InfiniteDice -=Skillful=- Combat Damage & Weapons Mod

InfiniteDice

Yes sir. It will attempt to destroy it once it's within 3km.

I haven't made a giant mirror to reflect the sunbeam lazor yet though... lol

Hehehe. Now to find a way to mount and power the sunbeam on my small little monoplane firespitter fighter. Muwahahaha!

It's also worth noting that I use lazor missiles as dumb bombs as well, so in theory they'd try to counter dive bombing as well. Definitely gonna try that one out.

Edited by Kenobi McCormick

It's also worth noting that I use lazor missiles as dumb bombs as well, so in theory they'd try to counter dive bombing as well. Definitely gonna try that one out.

So...back to the whole bombing in space ordeal....

You keep mentioning dive bombing...get me thinking if maybe the tactic and craft could be tweeked a bit for use in low-g application. Maybe a fighter that can burn in fast, with a severe retro firing system for once the bombs are away....just a thought...

So...back to the whole bombing in space ordeal....

You keep mentioning dive bombing...get me thinking if maybe the tactic and craft could be tweeked a bit for use in low-g application. Maybe a fighter that can burn in fast, with a severe retro firing system for once the bombs are away....just a thought...

For zero g I'd make something like a magnetic bomb, get it in an orbit alongside the target and as long as it's within a few km, it would pull itself closer and closer till a detonation range is reached or contact is made. Or use that method.. and once a sure range is reached... say a few hundred metres, it would engage a rocket and pummel itself into the target. Blammo!

Mag bomb would work good.

I kinda always thought 'space bombs/missiles' and the like would use proximity detonation as primary and impact as secondary, kinda like your run o the mill modern torpedo does.

think Im am gonna have to try and make a munar dive bomber...see a lot of dead green dudes down that road lol :sticktongue:

On a different note...

I have 2 small airbases 1/2 set up...one at the little island airstrip by KSC, the other is north of that...about 1/2 way to north pole. There are 3 fighters, 2 bombers, and an interceptor all build and ready to scramble to each base.

Dont even have the weapons yet and already have had alot of fun with your mod =)

Love the concept and possibilities of the mod! Can't wait to try out the release. A few suggestions if you don't mind.

Thermal production.

Heat seeking missiles/Infrared tracking turrets: might be a way to implement a skillful version of guided missiles and auto tracking weapons. It will force you to think about designing crafts with proper thermal shielding around engines to reduce thermal footprints. It could also introduce the possibilities of countermeasures- releasing disposable hot probes to confuse the heat heat seeking weapons.

Should you choose to add near or far future tech lasers, heat production in space could also be a way to balance the skillful aspects of this. You could probably fire lasers a few times in space before overheating the entire craft. To radiate heat, you could dip down into the atmosphere or you could attach radiators (exactly as the interstellar mod does) to your craft. The upside to using radiators in space is that you could fire lasers more often (still not an infinte amount) in space. The downside is that other crafts will be able to track you much easier with conventional weapons as your heat signature would be huge due to the radiators.

I'm not sure if he wants to add heat seeking missiles like an AIM 9X side winder or something, the mod is based around weapons used "skillfully". But maybe countermeasure and stealth coating could be used to balance this? Maybe a user guided tv missile could be used instead, it's more skillful but still doesn't take "too" much skill. But great idea!:D

I'm not sure if he wants to add heat seeking missiles like an AIM 9X side winder or something, the mod is based around weapons used "skillfully". But maybe countermeasure and stealth coating could be used to balance this? Maybe a user guided tv missile could be used instead, it's more skillful but still doesn't take "too" much skill. But great idea!:D

Hmm... I reread the description. You're probably right about InfiniDice not wanting to auto tracking weapons. I still think that the heat mechanic could be used for lasers should he want to add them.

Hmm... I reread the description. You're probably right about InfiniDice not wanting to auto tracking weapons. I still think that the heat mechanic could be used for lasers should he want to add them.

