Just one extra part.

If you could add just one extra part into the game what would it be? It can be form a mod but it must only be ONE part not one set of parts. It can have any function you like.

This is just out of interest and curiosity. Do not take this as a wish list to send to squad and don't argue over existing parts. I only ask for one part because we all have a list of 5 to 100 parts we might like but its more interesting to think what is the ONE most important part of that list and that can work on its own.

Edited by Clockwork_werewolf

Caterpillar tracks, for "off-road" rovers and they're easier to place. Instead of placing 5 sets of wheels, just one sets of tracks, plus they look better on big vehicles. (I realize there's a mod, but I'm too lazy to get it... :P)

I think the crane/swing arm idea are actually one in the same. If done right it could be varying sizes to either or depending on the players needs. To be honest it could be designed with the parts already in game in the form of the cube parts with an added hinge. It doesn't have to look pretty as long as it is effective in how it works, function before fashion I feel.

After seeing everyone's suggestions, it's hard for me to choose since i was considering all of those. If anything, i would want a cargo bay because even though i ave made one with stock parts, it's a long and involved process and symmetry doesn't work well with it. And I really want to build a shuttle without having to download mods.

P.S. Naten, your signature is hilarious! :sticktongue:

Aramcheck: What would you have an Electromagnet be for? is it to dock ships, pick up objects or some other strange use like a rail gun system for accelerating ships?

I would defiantly use a cargo bay though I think as blspblackdeath said a hinge might be more useful.

Nice answers everyone, it's interesting to see what people pick and why and we are getting a good range of objects too.

Heh. A friend and I had a discussion recently: I was suggesting a part that would serve as a variable/switchable aerobrake: Basically a solid body out of which would swing a group of "wings", each with the flat side facing forward to maximise drag.

After kicking the idea around for a few minutes we decided that, *if* the drag model was updated to take proper account of angle of incidence, then really all that needs to be added is a very sturdy general purpose hinge, with a short but solid arm to attach more parts onto. You could then position as many hinges as you liked around your ship, and attach any, uh, "negatively aerodynamic" parts onto them that seemed appropriate to build the aerobrake... Or you could use the same part to built a crane arm, etc. (Main problem being how to control multiple hinges if you didn't want them all just to open and close together.)

I see that the same "basic hinge" and "arm" ideas are cropping up in this thread... But no one else has mentioned aerobrakes yet! =:o}

Edited by pbristow

A right triangle truss or block, so we can put 45° bends and elbows in our contraptions without a bunch of ugly clipping.

Ooh! Yes, that's a good one. Actually, even more useful would a 30/60/90deg triangular wedge, as it gives you twice as many new angles to play with.

(I get so frustrated trying to get mount points in the right places so that my spot-lights - sorry, "Illuminator MK I"s - can light up the best/most important features of the ship... They always want to shine straight along the surface they're stuck to, or outward at almost-but-not-quite 90 degrees! =:o} )

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.