[1.0.4] Smart Parts v1.6.6 | DDS Textures and Bug Fixes | July 5

Firov

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Why? The are small, adding physics to them will impact performance

It's a counter intuitive flag. PhysicsSignificance = 1 would remove the physics (sort of) and move the mass to the parent part. Useful on radial parts that you don't want effecting weight balance.

38 minutes ago, Jso said:

It's a counter intuitive flag. PhysicsSignificance = 1 would remove the physics (sort of) and move the mass to the parent part. Useful on radial parts that you don't want effecting weight balance.

If that's true, then I'll get to it.

8 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If that's true, then I'll get to it.

I'm going to add it to all the parts where the mass is <= 0.05, I'm leaving it in the others.

Look for a release later this evening

i've had this mod installed for a while but haven't used any of the parts except for the fuel vents (which are brilliant).  then yesterday i suddenly realised the altimeter part was the perfect solution to a problem i was having. to my dismay i discovered the max alt you can specify is 500km... while my application requires something closer to the order of 500Gm.  i figured i'd try downloading the source and changing it myself (which i have successfully done), and that is where i am stuck.  i have no experience with IDEs, and have only ever compiled code on *nix systems before. i've looked at ksp modding tutorials but they're mainly geared towards writing your own; not compiling others'.

so i guess this post has two requests: one, would it be easy for you to explain how to compile this?  and secondly, would you consider making the altitude cap a little bit orders of magnitude bigger?

Spoiler

(this is my crude hack, btw)

[KSPField(isPersistant = true, guiActiveEditor = false, guiActive = false, guiName = "Kilometers", guiFormat = "F0", guiUnits = "km"),
            UI_FloatEdit(scene = UI_Scene.All, minValue = 0f, maxValue = 500000000f, incrementLarge = 10000000f, incrementSmall = 100f, incrementSlide = 1f)]
        public float kilometerHeight = 0;

Edited by antgeth

2 hours ago, antgeth said:

i've had this mod installed for a while but haven't used any of the parts except for the fuel vents (which are brilliant).  then yesterday i suddenly realised the altimeter part was the perfect solution to a problem i was having. to my dismay i discovered the max alt you can specify is 500km... while my application requires something closer to the order of 500Gm.  i figured i'd try downloading the source and changing it myself (which i have successfully done), and that is where i am stuck.  i have no experience with IDEs, and have only ever compiled code on *nix systems before. i've looked at ksp modding tutorials but they're mainly geared towards writing your own; not compiling others'.

so i guess this post has two requests: one, would it be easy for you to explain how to compile this?  and secondly, would you consider making the altitude cap a little bit orders of magnitude bigger?

Reveal hidden contents

(this is my crude hack, btw)

[KSPField(isPersistant = true, guiActiveEditor = false, guiActive = false, guiName = "Kilometers", guiFormat = "F0", guiUnits = "km"),
            UI_FloatEdit(scene = UI_Scene.All, minValue = 0f, maxValue = 500000000f, incrementLarge = 10000000f, incrementSmall = 100f, incrementSlide = 1f)]
        public float kilometerHeight = 0;

What application do you need 500 Gigameters?  You are aware that:

• Earth's average distance from the Sun is 149.6 Gm or 1 AU.
  • Jupiter's average distance from the Sun is 778.5 Gm or 5.2 AU.

It almost seems that you are looking for a distance from the sun, and that is outside the ability of this mod.  I shudder to think of what would happen.  I don't even know how KSP would react to that.  It's possible that it would work, but have no idea, nor do I know how to easily test this.

Also, keep in mind that these parts only work on the active vessel.  It sounds like you want to have something happen when the vessel gets out far beyond most planets.  I hate to be a downer, but I really thin you should look into using Kerbal Alarm Clock, since it will usually take years to get that far out.

Regarding the setup, I assume you are on Windows, so first, download and install Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015.  Then, you can open the solution (.sln file) in the mod directory.  You will need to update the references to point to where you have a working KSP directory.  After that, you should be good to go

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What application do you need 500 Gigameters?  You are aware that:

• Earth's average distance from the Sun is 149.6 Gm or 1 AU.
  • Jupiter's average distance from the Sun is 778.5 Gm or 5.2 AU.

it's a perfect storm combination of the sigma dimensions mod, remotetech, warp drive, and some kopernicus star system packs.   i want to shutdown the warp drive and activate an antenna when the vessel gets close enough (~80Gm) to a star.  kOS could do the job but would be a lot more involved.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Regarding the setup, I assume you are on Windows, so first, download and install Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015.  Then, you can open the solution (.sln file) in the mod directory.  You will need to update the references to point to where you have a working KSP directory.  After that, you should be good to go

i opened the .sln file and it gave me an error saying it couldn't find the project file.

edit: i'm using mvsc 2013... in the unlikely event that's the issue.

Edited by antgeth

18 hours ago, antgeth said:

it's a perfect storm combination of the sigma dimensions mod, remotetech, warp drive, and some kopernicus star system packs.   i want to shutdown the warp drive and activate an antenna when the vessel gets close enough (~80Gm) to a star.  kOS could do the job but would be a lot more involved.

i opened the .sln file and it gave me an error saying it couldn't find the project file.

edit: i'm using mvsc 2013... in the unlikely event that's the issue.

