InfiniteDice -=Skillful=- Combat Damage & Weapons Mod

InfiniteDice

I have one major problem with this-the collision detection for hits just seems broken-shots either seem to go through or disapear entirely, and with the two battleship sized gus I hear the splash sound as if they've clipped through the ground. Any thoughts?

Hit detection is never perfect. I find that some parts of the ground, as well as buildings don't detect hits as well as others.

Underneath the ground of kerbin is water.... So if a shot does make it past the ground collision it will likely impact the water. These projectiles are traveling pretty fast. At what range are you shooting the ground from? The guns have a minimum range.... I fire at most targets and score hits, the occasional round will act funky...

which weapons are movable and which aren't? i'm having really big trouble getting ANY to fire or move... :/ wish it had a node on the back for a rotatron)

All the guns work as intended. 30cal with targeter, tank turret, and battleship turret are manual turrets, auto-air 7.62 and CIWS are auto ball turrets - auto meaning when you are playing them directly double click a target to track it, they don't allow rotation via keypress. Stationary guns are the barreled 7.62 and 50 cal, as well as the 30mm - these don't move at all.

All guns require 'Control' be active to rotate or shoot... Shooting with an uncontrolled gun is possible by assigning it to an action key. This allows semi-auto (one keypress per shot).

The auto air turret should surface mount to a rototron, there is really no need to put it on a rotatron, as it rotates itself.

Example helicopter with Auto Air-turret:

1) double click target

2) ensure turret is under control - click 'control this'

3) ensure auto tracking is on for the turret (default is on).

4) when in range press full auto fire key 'Home' or action key for semi auto.

Edited by InfiniteDice

Hey, im trying to add the target prop to my Mk1 cockpit it wont show up. Iv done the steps, in my Mk1 cockpit Cfg I add the cockpit memory thing, then in my internal cockpit cfg, I know its the right one. I put the prop thing. I try using alt plus various keys, however nothing shows up. I know I mess up somewhere, any help? Thanks.:)

Hey, im trying to add the target prop to my Mk1 cockpit it wont show up. Iv done the steps, in my Mk1 cockpit Cfg I add the cockpit memory thing, then in my internal cockpit cfg, I know its the right one. I put the prop thing. I try using alt plus various keys, however nothing shows up. I know I mess up somewhere, any help? Thanks.:)

See my comment a few messages back. I'll try adding it to the mk1 cockpit as well... just to verify.

All the guns work as intended. 30cal with targeter, tank turret, and battleship turret are manual turrets, auto-air 7.62 and CIWS are auto ball turrets - auto meaning when you are playing them directly double click a target to track it, they don't allow rotation via keypress. Stationary guns are the barreled 7.62 and 50 cal, as well as the 30mm - these don't move at all.

All guns require 'Control' be active to rotate or shoot... Shooting with an uncontrolled gun is possible by assigning it to an action key. This allows semi-auto (one keypress per shot).

The auto air turret should surface mount to a rototron, there is really no need to put it on a rotatron, as it rotates itself.

Example helicopter with Auto Air-turret:

1) double click target

2) ensure turret is under control - click 'control this'

3) ensure auto tracking is on for the turret (default is on).

4) when in range press full auto fire key 'Home' or action key for semi auto.

thanks! i didn't know this o.o also is the pod Re-arming bug fixed? i havea army of tanks and anti air rocket drones just WASITING to get re-armed...

(oh here's a bug (ithink) everytime i fire any weapon it uses the same sounds over and over again (sounds like a pea-shooter when it's coming from the 50.cal like machinegun))

BTW LOVE this mod XD uhm could you posibly make a smaller gun that's like the HUGE battleship gun? i don't have a use for something that big...yet...

uhm could you posibly make a smaller gun that's like the HUGE battleship gun? i don't have a use for something that big...yet...

My advice, as I am doing now, is to take the 14" turret part, copy the entire file, edit the part and scale factor down for your appropriate request- that is what I am doing now, however, it is absolutely for private use, to ensure his stuff stays his :) You can do this with virtually all the parts, but many will look odd, thus it is better to wait for infinite dice to get round to it

thanks! i didn't know this o.o also is the pod Re-arming bug fixed? i havea army of tanks and anti air rocket drones just WASITING to get re-armed...

(oh here's a bug (ithink) everytime i fire any weapon it uses the same sounds over and over again (sounds like a pea-shooter when it's coming from the 50.cal like machinegun))

BTW LOVE this mod XD uhm could you posibly make a smaller gun that's like the HUGE battleship gun? i don't have a use for something that big...yet...

Many bug fixes won't be apparent on an already launched vessel... you'd need to scrap it and re-launch. In some extreme cases you need to delete the part from the vessel in the sph, save then re-launch.

You're saying that the machine gun sound is on the tank turret? The machine guns all use the same sound... 7.62 30 cal and .50 I didn't have time to resample the sound to make it sound different yet.

My advice, as I am doing now, is to take the 14" turret part, copy the entire file, edit the part and scale factor down for your appropriate request- that is what I am doing now, however, it is absolutely for private use, to ensure his stuff stays his :) You can do this with virtually all the parts, but many will look odd, thus it is better to wait for infinite dice to get round to it

Thanks! i was thinking about this but thought it wouldn't work...

@infinite: thanks again and yes the huge battleship cannon has the same sound XD

Thanks! i was thinking about this but thought it wouldn't work...

