[1.0.x] Habitat Pack v0.41

Porkjet

Just now, Kerbart said:

I don't think it's overly pessimistic to not expect Porkjet to finish the successor of this mod, but @Tokamak is doing wonderful work with the existing parts.

I do hope that if Porkjet does abandon this mod, that he makes the unfinished revamp parts open source, so that someone can get those finished on his behalf.

• 3 weeks later...

I made up some patches that update the mod to 1.2.1, and did some light balance work. It's no where near as cool as the work Tokamak's been doing, but it's something.:wink:

Unlike Tokamak's version, this doesn't require USI to work. It's works the same as the original does. However, because of that, if Habitat.dll breaks, I can't fix it (it works currently).

Requires Module Manager to work, and the base mod. Extract somewhere into GameData.

As always, feedback is welcomed.

Cheers.

Note: Patches share a repo with AtomicAge patches; you can delete that folder if you want.

Repo here

Direct download of v0.1 here

13 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

I made up some patches that update the mod to 1.2.1, and did some light balance work. It's no where near as cool as the work Tokamak's been doing, but it's something.:wink:

Unlike Tokamak's version, this doesn't require USI to work. It's works the same as the original does. However, because of that, if Habitat.dll breaks, I can't fix it (it works currently).

(...)

Hello @Deimos Rast, let me start by saying that anyone who puts in work to keep this mod alive is highly, highly appreciated, not just by me but by a large part of the KSP community, I'm sure! So thank you, thank you very much!

As someone who's using Tokamak's version right now I'm a bit puzzled by your statment regarding the USI requirement. To the best of my knowledge the Tokamak pack works fine without USI. There's a USI folder included to support it, but it doesn't require it. Does it?

That doesn't take away any of the work that you did, especially since it's providing parts not supported (yet?) by @Tokamak like the sphere pod. How does the centrifuge animation go, by the way? Is it stoppable or is that an issue that's more related to the animation module and thus unfixable?

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

Hello @Deimos Rast, let me start by saying that anyone who puts in work to keep this mod alive is highly, highly appreciated, not just by me but by a large part of the KSP community, I'm sure! So thank you, thank you very much!

As someone who's using Tokamak's version right now I'm a bit puzzled by your statment regarding the USI requirement. To the best of my knowledge the Tokamak pack works fine without USI. There's a USI folder included to support it, but it doesn't require it. Does it?

That doesn't take away any of the work that you did, especially since it's providing parts not supported (yet?) by @Tokamak like the sphere pod. How does the centrifuge animation go, by the way? Is it stoppable or is that an issue that's more related to the animation module and thus unfixable?

'cuz this replaces habrestrictor and animategeneric/layeranimator. Also, checking his repo, the orb is there, but wasn't in my copy I guess. The centrifuge....I forgot to test actually.:blush: Sorry for short reply (have migraine:(). Questions?

// Needs USI-Tools to inflate
	MODULE
	{
		name = USIAnimation
		deployAnimationName = InflatoFlatInflate
		inflatable = true
		CrewCapacity = 4
	}

19 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

'cuz this replaces habrestrictor and animategeneric/layeranimator. Also, checking his repo, the orb is there, but wasn't in my copy I guess. The centrifuge....I forgot to test actually.:blush: Sorry for short reply (have migraine:(). Questions?

// Needs USI-Tools to inflate
	MODULE
	{
		name = USIAnimation
		deployAnimationName = InflatoFlatInflate
		inflatable = true
		CrewCapacity = 4
	}

Get that migraine fixed first!

ok, actually, the USI-tools needed are included with Tokamak's pack. Those are just the tools; they don't activate the nefarious life support itself. Still a version with less clutter is always appreciated.

Don't fret the "stop rotating" animation too much. I don't think anyone ever solved it (I think it was something inherited from the way Unity did continuous animations)

10 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Get that migraine fixed first!

ok, actually, the USI-tools needed are included with Tokamak's pack. Those are just the tools; they don't activate the nefarious life support itself. Still a version with less clutter is always appreciated.

Don't fret the "stop rotating" animation too much. I don't think anyone ever solved it (I think it was something inherited from the way Unity did continuous animations)

thanks; problem with migraines is the meds often do a number on you as well. Oh well.

