InfiniteDice -=Skillful=- Combat Damage & Weapons Mod

InfiniteDice

Just make the engine's HeatProduction value lower if you want it to overheat less. It's in the part.cfg file.

It's more of the concept that upsets me

Why should a part fail at 80% capacity?

KSP by default only simulates failure with detonation not like Skillful where it stops working

The overheat point should be where the part fails and can still be repaired not where it detonates.

Ok so I've had this problem with engines only playing audio for a few seconds before going silent and I've been told this is Skillful's doing. Anyone else having this problem and if so anyone found a fix other than uninstalling Skillfull?

It happened to me, but it went away after an update. idk why. But maybe just do what i did and make a serperate copy of KSP for skillful and surrouding mods

Just showing off a little night mission I did!

BOMBER HUNTING!!!!

If you're wondering how I finagled it to work, I launched all the bombers, taxied them off the runway, and parked them on the grass.

Then I launched the attacking fighter, and took off.

Switched to each bomber and took off.

???

Lots of bombers shot down.

Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/2U4ig#0

PS: I'm encountering a bug, where launch clamps like to follow your flight when you switch in atmos. They stay static, but float a few kilometers ahead every time you switch.

EDIT: Also, the little auto turrets don't seem to work in flight? I was hoping the bombers would fight back, but even though they had different IFF tags, they wouldn't shoot.

Edited by zack2014

Just showing off a little

BOMBER HUNTING!!!!

If you're wondering how I finagled it to work, I launched all the bombers, taxied them off the runway, and parked them on the grass.

Then I launched the attacking fighter, and took off.

Switched to each bomber and took off.

???

Lots of bombers shot down.

Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/2U4ig#0

PS: I'm encountering a bug, where launch clamps like to follow your flight when you switch in atmos. They stay static, but float a few kilometers ahead every time you

I was considering this, and after the first release I was working on a Ki-45c, my favorite heavy fighter /night fighter, since last month. Hasn't worked out, the ksp parts are too reinforced and heavy compared to the Thinner, lighter, Japanese planes.

PS: night fighters typically have 2 engines on the wings and guns or equipment on the nose

Edited by 736

I was considering this, and after the first release I was working on a Ki-45c, my favorite heavy fighter /night fighter, since last month. Hasn't worked out, the ksp parts are too reinforced and heavy compared to the Thinner, lighter, Japanese planes.

PS: night fighters typically have 2 engines on the wings and guns or equipment on the nose

Yeah I've tried making the Ki-45 as well. Havent had much luck even with the firespitter parts. It always seems to fly straight into the air then crash sporadically so i deemed my version a failure. :(. Also how about a fixed 20mm cannon? Or at least an internal one as that would be nice :D

Yeah I've tried making the Ki-45 as well. Havent had much luck even with the firespitter parts. It always seems to fly straight into the air then crash sporadically so i deemed my version a failure. :(. Also how about a fixed 20mm cannon? Or at least an internal one as that would be nice :D

Strange, mine fails because it is just as light as your average schnellbomber :P I tried to make up for this by sticking small control surfaces with set to "pitch" inside the nose and tail, so it handles better. Problem is, it accelerates to almost 200 m/s because of the "flapping wings" glitch or whatever that makes you go faster when control surfaces move

There should be a warhead part added, with different payload types, each one with a different mass:

Nuclear, High-Explosive, and Napalm/Incendiary.

Essentially, it would be a conical piece added to the top/front of a stack, and would explode on contact above a certain velocity of, for example, 5 meters per second.

This would allow not only for ICBMs but also for stack-sized torpedoes that actually do serious damage.

There should be a warhead part added, with different payload types, each one with a different mass:

Nuclear, High-Explosive, and Napalm/Incendiary.

Essentially, it would be a conical piece added to the top/front of a stack, and would explode on contact above a certain velocity of, for example, 5 meters per second.

