To 0.23 or not to 0.23...

zeppelinmage

...That is the question.

Currently, I'm running 0.22. This is my first game, and I've had it a whole three weeks (Year 1, Day 83). I've unlocked most of the tech tree so far, only a few Tier 7s and most of 8 left. maybe... 6000 science to go.

I've been debating lately whether to upgrade to 0.23 or not. If I do, am I correct in my assumption that my current save game is incompatible and will be lost? And what will I be missing out on?

(I realize these questions, or similar, are likely answered elsewhere... links to those answers are appreciated. :) )

No, you are incorrect in you're assumption.. 0.22 save just work, nothing fancy that has been added that will break compatibility of savegames..

What you... just take a look in the patchnotes, most noticable, the optimalisations and science overview..

BTW, did i mention the optimalisations, and the science overview, and dont forget, the optimalisations and a reordered techtree, and tweakables and..... much much more..

And ow, i allmost forgot, they added some nifty optimalisations :D

You games (and persistent.sfs) should be located in the ksp\saves\save_game_name directory..

Ships are also stored there in an seperate directory, same for the saved Subassemblies

Since 0.20 mods are stored in ksp/gamedata with the KSP/PLUGINS and KSP/PARTS directory as legacy backup for older mods, but by now with 0.23 it can be considered obsolete.

So for backup purposes, you only need the KSP\GAMEDATA\MoDs without the SQUAD directory, what contains the stock parts, and KSP\SAVES for backup..

Never played the Demo, but i assume it works with a simulair structure..

I would create a folder under KSP called "saves" and make a folder under that with your save game name of choice, and copy your persistent & quicksave files there along with ships folder.

I would certainly do that, if I could find the .sfs files at all. I do a search (including system and hidden files), and nothing comes up. I think the Demo save was integrated into the program, and since I simply overwrote the Demo with 0.22, it's using that same functionality for my primary career save. :huh:

Either way, I have 0.23 and the updated mods downloaded... going to backup and then try and see if upgrading works in a few minutes. :)

For the record, upgrading worked fine. :) Currently launching the next mission in my Munar X series.

I do have to re-do my alarms, and the Kerbal Engineer isn't "counting down" delta-V like it used to... but otherwise, everything's working well.

I've been getting a lot of Kraken attacks on 0.23 using Engineer and KAC. They mostly occur when switching to interplanetary ships going over ~10,000m/s, but switching to them using KAC seems to fix it.

Just a heads up. :)

How does a generic surface sample taken from Minmus in 0.22 - when Minmus had no biomes - get handled when the save file is converted to 0.23? Does the sample get reassigned to a biome retrospectively?

I'm only interested as I landed a science vehicle on Duna in advance of the next update.

How does a generic surface sample taken from Minmus in 0.22 - when Minmus had no biomes - get handled when the save file is converted to 0.23? Does the sample get reassigned to a biome retrospectively?

I'm only interested as I landed a science vehicle on Duna in advance of the next update.

Apparently, it remains "generic". You can re-hit the biome for more science later. I'll have to try it when I do my Minmus landings later on. :)

screenshot82.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.