Honestly, I think people are better off using Tokamak's pack, as it has an active developer who can actually 3D model, and has DLL's that will likely stay current. I just happened to forget about it, and coincidentally, I don't use USI mods at the moment (didn't know it was included though). Still, I already had it done, so figured I'd release it into the wild. I posted about my work, with suggestions, over in his thread - he's free to use whatever he wants from my work, no questions asked or credit necessary.

Animation: I think firespitter has similar issues, but I think LGG submitted code to get that fixed, maybe. Could try converting it over to that, but then that trades one devil for another (so to speak).

Yeah, I'm not going to fret the animations, since literally all I can do is move my Kerbals out of the way of the spinning bits.:D

57 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

Yeah, I'm not going to fret the animations, since literally all I can do is move my Kerbals out of the way of the spinning bits.:D

Moving them out of harms way? Now why would you do that?! :D

@Tokamak

Why replace the HabRestrictor at all? It was already prepackaged as part of the original download to begin with and requiring USI means an unnecessary dependency that not everyone uses.

HabRestrictor is very unlikely to break from a KSP update. For it to do so, the current system used by KSP would have to change where either CrewCapacity were no longer a recognized field or ... actually I'm not even sure what the other part of that is except that it would have to change pretty drastically. Even if not recompiled for KSP 1.2.*, the currently packaged HabRestrictor plugin still does what it needs to: Checks to see if the inflation animation has played and then changes CrewCapacity as desired. And then KSP does the rest. I'm using it right now and I haven't seen any issues with it.

2 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@Tokamak

Why replace the HabRestrictor at all? It was already prepackaged as part of the original download to begin with and requiring USI means an unnecessary dependency that not everyone uses.

HabRestrictor is very unlikely to break from a KSP update. For it to do so, the current system used by KSP would have to change where either CrewCapacity were no longer a recognized field or ... actually I'm not even sure what the other part of that is except that it would have to change pretty drastically. Even if not recompiled for KSP 1.2.*, the currently packaged HabRestrictor plugin still does what it needs to: Checks to see if the inflation animation has played and then changes CrewCapacity as desired. And then KSP does the rest. I'm using it right now and I haven't seen any issues with it.

In his defense, he also adds in a bunch of USI mks & ls modules, so it's clear he wants to take it in a certain direction, and the usianimation makes sense. But I am of the same opinion as you, hence my update.

@Kerbart

Just checked the Centrifuge: the answer is not really. In the editor you have the option to set a hotkey to toggle Deployment (it's expansion) and you can freely expand and retract it, but once it starts spinning...it don't stop. When you get to space, you suddenly have the option to set a hotkey to toggle Rotation (if you're using AGExt, you can set hotkeys in flight), which only allows you to change direction of the rotation, not stop it, which is all, I think, you could ever do.

I don't think that I created those Toggles, but I went out of my way to give them names in my patch.

That's really all I think one can do without tearing into the model itself.

EDIT: I'll add a bug here: in the VAB it spins much faster than in space. But if you Launch while it spins in the VAB, it stays spinning at that faster speed. I was under the impression that it stopped spinning on Launch, but I just tested it, and nope.

Edited by Deimos Rast

2 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

@Kerbart

Just checked the Centrifuge: the answer is not really. In the editor you have the option to set a hotkey to toggle Deployment (it's expansion) and you can freely expand and retract it, but once it starts spinning...it don't stop. When you get to space, you suddenly have the option to set a hotkey to toggle Rotation (if you're using AGExt, you can set hotkeys in flight), which only allows you to change direction of the rotation, not stop it, which is all, I think, you could ever do.

I don't think that I created those Toggles, but I went out of my way to give them names in my patch.

That's really all I think one can do without tearing into the model itself.

EDIT: I'll add a bug here: in the VAB it spins much faster than in space. But if you Launch while it spins in the VAB, it stays spinning at that faster speed. I was under the impression that it stopped spinning on Launch, but I just tested it, and nope.

The looping issue has been an issue since the centrifuge debuted. It's a Unity issue and that's just how looping animations work. You could probably halt the looping by giving the centrifuge a new animation with the same layer as the rotation animation. That might result in an unrealistic halting though... it might snap to its default position instead of just halting. Again, this is a hypothetical. It should work but I don't know for sure. (SHOULD seeing as how if inflation/rotation share the same layer then inflating halts the rotation)

There is another way that would probably work and it would require a plugin to halt the animation. From a practicality standpoint it should be a PartModule with a GUI for the player to 'apply the brakes'. Functionally it would change the rotation wrap mode from looping to Once. (WrapMode.Once). I think that would result in something more natural looking. The centrifuge should continue rotating until it reaches the end of its rotation and then it would halt. The same plugin would also then need a GUI option to resume rotation. (change to WrapMode.Loop)

Rotating in the VAB faster is a stock issue with all animations. Whether it's unintentional or by design, it plays the animations much faster in the VAB.