Anything I make 'Auto' will be to help kill us players :)

So the CIWS is auto, as it can only be used in that manner to kill players. A heat seeking missile I could make in no time flat, right now it would have a very low priority though... This could be a consideration for a later expansion.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I was also considering engagement ranges. Auto tracking weapons, with relative ease at farther distancesn, can track due to lower transversal velocity (I think that's the right term, I'm thinking like in Eve online) than at close rranges. Same goes for heat seeking missiles. The missiles have much more time to correct a course at ffarther distances. Once you get to a close enough distance, auto tracking weapons become almost useless and you have to switch to manual aim to hit your targets.

I'm thinking this way in order to make a flexible self balancing combat game play. With these rules, it should be able to easily balance land/air/orbital/interplanetary combat while allowing room for emergent game play.

Edited by not-a-cylon
grammar

Anything I make 'Auto' will be to help kill us players :)

So the CIWS is auto, as it can only be used in that manner to kill players. A heat seeking missile I could make in no time flat, right now it would have a very low priority though... This could be a consideration for a later expansion.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ah. Didn't see you post in the while I slowly typed on my phone. I see the direction your mod is going for. I can see why auto anything might be outside of the scope of this mod. Maybe the skillful combat could be part of a larger arc of a war mod. I'm no programmer, just a dreamer with a few ideas. I have no idea how difficult it is to work these things into a game. Keep up the great work!

I think, if you ever want to add guided missiles and bombs at all, it would be best if you limit the amount of turning it has.

If still want skill-based attacks, give the missiles the ability to divert from their launch angle 1 or 2* degrees at best, or something like that. Minimum control.

Enough that you don't need to be accurate to the millimetre exactly, but not enough that the missile can hit a target that's directly to your right.

*number pulled straight from my arse

EDIT: and, of course, if you can make it work, use heat in some manner.

It's also worth noting that not all air-to-air missiles actually worked. Back in 'nam the missiles on F4 Phantoms were so notoriously terrible that pilots had to fire them in salvos to get a reasonable chance of a kill.

Not that this mod needs missiles. HVAR rockets, sure, but not missiles. HVARs are literally just solid rocket motors attached to a chunk of plastic explosive and launched from under an airplane wing. They guide themselves passively, the direction they're pointed + aerodynamics + gravity + pilot's aim is what determines where they hit.....mostly. HVARs still weren't very accurate, you'd have trouble hitting a tank from more than a kilometer away firing only a single rocket.

This mod seeks to add munitions that we have to aim ourselves. Laz0r already provides plenty of electronically targeted munitions for us to use. I'll be using both together, Laz0r for the guided missile shenanigans and this for manually aimed stuff.

This project in which phase is?, I am waiting...

Wow! Please be more kind and just wait it out, I'm sure he is working hard on it but give him a break. It will be ready when it's ready, everybody's waiting. He also explained in a previous post he has worked out most quirks of the mod and will release a pre release vid when it's ready. He is human after all:D, and he is giving this to us for free, spending his time not yours. I also did the same thing always asking, it's normal:sticktongue: Anyway good job InfiniteDice, can't wait:).

How about Flak Guns? I figure those would need skill to work. Maybe you could use the shockwaves already in the game but amplify them?

I am probably wrong but on Snoj fire spitter mod page he did paste a pic of a black cloud close to the plane? I did ask, not sure if he replied:D

Wow! Please be more kind and just wait it out, I'm sure he is working hard on it but give him a break.

Thanks, being eager to get something is human after all.. :)

I am working on it daily, sometimes too much. I need to really re-prioritize some items, as you can image this thing is so deep... like one of those crazy minecraft caverns you stumble upon. It's easy to get lost in the details. An example of what I'm talking about is how I spent nearly 5 hours on tuning the CIWS code. Tweaking and reloading gets really tedious at times.

Another example is during development you get excited about one part of the project and spend a lot of time getting it right, then you later realize that there are 5 other things that need to be done and perhaps one of those will impact something you've already worked out.

I can say the basic mechanics, sounds and fx are in. I can re-vamp those later once I get time.

Getting some persistent data saved and reloaded is the next issue, and a bit of a roadblock at the moment, but if I can't get them to work the way I want I'll put it on the future to-do list.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.