[1.0.x] Habitat Pack v0.41

Porkjet

I know these videos have some of Porkjet's parts in, but shouldn't you be posting them in your own thread and just letting us know it exists, rather than giving daily updates?

Porkjet has given me a rep bump for posting them in this thread, so unless he doesn't want me showcasing his parts in the showcase thread, I think it makes sense. To your point though, I also post them in the KSO thread and the Mission Control sub forum so that people who have never heard of the KSO or Porkjet and his parts can discover them and my channel. Hope you like the videos!

Porkjet has given me a rep bump for posting them in this thread, so unless he doesn't want me showcasing his parts in the showcase thread, I think it makes sense. To your point though, I also post them in the KSO thread and the Mission Control sub forum so that people who have never heard of the KSO or Porkjet and his parts can discover them and my channel. Hope you like the videos!

How long ago? Jesus man, look up. You've completely swamped the thread. Link to the channel and be done with it.

How long ago? Jesus man, look up. You've completely swamped the thread. Link to the channel and be done with it.

The 14th of March, 2014. Literally a week ago. Also, this is not the development thread. This is the release and SHOWCASE thread. There is a development thread for all topics related to that. Post your Porkworks stuff from the hab pack here, or don't because this is cluttering the thread now.

The 14th of March, 2014. Literally a week ago. Also, this is not the development thread. This is the release and SHOWCASE thread. There is a development thread for all topics related to that. Post your Porkworks stuff from the hab pack here, or don't because this is cluttering the thread now.

It's kinda annoying that you post EVERY SINGLE VIDEO that you make, though. If someone watches your videos and likes them, they'd probably subscribe to your youtube channel or at least check it regularly. Posting a few of your videos here is not a problem, but whe you have three of them on a single page, it becomes very annoying VERY quickly.

It's kinda annoying that you post EVERY SINGLE VIDEO that you make, though. If someone watches your videos and likes them, they'd probably subscribe to your youtube channel or at least check it regularly. Posting a few of your videos here is not a problem, but whe you have three of them on a single page, it becomes very annoying VERY quickly.

I do not post every single video that I make. I post the videos that use the Porkjet parts,which I won't be using anymore.

Gregmy Kerman likes his new space station!

http://puu.sh/7G0Zu.png

Actually, this will become an interplanetary ship; the engines and fuel tanks are not attached yet.

What is the two modules above the monoprop? the upper one might be the lab but the first one is unknown to me.

25xW73w.png

I like this design, its an orbital shipyard at Minmus, core below the habiat part is from extraplanetary launchpads and is the construction facility, an kethane and ore miner is docket at the back.

What is the two modules above the monoprop? the upper one might be the lab but the first one is unknown to me.

Yes, the one just below the FLAT hab is the stock science lab. The other module is something I've seen before, but can't nail down where from... I think it's either B9 or LackLuster Labs, but don't quote me on either of those.

Hmm, just tried docking with a flat hab, it's pretty tricky figuring out which docking port of the 3 you have targeted, how I wish KSP had some kind of target indicator, RPM does but that only works as long as the hab is in in view of the camera.

Yes, the one just below the FLAT hab is the stock science lab. The other module is something I've seen before, but can't nail down where from... I think it's either B9 or LackLuster Labs, but don't quote me on either of those.

Yep you're right, one is the science lab, the other is an M2 Cargo Bay from the B9 pack. It mostly contains KAS crates filled with stuff that might come in handy during missions, such as EVA mountable struts and spare solar panels.

Edited by Hurry, Starfish!

Hmm, just tried docking with a flat hab, it's pretty tricky figuring out which docking port of the 3 you have targeted, how I wish KSP had some kind of target indicator, RPM does but that only works as long as the hab is in in view of the camera.

Look at the top of the hab. Starting at the airlock going clockwise: 1st button, 2nd, 3rd.

Except.... I'm not sure that targeting is actually possible in the current FLAT hab release. Control from definitely doesn't work. (though I sent PJ information on how to get it working, hint hint :P)

Edited by Starwaster

Look at the top of the hab. Starting at the airlock going clockwise: 1st button, 2nd, 3rd.

