InfiniteDice -=Skillful=- Combat Damage & Weapons Mod

InfiniteDice

http://i59.tinypic.com/2qi8gur.jpg

Changed a few things... I'll get onto the texture as well as with the unity layout tomorrow, will function like the battleship turret. Should be interesting to play around with.

Woah!! Totally awesome, great work! Just stunning.. So will the tank turret rotate, horizontally and vertically? Either way it will be beyond cool. Keep up the awesome work!!:D

ID how do you plan on implementing the weapons into the career mode tech tree

Likely all parts will be available with the initial tech level. The only exception might be for the phalanx, it's auto targeting guardian mode can be ramped up as tech levels increase, for instance.

Since Skillful is all about player skill/design smarts... and as originally planned for simulated practice and turn based tourney style combat, tech levels don't make too much sense as you're effectively fighting yourself, or a turn-based opponent using similar parts.

For release 2 there could be a few additional parts/features that might make better use of tech. We really need to see how KSP develops for me to make any major design changes.

Right now it's baseline features... Do you want incendiary bombs to start a fire where it hits the terrain? or... tech tree integration? lol :) Just an example!

it would be pretty cool if you can target a thing by double clicking and the tank turret tracks it

This is something the phalanx gun can do, but the tank turret won't - for now.

When operating the tank turret if the gun director isn't damaged you'll get a readout telling you what elevation to use. You then adjust the elevation, aim horizontally as best you can and fire. The gun director will then reply with the distance the rounds impact a target or the ground.

I want the users brain to do some thinking... with the systems on the turret as helpers.

Using the battleship guns and the gun director, I was able to hit another surface ship 7.2km away, on the 3rd shot.

Without the gun director, you'd have very little chance of hitting something 1/2 that distance in 20 shots.

Too much automation deadens the thrill of victory when you manage to smash something to bits manually. There is no substitute, and that's what Skillful is all about.

Auto aiming components like the phalanx were made 'only' to fill the void of an opposing force. Bombing targets without threat from an AI requires skill but doing so with that chance of being shot at... requires more skill! :)

There will be a lot of play-balancing issues, and other craziness when this goes public I'm sure.

This is something the phalanx gun can do, but the tank turret won't - for now.

When operating the tank turret if the gun director isn't damaged you'll get a readout telling you what elevation to use. You then adjust the elevation, aim horizontally as best you can and fire. The gun director will then reply with the distance the rounds impact a target or the ground.

I want the users brain to do some thinking... with the systems on the turret as helpers.

Using the battleship guns and the gun director, I was able to hit another surface ship 7.2km away, on the 3rd shot.

Without the gun director, you'd have very little chance of hitting something 1/2 that distance in 20 shots.

Too much automation deadens the thrill of victory when you manage to smash something to bits manually. There is no substitute, and that's what Skillful is all about.

Auto aiming components like the phalanx were made 'only' to fill the void of an opposing force. Bombing targets without threat from an AI requires skill but doing so with that chance of being shot at... requires more skill! :)

There will be a lot of play-balancing issues, and other craziness when this goes public I'm sure.

i just thought that it is pretty difficult to aim at something when moving but i guess ill have to see when it comes out :)

Why has this been rated three stars?? Hmm... I guess people are inpatient:huh:

Has nothing to do with being impatient.....

Its 3 stars because that many people know already its gonna be best weapons system KSP has seen to date. Also its an ID mod, so bound to be insane amounts of awesome in the first release =P

Why has this been rated three stars?? Hmm... I guess people are inpatient:huh:

Perhaps it's one of those mods that 1/3 of people think shouldn't be in the game *star , 1/3 think it should be in the game *****stars , and lastly 1/3 don't care either way ***stars... LOL

== *** stars.

Honestly I didn't even notice it had 3 stars.

Here's something I'd like to see, regarding weapons in the game: A Lead-Computing Gunsight. Even F-86 pilots had these in Viet Nam. :)

For those who are unaware, here's how it would work in-game (I imagine). You would be flying a plane - or driving a rover or tank, I suppose - with some kind of projectile weapon mounted on it. Select a target that you want to destroy. An aimpoint or crosshair, something showing where your weapon is currently aimed, and an aiming reticle, showing you where to aim your gun so that the bullets strike the target, appear. It doesn't aim for you, or do anything automatically, other than constantly re-compute the location of the aiming reticle. All you have to do (and it isn't really as easy as it sounds) is maneuver your air/spacecraft (or slew and elevate your turret, as the case may be) so that the weapon's sights or crosshair is pointed at the aiming reticle, and fire. Also, if there is no target selected when the Gunsight is active, the aiming reticle should display the current impact point of your rounds if you were to fire. This would allow, for instance, much more accurate strafing of multiple ground targets. Of course, if your gun is aimed at an object or surface that is too far away, i.e. out of the range of the gun or 2km I would think, whichever is more applicable, then the aiming reticle would stay coincident with the gun's sight/crosshair/aiming method.