It is, please download and install Visual Studio Community 2015

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2016 at 7:28 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

There is now a beta for the 1.2 prerelease on Github

Would it be possible to implement a feature in the new "Speedometer" part, or a new part if necessary, that could trigger once you hit a certain G limit?

The situation that I think this would come in handy is when you have reached a certain amount, example of 4G's, you could have an action group that throttles your engine back. The main real-world application that I can currently think of is when the Atlas V throttles back when it reaches 5 G's. Another example is it could be used to trigger your parachute once you reach a certain amount during reentry.

I don't know if you'd be interested, but I thought I'd ask / give a suggestion for another feature! :)

Thanks for keeping this mod alive, as well as your time!

Edited by FiiZzioN

One request that has been asked before is for a smart part to trigger on atmospheric density, similar to parachutes.  Of course it used to only be good for solar panels, but could now be useful for radiators, and after 1.2 antennas.  The idea is a part that can be used to control them via action group when entering/exiting an atmosphere.  Consider a launch from Kerbin, aerobrake at Jool, and land at Laythe, could then be done with one part controlling the deployables keeping them safe.  Yes one altimeter works great for Kerbin, can be used for Kerbin-Duna or Kerbin-Eve, but Kerbin-Jool is such a great difference that it takes at least two, and the Kerbin Altimeter would deactivate after use and only reactivate it upon return to Kerbin SOI.  It doesn't even have to be a new part, but an additional capability of the altimeter.

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible for the altimeter sensor to be set up to read from the lowest point of the craft rather from the center of mass, in AGL mode?  I'd like to set up an action to kill the engine during a suicide burn at the moment of touchdown (acting something like the Apollo LM's ground contact sensors under the foot pads), but it doesn't work because the sensor is still considering the craft be above 0 altitude when the landing gear is touching the ground.  And the speed sensor doesn't work either, because the craft bounces without actually reaching zero m/sec.

Five things that I'd find quite helpful, three of which only occurred to me just as I was writing this.
I don't urgently need them, but they I'd find good use for them.

1) Temperature. For example to switch a multi-mode engine to the less-powerful mode when the tip of the rocket starts getting too hot. Or to just trigger any action group, which in turn would be a trigger for my KOS script to throttle back.

2) Throttle. A trigger that won't start an action group, but will increase or decrease throttle by some amount when its trigger-condition occurs.  The uses for this would be moderately limited, avoiding overheating on takeoff or maybe adjusting thrust on a lander.

3) Action groups, for that matter. For when I need things to happen one after the other. The trigger would fire its action group when another, specific action group goes off. If the trigger could be "if several action groups go off", this would allow fairly straight-forward implementation of doing x when complex set of y conditions is met. Other triggers could just turn on other, empty action groups, for the final trigger to see whether it's time has come.

4) A delay. For the "after" part of "one after the other". For example on the fuel trigger. Trigger an action group or another NOT at the moment the trigger condition is met, but n seconds later. Decouple not when the fuel is gone and the stage has burnt out, but 1 second after that.

5) Orientation. A trigger that goes off when the navball reaches, or departs, from a specific position, possibly with the option to define a tolerance around that. So that, for instance, a burn is started the very moment the ship is facing the right direction, or for release of a reentry capsule from an orbiter at just the right moment.

I'm sure most of this will be anywhere between monumentally difficult and impossible. I don't "expect" any of it to be implemented by anyone.
Just throwing those out there.
Kthanksbye!

On 10/15/2016 at 5:40 PM, DerGolgo said:

4) A delay. For the "after" part of "one after the other". For example on the fuel trigger. Trigger an action group or another NOT at the moment the trigger condition is met, but n seconds later. Decouple not when the fuel is gone and the stage has burnt out, but 1 second after that.

For #4, use the timer part.  Have the fuel sensor stage, and in the next stage have the timer part.  Or use action groups if you're not sure what stage the first sensor will trigger.

A common pattern for me is:

• fuel sensor triggers, fires stage
  • next stage opens the fairing, triggers a timer set for 1 second to fire the next stage
  • next stage fires the decoupler (which was inside the fairing), and triggers a different timer set for 1 second to fire the next stage
  • next stage starts the engine

The result is that when my booster stage empties, the fairing automatically pops, a second later the booster separates, then a second later the engine starts.  The idea is that my booster stage doesn't immediately explode from the stage after it.  Since I'm using StageRecovery, I want my bosster to survive.

For the rest, you're getting into full autopilot territory.  Have you looked at kOS or kRPC?

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Stop_signGEORGE said:

May I suggest that all Smart Parts be moved to their own category? I personally would find that much more intuitive, as I'm sure other would as well. It would also reduce cluttering in the Utilities category.

I moved them all to Control in my game. Made sense to me. I don't think we need another category.

Just now, Deimos Rast said:

I moved them all to Control in my game. Made sense to me. I don't think we need another category.

That's actually a good idea, since control doesn't have much in it. I just think it would be much better to keep as much stuff out of utilities as possible, since nearly everything can go there.

I use this patch to do sort the smart parts into control, because I am to lazy to change all the configs again on updates:

@PART[km_smart_alt_low,kb-fuel-breaker1,kb-fuel-breaker3,kb-fuel-breaker15,kb-fuel-breaker2,FuelController,km_smart_fuel,km_prox_sensor,km_valve2,km_valve,km_smart_time,km_smart_speed,km_smart_radio]:AFTER[SmartParts]
{
@category = Control
}

Maybe it saves one of you some time :-)