[1.0.4] Smart Parts v1.6.6 | DDS Textures and Bug Fixes | July 5

Firov

Can we get a smart part that triggers on the presence/absense of atmosphere?

You could do this with altitude sensors. Just check the atmosphere height on the wiki and configure the altitude sensors for that.

You could do this with altitude sensors. Just check the atmosphere height on the wiki and configure the altitude sensors for that.

Yes I meant for a spaceplane that visits different atmospheres.

Love this mod and am just curious if folks have any tips and tricks to share for more reliability? For example, I find that:

* If I make changes to a craft (even if unrelated to parts with smart parts attached), best bet is to recreate any smart parts to ensure they'll work.

* Fuel sensors don't register kerosene (from Real Fuels 8.4,) so don't forget to switch fuel sensors to read LOX after attaching to Ker/LOX tanks.

* Fuels sensors do register but sometimes don't fire on symmetric parts, e.g., radially-attached solid fuel boosters, so aim for timers instead where possible (with solid fuel, the burn time is constant!)

What other sorts of tricks can one use to avoid catastrophes--I use the mod Engine Ignitor so even a second or two extra delay in staging can be the end of a mission if the fuel destabilizes before a one-shot engine is staged and tries to ignite?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Strange, when I don´t have it I realize how much I used it :D I hope this gets an update to 1.0 when the KSP API extensions are updated. Maybe I will try to learn kOS meanwhile *sigh*.

Strange, when I don´t have it I realize how much I used it :D I hope this gets an update to 1.0 when the KSP API extensions are updated. Maybe I will try to learn kOS meanwhile *sigh*.

the API extensions are updated. So let's be patient :D

So, from the posts I guess that they don't work anymore. (Those smart parts)

Actually, I just did some testing, and so far the timer, altimeter, fuel detector, fuel valve, and- most surprisingly- the radio, work just fine, so I don't really see any reason the others won't, too.

Sure, the mod gives you a couple of errors when you start KSP, since the version numbers don't match, but big deal, it works perfectly (so far).

Edited by Rhedd

Well i hate to mention it but this cool mod has some nasty stock bugs who should get fixed if it gets updated to 1.0.x

The most bugging one (for me): When you change our craft after you attached the smart parts, it forgets what it has to do (internaly) the gui still shows the ringht stuff. This should be fixed as you only see that it is not working in that situations when it should!

Maybe someone can take it over ?

The mod is an absolute essential for me and I know a bit in modding so if I feel there Really is something to change I can try to take it over. But for now I don't think any modification would be worth the effort (I don't have much time nowadays) as it appears to still work as before.

Seeing how this is one of the mods I officially support with AGX (on top of liking it myself), I'll commit to releasing a 1.0 update of it, hopefully some time this weekend.

No promises on that release date though, some of the sensors tie into the engines which were totally overhauled for the new ISP/Aero system so I don't know how easy an update it will be.

D.

Seeing how this is one of the mods I officially support with AGX (on top of liking it myself), I'll commit to releasing a 1.0 update of it, hopefully some time this weekend.

No promises on that release date though, some of the sensors tie into the engines which were totally overhauled for the new ISP/Aero system so I don't know how easy an update it will be.

D.

Yay! Thanks!

edit: If you are at it ... could you please fix that bug that the smart parts often don't recognize if the fuel is drained? I assume some kind of floating point issue a floor or round (round seems better) should help.

Edited by Bizz Keryear

Yay! Thanks!

edit: If you are at it ... could you please fix that bug that the smart parts often don't recognize if the fuel is drained? I assume some kind of floating point issue a floor or round (round seems better) should help.

I'm not sure if this is a problem that SmartParts can fix (because I've seen the same behaviour in kOS too), but if you change your staging, or modify your rocket after you've put the smart part onto it, it won't stage properly. It'll detect the event just fine, but it's not able to stage. If you lift the part and then re-attach it, it remembers the staging properly and will work once you re-launch your ship.

Yay! Thanks!

In KSP it happens that the fuel tank is not really drained to 0% , so its like 0.0001% left, and that makes the condition to fire at 0% fuel false. It is also usually a good idea to write 0.01 % for "empty" tanks in kOS scripts for the same reason. If you set the smart part to 1% left or so, it will probably work all the time.

Smart Parts Version 1.5.2

Download here.

-KSP 1.0.2 Compatibility release only. (So no bug fixes or features added.)

-No change to plugin code, just repacked it for the new KSP version as everything works.

-Update KSPAPIExtensions to current version.

-Fix Attach Nodes on part configs so they work under the tweaked system present in KSP 1.0.

Note that this is a compatibility release only for KSP 1.0, I am not taking over this mod.

I had to use my own github to host the release as I don't have access to the official SmartParts github though.

As several files have changed in addition to the plugin .dll, I recommend deleting the entire SmartParts folder in your GameData folder with the contents of the version 1.5.2 .zip file.

I am allowed to do this under the CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 license, and my updated release remains under the same license.

D.

Edited by Diazo

In KSP it happens that the fuel tank is not really drained to 0% , so its like 0.0001% left, and that makes the condition to fire at 0% fuel false. It is also usually a good idea to write 0.01 % for "empty" tanks in kOS scripts for the same reason. If you set the smart part to 1% left or so, it will probably work all the time.

The thing is for various reasons I don't wan't to set it to 1%. (e.g.: The separated stage might spin out of control and crash into the main rocket)

Smart Parts Version 1.5.2

Download here.

-KSP 1.0.2 Compatibility release only. (So no bug fixes or features added.)

-No change to plugin code, just repacked it for the new KSP version as everything works.

-Update KSPAPIExtensions to current version.

-Fix Attach Nodes on part configs so they work under the tweaked system present in KSP 1.0.

Note that this is a compatibility release only for KSP 1.0, I am not taking over this mod.

I had to use my own github to host the release as I don't have access to the official SmartParts github though.

As several files have changed in addition to the plugin .dll, I recommend deleting the entire SmartParts folder in your GameData folder with the contents of the version 1.5.2 .zip file.

I am allowed to do this under the CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 license, and my updated release remains under the same license.

D.

Thank you very much ... and if you now just could change the 0% fuel condition to 0.01% fuel or so.

Edit: Would do it myself ... but when it came push to shove it showed that I am total idiot when it comes to compiling.

I can take another look at the fuel tank empty sensor, but it worked in my testing on the stock tanks.

Which tank are you seeing this not-empty when empty happening on?

D.

Hi

Diazo. Very much tanks for the update!

As mentioned before, the parts forget what they are supposed to do. I just want to point out, that not only the fuel drain parts are affected but also the altimeter parts.

Thanks for looking into it!