[1.0.4] Smart Parts v1.6.6 | DDS Textures and Bug Fixes | July 5

Firov

Does triggering the gear group a second time work?

On of the oddities of KSP is that action groups are directional and many landing legs and gear start extended (on) but the gear group starts retracted (off) so the first time you activate the gear group and 'extend' it, nothing happens as the already extended landing legs or gear see the 'extend' command and ignore it as they are already extended.

If this is the case, this mod can't do anything about this issue, it's just one of those things.

D.

• 2 weeks later...

Triggers a delayed staging or action group event. The staging event is executed on the vessel to which the timer is attached, therefore able to trigger a timed action even on an inactive vessel (e.g., a separated booster). The timer itself can be activated via staging.

How do you actually do this?   I installed the 1.7.2 off of SpaceDock and can't get the timer to fire a separatron on a detached stage (I'm trying to replicate the look of soyuz booster separation, where it kicks out at the heel and then lets go at the nose).

If I trigger the timer on the pad, the separatron fires after the expected delay.   If triggered by staging, it doesn't fire on the separated stage (but the red light goes on on the timer unit).

On 5/21/2016 at 6:38 PM, billkerbinsky said:

How do you actually do this?   I installed the 1.7.2 off of SpaceDock and can't get the timer to fire a separatron on a detached stage (I'm trying to replicate the look of soyuz booster separation, where it kicks out at the heel and then lets go at the nose).

If I trigger the timer on the pad, the separatron fires after the expected delay.   If triggered by staging, it doesn't fire on the separated stage (but the red light goes on on the timer unit).

Put the timer on the command pod, and use a radio transmit the action group.

That should work, but you'll want to get AGX for the extra action groups, as this method will take up quite a few action groups.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2016 at 2:38 AM, billkerbinsky said:

You can't stage anything except the current vessel, so use action groups for the timers on the boosters.

Also, the timer has to be on the booster, not the main vessel.

Here's a demonstration video.  Both boosters have timers set to action group "abort" - the right one for 3 seconds, the left for 6 seconds.  The booster's sepratrons are set to the "abort" group.  The timer on the main vessel is set to "Stage".

Edit - here a pic of the setup:

W5X62yz.png?1

Edited by hab136

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SickSix said:

Is there an up to date version of this
 mod pack? I can't play my old saves due to this mod freezing the game on load because it's out of date.

There's a 1.1 compatable fork available by hab136 on the previous page

Right now, maintenance mode, eventually feature requests.

It's on github, so go ahead and add whatever issues you want.  The Gear group is reasonable, but you have to remember that the gear groiup is sometimes odd with the game:

One of the oddities of KSP is that action groups are directional and many landing legs and gear start extended (on) but the gear group starts retracted (off) so the first time you activate the gear group and 'extend' it, nothing happens as the already extended landing legs or gear see the 'extend' command and ignore it as they are already extended.

I'll need to do some testing to see whether 1.1.3 fixes that or not

I did some testing, and the issue with the Gear action group seems to be much improved, so I'm working to add that before I release an update for 1.1.3.

If I can't get it in a day or so, I'll release the current version and get to the gear action later

• 2 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer, @hab136 pointed me in this direction for a vent part for SM.   I was searching for this mod about 6 months ago (or longer) when discussions came up about utilizing a part for venting, but could not find it.  I'll be looking into integrating this part for resource dump capabilities in Realism mode for ShipManifest.  I will ping you if I have any questions or needs.  thanks for maintaining this mod!

Edited by Papa_Joe

25 minutes ago, Papa_Joe said:

@linuxgurugamer, @hab136 pointed me in this direction for a vent part for SM.   I was searching for this mod about 6 months ago (or longer) when discussions came up about utilizing a part for venting, but could not find it.  I'll be looking into integrating this part for resource dump capabilities in Realism mode for ShipManifest.  I will ping you if I have any questions or needs.  thanks for maintaining this mod!

OK

My automated re-entry crew vehicles now have six Alt-PROs on the capsule (I should probably look into the scripting mod, eh?).  I run a moderately modded game and the Alt-PROs really help keeping it hands-off on descent / landing back on Kerbin.  It's definitely one of my favorite tools.

Since I run StageRecovery and because my crew return vehicles have service modules that I want to save (they cost 15-45k each), I've designed things so that the service module gets jettisoned at 65km altitude and follows the pod down outside the 2.5km physics bubble.  The goal is to land both close to KSC for maximum recovery value, but the SM needs to get at least 2.5km away before I go below ~27km altitude (for Stage Recovery rules).  Which leads to a complex set of steps.

