Show off your Debris Near Misses here!

AlamoVampire

You shouldn't! That's one of the fun part of KSP!

Even if quickload right after.

*KABOOM*

*Red Alert everywhere, siren screaming*

-WHAT WAS THAT,

-WE HIT CAPTAIN, ORBITAL DEBRIS

-EVERYONE TO TEH ESCAPE PODS.

I had fun once an accident with one of my space station that resulted in a big chunk of inert metal in close orbit, but moving away from the station... I forgot my orbital science, and left it at that.

When I came back to that station, the debris was closing in fast, and right toward the heat radiators/solar panels.

Had to fold all that was foldable and use all the station's RCS at full power to avoid collision. Moving at like 1-2 m/s.

It was like a michael bay film in slow motion.

Have you ever tried a reversed orbit at your 80km parking/first stage decoupling orbit?

That's when you realize how much failed launch, badly designed first-stage-deorbit system and elecrical failure you had.

This gave me the idea to conduct a single launch westwards into this mess.

6B41CE9E28538C6E9C2076D8BFBFAE4CBBE4E304

Technically those are all ships and probes in LKO, but since I don't intend to deorbit them, they might as well be debris.

A8674AD6F2EDF504B92F4DE35767B244556215A0

Will post a further pic if I get a collision but so far the closest I've gotten is 0.651 km.

5743E3F9DAEEC67DEBAA48A8B72EFC977023FF1C

Edited by eempc

Even with 120 objects in LKO, that was as close as I got to any object in the whole 15 minutes before getting bored. Launching eastwards I never got anywhere closer than 2.5 km. I would be so happy to collide with anything, but even deliberate attempts seems like hard work.

Even with 120 objects in LKO, that was as close as I got to any object in the whole 15 minutes before getting bored. Launching eastwards I never got anywhere closer than 2.5 km. I would be so happy to collide with anything, but even deliberate attempts seems like hard work.

Wonder how long it would take if you had 10, 20 or 30 times the objects up there...

small note to anyone who keeps an eye on this thread aside from me: I am working on an unlimited persistent debris experiment launching to 150km orbit headed west. I have done 2 such launches, with 8x symmetry of radial decouplers at 14 stages worth of them. I HAD a third launch in progress about 10 min ago, but a stupid update reboot from my computer w/ 0 warned ended my night :( I am shooting for 10 such launches in total to see just how many i can get up in the debris column. game says 240 so far XD

I have no pictures but when i was making my first station in ksp some while ago i was docking the third module, suddenly a spent booster tage from maybe the first module idk bussed by the station, missed by like 10 meters!.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this deserves a little bump with what happened to me yesterday.

You know it's bad when even Jeb looks a little flustered.

closecall_zpsbf617bce.png

Coming in on a steep descent after I ran out of fuel trying to fix it (after a poorly planned munar intercept flung me into a crazy-tight orbit)

At least I ended up in the same hemisphere as KSC :cool:

That was the jettisoned kerbin-system-exploration-booster... I had jettisoned it with centripetal force, but I guess it still caught back up to me. With deadly-reentry, it was exploding and making all sorts of ugly noises the whole time as it streaked by.

The only reason I caught it with a screenshot is because I saw it coming far before it got here haha

Oh, and here's a fun debris-field from a glitch right after the release of the ARM missions...

screenshot17_zps04b60320.png

Edited by User Unrelated

• 4 years later...

I realize that the most recent response is roughly 4.5 years old. That being said I think debris near misses are still relevant and can be fun to chat about. So with that being said I would like to dust this thread off to see what shenanigans our debris near misses are upto 4 or so years after I first posed this delightful question. So what are YOUR debris near misses?  op 02:38:30

I was going to do a flyby of Gol and upon entering its SOI i decoupled the transfer stage. Then I went onto dipping my Pe as low as I could (In map screen), and after returning from map my transfer stage was rather quickly rotating away, because I hit it with my ship. Near miss can be the fact that nothing important expolded.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.