This should still satisfy the <Skillful> requirement, InfiniteDice, but also make it a bit more likely to hit one's target.

Now, keep in mind, all of the above is simply a request/brainstorm that I'm throwing out. I don't know if any of it is actually possible to do, or implement in-game. Like I said, it's just something I'd like to see. Ideally (to me), it would be an independent component, able to be used with any weapons system that fires projectiles with ballistic trajectories. Meaning guns, artillery/tank shells, etc. Which is exactly what this mod is about, that's why I'm mentioning it here. Funny how that works out. :)

So, that's my idea. For what it's worth. :)

Later! :D

Here's something I'd like to see, regarding weapons in the game: A Lead-Computing Gunsight. Even F-86 pilots had these in Viet Nam. :)

what???

the F-86 wasn't used in 'Nam the F-86 was used in Korea. though yes it did have a lead computing gun-sight. just please make sure to check your Aircraft knowledge before you compare Air-frames.(The united states had moved on to the F-100 super saber by that time which may explain your confusion though and those had more than just lead computing gunsights :3)

Edited by Hellbrand

what???

the F-86 wasn't used in 'Nam the F-86 was used in Korea. though yes it did have a lead computing gun-sight. just please make sure to check your Aircraft knowledge before you compare Air-frames.(The united states had moved on to the F-100 super saber by that time which may explain your confusion though and those had more than just lead computing gunsights :3)

Dammit, you're right. I even originally said Korea, but then changed it for some brainless reason. Anyway, thanks for the correction. Derp!

This should still satisfy the <Skillful> requirement, InfiniteDice, but also make it a bit more likely to hit one's target.

Now, keep in mind, all of the above is simply a request/brainstorm that I'm throwing out. I don't know if any of it is actually possible to do, or implement in-game. Like I said, it's just something I'd like to see.

So, that's my idea. For what it's worth. :)

Thanks for the input! This is a good point of view, a targeter like this is very possible, I could make it in a short period of time if it weren't for other things on the list, and a limited time-frame.

In all my strafe tests it has been very difficult to hit without a guide of some kind. I'd be in favour of this but I'm not sure if it will make release 1. So you'll have to go at it hardcore till r2. ;)

There are so many things that will be in, I'm sure I'll forget 1/2 of what this mod does by time I'm done.

Thanks for the input! This is a good point of view, a targeter like this is very possible, I could make it in a short period of time if it weren't for other things on the list, and a limited time-frame.

In all my strafe tests it has been very difficult to hit without a guide of some kind. I'd be in favour of this but I'm not sure if it will make release 1. So you'll have to go at it hardcore till r2. ;)

There are so many things that will be in, I'm sure I'll forget 1/2 of what this mod does by time I'm done.

Good news, and thanks for responding to my request. :) I can wait. I'm not really playing with weapons right now anyway, but I probably will sometime in the future. But I won't let you forget. As soon as you release v1 I'll start pestering you for my lead-computing gunsight, lol. :P

I must say, I'm quite intrigued by that tank turret you showed a few days ago. :) I'm hoping that the ammunition will be up to modern specs. That is high velocity ( ~2km/s at the muzzle), very accurate (if aimed accurately, of course), and very destructive.

Anyway, thanks again, ID. Looking forward to whatever you come up with next. :)

Good news, and thanks for responding to my request. :) I can wait. I'm not really playing with weapons right now anyway, but I probably will sometime in the future. But I won't let you forget. As soon as you release v1 I'll start pestering you for my lead-computing gunsight, lol. :P

I must say, I'm quite intrigued by that tank turret you showed a few days ago. :) I'm hoping that the ammunition will be up to modern specs. That is high velocity ( ~2km/s at the muzzle), very accurate (if aimed accurately, of course), and very destructive.

Anyway, thanks again, ID. Looking forward to whatever you come up with next. :)

2 km/s at the nozzle? I think that might be too fast for KSPs physics to handle it properly.

2 km/s at the nozzle? I think that might be too fast for KSPs physics to handle it properly.

Im guessing not, since thats about orbital velocity for LKO.....the physics engine is dealing with things moving at that speed all the time, big multipart ships at that. A single part projectile shouldnt be an issue.

Im guessing not, since thats about orbital velocity for LKO.....the physics engine is dealing with things moving at that speed all the time, big multipart ships at that. A single part projectile shouldnt be an issue.

Yes but it doesn't often deal with collisions at that speed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.