InfiniteDice -=Skillful=- Combat Damage & Weapons Mod

InfiniteDice

To put it bluntly, there's no easy way to do this, or it would have already been done.

I had an implementation of this in skillful 5 months ago. I found the difficulty came in when the bullet hole/damage texture was applied to a non-flat surface, or happened to be spawned at the edge of a mesh. Some complex handling would be needed or a custom shader to make it worth the while. Otherwise it ends up looking cheap.

A better thing that could be done would be using a unity projector, to project a damage skin over the default skin. I really haven't had the time to look into this further, but in tests it seems that it would work better as the projector casts onto the damaged part. Still tricky to implement as the damage could overlap other parts that are in the way.

The simplest way is what I have already done, basically once in a damaged state, exchange the mesh and 'hopefully' use the same texture. This makes some visual damage appear but unfortunately it's not random in appearance. Unless multiple damage meshes are made and randomly chosen.

I had an implementation of this in skillful 5 months ago. I found the difficulty came in when the bullet hole/damage texture was applied to a non-flat surface, or happened to be spawned at the edge of a mesh. Some complex handling would be needed or a custom shader to make it worth the while. Otherwise it ends up looking cheap.

A better thing that could be done would be using a unity projector, to project a damage skin over the default skin. I really haven't had the time to look into this further, but in tests it seems that it would work better as the projector casts onto the damaged part. Still tricky to implement as the damage could overlap other parts that are in the way.

The simplest way is what I have already done, basically once in a damaged state, exchange the mesh and 'hopefully' use the same texture. This makes some visual damage appear but unfortunately it's not random in appearance. Unless multiple damage meshes are made and randomly chosen.

My gut did tell me this was somewhat possible.

But, how come you have different meshes for non-stock parts, for example?

how come you have different meshes for non-stock parts, for example?

the mesh is the object that becomes the part. think of it like a statue that is then painted with a texture. you could texture on bullet holes, but they would look just like that, paint. what he was saying is that he'd make actual visible damage appear (holes through the part, buckled metal, missing bolts, et cetera) as part of the mesh itself, so that it would look more eye-pleasing. but that does hearken back to what I said about RAM footprint.

(ID, let me know if I'm overstepping my bounds by jumping on these questions like this.)

the mesh is the object that becomes the part. think of it like a statue that is then painted with a texture. you could texture on bullet holes, but they would look just like that, paint. what he was saying is that he'd make actual visible damage appear (holes through the part, buckled metal, missing bolts, et cetera) as part of the mesh itself, so that it would look more eye-pleasing. but that does hearken back to what I said about RAM footprint.

(ID, let me know if I'm overstepping my bounds by jumping on these questions like this.)

No problems I like conversation.

If the .mu contains 2 meshes, really that won't increase the footprint much - given that the same texture is used. If you have two separate meshes, you can use a different uvw map for that mesh using the same texture - only the damaged mesh map would use the portion of that texture associated to damage.

The drawback is one high res texture, incorporating both damaged and undamaged areas for the part, or two lower res textures. If you use two high res textures for both, then the footprint will be double...

In my case I use one texture for both meshes, I think the footprint increase is less than 40k from using 2 meshes instead of one.

ah, so it's a hybridized approach. I just know that RAM is a huge concern for people not using Linux. I know for people like me who have upwards of 800 parts (887 on my install, plus utilities and plugins) RAM starts to become worth its weight in gold. Even using the reduced textures for KSPX and B9 Aerospace, and dumping some Firespitter configs from internals, I still run into RAM choking.

I can't wait until 64 bit becomes available for windows an mac users, it'll revolutionize how much people can mod their games

Hey ID love how everything is going, um one thing is that I wonder if you could possibly implement something that makes parts be damaged and destroyed without using IFF tags, they are really cool however when I'm not using the auto turrets it just lags up my game term doubly, normally I would be getting 80 to a 100 FPS, but with the IFF it's lag city.. Just a suggestion :D

Can you upload a video on your channel on how to install? When I play the tank and 30 cal. turrets wont rotate.

turret controls are in the Readme. I use Xpadder and map the controls of an XBOX360 controller to them. also make sure to select the context menu option "control this" while operating the vehicle before attempting to move them around.

Hey ID love how everything is going, um one thing is that I wonder if you could possibly implement something that makes parts be damaged and destroyed without using IFF tags, they are really cool however when I'm not using the auto turrets it just lags up my game term doubly, normally I would be getting 80 to a 100 FPS, but with the IFF it's lag city.. Just a suggestion :D

This might be what needs to be done. The IFF tags will always be needed for side determination for auto turrets. When testing the BoatParts 4.5 update I'm working on I have discovered a bunch of issues that has made me have to change some stuff around. I'll be able to share more details soon.

This is a great mod, but I think there should be different types of the same weapon that fits in a time period. ex: newer torpedoes, that are shorter; guns that are flush with wings, and bombs that have fins more like wwii bombs. Overall, I think that there should be weapons slightly upgraded for each "tier" or time period that correspond to wwi, wwii, cold war, and modern times

This is a great mod, but I think there should be different types of the same weapon that fits in a time period. ex: newer torpedoes, that are shorter; guns that are flush with wings, and bombs that have fins more like wwii bombs. Overall, I think that there should be weapons slightly upgraded for each "tier" or time period that correspond to wwi, wwii, cold war, and modern times

considering that he works with Snjo (the firespitter parts guy) I can easily see this being a thing

considering that he works with Snjo (the firespitter parts guy) I can easily see this being a thing

No offense, but snjo can't texture :P I'll probably end up making them myself.