Except.... I'm not sure that targeting is actually possible in the current FLAT hab release. Control from definitely doesn't work. (though I sent PJ information on how to get it working, hint hint :P)

Targeting is possible, but the approach vectors are off - like perpendicular or even inverted. I set up a Minmus orbital station using one as the hub over the weekend.... I hadn't realized just how much I now rely on Navyfish's docking alignment indicator until it was out of commission and I had to eyeball docking again. I pity anyone who relies on MechJeb docking with the FLAT :)

I've added the control nodes like you said starwaster, it seems to work, thanks a lot. I'm also trying to add a retractable ladder but don't seem to get it working in a seperate animation so i will let it deploy with the hab main animation. Seems good enough to me. Wanna get this out before ARM launches since people might wanna add habs to their asteroids.

Also I'm going to rename the mod folder to HabitatPack as that seems more apropriate, the problem is if you update this on old saves it will delete your ships but all you have to do to avoid this is rename the mod folder back to PorkWorks then update to the new name as soon as you start a new save.

Sounds stupid, I know, I know, but I didnt foresee I would create several different mods when I chose the name. I thought I would just throw anything I'd do in the porkworks folder but with all the parts i have now, that would result in a big cluster**** and make things difficult for me.

Targeting is possible, but the approach vectors are off - like perpendicular or even inverted. I set up a Minmus orbital station using one as the hub over the weekend.... I hadn't realized just how much I now rely on Navyfish's docking alignment indicator until it was out of commission and I had to eyeball docking again.

Which does not meet my criteria for 'targeting is possible'. The problem is that the model requires a set of three transforms (in addition to the ones it currently has), one for each of the docking ports that says which way each actually points. Each port actually requires two transforms for proper operation. For a docking port whose front is aligned with the model's forward vector, it is possible to get by with a single transform and the game just uses the part's forward vector. To further elaborate, each port requires a dockingNode and a controlNode. The dockingNode uses its Z axis to define the port's forward vector and the controlNode uses its Y axis to define the port's forward vector. (which is really lame because if you're not aware of it or if you forget for an instance then you can mess up your docking port model. But... that's what we have to work with so C'est la vie)

I pity anyone who relies on MechJeb docking with the FLAT :)

When the above issues are resolved, it works fantastically. A hack job is possible, which is what I did for myself locally but I'm hesitant about releasing it because well... hack job. :(

It would be better if it were integrated into the FLAT model itself, IMO.

Oops didn't see PJ's post! That'll be great!

The following was docked with MJ2 alone. Point, click and dock.

NGkuHJUl.png

Edited by Starwaster

I've added the control nodes like you said starwaster, it seems to work, thanks a lot. I'm also trying to add a retractable ladder but don't seem to get it working in a seperate animation so i will let it deploy with the hab main animation. Seems good enough to me. Wanna get this out before ARM launches since people might wanna add habs to their asteroids.

Also I'm going to rename the mod folder to HabitatPack as that seems more apropriate, the problem is if you update this on old saves it will delete your ships but all you have to do to avoid this is rename the mod folder back to PorkWorks then update to the new name as soon as you start a new save.

Sounds stupid, I know, I know, but I didnt foresee I would create several different mods when I chose the name. I thought I would just throw anything I'd do in the porkworks folder but with all the parts i have now, that would result in a big cluster**** and make things difficult for me.

That sounds good enough; a ladder will be fan-freaking-tastic!!!!!!

IMO flat hab needs somekind of special landing gear. Stock ones are either to big, or too weak. Placing it on ground directly makes base wobbly, as the module tends to slide around easily, e.g. from Kerbal's push.

Just had a big headache when assembling my base, caused by this problem.

I wonder why noone just puts the thing flat on the ground without any landing gear.

If you can't do without it, turning off the suspension helps with stability.

I'm thinking about adding a simple mount part for it.

I wonder why noone just puts the thing flat on the ground without any landing gear.

If you can't do without it, turning off the suspension helps with stability.

I'm thinking about adding a simple mount part for it.

Well, sashan at the top of this page said that it would slide around if he bumped a kerbal into it. I haven't actually tried using the FLAT for a surface base yet, so I can't say anything about it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.