Control thrust limiter (increase/decrease) with action groups.

Now that we have the ability to set a thrust limit on individual engines, ir'd be a good idea if we could assign a way to increase or decrease the thrust limiter using the action groups.

IE, you control throttle settings with shift and ctrl as you normally would, but you could use the 1 and 2 keys to increase/decrease the max thrust on the engines that you assign to those action group keys.

That is all.

• 3 months later...
Good for multiple engine configurations, too, where right clicking is difficult to do quickly enough.

This more than anything. It is what prompted me to make this suggestion in the past.

Either a toggle, or throttlable thrust limiter would be great.

If this is implement, we should be able to change the lights' colours so we can make a disco rocket :D

Actually, you can already do that in the ARM update, just go to the VAB and right click the lights, then move the slider for the RGB hues.

Actually, you can already do that in the ARM update, just go to the VAB and right click the lights, then move the slider for the RGB hues.

I meant doing it in-flight, so when you press 1 the light turns red, 2 and the light turns blue for example.

Since there is no "Me too" button in the suggestions page, I will have to post my "Me too" in a reply to this thread.

Good idea!

Anyway, I'm sure that more and more options will be added to Tweakables in future updates, and this should be one of them. Another one should be adding the option to "Control from here" from different probe cores and capsules in the action group editor.

• 3 weeks later...

*bump* found this with Google, describes exactly what I would want as well. I'm looking to build a hybrid jet/electric aircraft and right now I can only use one engine since managing two is tough. Although, I found that alt+right click to bring up both tweakable menus at the same time does help

I'd much rather use something like Throttle Controlled Avionics and offload all that busywork. What are you going to use manual thrust controls for? Manoeuvring? Why not just let some code do vary the thrust for you so you have that control with the normal buttons?

What are you going to use manual thrust controls for?

I need it for my hybrid jet/electric prop plane. Jets do the heavy work to get the aircraft up, then they can throttle way back in cruise and let the props take up more of the load. It's also good to have an easy way to manually control thrust now that FAR enables destruction via aerodynamic pressure. For example, a drop probe I outfit for science gathering around Kerbin can't survive more than 6,500Pa before its probe core is ripped off. So rather than having to watch my throttle every time I take off, I can just figure out what thrust setting works to keep Q under 6.5kPa and throttle up to 100% without worrying about damage. Then I can tweak the thrust as I fly rather than the throttle.

Edit: Nevermind, I actually found this through the Throttle Controlled Avionics thread. I KNEW I had seen this mod a while ago but when I found TCA I figured that was what it was and stopped looking further. Sweet!

Edited by Gaiiden

Cannot we simply have a modifier button to press while holding Ctrl or Shift ? It would work similarly to the trim adjustments (Alt+S/W).

I understand that it cannot be the Alt modifier because alt+Shift would cause major problems for people using different keyboard layouts, but there still can be an analog solution insn't it ?

As modifier+Ctrl would look and be used like trim, it wouldn't be hard to adapt to this new mechanic and would not make the action groups do things they are not supposed to (they are toogle buttons, not "dial" commands like WASD, ctrl & shift).

That is my take, what do you think of it ?

You're right that action groups are meant as toggles. So instead of limiting thrust, it would be nice to select/deselect individual engines or in groups. I had such a keyboard layout for myself flying 4 engined WW2 bombers in IL2 1946: keys 1 to 4 select/deselect an engine, after that I could control them individually with prop pitch, throttle, mixture and cooling flaps.

This is nice for rockets/planes with a limited amount of engines. Highest number of rocket engines I once had was 96 or so.

• 7 months later...

I was just gonna post this idea when I saw this one. This would be great because adjusting the thrust limiter manually on multiple engines means that your thrust is gonna be off balance while you're making the adjustments. If you could adjust all at once or shift all of them at once with an action group it would make things so much better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.