InfiniteDice -=Skillful=- Combat Damage & Weapons Mod

InfiniteDice

Hmm.. That talk about the CIWS, I wonder if it might be really overpowered or underpowered. Does it just point at the COM and shoot or does it lead the target? And how much damage does the spray of bullets do, plus you made a video of it a long time ago testing lazor missiles against the CIWS, and the CIWS almost instantly destroy them. Just wondering!

:D

The CIWS does lead targets, the program tries to calculate a lead based on your flight direction and speed relative to it. It also changes a few things based on a number of variables, 1) spread pattern. 2) bullet firing rate. 3) the amount of lead. It's quite capable of killing you at 2.3km away if you fly in an easy to hit angle. (direct on). Weaving and a lot of off-angle flying can get you in to kill it with a bomb if you are lucky!

The whole thing is based on a real phalanx in terms of how it behaves etc.

As for damage, that would depend on what it's hitting.

Oh, will there be missiles?

Skillful weapons... :) No missiles or lazers. I'll have unguided rockets, unguided bombs and projectile weapons. All re-loadable EVA if sufficient ammo/ordinance resource is available. This way you make one vessel, and keep it, land to refuel and re-arm. In a scenario where you only have so many points to buy equipment, you may only have 2 or 3 aircraft for example.

Say the mission is destroy 10 targets, those targets are protected by 2 air defense AAA or whatever. You may need to reload and fly multiple missions to destroy them all. - That's just an example.

I hope that the armor pieces don't just explode when they are shot to pieces, I want to see debris in space battlezones from this armor.

Now there's a mod I'd like to see "KERBAL ZONE", emulating the classic tank battle game "BATTLE ZONE". The original line vector version, but in full 3D kerbalifelike color.

Now there's a mod I'd like to see "KERBAL ZONE", emulating the classic tank battle game "BATTLE ZONE". The original line vector version, but in full 3D kerbalifelike color.

Some panels will fall off, some will be full of holes, some will 'just explode'.

The ones still attached and full of holes will can be fixed eva at a later time.

When is it coming out?

Brace youself lad. For you have posted the dreaded question, universally and unconditionally vilified by the moderators. May the Kraken have mercy on ye soul.

In a more relevant context, great work so for Infinite. I only hope you will maintain interest in it as you could be possibly answering the prayers of many trigger happy space engineers in the community! :D

Im curious about something ID. I understand that these weapon systems are geared more toward in atmo combat, but have you tested them in space at all? The free-fall bombs and maybe rockets Im guessing not to space friendly...but mainly Im wondering if the guns work out of atmo.

Aside from the massive kerbal vs kerbal warfare Im setting up for on Kerbin I was thinking of having my Kerbin space station run a little orbital fighter to clean up debris.

Hey there again, great work as always:). Now I wonder if the "Dumb" bombs are that useful, in your vid you were using the 500 pound bomb and it landed quite close to the target but it almost no damage. Probably I'm just imagining things! But then again it is only a 500 pound bomb, I saw that 2000 pound one oooh mama! What I hope its not like in stock KSP where a single bomb (fuel tank or something) is almost useless but definitely not like the lazor mod missiles which are beyond OP and are not fun at all to use. But knowing your work, it will be beyond AWSOME to the power of 9000:sticktongue:. As always good luck and don't rush:D

Now I wonder if the "Dumb" bombs are that useful, in your vid you were using the 500 pound bomb and it landed quite close to the target but it almost no damage. Probably I'm just imagining things! But then again it is only a 500 pound bomb, I saw that 2000 pound one oooh mama! What I hope its not like in stock KSP where a single bomb (fuel tank or something) is almost useless but definitely not like the lazor mod missiles which are beyond OP and are not fun at all to use. But knowing your work, it will be beyond AWSOME to the power of 9000:sticktongue:. As always good luck and don't rush:D

I've seen debris from some hits fly almost 3km. :) I also have a 12000lb tallboy bomb.... now that's a beast.

Khaos: I don't see any reason why the projectile weapons wouldn' t work in space. The only thing I see as having an issue is the cluster bomb, which deploys the bomblets at an arranged altitude - that could be set to a timer and that would nullify that problem though.

Im curious about something ID. I understand that these weapon systems are geared more toward in atmo combat, but have you tested them in space at all? The free-fall bombs and maybe rockets Im guessing not to space friendly...but mainly Im wondering if the guns work out of atmo.

Aside from the massive kerbal vs kerbal warfare Im setting up for on Kerbin I was thinking of having my Kerbin space station run a little orbital fighter to clean up debris.

I've tried that with DYJ's GAU-19 before. It didn't work very well at all for me. The bullets are going so fast that they practically ignore orbits entirely, which means you have to be practically touching the target to actually hit it with any reliability, and the recoil wreaked absolute havoc with the fighter's orbit. If I aimed it retrograde I could just about get a Trans-Munar Injection burn out of the four guns before they overheated.

I'd stick with guided missiles and optical weapons in space, but that's just me.

I'd stick with guided missiles and optical weapons in space, but that's just me.

Guided missiles and lazoors are no fun (in fact I wont use lazor systems at all...been WAY to buggy since 0.20 hit). Guided weapons of any kind lack a certain tact and grace, they lack the personality of aimed weapons imo.

Plus I was already thinking of ways to use Sep motors to counter the recoil =P

I really only have interest in using the guns in space.....hard enough for me to drop a freefall weapon in atmo....i can only imagine low g would make that task alot harder.

Guided missiles and lazoors are no fun

While I do agree with this, my own experience shows them the only practical way to hit anything in space.

in fact I wont use lazor systems at all...been WAY to buggy since 0.20 hit

I haven't noticed any bugs with it in 0.23.

Plus I was already thinking of ways to use Sep motors to counter the recoil =P
Heh. I'd sooner use liquid engines or ion engines depending on the kick present. Or perhaps just sheer mass? That's EvE's logic on Minmatar ships, anyway.
hard enough for me to drop a freefall weapon in atmo.
I've actually tried bombing things using the medium Laz0r missile as a dumb bomb(Just mounted on a decoupler, fire decoupler and it drops without igniting rocket). Level bombing is nigh impossible unless you're no higher than 750m above the surface, due mostly to the lack of a decent bombsight. Or any bombsight, really. Dive bombing works quite well, though.

Just an update guys, I've made some nice advancements on a few key parts of the code. Things are shaping up but there a a few issues still hampering a release. Once those have been resolved and I've cleaned up a few models I'll have a pre-release video - that will likely signal the mod is just about to be released.

I want a semi creative release for this. Some example crafts and perhaps a scenario to play right out of the gate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.