InfiniteDice -=Skillful=- Combat Damage & Weapons Mod

InfiniteDice

One day later than if you didn't ask.

Haha... no I'm not vindictive (usually).

Been sick the past day and a half... but have some unexpected additions to Skillful

1) made a very simple IVA for the tank turret. Holds 2 crew now and has an external camera view that makes targeting with the gun somewhat nicer due to having a good viewing angle.

2) Incendiary bomb fires on the terrain now cause heat... which will make any nearby vessels/parts catch fire and burn/explode... Very cool yet the game seems to have an issue with burning and exploding kerbals so I'll likely make kerbals flame resistant for now as it crashes the game if a kerbal dies of over-heating for some reason. The heat buildup is influenced by the range from the fire of course. Right now all fires produce the same heat, though I could change this later to be more dynamic.

3) all HE bomb explosions now have better explosion collateral damage, not only is there force effects but parts of vessels can be hit by the explosion debris as well, which can cause damage to nearby vessels even if not directly hit by the HE bomb.

Other issues squashed were related to the damage system saving code... it's been a thorn in my side for a while. This is the only part of Skillful that you will need to be conscious of, all vessels in the scene need to have IFF tags or it risk is vessels won't save their damage states. Trapping all possibilities would take me a lot longer, it seems to be working well enough now for R1...

What's left?

• Some parts lack polish.

• I have maybe 2 more simple parts to make.

• I wanted to have stand-alone warheads as suggested by someone on the thread here. Problem is injecting the existing code onto a part that is part of a vessel has it's limitations, this could need a new extension in the module or a partial re-write of that module to allow this... so this may or may not be in R1. I took the time to make 2 standalone warhead models, then realized the issues.

• Bombs are reloaded for free right now, guns need an ammo source. You must be EVA to reload either. Bomb loading costs likely won't be in till R2.

• Fixing is free and takes no time - this has to change to a timed event, and eventually will need a SpareParts resource like I use in my ICE mod; this will be just timed for R1 and likely not require resources till R2.

I think for this to release I'll need to accept that there will be some things that are not up to my standards, I think that's fine for R1 so long as the core of the mod works as intended. Stay tuned and I'll see how much I can accomplish.

Thanks for the comments!

Get well soon!

Also, how close does an ammo/parts/bomb source need to be to reload? As in, can I use ammo and fuel trucks sitting nearby?

The kerbal initiating the job needs to be within 4m of the part, the source vessel/ammo source needs to be within 40m.

• I wanted to have stand-alone warheads as suggested by someone on the thread here. Problem is injecting the existing code onto a part that is part of a vessel has it's limitations, this could need a new extension in the module or a partial re-write of that module to allow this... so this may or may not be in R1. I took the time to make 2 standalone warhead models, then realized the issues.

Would making them somewhat like the bombs be easier, so you could just kind of make a few adjustments to the code? (The only "coding" I have done is changing stuff on some .config files, so forgive my incompetence). Just have a small disk (1.25 or .625 or something) that you place on top and then right-click to choose diameter and type and all of that and it places the warhead there. This is just a random suggestion, so do with this as you please.

Would making them somewhat like the bombs be easier, so you could just kind of make a few adjustments to the code? (The only "coding" I have done is changing stuff on some .config files, so forgive my incompetence). Just have a small disk (1.25 or .625 or something) that you place on top and then right-click to choose diameter and type and all of that and it places the warhead there. This is just a random suggestion, so do with this as you please.

Or you could just slap a bomb or three on the nose of the craft/missile.

Or you could just slap a bomb or three on the nose of the craft/missile.

But that isn't pretty enough, although I suppose that they could be placed under a fairing on a larger ICBM and released like some of the ballistic missile in the nuclear submarines, with their multiple warheads hidden within the nose

The kerbal initiating the job needs to be within 4m of the part, the source vessel/ammo source needs to be within 40m.

uhm just curious but wouldit be posible to take the guns and ammo but leave the armour and other stuff out? like romafers (i think that'shis name) lazor weapons? it would be nice to implement

managed to get the fix code in. I'll likely include the Repair Station part from IDice, with the repair station you can fix up to 4 vessels, it only has limited resources. The fix time as with ICE is very dependent on your kerbals 'stupid' level... or should I say... lack of stupid! :) So you'll want your most 'non-stupid' kerbals as technicians.

Fixing repairs all parts that are still attached to the vehicle, parts that have been totally blown off are gone for good. In Skillful you don't totally get parts blown off all the time like in stock KSP, depending on what is doing the damage many parts tend to get damaged and become inoperable, but stay affixed to the vessel.

Updates: Stand-alone warheads proved too game-breaking for R1. I had them working in one configuration only, I could foresee way too many people running into issues with them so I had to postpone that feature.

Lurven: No, the tank gun is in the turret only for R1.

AntiMatter001: Unlikely, since Skillful uses calculated penetration and damage not velocity vs. impact resistance. For straight up guns I think there is another mod called AKS Weapons, they use a modified DYJ gun code and that supports stand alone guns that damage by collision. With Skillful you get fast shooting and realistic muzzle velocities, something that is extremely difficult to accomplish by using just collision based projectiles that reference 3 variables.

