[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

Stock radiators or some other radiator mod?

If you're not already using it, try this: (I'm not sure about compatibility with any other cooling system like Nertea's. I would expect it to be incompatible)

(warning: Unlock stock, cryogenic cooling has an added electrical cost and it can get expensive especially if your tank doesn't have MLI insulation)

Edited by Starwaster

2 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Stock radiators or some other radiator mod?

I'm playing with Interstellar extended as well, don't know if that overrides real fuels or sth. Anyways thanks, will try out the mod you listed.

3 hours ago, DA299 said:

I'm playing with Interstellar extended as well, don't know if that overrides real fuels or sth. Anyways thanks, will try out the mod you listed.

Interstellar (KSPIE) is further down the rabbit hole than I can go.  I have no idea what changes to heating and cooling are going on in that mod so I can't say what compatibility issues might exist between it and Real Fuels or between it and Real Active Radiators. All I can say for sure is that if an RF cryogenic tank is able to detect heat being removed during analytic  speeds then it will be able to calculate a proper temperature for the tank in analytic mode. 

• 1 month later...

Hey, I'm Having an issue that has been posted on here before and was solved but the fix is not working for me. So it seems that all of the making history fuel tanks don't have an option for fuel selection. In fact they seem to have no fuel at all. All of the other tanks work fine and the engines seem to have fuel configs. But I can't for the life of me figure out this issue. I'm about two days into trying to troubleshoot this problem but no luck. If anyone can please help I'd appreciate it. Oh all of the dependencies are installed for RF. It's not that.

So... after much more digging and learning a lot more about how real fuels works under the surface. I have determined the cause of the issue to be the RF Stock configs file to be partially incompatible with the realism overhaul mod. Having both installed will allow most of the RF mod to work but throws a bunch of errors regarding fuel and module types in B9 Part switch. Including not fully covering all of the fuel tanks made compatible with RF by the RF Stockalike config. I'm not sure what causes the incompatibility between the two mods considering that realism requires (At least CKAN says so) Real fuels. But the two mods seem to be very incompatible with each other. Uninstalling all mods and configs related to Realism makes the mods Real Fuels work 100%. Given that I have the RF Stockalike Config mod installed also. Maybe someone smarter than I has some clue as to why I can't get the two to work together. But if you do please let me know.

16 minutes ago, Conn9823 said:

Including not fully covering all of the fuel tanks made compatible with RF by the RF Stockalike config.

If you are playing with Realism Overhaul, why would you want the RF- Stockalike configs?   Doesn't RO + RF + Proc tanks cover everything you need for RO ?

I couldn't get most of the "Making History" fuel tanks to work with Real Fuels and RO at the same time. The "RF Stockalike Config" was me trying to find a fix as to why I couldn't get all of the tanks to have RF support. Like I could have RF and RO together but for some reason not all of the tanks were showing the UI that Comes with RF on right click in editor for the VAB. I tried it both ways. No "RF Stockalike Config" and with it installed. I couldn't get it to work so I just stopped using RO completely. Hate to not be able to use it. But above mentioned issue is atm unsolvable for me...

@Conn9823 that’s strange. RF used to convert all stock tanks over. It was not dependent on other mods or packs for tanks, only engines. Last I knew it still worked that way. 

It’s easy enough to make a patch to catch stragglers if you know how to write MM patches though. I’d throw something together for you but I no longer have a working PC. Only an iPhone. 

@Gordon Dry Did you not read what I said lol? I have tried it with and without the Stockalike config. It doesn't work. Heres a picture for reference. The mk3 is just a demo of what it is supposed to look like in comparison with all the tanks that aren't working. (The picture provided is a testbed without Stockalike config. Still not working...)

VdJ86dN.png

P.S. The only mods installed on this test bed are mods that are either dependencies of RO or mods that are recommended by RO. This might be a one in a million bug that's only affecting me. But the problem is real.

3 hours ago, Conn9823 said:

@Starwaster Any good tutorials out there on how to make MM patches???

The MM thread is a good place to start. I’m wondering though if you’re not having some conflict somewhere though too. From looking at your picture you posted above. Maybe post your logs and see if someone can go through them?

• 1 month later...

I'm having a curious issue with Real Fuels. I'm running the most recent version of RP-1, and when I finish researching one of the Materials Science nodes that includes the MLI, the MLI upgrade icon disappears and I'm not able to "purchase" it from R&D. Therefore, I'm not able to add MLI to my glorious Centaur stages. The MLI icon and description does display on the correct materials science node prior to finishing the research, but it simply disappears when the research is complete.

