[1.0.x] Habitat Pack v0.41

Porkjet

I have begun using this mod in a DMP server with some friends, and none of us are able to attach ANY parts whatsoever to the bottom of any of the parts from this mod.

We also have MechJeb, FTmN Atomic Rockets, Procedural Fairings and Procedural Parts.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks, EpicCrayon

I have begun using this mod in a DMP server with some friends, and none of us are able to attach ANY parts whatsoever to the bottom of any of the parts from this mod.

We also have MechJeb, FTmN Atomic Rockets, Procedural Fairings and Procedural Parts.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks, EpicCrayon

you cannot radially attach things to the hab modules, if you can't attach anything to the nodes that is a problem.

you cannot radially attach things to the hab modules, if you can't attach anything to the nodes that is a problem.

Yes, the nodes. For example, if I need to put a decoupler beneath a module, it doesn't attach. They attach to the top of them perfectly fine, though. Just the bottom.

I'm wondering if it is some sort of compatibility problem with one of my other mods, but most of them are used by many, so I would doubt it being that.

Edited by EpicCrayon

The node attachment issue is a well known thing that happened to every part mod when 1.0 released. Squad was apparently using the bottom node the wrong way round prior to 1.0 and so every mod had to account for that, but then it was fixed on release, leaving mods partially broken.

It's an extremely simple fix, however, and I think someone posted it earlier in the thread; go into the part config files, find the node_stack_bottom line, and there should be 6 or 7 numbers there. Look for the number '1.0' somewhere around the fifth value and change it to '-1.0'.

Voila, working parts :)

I've put up a compatiblity update for 1.0.

This has been the last update as I am working on a new and better mod to entirely replace this.

Sorry for keeping you waiting, I was hoping to get around ever touching these old things again and just release the new mod, but I got a lot of PM's and demand for an update is apparently bigger than I thought it was, so here you go. Looking at these old models gave me some shivers here and there, heh... afterall it's now been almost 2 years since I made the first part, and I learned so much since then. These models are clumsy and super inefficient compared to what I do now, and I'm really looking forward to present you a completely overhauled version.

This has been the last update as I am working on a new and better mod to entirely replace this.

Sorry for keeping you waiting, I was hoping to get around ever touching these old things again and just release the new mod, but I got a lot of PM's and demand for an update is apparently bigger than I thought it was, so here you go. Looking at these old models gave me some shivers here and there, heh... afterall it's now been almost 2 years since I made the first part, and I learned so much since then. These models are clumsy and super inefficient compared to what I do now, and I'm really looking forward to present you a completely overhauled version.

Thanks for the update! Can't wait to see what comes next!

I'm sure that by comparison that you are capable of better work now than what is in Habitat Pack.... but you're being too hard on yourself. These are still great models.

nice to hear that, I like these models very much (with the exception of the ring gravity radius, is too small, unless is used just for sleep and not to walk or exercise) so not sure how do you plan to improve all this?

Any image spoilers or extra details about this new mod?

Glad to hear that, Porkjet! Actually, I like the old models and textures. If they would be converted to .dds and revamped a little, the habitat pack would be shiny again. Don't be that hard to yourself! Also, can we expect an Alpha pre-release of your work before 1.0.3 and a full release with IVAs before the Unity 5 switchover?

As long as they're inflatable, and there's a new ring hab, it's cool. Until then, though, the 1.0 pack will have to suffice. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Porkjet, you're missing the control transforms for the FLAT docking ports again.
Is that something that we simple users can fix in our installs?

Yes. Download this, and copy the contents of the zip file to your GameData folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ss7nh1c5pq445n/inflatoFlatFix.zip?dl=1

Then you will properly be able to control from each of the FLAT's three docking ports.

- - - Updated - - -

Anything in 1.0.4 that messed with this pack?

Not that I can tell. Looks ok to me so far.

• 2 weeks later...

So it probably goes without saying (and not reading the last few pages of the thread) that this is not 100% compatible with 1.0.4. I did a quick test by sending a FLAT to Duna.

First thing I noticed is it messed with the staging and kept firing my SRBs' ullage motors at the same time the SRBs themselves are fired, even though I triple checked that they were in separate stages. Disabling MechJeb's autostaging allowed me to circumvent this.

