magnitude these values should be, but I am sure that these values are incorrect relative to each other.

Squad_modularFuelTanks.cfg

@PART[xenonTank]:FOR[RealFuels]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 70
type = Xenon
}
}

@PART[xenonTankRadial]:FOR[RealFuels]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 200
type = Xenon
}
}

New to using this mod, installed Realism Overhaul recently, updated to 0.90 this morning.

I've got a ship with a KVD-1/CE 7.5 Vacuum Engine in its orbital insertion stage. Got to 200km, staged at full thrust. Animation, sounds, everything. TWR 1.2. Kerbal Engineer reported that I should have been accelerating at >10m/s^2. G meter showed nothing, though, and my orbital/surface speed wasn't going up. I didn't have a stuck part blocking thrust as far as I could see (getting the separators pointed in the right direction is sometimes a challenge, heh).

I could be doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. Could be a bug?

It actually looks like it's thrusting sideways. The animation is pointed in a weird direction, and my apoapsis is changing under thrust, but stops changing if I turn thrust off.

And if I lock the gimbal, I get precession.

Edited by rbos

Seems that my RO install experiences some weird problems, being not able to detect Tank Type configs:

i experienced that same problem, but it seems that updating to v9.0 fixed this for me. ckan and avc still list 8.4 as the current version, though, so it took me a while (and your post and collecting data on my installation to supply additional info) to find out about the new version, and that i didn't already have it...

i experienced that same problem, but it seems that updating to v9.0 fixed this for me. ckan and avc still list 8.4 as the current version, though, so it took me a while (and your post and collecting data on my installation to supply additional info) to find out about the new version, and that i didn't already have it...

Thanks for help and welcome to the forums! Seems like I missed the version mismatch. :)

Hey gang! Love the mod, I really enjoy the enhancement to fun it makes when playing on 6.4x mode.

Found a fun bug in (either/or/both) Real Fuels and/or/both ModuleManager. I've posted my report over there as well, but they suggested inquiring here as well.

The basics of the bug is that with ModuleManager 2.5.9, all is well. Trying to upgrade Real Fuels to version 9.0 brought with it ModuleManager 2.5.12. This caused my install to crash/stall/blow up on launch. After some head scratching, it was determined that ModuleManager was the 'culprit', as rolling it back allowed for the game to load.

The last bit of the log goes something like

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/RCS-OMS/SYoms2/SYoms2'

Added sound_rocket_mini to FXGroup running

PartLoader Warning: Variable oldMaxTemp not found in Part

PartLoader Warning: Variable tempMult not found in Part

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/SRBs/SYSRB_1875/SYSRB_1875L09/SYSRB_1875S'

PartLoader Warning: Variable oldMaxTemp not found in Part

PartLoader Warning: Variable tempMult not found in Part

FormatException: Invalid format.
at System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Single.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.DoConfig (.ConfigNode cfg) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.SetConfiguration (System.String newConfiguration) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.AddModule (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PartLoader.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

FormatException: Invalid format.
at System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Single.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.DoConfig (.ConfigNode cfg) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.SetConfiguration (System.String newConfiguration) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

I've uploaded the full log and ModuleManager cache to my dropbox, a shared link of which is found here

Like I said, rolling back the ModuleManager version returns the system to good working order, but I figured that you guys might like to see what might be going on in case this breaks for anyone else in the future.

This is all on OS X 10.10, 32 bit (of course) KSP.

Thanks all, and again, love the mod.

EDIT: To add: Normally I run with Snacks! installed, but it spams the log something horrible. I pulled it out for this log creation, but in full disclosure, it's normally in there.

EDITEDIT: A clean install of Real Fuels + 2.5.13 loads correctly. Checking the engine pack now (Stockalike). This seems to be it... it can't find ModuleEngineIgnitor and halts there... Hmm. I will ask over there next. Sorry to be a pest here! ><

Edited by komodo

The basics of the bug is that with ModuleManager 2.5.9, all is well. Trying to upgrade Real Fuels to version 9.0 brought with it ModuleManager 2.5.12. This caused my install to crash/stall/blow up on launch. After some head scratching, it was determined that ModuleManager was the 'culprit', as rolling it back allowed for the game to load.

I had a similar issue. Using ModuleManager 2.5.13 seemed to fix it. Try that perhaps?

Hi Nathan,

The volume values for the two Xenon tanks appear to be incorrect.

The radial tank is about 2/3 the size of the stackable tank and yet can hold nearly 3 times as much Xenon.

xenonTank (PB-X150)

Stock capacity: 700 units of Xenon

Real Fuels capacity: 70 L

xenonTankRadial (PB-X50R)

Stock capacity: 400 units of Xenon

Real Fuels capacity: 200 L

I haven't taken the time to understand how you're representing density and pressurisation etc so I'm not sure what order of magnitude these values should be, but I am sure that these values are incorrect relative to each other.

Not all of a stack mounted tank's volume can be allocated to tankage. Some of that has to go to structure so it can support the stack.

Not all of a stack mounted tank's volume can be allocated to tankage. Some of that has to go to structure so it can support the stack.

Obviously, but not 3/4 of its volume!

Even if you say internally the tanks must be spherical because of the pressure, the geometry would indicate their capacities should be equal at least. That would still leave 1/3 of its volume for structure.

OminousPenguin, thanks for the catch. Fixing!

Thanks.

I just looked up the pressure that Xenon is stored at on space craft and it's in the region of 62 atmospheres.

At this pressure Xenon has a density of 359.58 kg/m3

Is the litres value specified supposed to be the volume when pressurised? What does the utilisation property do?

Is the idea that engines should have have realistic specific impulses and fuels should have realistic mass, but the flow rate is adjusted for gameplay purposes?

Sorry for my noob questions.

Edited by OminousPenguin