0th (prepare for de-orbit) - I setup a maneuver node in orbit that drops my Pe to 25km altitude in Kerbin's atmosphere (from about 75-150km above Kerbin's surface).  I use MechJeb's landing guidance to show the landing prediction / trajectory.  Since MJ tends to overshoot, move the maneuver node around in orbit until the red line (trajectory) is somewhere off the east coast of KSC (about 150-200km out).

1st - The first Alt-Pro fires at 70km absolute altitude, on descent, for event #5.  This event retracts any antennas, solar panels, or other things that would break in atmosphere.  And I have MechJeb point the craft prograde (I'll explain why in a bit).

2nd -  The second Alt-Pro fires at 65km absolute altitude.  It decouples the service module and fires the backward pointing separatron rockets mounted on the SM, which gets the SM into a lower trajectory and quickly moving out of the 2.5m physics bubble.  It doesn't need much of a kick, but at least 50 m/s separation would be good.  That's why the craft points prograde during the first part, so that the SM gets kicked retrograde (otherwise it might go back up and get into a stable orbit).

3rd - The third Alt-Pro fires at 60-63km absolute altitude and uses MechJeb (MJ) to turn the pod back to retrograde so that the heat shield is pointing the right way.

4th - The fourth Alt-Pro fires (stage group #8) at 2km AGL (above ground level), turns off MJ's hold-to-retrograde and releases the drogue chutes.  I've tested this in the mountains of Kerbin and it's a pretty sure thing that the speed will be low enough for the drogue chutes not to rip on deployment.  Their goal is to slow things down just enough for the main chutes which are going to deploy 10 seconds later.

5th - The fifth Alt-Pro fires at 700-800m AGL and releases the main chutes (stage group #9).  It's optional whether you cut the drogue chute lines, but I don't any more.

6th - The sixth and last Alt-Pro fires at 150km AGL (stage group #10) and discards the heat shield and deploys any flotation bags and landing air bags (or landing gear).  These days I prefer the Radial Airbags from USI (Umbra Space Industries) and the Radial Inflatable Floats for Kerbin return pods.  The airbags can be hidden under / inside the 2.5m heat shield, aimed slightly outward, and other radial airbags can be attached to the upper pod surfaces to keep it from rolling or being damaged on a tip-over event.

So once I setup a return trajectory and fire the burn, it's a hands-off landing courtesy of the Smart Parts.

2 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

3rd - The third Alt-Pro fires at 60-63km absolute altitude and uses MechJeb (MJ) to turn the pod back to retrograde so that the heat shield is pointing the right way.

I still haven't figured out how to activate MJ this way. Can you elaborate how you did it, please? That would be quite helpfull to automate the launches of my SSTO's.

I'm using two Alt-Pro's now. The first fires at 31 KM and activates the mainsails. The second fires at 38 km and shuts down the jet engines. I'm guessing that five Alt-Pro's should be sufficent to get the SSTO to orbit after taking off from the runway. One at 200 m to retract the gear and set the pitch to 15 degrees; one at 19 km to change the pitch to 10 degrees and one at 42 km to activate MJ to take it into orbit.

4 hours ago, TheCardinal said:

I still haven't figured out how to activate MJ this way. Can you elaborate how you did it, please? That would be quite helpfull to automate the launches of my SSTO's.

I just go into the action groups in the VAB/SPH, pick what event I want to tie to, then click on the AR202 (or in my case, since I've modded an AR202 into custom versions of the pods I use, I click on the pod itself).  There will be options for "prograde", "retrograde", "disable S.A.S.S.", etc.

4 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

I just go into the action groups in the VAB/SPH, pick what event I want to tie to, then click on the AR202 (or in my case, since I've modded an AR202 into custom versions of the pods I use, I click on the pod itself).  There will be options for "prograde", "retrograde", "disable S.A.S.S.", etc.

Thank you. Unfortunately it doesn't make it possible to set the pitch or activate the MJ ascent module. Nevertheless, it might be usefull for other manoeuvers.

23 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

(I should probably look into the scripting mod, eh?)

Absolutely, if your up for doing some scripting that is. kOS can do everything that you just mentioned and more with a little bit of effort and only 1 part. (Hurray for lower part counts!) With that being said though, I still keep this mod around as well just in case I find a use for it. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to include a 1/10 second order timer countdown? Could there also be a configurable number of timers in each of the timer modules? Ie one timer module could have a 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3 second timer that are all activated on one action group?

On 23.06.2016 at 5:30 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I just released 1.8.0, which is compatible with 1.1.3 AND adds the ability to toggle the Gear action group

I'm sorry sir, did you perhaps, pulled back that release? Because I can only find 1.6.6 on the download page ( https://github.com/BrettWebb/KerbalSmartParts/releases

I was just about to try your wonderful mod for the very first time, but latest release doesn't seem to be accepted by my game version.