[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

No, I meant use the thrust limiter slider to reduce fuel consumption. 

Well, I did the same, but I don't know why, I read an already built rocket and it will float automatically. And after I ignited, I couldn't produce acceleration to make it fly. Finally, I don't know why I used NTO without a flame (previously there was one). I am going to try to reinstall mod.

4 hours ago, DAXIN said:

Well, I did the same, but I don't know why, I read an already built rocket and it will float automatically. And after I ignited, I couldn't produce acceleration to make it fly. Finally, I don't know why I used NTO without a flame (previously there was one). I am going to try to reinstall mod.

They all float down here...

Or maybe you had a part with negative mass.... 

New Real Fuels release version 12.8.1

Addresses the 'lag' issue reported in VAB. and more cases fixed where the PAW wasn't being marked dirty. (if you don't tell the game that your PAWs are dirty then it won't clean them for you)

https://github.com/NathanKell/ModularFuelSystem/releases/tag/rf-v12.8.1

Hi!

Dude, I was mangling with the code, learning things, and realized that Utilities/PartExtensions.cs is not committed on the repository. That's a bit scary because this file appears to be needed since January, and we already have a lot of releases with the repository incomplete.

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Hi!

Dude, I was mangling with the code, learning things, and realized that Utilities/PartExtensions.cs is not committed on the repository. That's a bit scary because this file appears to be needed since January, and we already have a lot of releases with the repository incomplete.

Thanks!

Nothing to be scared of; the file is marked as don't build and the project will compile without it.

It's required for a special branch I was working on which doesn't perform its intended purpose satisfactorily which is why it is not part of the master branch. So it will remain uncommitted until it does what I need it to or unless it is rendered unnecessary due to hoped for Squad changes.

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

It's required for a special branch I was working on which doesn't perform its intended purpose satisfactorily which is why it is not part of the master branch. So it will remain uncommitted until it does what I need it to or unless it is rendered unnecessary due to hoped for Squad changes.

So I stand corrected! Thanks for the info.

I'm specially interested on KSP changes over time, and Fuel Switches are one of the best sources for such information.

Again, thanks!

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Any chance that RF can get new solid fuel resources added?  This would give a choice of solid fuel, giving different performance charactistics

Besides the half dozen solid fuel resources already there?

Or perhaps you're asking for engines that make use of them? Except that RF hasn't done its own engine configs in a long time. That sort of thing would need to go in one of the several downloadable engine packs out there.

28 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Besides the half dozen solid fuel resources already there?

Or perhaps you're asking for engines that make use of them? Except that RF hasn't done its own engine configs in a long time. That sort of thing would need to go in one of the several downloadable engine packs out there.

Ok, I must have missed them.  Where would they be described?

On 12/30/2013 at 3:14 AM, NathanKell said:

A: In RF v4, the only stock resource used in SolidFuel; LiquidFuel is no longer pulling duty as Kerosene/RP-1; instead I have added a Kerosene resource. I have not yet added different solid-fuel resources, however, so all solid fuel parts will need approximately 4.2315x as much SF as they had before to have the same total mass of solid fuel.

I had based my question from the above line in post 3, where it was said that all fuel types were described.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I had based my question from the above line in post 3, where it was said that all fuel types were described.

That's out of date and I don't think any of the resources are comprehensively documented. You'll need to refer to their config file.

https://github.com/NathanKell/ModularFuelSystem/blob/master/RealFuels/Resources/SolidTanks.cfg

That's just the tank defs. The actual resource configs are in the Community Resource Pack.

2 hours ago, Starwaster said:

That's out of date and I don't think any of the resources are comprehensively documented. You'll need to refer to their config file.

https://github.com/NathanKell/ModularFuelSystem/blob/master/RealFuels/Resources/SolidTanks.cfg

That's just the tank defs. The actual resource configs are in the Community Resource Pack.

Ok, thank you

Yeah, the CRP is very helpful here:

Tank def: Solid         Not in the CRP, this is described in a comment in the tank defs as "Legacy"

Tank Def:  HTPB       in the CRP describes it as HTPB, described in a comment in the tank defs as "Standard stuff"

Tank Def: PBAN        in the CRP it's described as PBAN, comment in the tank defs say "Shuttle SRB etc"

Same for HNIW, NGNC, and PSPC

HNIW comment in the tank defs says: "Speculative lower-smoke propellant (not in full production yet)"

NGNC comment in the tank defs says "SPRINT missile, etc"

PSPC comment in the tank defs says "Early propellant, pre-Aluminum. Think 'Tiny Tim'"

At least in the tank definitions there is a one line comment for each fuel type, but it's really not helpful at all. In my research on this, I found the following:

• Double-base (DB) propellants: DB propellants are composed of two monopropellant fuel components where one typically acts as a high-energy (yet unstable) monopropellant and the other acts as a lower-energy stabilizing (and gelling) monopropellant.
  • Composite propellants: A powdered oxidizer and powdered metal fuel are intimately mixed and immobilized with a rubbery binder (that also acts as a fuel).
  • High-energy composite (HEC) propellants: Typical HEC propellants start with a standard composite propellant mixture (such as APCP) and add a high-energy explosive to the mix (not used that much)
  • Composite modified double base propellants: Composite modified double base propellants start with a nitrocellulose/nitroglycerin double base propellant as a binder and add solids (typically ammonium perchlorate (AP) and powdered aluminium) normally used in composite propellants
  • Minimum-signature (smokeless) propellants: One of the most active areas of solid propellant research is the development of high-energy, minimum-signature propellant using C6H6N6(NO2)6 CL-20 nitroamine (China Lake compound #20), which has 14% higher energy per mass and 20% higher energy density than HMX

and the most interesting one for me:

• Electric solid propellants: Electric solid propellants (ESPs) are a family of high performance plastisol solid propellants that can be ignited and throttled by the application of electric current.

Those having issues with the latest Real Fuels throwing exceptions in the VAB (and maybe something else; not clear on if there was worse than exceptions or not in the absence of clear concise bug reports)

If you also have Deadly Reentry installed then download the latest DRE update: 

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/v7.7.3

If you didn't already have Deadly Reentry and were having issues with the latest RF update then something else is wrong and you'll have to wait until I get back to Real Fuels because it will be something else breaking it.

Edited by Starwaster

On 9/11/2019 at 3:17 PM, Starwaster said:

Those having issues with the latest Real Fuels throwing exceptions in the VAB (and maybe something else; not clear on if there was worse than exceptions or not in the absence of clear concise bug reports)

If you also have Deadly Reentry installed then download the latest DRE update: 

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/v7.7.3

If you didn't already have Deadly Reentry and were having issues with the latest RF update then something else is wrong and you'll have to wait until I get back to Real Fuels because it will be something else breaking it.

I'm assuming this DRE is to go with RF v. 12.8.1?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 6:02 AM, George the astronaut said:

I cant get real fuels to work!

when i right click on a fuel tank, no tank type selection appears!

please help.

Then that tank part was not configured with multiple tank types. They don't automagically allow any tank type. Not by default.

Edited by Starwaster

3 hours ago, George the astronaut said:

They do not work with FASA AND OTHER MODS only with some of the stock parts

I think Realism Overhaul has patches that make Fasa compatible but I'm not sure as I dont have fasa installed atm