I turned on the visual debugging in KSP and noticed that every time I click one of the R&D nodes that should contain RealFuels upgrade of some sort (it also appears I can't upgrade my solids), it throws a "NullReferenceException" error into the KSP log. I'm assuming there's some file or lines of config missing, but I have no idea where to start troubleshooting that. I'm pretty comfortable figuring out config files and debugging (do it for a living as well), but I don't know where to start looking.

For what it's worth, I installed RP-1 with the express install option in CKAN and haven't added any other mods to the install. 

Here's the error from the KSP.log file:

[EXC 21:26:53.304] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KSP.UI.Screens.EditorPartIcon.InstantiatePartIcon () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    KSP.UI.Screens.EditorPartIcon.Create (KSP.UI.Screens.EditorPartList partList, AvailablePart part, StoredPart sPart, System.Single iconSize, System.Single iconOverScale, System.Single iconOverSpin, Callback`1[T] placePartCallback, System.Boolean btnPlacePartActive, System.Boolean skipVariants, PartVariant variant, System.Boolean useImageThumbnail, System.Boolean inInventory) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    KSP.UI.Screens.EditorPartIcon.Create (KSP.UI.Screens.EditorPartList partList, AvailablePart part, System.Single iconSize, System.Single iconOverScale, System.Single iconOverSpin) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    KSP.UI.Screens.RDPartListItem.Setup (System.String label, System.String buttonState, AvailablePart availablePart, PartUpgradeHandler+Upgrade upgrade) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    KSP.UI.Screens.RDPartList.SetPart (KSP.UI.Screens.RDPartListItem item, System.Boolean unlocked, System.String label, AvailablePart part, PartUpgradeHandler+Upgrade upgrade) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    KSP.UI.Screens.RDPartList.AddUpgradeListItem (PartUpgradeHandler+Upgrade upgrade, System.Boolean purchased) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    KSP.UI.Screens.RDPartList.AddUpgrades (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] purchased, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] available) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    KSP.UI.Screens.RDPartList.SetupParts (KSP.UI.Screens.RDNode node) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    KSP.UI.Screens.RDController.ShowNodePanel (KSP.UI.Screens.RDNode node) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    KSP.UI.Screens.RDNode.NodeInput () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke () (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
    UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke () (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
    KSP.UI.UIStateButton.<Awake>b__24_0 () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke () (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
    UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke () (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
    UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press () (at <5336a8686ff14f17888ce9a9f44f29bc>:0)
    UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) (at <5336a8686ff14f17888ce9a9f44f29bc>:0)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (UnityEngine.EventSystems.IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) (at <5336a8686ff14f17888ce9a9f44f29bc>:0)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[T] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents+EventFunction`1[T1] functor) (at <5336a8686ff14f17888ce9a9f44f29bc>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

I tried the "Reinstall" option in CKAN but that didn't appear to have any affect. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 4 months later...

Anyone here remembers how gimbal tech levels are supposed to work? Default RF config adds gimbals to solid boosters and I assume that the value that comes with each entry is gimbal range. So TL0 and TL1 should have no gimbal but TL2 should add gimbal one with 3 deg range and so on. However my solid boosters don't seem to be affected by this. Does this feature works?  

5 hours ago, mateusviccari said:

You have to also install a config pack. If you play stock, you need "real fuels stock": 

https://github.com/Bellabong/RealFuels-Stock/releases/tag/5.2.b

I founded SolverEngines outdated they stopped worked on liquid fuel tanks. I downloaded new one SolverEngines worked now have liquid fuel tank because I haven't play KSP in 1 year, they too many updates on loading screen.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone help me understand why some engines don't have available upgraded tech levels? Comparing two engines from the StockRealFuels configs (The stromboli from CryoEngines and the stock Swivel) both start in tech level 2, are the same engine type (L+) but only the swivel has tech upgrades (TL2-7) while the stromboli gets clamped at TL2. Their config files are identical (apart from the available fuel mixtures):
Stromboli: https://github.com/Bellabong/RealFuels-Stock/blob/master/GameData/RealFuels-Stock/CryogenicEngines/cryoengine-stromboli-1.cfg
Swivel: https://github.com/Bellabong/RealFuels-Stock/blob/master/GameData/RealFuels-Stock/Squad/liquidEngine2_Swivel.cfg

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jaunco325 said:

In the initial post it says that I have to remove the community resource pack and solver engines, but I think those are dependencies of other mods. How do I know if they are and which mods?

In CKAN it helps to know what the likely dependency mods (X) are and install them before installing any mods that rely on them (Y). CKAN has the unfortunate characteristic where if you install Y first then decide you no longer want it, CKAN will remove X, not considering that other mods (Z) need X.

CKAN metadata doesn't provide for a selected mod to have a list of all mods that depend on it so you'll have make the effort and get to know the mods you install and what dependencies they have (see Relationships tab when a mod is selected).