2e513zd.png

Here is my test version of the mobile repair station, armed of course! Two tanks are parked nearby, after just having been repaired!

Status of completion:

Guys I love this mod but it's killing me, so I'm officially stating now that I'm in the clean-up phase for Skillful. That means what I have in and working as of this moment will be all for R1. I'll now go over every single part and function in the code and make sure it's working without errors in the log. I'll then check the balance of how these parts operate in a few different situations. I am also going to start writing up the user manual and the optional tourney rules.

As things become available I'll make posts here.

Edited by InfiniteDice

AntiMatter001: Unlikely, since Skillful uses calculated penetration and damage not velocity vs. impact resistance. For straight up guns I think there is another mod called AKS Weapons, they use a modified DYJ gun code and that supports stand alone guns that damage by collision. With Skillful you get fast shooting and realistic muzzle velocities, something that is extremely difficult to accomplish by using just collision based projectiles that reference 3 variables.

ok here's another question: does this affect ALL parts in ksp and thus effect playablity of rockets/planes and the like? so does it make rockets heavier or does it just add some varibles to the rockets but the rcoket works like nothing happened?

the reason i'm pestering you is because this mod is AWESOME and i'd like it not to effect my rockets and/or planes... (i have a spacelane that can carry 5m parts... i REALLY don't want to say goodbye to it...)

ok here's another question: does this affect ALL parts in ksp and thus effect playablity of rockets/planes and the like? so does it make rockets heavier or does it just add some varibles to the rockets but the rcoket works like nothing happened?

Exactly. I only add my own code to each part, I don't change all the other parts so your stuff will fly the same unless it's damaged. ;) No extra mass or anything is added to parts.

The only other game changing effect it has is that it extends the load ranges out to 10km... this is needed as some guns hit nearly that far. It's a required range so it will override any other range changing code.

Exactly. I only add my own code to each part, I don't change all the other parts so your stuff will fly the same unless it's damaged. ;) No extra mass or anything is added to parts.

The only other game changing effect it has is that it extends the load ranges out to 10km... this is needed as some guns hit nearly that far. It's a required range so it will override any other range changing code.

WOOT!

but crap that means my computer will be under stress....

Just utterly amazing work, :)... This is the most excited for a mod... EVER:D take your time, and thanks for what you are doing can't wait to have all out war on the desolated battlefield of kerbin.

uhm why JUST kerbin? it IS ksp you know? so like go to eve or duna or the Mun and be like planatary analation and just crash the Mun into Kerbin! :D (i know it doesn't work my main point is that why fight only on Kerbin? what about duna and/or eve? etc... i admit it'll be more challanging since low grav or thick atmosphere but it would be fun!)

also ID please get this finished as quick as your willing to go... i want those tank guns on theses tracks! (from RBI)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/35147-RBI-Caterpillar-Tracks-Revival

Edited by AntiMatter001

Dude ya, up I just thought kerbin was going to be the main one. ANNND, cut him some slack, he's working so hard on any of his free time. He has other things, not just day in, day out making the mod. And if you looked at his previous post he said he was just testing for any bugs and writing a user manul. You try making a mod, it's pretty hard.:D.

ok... uhm any news on the mod? interesting bugs or what not?

Sure... if you like that! lol

• Sorted out the electrical system for the turrets, now rotating or elevating any turret requires electric charge, also the auto turrets need electricity as well.

• IFF tags are now protected parts, they can survive insane collision,heat and are immune to Skillful weapons. They should be affixed as close to the center of the vessel, preferably on a very damage resistant part. - Each vessel should only have 1 tag, for R1 you need to ensure this, R2 may check for duplicate tags and disable it.

• Rebalanced the fire code a bit, heat from ground fires have different intensity and range based on what weapon caused it.

• Added code so Kerbals can fight fires on a vessel. Only partially tested.

• Fixed issues with ordnance loading/positioning/reloading. - seems to work fine now.

• Made 2 more Armour models, One is just a slab of thicker belt armour for ships/vehicles. The other is a wheel guard.

• Wrote up about 75% of the manual. - missing any pictures or video inserts.

What needs work:

1) Fix code needs bolstering, modules damaged are not all becoming fixed when they should.

2) Some FX orientations are off.

3) Need a part or solution for the manual turrets gun directors.

4) Need to add/test one more ordnance type 'Air-burst'. Which detonate at a specific alt. This should be changeable when flying, so you can adapt to different target altitudes.

5) Need to prep the code for release - get rid of garbage etc.

6) Finish user manual, make forum/spaceport image - write up spaceport info etc.

That about sums it up. Priority goes to #1, #4, #5, #6 - if I have time I'll then likely do #2, #3.

Had a fun mini battle last night, wherein I discovered #1... good thing I take 10 minutes every once in a while to actually play game... lol

Edited by InfiniteDice

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.