[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

On 1/16/2016 at 11:10 PM, 01010101lzy said:

What engine type should I use when writing an RF config for an air-augmented rocket(Like that one in OPT)?

RF doesn't really deal with air-breathing engines.  To my knowledge, there's no realistic model for such an engine in KSP.

Hi Nathankell, 

firstly thanks for your help on Reddit fixing the problem I had with my RSS/RO install. it works great now and your mods are awesome.

However, I have run into a small engine/fuel bug and I am not sure which mod it is coming from, I assume either real fuels or RO.

THE PROBLEM:

Engine flame out of central engine when booster engines run out of fuel... this only occurs when the booster engines are the same model as main engine.

Is there a way to fix this? 

Edited by spacetackle
error

18 hours ago, blowfish said:

RF doesn't really deal with air-breathing engines.  To my knowledge, there's no realistic model for such an engine in KSP.

I know. The only problem is that I really don't know how to write the engine type of that engine.

I noticed that certain fuells (like liquid hydrogen for example, and fast too! Half of it is gone in a couple of hours), decay while a vessel is idle. Not from the space center, but it is when flying a vessel and fast forwarding time.

Where can I find:

1. Which fuells decay

2. At what rate

3. and possibly, what a player can do to minimize this? (for example, will highly pressuring a tank have influence on this?)

Thank you!

Edited by CitizenVeen

13 hours ago, CitizenVeen said:

I noticed that certain fuells (like liquid hydrogen for example, and fast too! Half of it is gone in a couple of hours), decay while a vessel is idle. Not from the space center, but it is when flying a vessel and fast forwarding time.

Where can I find:

1. Which fuells decay

2. At what rate

3. and possibly, what a player can do to minimize this? (for example, will highly pressuring a tank have influence on this?)

Thank you!

Liquid Hydrogen boils off very fast.  Liquid Oxygen and Liquid Methane boil off slower.  There may be other cryogenics available but those are the main ones.  Cryogenic tanks have insulation so they won't boil odd as fast, it's possible service module tanks have even more but you probably don't need those until your mission reaches a few hours in length.

1 hour ago, blowfish said:

Liquid Hydrogen boils off very fast.  Liquid Oxygen and Liquid Methane boil off slower.  There may be other cryogenics available but those are the main ones.  Cryogenic tanks have insulation so they won't boil odd as fast, it's possible service module tanks have even more but you probably don't need those until your mission reaches a few hours in length.

Doing missions of several years now. I just barely noticed it before because i mainly fast forward time from the tracking station, and then it freezes all exact numbers on your ship. Does that mean that liquid Hydrogen/oxygen/methane are pretty much useless for anything other then getting to LEO?

27 minutes ago, CitizenVeen said:

Doing missions of several years now. I just barely noticed it before because i mainly fast forward time from the tracking station, and then it freezes all exact numbers on your ship. Does that mean that liquid Hydrogen/oxygen/methane are pretty much useless for anything other then getting to LEO?

LEO, and burns out of LEO (like trans-lunar injection).  With heavier insulation you might be able to keep a usable amount of LH2 for a few days.  Some theoretical real life designs would use active refrigeration to mitigate boiloff on interplanetary missions, but I don't think RF supports anything like that yet.

A quickie..

I have half a fuel tank of gas MMH/NTO and I'm getting vapour locks.

The engines and tank are both pressurised.. is this a real problem (my problem) or a bug - I thought the pressurised tank was a bladder type, with helium pressure outside of bladder = No RCS needed ?

Maybe I'll have to program a bit of RCS thrust, prior to ignition, into the KOS program !

It does work with a bit of RCS, which makes me think maybe, the engine is not aware of the pressure tank.

iBphK7v.jpg

Edited by ColKlonk

8 minutes ago, ColKlonk said:

A quickie..

I have half a fuel tank of gas MMH/NTO and I'm getting vapour locks.

The engines and tank are both pressurised.. is this a real problem (my problem) or a bug - I thought the pressurised tank was a bladder type, with helium pressure outside of bladder = No RCS needed ?

Yeah, you still need ullage for highly pressurized tanks.  I think RF just sort of abstracts away the bladder tank thing by assuming that RCS uses bladder tanks and non-RCS uses normal tanks.

7 hours ago, blowfish said:

Some theoretical real life designs would use active refrigeration to mitigate boiloff on interplanetary missions, but I don't think RF supports anything like that yet.

RF used to support active refrigeration. That functionality was removed. I've spun that off into its own plugin: Heat Pump (posting from phone; not convenient to hunt for link sorry) which is updated for the new thermal model. 

11 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

RF used to support active refrigeration. That functionality was removed. I've spun that off into its own plugin: Heat Pump (posting from phone; not convenient to hunt for link sorry) which is updated for the new thermal model. 

Ah, missed that (here is the link for any interested).  It looks like it hasn't been updated since 1.0.4 though ... weren't there thermal changes in 1.0.5 that might affect it?

4 hours ago, blowfish said:

Ah, missed that (here is the link for any interested).  It looks like it hasn't been updated since 1.0.4 though ... weren't there thermal changes in 1.0.5 that might affect it?

There were analytic changes that might be taken advantage of in analytic mode (which kicks in at the next time warp above 100x) but aside from that no.

The important parts haven't changed.

Got some kind of weird NRE spam happening. It seems to be coming only from the sepratron SRM. Whenever I tweakscale the SRM I get this spammed in my log. Not really sure why it would be only that part as I tried other SRMS and regular rocket engines and so far no others have caused the issue. I am a a loss as nothing is really different for the part config from any other part AFAICT. Thanks!

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.StopFX () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

MM.Cache

Log

More testing seems to indicate it is in fact all tweakscaled engines/SRMs. I found that it is sometime possible to launch once without the NREs, but upon reverting to VAB and relaunching any engine that has been tweakscaled will cause the spam.

@Svm420, I have had a similar issue since a few days with SRBs and TS... except that in my game it ended up in NaN and the SRBs thrust remaining constant. Same as you, I did not find anything strange in the cfgs; and I tried deleting the MM cache (no success).

I have reported this issue in the TS thread.

Because those engines use an obsolete category (Propulsion) instead of the correct 0.90+ category. If they have a stock engine module KSP can handle it, but if not, KSP will default to tanks. Ask the part mod makers to use the correct new engines category.

AAARgh I update RF & RealPlume, and now everything's stopped working. Engines AND tankes are all buggered up. All tanks look like this: 

qhiQIOz.png

Engine configs messed up too. I installed TAC life support at the same time, there's no weird interaction between the two, is there?

Here's a log. MechJeb is throwing a bunch of errors but I think that's because RF is messed up, not causing it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrt61pyyakwbxzs/KSP.log?dl=0