[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

11 hours ago, piggermortis said:

Tanks not draining during flight in both sim and real flight from both proc tanks and ro tanks. My first rocket is going past 500km. Standard RP-1 install. Reverted to last version and problem is gone.

This has been fixed in RF v13.5.3; apologies.

• 3 weeks later...

I stumbled upon a weird problem with this mod

Engines work just fine with their default fuel setting, but when I switch to a different fuel (like switching Terrier to LH2/LOX) the enginecan be activated and throttled, but there's no thrust, no fuel usage, no visual effects.
Anyone had this problem before?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this stems from B9PartSwitch or Real fuels or is an inevitable interaction of both, but I thought I'd ask if there is a way around it:

I'm trying to write some configs that apply realfuels to various mods, in this case Bluedog. Bluedog makes quite extensive use of B9PartSwitch to keep part count down. I've had great results working with engines, using B9PartSwitch's MODULE fields to switch engine configurations. So I tried a similar approach to change tank volume when B9 switches tank size in parts. Which appears to work, switch tank configurations increase or decrease tank volume as expected in the editor, and resources can be added. But, if the tank is set to anything but the default config when loaded in the flight scene all the resources are removed. I've tried some workarounds, like setting utilisation instead of volume, which still allows growing and shrinking the tanks in the editor, but resources are still deleted in the flight scene.

I don't think this is a bug, it seems to be more intended behaviour. If you change tank volume in the editor the resources are removed, so I think what's happening is B9 is setting tank volume as the vessel is loaded in flight, and that's discarding the tank contents. My question is: Is there some way around this? Some field to target that will allow me to increase tank volume and preserve contents in flight?

At the moment the only way I can see for getting around this would be to clone the part for each tank volume and remove the B9PartSwitch.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I noticed that it is possible to enable/disable ullage and number of ignitions in RealSettings config file for all engines. I am wonder if it is possible to change the actual settings for a specific engine ?

Thanks a lot

9 hours ago, Cagz said:

I noticed that it is possible to enable/disable ullage and number of ignitions in RealSettings config file for all engines. I am wonder if it is possible to change the actual settings for a specific engine ?

Thanks a lot

Sure, just write an mm patch and edit the ignitions

Example:

@PART[engine]

{

@ignitions = how many

}

21 hours ago, Xt007 said:

Sure, just write an mm patch and edit the ignitions

Example:

@PART[engine]

{

@ignitions = how many

}

Thanks a lot and I am really sorry for the lame questions that follow:

1 - Where do I find "engine" names ? They seem to be different from what I see on the UI.

2 - Where can I find full list of parameters that I can tweak for an engine? e.g. what would be the parameter for ullage, or what else I can change?

EDIT:

I tried this but it made no difference, I must be doing something silly.

@PART[LiquidEngineRV-1]
{
     @ignitions = 50
}

Edited by Cagz

Sorry, thought it would be that easy.  Looks like you have to identify the module as well

@PART[engine]

{

@Module[ModuleEngine*]

{

ignitions = how many

}

}

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been having this issue for a while where all my Solid Rocket Boosters loose thrust/impulse after 20ish seconds of ignition. The stats say that the engine is still running, but it is stuck at 70% rated thrust and no fuel is being used. In reality there is no thrust being felt after this error occurs. Now I'm having the same issue for liquid rocket boosters where the mass flow rate goes to 0, no more fuel is being used, and no thrust is being felt. 

Is this an issue with RealFuels, RO, or something else?

Here is my KSPlog

And some screenshots of the issue

https://imgur.com/ycLRTA0

https://imgur.com/WmolZiE

Edited by SpeedShot7

4 hours ago, SebNandex said:

Question. Does this work with Convert-o-trons? I cannot get the convert o tron to produce the fuels i need in flight. Any suggestions?

Depends which fuels and how realistic you're looking for. LH2/LOX and CH4/LOX are fairly well represented by several cryo mods but most of the hypergolics don't have conversion formulas added by any mod I'm aware of.

The most well developed realistic system is:

14 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Depends which fuels and how realistic you're looking for. LH2/LOX and CH4/LOX are fairly well represented by several cryo mods but most of the hypergolics don't have conversion formulas added by any mod I'm aware of.

The most well developed realistic system is:

Thank you for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Encountered problem with Electric Charge in Service Modules weight nothing.  As well MLI layers do not add up any weight.  No issues in console, no errors. 

Please, help. Maybe I can tweak something in config. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 1:45 PM, Zendel said:

Hi all.

Encountered problem with Electric Charge in Service Modules weight nothing.  As well MLI layers do not add up any weight.  No issues in console, no errors. 

MLI only has a mass contribution of  0.000015 tons per square meter. 

Edited by Starwaster

On 6/30/2022 at 3:45 AM, Zendel said:

Hi all.

Some service modules and capsules do have magic electric storage that weighs nothing.  I have no idea why but it is something that is known, and has been known for long enough that I'm assuming it was a deliberate choice when configuring them.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, how do I analytically cool a tank? For example, I have an methalox SSTO that always shows analytical cooling  = 0W (see picture below:)

jEkypKM.png

My question is, are there specific parts that can increase analytic cooling(like radiators)? I mean, its methalox, so theoretically it shouldn't need a lot of active cooling, especially in space.

(I'm playing with RealFuels-Stock)

Edited by DA299

1 hour ago, DA299 said:

Hello, how do I analytically cool a tank? For example, I have an methalox SSTO that always shows analytical cooling  = 0W (see picture below:)

My question is, are there specific parts that can increase analytic cooling(like radiators)? I mean, its methalox, so theoretically it shouldn't need a lot of active cooling, especially in space.

(I'm playing with RealFuels-Stock)

Radiators will do it, yes. Anything that removes heat from the tank part will do. The actual 'analytic cooling' is done by Real Fuels itself. It's just looking for a net removal of heat. (you should only see that message during time warp greater than 100x, when analytic heat takes effect. It's not meaningful at time warp of 100x or less)

Edited by Starwaster

19 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Radiators will do it, yes. Anything that removes heat from the tank part will do. The actual 'analytic cooling' is done by Real Fuels itself. It's just looking for a net removal of heat. (you should only see that message during time warp greater than 100x, when analytic heat takes effect. It's not meaningful at time warp of 100x or less)

I tried radiators and it is still showing cooling as 0 Watts.