15 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

The looping issue has been an issue since the centrifuge debuted. It's a Unity issue and that's just how looping animations work. You could probably halt the looping by giving the centrifuge a new animation with the same layer as the rotation animation. That might result in an unrealistic halting though... it might snap to its default position instead of just halting. Again, this is a hypothetical. It should work but I don't know for sure. (SHOULD seeing as how if inflation/rotation share the same layer then inflating halts the rotation)

I'm considering a script that just edits the save file. It's not like I'm starting/stopping my centrifuges all the time (unless you have a counter-rotating one it would induce a lot of torque on the rest of the craft/station after all) so for those rare cases I could just exit the game, fix the save file, and restart.

Why don't I have transfer crew options when right clicking on the parts from this mod? I moved a Kerbal into an inflatable part on my station. Due to the station design, the hatch is blocked and she can't go out, but when right clicking I can't transfer her to another part with a door, effectively making her and anyone else entering this part trapped in it.

3 hours ago, ROXunreal said:

Why don't I have transfer crew options when right clicking on the parts from this mod? I moved a Kerbal into an inflatable part on my station. Due to the station design, the hatch is blocked and she can't go out, but when right clicking I can't transfer her to another part with a door, effectively making her and anyone else entering this part trapped in it.

I noticed that these parts, when inflated, lose pretty much every option in the right click menu. I was still able to transfer crew by clicking on the hatch though. 

On 11/7/2016 at 4:13 PM, Deimos Rast said:

The centrifuge....I forgot to test actually.

Unfortunately the centrifuge is causing my copy of KSP to crash to desktop. Everything works "normally" in the VAB (well, I get the usual issues of a fast-spinning centrifuge that can't be stopped) but KSP crashes upon either launching or reverting the flight (I only tested a couple of times before I decided to avoid the part altogether). I am on a Mac if that makes a difference.

@ROXunreal@PocketBrotector

Well, it looks like ROXunreal is correct, in that the part doesn't have a "Transfer Crew" button in the right click menu, but as you can see in the screenshot, it has one on the hatch.

You can also see in the screenshot, the right click menu of the deployed centrifuge, spinning majestically through the void of space. Sheer poetry.

More to the point, @PocketBrotector can you provide a log? I've only tested on windows.

When does it crash? Is it related to deploying the centrifuge (if so, it might be deployableHabRestrictor related). I reverted the flight below, and it worked as well.

Also, judging by your signature, PocketBrotector, you're a fan of USI mods. Are you familiar with @Tokamak's version of HabitatPack? It uses USI modules, so in the off case my version is FUBAR for you, you could try his (although it's 1.1.3 last I checked). Converting between the two will break saves however, if you go that route (different internal part names). Just a thought.

YwOu6nvg.jpg?1

@ROXunreal@PocketBrotector@Deimos Rast

Ever since Squad added a menu for transferring crew it has always worked by clicking on the hatch. Never by right clicking the part. There was a mod that provided similar functionality before then and that might by why you're thinking right click was supposed to do something.

Re: The centrifuge. I had thought that @Tokamak's refurbished parts had a fixed centrifuge but apparently he's not including the centrifuge in the download so maybe it never got fixed. In any case, the centrifuge in this pack has serious mesh issues and can either crash your game or cause serious physics issues if you are able to load a centrifuge equipped craft.

It should not be used at all. Nothing at all to do with the hab crew restrictor. The model itself is broken at the mesh level and it needs to be fixed in a modeling program and and reimported via Unity editor. There are some workarounds that I was able to do that got it functioning in the past (KSP 1.1.*) but I don't believe that to be a reliable fix and it would likely still have issues.

@Starwaster

I'll have to take your word for it regarding the centrifuge, because it functions fine for me. I threw it in space, deployed it, spun it and EVA'd Jeb and hyperedited him 1000km away and switched back and forth between the two half a dozen times with no issues at all. I even ran Jeb through the spokes of it for funsies (turned out poorly).