Not sure if it just a compatibility glitch or an omission from the start, but I feel the FLAT really should store some electric charge.

Lastly was something that was partly my fault and partly something I don't yet understand. I had the FLAT configured with the landing gear and a small engine. Below the engine I placed a stack separator and a heat shield, so that it could be jettisoned after atmo entry. Naturally however, attaching a 2.5m stack separator to a 0.625m engine creates only a 0.625m interstage adapter and things get weird, especially if you use the offset tool to "correct" it. Ultimately it sort of meant I tore the engine off when separating the heat shield, which I kind of achieved by a method called "hitting the ground at 40 m/s". Amazingly all the essentials survived intact, including the FLAT, the command core and the solar panels on top (actually attached to the core). It rolled along the surface for a while before coming to a rest on its side. Now I don't know if it was just a matter of the core (RC-001S RGU) not having enough torque to move the thing, but it read the torque as idle regardless of whether I moved it manually or tried to orient it with MechJeb.

Also, can you add the option to toggle off the rotation on the Centrifugium? Kinda weird that it can start spinning but then only reverse rotation and not just stop.

I should add a disclaimer that I manually updated the Firespitter and LayeredAnimations plugins to override those bundled with this pack.

Edited by Bobe

So it probably goes without saying (and not reading the last few pages of the thread) that this is not 100% compatible with 1.0.4. I did a quick test by sending a FLAT to Duna.

First thing I noticed is it messed with the staging and kept firing my SRBs' ullage motors at the same time the SRBs themselves are fired, even though I triple checked that they were in separate stages. Disabling MechJeb's autostaging allowed me to circumvent this.

Not sure if it just a compatibility glitch or an omission from the start, but I feel the FLAT really should store some electric charge.

Lastly was something that was partly my fault and partly something I don't yet understand. I had the FLAT configured with the landing gear and a small engine. Below the engine I placed a stack separator and a heat shield, so that it could be jettisoned after atmo entry. Naturally however, attaching a 2.5m stack separator to a 0.625m engine creates only a 0.625m interstage adapter and things get weird, especially if you use the offset tool to "correct" it. Ultimately it sort of meant I tore the engine off when separating the heat shield, which I kind of achieved by a method called "hitting the ground at 40 m/s". Amazingly all the essentials survived intact, including the FLAT, the command core and the solar panels on top (actually attached to the core). It rolled along the surface for a while before coming to a rest on its side. Now I don't know if it was just a matter of the core (RC-001S RGU) not having enough torque to move the thing, but it read the torque as idle regardless of whether I moved it manually or tried to orient it with MechJeb.

Also, can you add the option to toggle off the rotation on the Centrifugium? Kinda weird that it can start spinning but then only reverse rotation and not just stop.

I should add a disclaimer that I manually updated the Firespitter and LayeredAnimations plugins to override those bundled with this pack.

I can't think of any compatibility issues that I experience with the FLAT in 1.0.4 ...

There's certainly nothing in the pack that would cause the staging issues you described and in your own words it stopped happening when MechJeb's autostaging was disabled. It would help to know more about the craft, some pictures or a craft file. But something about that craft makes MJ think that it needed to keep staging, either its design or a decoupler from another mod that MJ doesn't recognize as a decoupler. Those are the only two reasons I know of behind unwanted staging in MJ.

As to lack of electric charge, an omission at worst; a choice by Porkjet at best. You're certainly entitled to the opinion that it should have electric charge but I point out to you that there are quite a few crewed modules do not have resources at all. (keep in mind that unless it's a command pod and/or has reaction wheels that most crewed parts don't have ElectricCharge resource)

There's certainly nothing in the pack that would cause the staging issues you described and in your own words it stopped happening when MechJeb's autostaging was disabled. It would help to know more about the craft, some pictures or a craft file. But something about that craft makes MJ think that it needed to keep staging, either its design or a decoupler from another mod that MJ doesn't recognize as a decoupler. Those are the only two reasons I know of behind unwanted staging in MJ.

Sorry, my stupid mistake. I did in fact have the ullage motors in a stage before the decouplers. It's strange because when I checked on the launch pad they looked fine, but when I just now loaded it up in the VAB they were separated.

I hope you take my word for it that I don't usually make silly errors like that.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.