Building with off-centered Command Pod

I've been building an in-orbit fuel depot around Kerbin. There is also a fuel supply vehicle, as the depot was drained dry getting it up there, plus I'll need to fill it as I use it up. My problem is that I want to have a centrally mounted docking port at the top of the ship, right where the command pod normally would go. I'm fine with having an off center pod, even several to maintain symmetry, but can't figure out how to build it.

I can:

A) Place a stayputnik, then build underneath it. But I cannot then move the stayputnik to a non-central location. Nor can I move the rocket relative to the stayputnik. It just refuses to attach anywhere but where it came from. This is also true even if extra stayputniks are attached. Neither can the original stayputnik be deleted, even if extras are attached.

B) Build a single rocket, then attach a much taller "stalk" next to it, complete with docking port on top, then duplicate the originals around the stalk. Basically, this is a mess. It takes very little to confuse the VAB while doing this, and nothing ends up aligned the way it should. Going back to make a minor modification is pointless. You just have to start all over.

C) Build a rocket with a centrally mounted stayputnik, then build a truss of sorts around and over the top of it to support the docking port. This looked goofy, and really doesn't appear to be structurally stable.

D) Build what is essentially two rockets stacked with a docking port in between. The top rocket is nothing more than a stayputnik, small fuel tank, and some radial engines. After I hit orbit, I can undock and then burn this disposable unit into re-entry. Note that this does require another stayputnik on the portion I intend to keep.

I am currently working with option D and it does O.K., but this seems like an unnecessary work around. Is there a better way?

Edited by ODaily
Question answered.

I believe you should be able to just plop a docking port right on top of the stayputnik. It'd work better if you have one of the flat probe cores though.

Also, you don't need to have the Command Pod as the first part you place. You can select the docking port you want and start with that. The reason you can't move your Stayputnik other than where you put it is becuase thats the root part, ie the first part you selected. Start with your docking port and build down.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.