I guess I'll put in a part disabler patch, with the explanation that mean ol' Mr. Starwaster doesn't want people to have fun spinning in a circle in space.:sticktongue:

But seriously, I'll make a patch; CTD's are bad news, and I'd rather not be the cause of any. And in this instance, I'm inclined to trust your experience and expertise more than my own.:)

53 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Ever since Squad added a menu for transferring crew it has always worked by clicking on the hatch. Never by right clicking the part. There was a mod that provided similar functionality before then and that might by why you're thinking right click was supposed to do something.

Maybe it's supported through the extended gizmos (whatever they're called but I'm sure you know what I mean)? I'm transferring crews with right-clicking on crew-containing parts all the time. I love that option as the hatch doesn't always work (for instance with the Orb). I don't have any mods installed that would add that functionality. Unless it's a MM/KER thing but I doubt that.

6 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@ROXunreal@PocketBrotector@Deimos Rast

I believe it's actually the opposite - once upon a time we could only transfer crew by clicking the hatch, but at some point Squad decided to take pity on folks who wanted to add hatchless crewable parts, so they added a Transfer Crew button to the right-click menu. Eventually they made use of the feature themselves with the Mk1 Crew Cabin - the only hatches for that part are covered when the top and bottom nodes are attached to anything, which would trap crew in that part completely under the old system (hatches would be both blocked and covered, preventing EVA or transfer respectively.)

6 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Re: The centrifuge. I had thought that @Tokamak's refurbished parts had a fixed centrifuge but apparently he's not including the centrifuge in the download so maybe it never got fixed. In any case, the centrifuge in this pack has serious mesh issues and can either crash your game or cause serious physics issues if you are able to load a centrifuge equipped craft.

It should not be used at all. Nothing at all to do with the hab crew restrictor. The model itself is broken at the mesh level and it needs to be fixed in a modeling program and and reimported via Unity editor. There are some workarounds that I was able to do that got it functioning in the past (KSP 1.1.*) but I don't believe that to be a reliable fix and it would likely still have issues.

That must be it then. I'm basically ignorant of the modeling side of things in KSP, so while I had heard about centrifuge mesh issues I hadn't realized it would cause the whole program to blow up. 

From what I could tell in Tokamak's thread, he never got the centrifuge working either as he couldn't modify the relevant files (though he was considering making his own from scratch). I don't mind having USI tools as a  dependency since I'm already using USI mods anyway... but since Tokamak appeared to be bundling rescued parts from several mods all together, I figured the  patches by @Deimos Rast would be more focused (particularly since I was using his updates for Atomic Age and several other mods already).

Also I was probably mistaken about missing items from the right-click menu on inflated parts. I think I must have actually been losing control of my vehicle completely because I was transferring crew out of the orb and into inflatables, and the latter lacks ModuleCommand...

Edit: I see now that there was much discussion of the broken drag cubes during the six months that I was away from KSP... shame on me for not catching up on the thread when I came back.

Edited by PocketBrotector

5 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

@Starwaster

I'll have to take your word for it regarding the centrifuge, because it functions fine for me. I threw it in space, deployed it, spun it and EVA'd Jeb and hyperedited him 1000km away and switched back and forth between the two half a dozen times with no issues at all. I even ran Jeb through the spokes of it for funsies (turned out poorly).

I guess I'll put in a part disabler patch, with the explanation that mean ol' Mr. Starwaster doesn't want people to have fun spinning in a circle in space.:sticktongue:

But seriously, I'll make a patch; CTD's are bad news, and I'd rather not be the cause of any. And in this instance, I'm inclined to trust your experience and expertise more than my own.:)

Have you tried launching it with fairings over it? :confused:

Edit: Also, are you using any of the centrifuge patches that I tried to fix it with back in KSP 1.1.3?

Edited by Starwaster

12 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Have you tried launching it with fairings over it? :confused:

Edit: Also, are you using any of the centrifuge patches that I tried to fix it with back in KSP 1.1.3?

nope and nope. I just downloaded the pack and applied my patches.

I'll have to try the fairing test though. Might have to make a video of it.

56 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

nope and nope. I just downloaded the pack and applied my patches.

I'll have to try the fairing test though. Might have to make a video of it.

When you load the centrifuge in the VAB, do you NOT get an orange error message in the upper right corner? And spam of said error in the console? (convex hull has a polygon with less than 3 vertices)

Just tried launching one. Launched ok even with the fairings... but it still has the bounding box issue that I reported here: 

And saving then loading the craft causes crashes :(

Edited by Starwaster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.