This would allow not only for ICBMs but also for stack-sized torpedoes that actually do serious damage.

You could make one of those yourself, actually. Make a clone of one of the KSPX or KW Rocketry conical nose cones, then go into the configs. Change the partID field to a unique name, like "Kerbomans_Nuke" copy the warhead module from the configs of the missiles in Skillful and put it in there somewhere, and then drop the impact tolerance to 5. Boom, instant warhead. As far as blast radius goes, I have no idea how to tweak that as I haven't probed into it yet. I've been very busy with life stuff and just haven't had the time to give this mod the biopsy it deserves.

I know you are a very busy man, but I have a suggestion that might make this mod even better.

Add decals to display damage. Games like Elite: Dangerous have this amazing feature in them, making for a most incredible cinematic effect. You can see the ship's hull cut open and glowing red-hot after being vaporized by the lasers, the burnt and bent hull after being hit by bullets and the exposed guts of the vessel after being hit by a missile.

What I'm proposing however, is much simpler: I suggest creating a texture of a bullet impact. You know, those charred markings? So, a system could be created to apply this texture over the part's texture to create a universal damage effect.

This apply procedure could happen during the part loading process, so you have two different textures for the same part, to be applied under the different situations. During "Non-Damaged" state, normal textures are applied. During "Damaged" states, modified texture is applied.

Bear in mind: I am no programmer, and my experience with it is so poor that I can't even make an arduino say "Hello World". But I think this might not be impossible, and if it can indeed be done... Oh boy, Dis Gon B Gud.

I know you are a very busy man, but I have a suggestion that might make this mod even better.

Add decals to display damage. Games like Elite: Dangerous have this amazing feature in them, making for a most incredible cinematic effect. You can see the ship's hull cut open and glowing red-hot after being vaporized by the lasers, the burnt and bent hull after being hit by bullets and the exposed guts of the vessel after being hit by a missile.

What I'm proposing however, is much simpler: I suggest creating a texture of a bullet impact. You know, those charred markings? So, a system could be created to apply this texture over the part's texture to create a universal damage effect.

This apply procedure could happen during the part loading process, so you have two different textures for the same part, to be applied under the different situations. During "Non-Damaged" state, normal textures are applied. During "Damaged" states, modified texture is applied.

Bear in mind: I am no programmer, and my experience with it is so poor that I can't even make an arduino say "Hello World". But I think this might not be impossible, and if it can indeed be done... Oh boy, Dis Gon B Gud.

This sounds very difficult and very laggy to me.

However imagine how much fun a harpoon gun would be.

the decal idea is a novel one, however loading multiple complete textures for the same part would be painfully heavy on the RAM footprint of the game and the filesize of the mod. I think you'd be farther ahead applying it in the form of a painted effect. the problem of course is that as far as I know, no coding in the framework of KSP for this currently exists beyond the flag decals, and even then that was a recent addition and it has very strict criteria for placement.

If he could add cumulative decals of bullet damage, yes, it could be very pretty, but it could also be a clippy eye-straining nightmare. Decals overlapping each other on the same layer have a tendancy to cause "flickering" where the graphics can't make up their mind which is on top. The only solution to this would be to have them either A: apply collectively to a "damage" layer on the texture file, like paint brushes. this would be very resource intensive, or B: apply a visual stack thread priority based on age of decal. this would increase RAM footprint. and regardless of which he used, anything with a collision mesh that doesn't align perfectly to the graphical mesh is going to have magic floating bullet holes.

To put it bluntly, there's no easy way to do this, or it would have already been done.

To put it bluntly, there's no easy way to do this, or it would have already been done.

I understand. The clipping non-aligned-with-mesh problem was exactly why I wondered if a second texture could be created. Oh well...

But if one could mock around with the flag decals and make some experiments... It would be pretty cool. I would do it myself, but I have no skills to do it. Infinite Dice is probably busy, too. If someone else could try to do a very basic prototype...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.