It's supposed to be like that. So when you switch to a different vehicle guardian mode activates then the turrets become automatic.

are you talking to me? i meant that I'll end up modding the parts, not making crafts. read my original comment please

This might be what needs to be done. The IFF tags will always be needed for side determination for auto turrets. When testing the BoatParts 4.5 update I'm working on I have discovered a bunch of issues that has made me have to change some stuff around. I'll be able to share more details soon.

oh okay, great!! Thanks for the quick reply, how everthing works out. :D

I integrated the parts into the tech tree does anyone (InfiniteDice as it is your mod) want a basic version of the code to refine it. I threw all parts under one skill node so there was/is alot of scrolling to unlock if you use it. But I could look into setting the guns and armors to unlock over a period and the types of rounds used as well.

I only suggest this for the intergration of the mod and to create longer battles. Particurally at the begining stages over Mun and Minimus. Ergo I play two waging companies fighting for science. And best part Is if either side breaks the blockades I win! ;)

Also how do the rocket pods work? Specifically targeting (if any) and the alt bar what does it affect?

And lastly will the auto air turrets track while controlled. I have issues with them firing while flying.

P.S. I apologize I did not and still dont mean to infringe or have infringed on you mod. I just enjoy the uselessness of careermode warfare and had seen it suggested earlier and thought that others could use it as well. I would much rather see you use it as you would know when you wanted what unlocked.

Edited by sku77s
Wanted to give the creator the code used for the next update.... couldnt figure out how to PM. X(

Hi, long time lurker first time poster here. Just wanted to say that I love this mod, and combined with B9 and Firespitter it's meant that the S in KSP has been neglected for a long time...

There's a couple of things I'd like to bring up, however. Firstly, I've encountered an issue when using the IFF tag on clipped vessels, such as my kinda-replica Harrier and F/A-18. The craft launches fine, and can be flown without problems. However, if you land, switch back to the KSC and launch another craft, the existing craft detonates; parts of it are destroyed entirely in explosions, and the remainder is scattered across the landscape. There is no problem at all if no IFF tag is attached, and the craft explodes every time with tags attached. I suspect it's due to the tag saving the vessel in a way that causes the game to notice the clipping, and try to resolve it as a collision. I have no coding experience, however, so I could be (and probably am) wrong.

Secondly, I was wondering if there were plans to implement fuel drop tanks for the bomb hardpoint. This would allow you to refit an aircraft to carry out longer-range missions from a secondary base, such as a carrier, without forcing you to always have them present, as you would if using the Firespitter drop tanks. I don't know if this is possible, but it might add an additional level of strategy by allowing trade-offs between weapon load and range.

Thanks again for the mod! The IFF bug is (for me, at least) the only real issue in an otherwise great addition to KSP.

Hi, long time lurker first time poster here. Just wanted to say that I love this mod, and combined with B9 and Firespitter it's meant that the S in KSP has been neglected for a long time...

There's a couple of things I'd like to bring up, however. Firstly, I've encountered an issue when using the IFF tag on clipped vessels, such as my kinda-replica Harrier and F/A-18. The craft launches fine, and can be flown without problems. However, if you land, switch back to the KSC and launch another craft, the existing craft detonates; parts of it are destroyed entirely in explosions, and the remainder is scattered across the landscape. There is no problem at all if no IFF tag is attached, and the craft explodes every time with tags attached. I suspect it's due to the tag saving the vessel in a way that causes the game to notice the clipping, and try to resolve it as a collision. I have no coding experience, however, so I could be (and probably am) wrong.

Secondly, I was wondering if there were plans to implement fuel drop tanks for the bomb hardpoint. This would allow you to refit an aircraft to carry out longer-range missions from a secondary base, such as a carrier, without forcing you to always have them present, as you would if using the Firespitter drop tanks. I don't know if this is possible, but it might add an additional level of strategy by allowing trade-offs between weapon load and range.

Thanks again for the mod! The IFF bug is (for me, at least) the only real issue in an otherwise great addition to KSP.

You don't need this mod for drop tanks; you put a racial decoupler, a probe rcs, then attach a few Oscar tanks. Then take out the monopropellant and the oxidizer to save weight. Remember to use fuel lines. Doesn't firespitter already have drop tanks?

You don't need this mod for drop tanks; you put a racial decoupler, a probe rcs, then attach a few Oscar tanks. Then take out the monopropellant and the oxidizer to save weight. Remember to use fuel lines. Doesn't firespitter already have drop tanks?

i dont think the hardpoints can carry usable resources but i may be wrong

You're right, and that's what I've been doing so far. However, Skillful allows you to have one craft do many different missions, reloading after each one, which means you can maintain a base/carrier independent of the KSC. The current drop tanks are a one-mission-only solution, and don't allow you to fly a mission without drop tanks to hit a close range target with more ordnance, resupply, then hit distant a target using drop tanks.

i dont think the hardpoints can carry usable resources but i may be wrong

You may well be right - as I said, I have no experience with this sort of thing. However, I thought I'd throw it out there on the off chance it is possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.