[1.0.x] Habitat Pack v0.41

Porkjet

Deadly reentry offers support for a handy module called ModuleAnimation2Value, which lets you set properties (including drag, damage tolerance, etc.) depending on a part's animation state. So you could add those to the habs to get the effect you want.

Pretty sure he meant there isn't a reason for them to be more susceptible to harm when inflated, other than their larger footprint when aerobraking I'd agree.

Deadly reentry offers support for a handy module called ModuleAnimation2Value, which lets you set properties (including drag, damage tolerance, etc.) depending on a part's animation state. So you could add those to the habs to get the effect you want. The catch, of course, is that the module would have absolutely no effect for anybody without the DRE plugin. :(

Thanks I'm well aware, and the catch is not really much of a catch at all. It's ok for a part to have a module that won't get used; it's there for those who want it and quietly inactive for those who don't. (as is their right)

Pretty sure he meant there isn't a reason for them to be more susceptible to harm when inflated, other than their larger footprint when aerobraking I'd agree.

By no means! I only intended to provide a literal and accurate answer to UniKraken as to whether or not an inflated hab would technically suffer any effects that an inflated hab would not during reentry. It doesn't since it's not currently configured to do so and I'm not sure its inflation currently offers superior aerobraking, though it's possible, if FAR is installed and if any transforms were scaled up during inflation for FAR to work off of.. No position or opinion was intended as to whether an inflated hab should or should not suffer ill effects during reentry.

Though, I am skeptical that such a construction would survive a hypersonic reentry unscathed, inflated or otherwise without some protection.

By no means! I only intended to provide a literal and accurate answer to UniKraken as to whether or not an inflated hab would technically suffer any effects that an inflated hab would not during reentry. It doesn't since it's not currently configured to do so and I'm not sure its inflation currently offers superior aerobraking, though it's possible, if FAR is installed and if any transforms were scaled up during inflation for FAR to work off of.. No position or opinion was intended as to whether an inflated hab should or should not suffer ill effects during reentry.

Ah sorry misunderstood. Not sure FAR realizes the size difference, FAR is bad at picking up animations.

Though, I am skeptical that such a construction would survive a hypersonic reentry unscathed, inflated or otherwise without some protection.

Ah sorry misunderstood. Not sure FAR realizes the size difference, FAR is bad at picking up animations.

Which is why my Jool mission's front looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/7Ow2hG4.jpg

Though perhaps the nose-cone should be a bit larger, can deflate the rotating hab and retract the radiators to aerobrake around Jool in a more realistic manner.

Interesting construction. Simplistic and functional looking.

I just did some tests with the FLAT and FAR. I actually though FAR might pick up on size change based on some things I read about it, but apparently not. (I think I misunderstood what I had read, looking at it now it had to do with attachment nodes and the FLAT doesn't actually have any...)

The aforementioned ModuleAnimation2Value can indeed change that IF it's installed (it's part of the DREC package). I think Firespitter module can too.....?

Edit: And why do your clouds look so much better than mine? Mine look kinda wimpy by comparison... I think I need new cloud textures. Of course, even bad cloud textures are better than none.

Edited by Starwaster

I just downloaded this pack today and it's a godsend. My four year old has been asking me where the Kerbals go to the bathroom. The lack of IVA hasn't given me much to say. Also, It's something for him to look at during the game.

I also wanted to chime in that I am seeing the same bug with the centrifuge module and I wanted to confirm that the FLAT does not have an interior yet. Also, did I miss something or are the interiors of the two inflatables the same? Another thing, it looks like the mod does weird things to Jeb's camera, making it swing around. And one last bug, I noticed in the inflatable hab that there was a marker visible for the debris my ship just left behind through the solid wall. It's cool to slightly see the rings outside of the centrifuge, but a heads up marker like that seems kinda weird. Maybe there isn't much to be done about it and if so, the mod and the interiors are still awesome.

This is not a critique, the mod is awesome, but it does have bugs.

I like the art assets of the KSO, but man, using a pre-assembled ship really defeats the point of KSP IMO.

Everyone has a different playstyle; some like to only build ships, others like only to fly them, still others like to delve into the mathematics of orbital mechanics.

To me, that's what makes KSP such a cool game, how there's something for everyone.

Also, did I miss something or are the interiors of the two inflatables the same?

I don't think so. I've been using the 330 in career mode since I haven't unlocked the 550 yet, and its interior doesn't look a thing like the images in the first post.

I said IMO, for me it's about building and then flying, skipping building and going straight to flying doesn't appeal to me personally.

K3|Chris, I hope you did not think that my reply was being directed towards your comment. You are 100% right as well. The forums are enjoyable when they are a place to ask, learn and show and such. Sometimes they get 'sticky' with too much 'my way or highway' type ideas.

I should have stated 'great thoughts and methods to both or something i guess.... Nothing was meant nor implied.

All for fun and fun for all, as long as the little green vegetable men don't rise against us...

I like the art assets of the KSO, but man, using a pre-assembled ship really defeats the point of KSP IMO.

People want to watch the KSO in action, plus, the cargo hold can only bring around 4 tons to LKO, making the cargo the challenge!

I said IMO, for me it's about building and then flying, skipping building and going straight to flying doesn't appeal to me personally.

True --but if you want, you still get to "build" the shuttle in the VAB... ;)

What would be awesome is if the KSO parts could be combined with other parts for awesome shuttle biplanes and extended cab creations.

Just stumbled across this, they look great. I'll be incorporating the Inflato Storage Container F.L.A.T in my latest attempt at a space station, maybe a couple others.

Crt0lawl.png?1

The stations nothing special, but I really think the Hab Pack parts go well with stock

Edited by Andrew_C
added ipc

First off, LOVE these habs...

2 questions:

has the torroidal base thing always been here?

I installed this mod a month or so ago, and I totally don't have it. Not a big deal, I'll go download it right now

second: is there any easy way to slow down the rotation of the centrifuge?

I realize that it'd have to spin fast in order to simulate gravity, since it's so small, but for aesthetic purposes, and not caring about simulation realism, I'd love it if I could go change something in the config to slow it down.

First off, LOVE these habs...

2 questions:

has the torroidal base thing always been here?

I installed this mod a month or so ago, and I totally don't have it. Not a big deal, I'll go download it right now

second: is there any easy way to slow down the rotation of the centrifuge?

I realize that it'd have to spin fast in order to simulate gravity, since it's so small (Wrong. The rotation speed was lowered as the speed it was spinning at would have been icredibly dangerous to any person or kerbal inside. (Coriolis effect for you. The difference in rotation speeds at heights above the "Floor" would basically force you onto the floor.) The current rotation speed would simulate about ~1/4 G's.), but for aesthetic purposes, and not caring about simulation realism, I'd love it if I could go change something in the config to slow it down.

You are using a VERY old version. The F.L.A.T Hab is in the newest version, and the Certrifuge's rotation speed was lowered several updates ago. Check the Dev thread too, PJ is making some sweet plane parts.

Edited by Deathsoul097

Just one side comment... apparently Kerbals don't get motion sick.

Humans tend to start getting motion sick around 2-6 rpm. That would put a 1g station about 223m radius minimum... The value for a 1/4 g producing radius is much less, but IIRC greater than ten meters.

I used your habitats heavily in the construction of my giant Gateway Station

http://i.imgur.com/5vxgJQy.png

The max crew capacity is 36, but I don't even have that many Kerbals to send to it at the moment!

Oh my, that is one nice station. What mod are those solar panels??

edit: nevermind, i read the near future thread and saw your post.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.