[1.0.4] Smart Parts v1.6.6 | DDS Textures and Bug Fixes | July 5

Firov

Thanks for the answer!

That's what I suspected, I don't have the selection part of the right click menu.

Yes I have Module Manager 2.6.3 and the KSPAPIExtensions.dll with the former being bundled in the Plugins directory of Smart Parts.

Any other way of troubleshooting?

EDIT: in fact thanks again for the advice, I checked for any other mod using KSPAPIExtensions and the bad boy was KIS which has now a very updated version of it and I can now see the menu!

Edited by webanck

Any current way to get the triggers to happen when landed? It'd be nice to, e.g. jettison shields and activate remotetech antennae on touchdown.

Also, is there some reason I can't activate the gear group?

Hey

Love this mod! I use it on almost every single rocket, though there's only one thing that's bugging me that I would like to suggest.

Why doesn't the fuel sensor auto reset, or at least give the option for auto reset?

This would make my rockets so much smarter with less parts and development time from me :sticktongue:.

I've made some ships with auto functions, like low power mod and emergency power, by using a couple of different parts put together.

this takes time to gain and it's kinda of a pain to rig up several actions.

What I would like to see is a fuel sensor that can detect two levels, high and low with the middle reseting the sensor for detecting the state (high or low).

This could easily be used on a battery to control the generators, thus allowing for more control over the resources,

as of now it's not possible to do those kind of functions without using the timer part and it takes 3 or 4 parts per functions (glitches out with just two fuel sensors).

That's just a suggestion, I don't know if it was by design that you didn't implement auto reset or if you've found a better way to do what I'm trying to do :sticktongue:

I just found a bug with the Fuel sensor: Drainex 1

I had it set to stage at the default 0%, but it staged when the tank had 0.90 fuel in it. So it really wasn't set to 0 (the percent display needs to show decimals) or the fuel detection is off.

I just found a bug with the Fuel sensor: Drainex 1

I had it set to stage at the default 0%, but it staged when the tank had 0.90 fuel in it. So it really wasn't set to 0 (the percent display needs to show decimals) or the fuel detection is off.

I'm curious. Were you still using fuel when it staged? For example, did you have a rocket motor firing? If so, then that's definitely a bug.

Otherwise, it's actually working as intended. Unfortunately, due to floating point errors, the fuel sensor will actually fire at less than 1% when it is no longer draining fuel. This is done as a workaround to another bug where tanks occasionally don't drain all the way due to KSP floating point errors. In such a situation, the fuel sensor would never actually stage.

I may be able to bring the stage % in a bit if it's causing issues, but unfortunately, it's going to be impossible to do away with this logic entirely, simply because of the way KSP works.

I was using 3 basic jet engines on an aircraft at full power. the sensors where mounted on drop tanks that had fuel lines draining the drop tanks to keep the main tanks full.

Would it be possible to add in a new mode that triggers at a certain fuel level (using a decimal number) instead of a percentage? Even 0.99 can be a ton of fuel/Dv. :(

I will test it a bit later to see if it was because I only had 2 of 3 engines going or if time warp had anything to do with it or a combo of the 2.

I was using 3 basic jet engines on an aircraft at full power. the sensors where mounted on drop tanks that had fuel lines draining the drop tanks to keep the main tanks full.

Jet engines now draw from all tanks equally.

I find that I lack some functionality that would fit great with Smart Parts.

The thing is, I need to be able to throttle particular engines on particular fuel %, as well as particular altitude.

That is, if some means existed to bind throttle limiting to action groups, I'd just used existing fuel sensor and/or altimeter with that, but...

Somebody needs to write a plugin to add various throttle levels (say, every 5% up to 35%, then every 10% up to 75%, then every 5% again to 100%) to action groups. Anyone?

I'm working on a mod that could probably do something like that, although it doesn't at the moment.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/124704-WIP-%28New-Version-Jun-11-15%29-ModActions-Control-mods-via-action-groups?p=2014009#post2014009 Note this is the development thread with a test download, I have not actually released it yet.

