Blast from the Past. Finishing my 0.23 Jool Grand Tour

Soda Popinski

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Welcome back! I admire your commitment to the Mission, and to the Report!

Thanks for checking out my little Mission Report.  I've been off the KSP forums for quite some time (got sucked into Elite: Dangerous, thanks to Scott Manley's videos).  Just discovered your Kerbfleet graphic novels, and finished Duna, Ore Bust just now.  Amazing!  Looking forward to the rest.

At this point, I'm expecting 2 more videos in this series.  The first one will be the construction and launch of the Prometheus rescue ship and Jool capture.  It'll bring a Kethane drilling rig capable of landing on Tylo.  As time is of the essence, I'm not using a Hohmann transfer, but doing as straight as a shot as possible.  The thing is a giant nuclear powered space asparagus.  6 boosters (+1 core) with 49 NTRs.  Made back in beta, before budgets were a thing!  2nd video will be landing and rescue, and probably the Jool return trip for the Discovery 2.

Edited by Soda Popinski

Not super related to the mission, but necessary and very entertaining!  I previously brought up the Discovery 2 crew on a huge ugly SSTO I built.  Back then, there were no large spaceplane parts, so to ferry up 9 kerbals, I needed to use rocket parts.  Rocket parts which have no lift.  So big and clunky with huge wings.  That shuttle was docked at my space station, and brought down the crew of the successful Duna mission.  I realized my space station no longer has the shuttle, so I'd need to bring it up, assuming I successfully bring back the Jool mission.

I hadn't flown this SSTO, nor any SSTO in quite a while, so I had to relearn how to do it.  This is a quick video (with narrations and close captions) showing this process.

And for mulch and giggles, I smashed it with an asteroid in "simulation" around 1:40.

Edited by Soda Popinski
Typo

Teaser for my upcoming Rescue Mission.  I've been so inspired by Kuzzter's work, I want to make something of a narrative for this.  Something like a short cinematic, so who knows when it'll get done.

Until then, here's a quick view of the Mother of all Rockets I'm sending out to rescue Bill in a hurry from Tylo.  This is an orbitally assembled 6 Booster Nuclear Space Asparagus.  I believe I end up leaving Kerbin's SOI at over 13km/s.  Jool intercept in 314 (6h) days.  A conventional Hohmann Transfer would take almost 1200 days of travel time, not including waiting almost 2 years for the launch window.

I realized I screwed up on one of the titles, both repeating it and having a typo.  

• 2 weeks later...

As teased in the prior post, I've started the Rescue Mission to retrieve Bill from the surface of Tylo.  Instead of a standard Mission Report, I'm making it sort of a comedy/cinematic, after being inspired by Kuzzter's amazing Kerbfleet narrative.  I figure, it's related to this Report, so I'd post it here too.

Edited by Soda Popinski
Syntax error.

16 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Wonderful, I needed a laugh today--and your voice acting is outstanding! 

Glad to return the favor!  Thanks for the kind words.

I'm curious, for your monitor screens, are those stills, or are you able to load video in them?  Since I'm doing video, I'm planning on having a few scenes with my characters looking at video monitors for various reasons.  Worse comes to worse, I'll fake it badly with Adobe Premiere.  If I'm less lazy, I'll perspective correct it in After Effects.  Ideally, if I can do it in game, that would be a lot easier.  Sorry to pick your brain.

The viewscreens in Kerbfleet comics are a video monitor part brilliantly constructed by @Angel-125. Simply install the monitor on your craft, and right-click on it to choose any image in your screenshot folder to display. They come in various sizes, too :)  I think it's part of Wild Blue Tools but I'm not sure.

58 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

The viewscreens in Kerbfleet comics are a video monitor part brilliantly constructed by @Angel-125. Simply install the monitor on your craft, and right-click on it to choose any image in your screenshot folder to display. They come in various sizes, too :)  I think it's part of Wild Blue Tools but I'm not sure.

Stills then.  Still very useful, as I think I'll load up green screens so I can have the video displays partly obscured by the kerbals.  I get a feeling I won't have Part 2 up as soon as I originally anticipated.  Thanks for the info!

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Stills then.  Still very useful, as I think I'll load up green screens so I can have the video displays partly obscured by the kerbals.  I get a feeling I won't have Part 2 up as soon as I originally anticipated.  Thanks for the info!

Yup, though I am re-investigating how to do real-time display from a camera on the ship. That was part of my original plan, but I couldn't figure it out at the time.

7 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Yup, though I am re-investigating how to do real-time display from a camera on the ship. That was part of my original plan, but I couldn't figure it out at the time.

I don't know what I'm talking about yet, as I haven't installed or messed around with these mods yet, but it looks to me like Raster Prop Monitor lets you get an external camera view.  

Anyway, thanks for putting in this amazing work.  I'll definitely have to install Wild Blue Industries!

I realized, I should probably post that I've got Part 2 of the Rescue Mission up on it's dedicated thread.  

I didn't want to post the video here, as it's essentially its own mission at this point, and I feel like I'm Spamming a bit, having it on two Mission Report threads, in addition to the Cinematics Thread, and as a reply to the Daily Kerbal, where Part 1 was posted.

Much thanks to Angel-125 for Wild Blue Industries.  I ended up loading green screens onto the monitors to help me do the video composites.  Also, KHTRE's Furniture Mod was invaluable for making my modest Mission Control.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.