@infinite: thanks again and yes the huge battleship cannon has the same sound XD

Actually, this editing of scale factor and scale has helped me exponentially- I just "washing machined" the 14" dual gun turret and created the 7" dual turret, still fires the same stuff, but edited time to reload, capacity, weight etc. I'm also re purposing the DEFA gun, but scaling up, not down- its been "irradiated" and has grown like Godzilla :D for use on my tanks (Personally, as I am using the stock parts mainly, the turret 127 gun is just too big (It looks odd on my stock dreadnought) If anyone would like help on scaling any parts, I'll be happy to explain the process, however, take into account that it is mainly not your work and the rules that apply, and so on

EDIT: If anyone can find a way to rescale the 30 mm DEFA gun, I will try and get round to it tomorrow, it just will not re-scale, even with the lines for it! I'm using it to make a tank gun

Edited by Rhyunix

I just "washing machined" the 14" dual gun turret and created the 7" dual turret, still fires the same stuff, but edited time to reload, capacity, weight etc.

In that case you might want to edit it to use 5" ammo... as the gun will still be using 14" ammo and that == 0.68 kerbal mass PER shell. ;)

So, did it work for you on the MK1 cockpit, the targeted, if so can you please link me a pic or the file or something so I could do the same, that would be hugely appreciated. :D

Yes it works perfectly.

I posted the instructions already... the difference is.. since it's a stock cockpit you need to put the

PROP

{

name = IDtargeterProp

position = 0, 0.5, -0.625

rotation = 0, 0, 0, 1

scale = 1, 1, 1

}

inside the mk1CockpitInternal space.... not the mk1PodCockpit one.

124yjdc.png

Yes it works perfectly.

I posted the instructions already... the difference is.. since it's a stock cockpit you need to put the

PROP

{

name = IDtargeterProp

position = 0, 0.5, -0.625

rotation = 0, 0, 0, 1

scale = 1, 1, 1

}

inside the mk1CockpitInternal space.... not the mk1PodCockpit one.

http://i62.tinypic.com/124yjdc.png

Umm so no cockpit memory, right?

You still need to put the cockpitmemory into the actual part cfg yes.

Wait, this Part CFG is located in the command folder. Its something called Mk1 cockpit or something, and i just slap that cockpitmemory in the/below the other moudules.

Hit detection is never perfect. I find that some parts of the ground, as well as buildings don't detect hits as well as others.

Underneath the ground of kerbin is water.... So if a shot does make it past the ground collision it will likely impact the water. These projectiles are traveling pretty fast. At what range are you shooting the ground from? The guns have a minimum range.... I fire at most targets and score hits, the occasional round will act funky...

I'm not sure how Kerbal's engine or your mod handles this, but I assume it is similar to Source's. I remember a mod for Garry's Mod that had a similar goal as your mod, and suffered from similar hit detection issues until the modders added a trace between the current position of a projectile and the next to prevent them from phasing through objects. Is this possible with Unity? If you don't feel like doing the math required to perform a trace between the projectile's current position and its next position, simply perform a trace between the projectile's current position and its last.

I found that the armor piercing torpedoes do not do much damage to my patrol boat, but I also hit the engines, which were inside. Is my boat too well armored? or is it armor piercing that does this? or is it a small amount of damage?

2uxUWjJ.png

damage:

ilkqNb5.png

Firing from a boat doesn't make much of a difference

http://i.imgur.com/jJT95ek.png

VBoYrQk.png

damage:

http://i.imgur.com/JHqORZB.png

Remember that picture of a meteor with those huge gatling guns sticking out?

E9OCY2C.png

This mod fixes everything about that (except the part about hitting your propeller :P)

behold the Il-2

RMtgfBG.png

I decided a ground attack plane would be best, since it is turn based and no planes will be flying around for fighters to shoot; i wish they did, just have to wait for multiplayer

so I chose the best plane of the best role for this mod

zQnsRSG.png

Im thinking of starting a thread for this skillful+firespitter wwii stuff, with downloads. Is it ok if I put a craft for download with this mod in it?

I have been creating my own vehicles too, but they are still work in progress :)

Raven gunship airship:

8DmlAdO.jpg

Armed with twin anti ground cannons and a defensive anti air turret.

Tempest airship:

kUrNB1B.jpg

GsZjHnA.jpg

Can be armed with bombs or missiles.

Condor aircraft carrier airship:

LavYBaQ.jpg

IQcbiVb.jpg

Building this one was complicated. It is armed with 4 anti–ground/anti–ship battleship cannons and 2 anti air turrets. Max speed is 7.5 m/s. It can "land" almost anywhere thanks to the anchor system of KAS. I need to perfect the carrier functionality.

Songbird class multirole combat aircraft:

fZ86DSP.jpg

bP8b1e6.jpg

WThbQdx.jpg

Simple and easy to use multirole combat aircraft. Armed with twin 50. machine guns, and twin small bombs.

Thanks InfiniteDice for this amazing mod :D

I have been creating my own vehicles too, but they are still work in progress :)

Raven gunship airship:

http://i.imgur.com/8DmlAdO.jpg

Armed with twin anti ground cannons and a defensive anti air turret.

Tempest airship:

http://i.imgur.com/kUrNB1B.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GsZjHnA.jpg

Can be armed with bombs or missiles.

Condor aircraft carrier airship:

http://i.imgur.com/LavYBaQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IQcbiVb.jpg

Building this one was complicated. It is armed with 4 anti–ground/anti–ship battleship cannons and 2 anti air turrets. Max speed is 7.5 m/s. It can "land" almost anywhere thanks to the anchor system of KAS. I need to perfect the carrier functionality.

Songbird class multirole combat aircraft:

http://i.imgur.com/fZ86DSP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bP8b1e6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WThbQdx.jpg

Simple and easy to use multirole combat aircraft. Armed with twin 50. machine guns, and twin small bombs.

Thanks InfiniteDice for this amazing mod :D

where did you get the abrahams tank-like guns from?? if there in this mod i wanna know where to find em (i don't have em :( )

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.