Once I get it stable, something like that would be a good fit I think.

D.

Idea: a dll that monitors the temperature of a part, has a lower and upper temp limit defined via context menu, and switches action groups on/off with the ability to reset or disable itself.

I'm curious. Were you still using fuel when it staged? For example, did you have a rocket motor firing? If so, then that's definitely a bug.

Otherwise, it's actually working as intended. Unfortunately, due to floating point errors, the fuel sensor will actually fire at less than 1% when it is no longer draining fuel. This is done as a workaround to another bug where tanks occasionally don't drain all the way due to KSP floating point errors. In such a situation, the fuel sensor would never actually stage.

I may be able to bring the stage % in a bit if it's causing issues, but unfortunately, it's going to be impossible to do away with this logic entirely, simply because of the way KSP works.

I have the same problem, some times bosters are staged still burning. Couldn't you make the fuel sensor only triger 1 second or something after the time it reads it sould stage?

Sorry for the delayed responses everyone. I've been travelling for business the last week, so I haven't really had a lot of free time. Anyway...

Would it be possible to add in a new mode that triggers at a certain fuel level (using a decimal number) instead of a percentage? Even 0.99 can be a ton of fuel/Dv. :(

I will test it a bit later to see if it was because I only had 2 of 3 engines going or if time warp had anything to do with it or a combo of the 2.

That's definitely strange. I've not been able to reproduce it. Is there any chance you can make a mostly stock (some major mods like KW Rocketry are also fine) craft that experiences this and upload the craft? Until I can actually see what's going on, it's going to be tough to fix.

nice mod

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

I have the same problem, some times bosters are staged still burning. Couldn't you make the fuel sensor only triger 1 second or something after the time it reads it sould stage?

If you're using the latest version of the mod and you set it for 0% detection, it should wait until fuel is no longer being drained (AKA there is no more thrust) before staging. Do you have it set to 0%?

Also, Virtualgenius. I got your craft file and I'll start investigating what's going on here. Thanks!

I find that I lack some functionality that would fit great with Smart Parts.

The thing is, I need to be able to throttle particular engines on particular fuel %, as well as particular altitude.

That is, if some means existed to bind throttle limiting to action groups, I'd just used existing fuel sensor and/or altimeter with that, but...

Somebody needs to write a plugin to add various throttle levels (say, every 5% up to 35%, then every 10% up to 75%, then every 5% again to 100%) to action groups. Anyone?

I saw one that did that....

Was it Actions Everywhere?

/raises hand.

If you can wait one more day I have my ModActions mod updating tomorrow to do that, both change the thrust limiter on an engine and changing the throttle directly. (I'll edit this post with a link when I get it out.)

D.

FYI, the fuel sensor isn't working. When I put the sensor on the tank (SRB), it says in the Resource bar, the word "empty"

This is on 1.0.3/1.0.4

It was working in 1.0.2

Current Smart Parts works for me as usual in 1.04 - however I manually updated the bundled KSPApiExtensions.dll to the 1.04 version. Maybe that will fix it for you too?

You probably have another problem then, Insterstellar fuel switch, modular fuel tanks and other mods that come bundled with a fuel switch or otherwise have to do with fuel come to mind - if its only the fuel sensor thats not working. I would test the SP mod without any other mods on a new sandbox save to verify that and if that works, its hunting for the incompatible/outdated mod :(

Edited by DaniDE

I know :-(

For now, I'll just ignore it, and keep checking. Maybe when I finish this set of missions I'll have time to do that troubleshooting. Not looking forward to it though, I have about 100 mods installed.

Check with CKAN, i see that I have three other mods installed which deal with fuel, but they all have been updated for 1.0.4:

Fuel Tanks Plus

Modular Fuel Tanks

TAC Fuel Balancer

Edited by linuxgurugamer