Blocking the door

steelgrey

Oh how I wish it would not allow you to place objects that block access to the pod door. I just flew for the first time all the way to Minmus, was so pleased I did it. Landed beautifully, couldn't get out because the aerial was blocking the door. Oh I was upset I can tell you!

Bottom line is it was my stupid fault with the build, but I do wish some kind of alert text would let you know your blocking the door when building.

In a perfect world we wouldn't be able to block hatches, though we do have whack a kerbal (alt+F12), we can knock those pesky misplaced parts off our craft if we're careful ;)

I'd never thought of using whack a kerbal for surgical part removal. Could be messy!

More misery. I fixed the build and took the aerial off, then proceeded to fly to Minmus again. I did an EVA report while leaving Kerbin and then flew with no issues to Minmus. I got into orbit and decided to do another EVA, but I can't click on Jebediah anymore in the bottom right corner. If I click on the command pod there is no option to do a crew report either. He is in the pod I presume as his picture is in the lower right as I said, and a quick look at the map reveals he's not floating in space somewhere. Any ideas anybody?

Thanks for the advice, it has to be something I did wrong, although I asked because I was curious if it was a bug.

Anyway I decided to redesign the ship I went to Minmus in as my staging was catastrophic and it was a miracle I made it to orbit let alone Minmus.

When I get back there I'll make doubly sure to turn off any time warp. Would be good if you were asked if you wanted to deactivate time warp if you clicked on the pilots portrait, be helpful for people like me who are new to the game.

Good suggestions from a new player, many nuances I recall experiencing when I was still quite new. Hopefully they can do a user-friendliness pass over the game sooner then later. Just a -little- love, to help keep public interest. I'm afraid all the public awareness of KSP now can be a double edged sword. In a world that moves so fast, many people may have heard of KSP, tried it, and been quickly discouraged. They will move on to other games, and many will never think twice about KSP. I know its in the best interest of the dev cycle to do these kinds of things (user-friendliness/UI/tutorial) later in the dev cycle. Due to the public awareness of KSP I think that priority should be re-evaluated though.

We've already got a Kerbal named "Gus." Not to sound insensitive, but perhaps we need a "tweakable" on the crew hatch to "Blow the door!" Yeah, you risk the command pod flooding and sinking if you do it in water, but for the rest of us, it'd help fix design issues like this. :D

I do more than that. I frequently make my ship in a Sandbox Mode save and use HyperEdit to put my lander on the surface of my destination and make sure it can get home (or to orbit if I'm using a command module). Then I put the lander in orbit to make sure I can land with enough fuel to do the liftoff I got before.

Then I build a delivery stage and put it in LKO to make sure it can get to its destination.

Then and only then do I choose or build a lifter stage to get that into orbit, and then and only then do I copy the ship back to my career mode to use it.

So when I land and realize I don't have solar panels I'm EXTRA angry.

We've already got a Kerbal named "Gus." Not to sound insensitive, but perhaps we need a "tweakable" on the crew hatch to "Blow the door!" Yeah, you risk the command pod flooding and sinking if you do it in water, but for the rest of us, it'd help fix design issues like this. :D

That's actually a good idea.

LIES! All lies! Poor ol' Grissom did nothing, the hatch blew up magically by itself! :P

...but I can't click on Jebediah anymore in the bottom right corner. If I click on the command pod there is no option to do a crew report either.

I had this happen last night, couldn't decouple or fire the chutes either, had to reload to fix it.

LIES! All lies! Poor ol' Grissom did nothing, the hatch blew up magically by itself! :P

Heh. I'm glad someone got the reference.

(And having watched some heated usenet debates many years ago on sci.space.history I am very well aware of the hatch controversy :D )

It would be cool to have a "Blow the Hatch" command or something though. You would lose any parts that stuck out over the hatch frame, and maybe there would be a penalty - you'd lose half the experiments your command pod carries and maybe it cuts the torque and power supply in half too or something to simulate degraded capability, but at least your poor Kerbal could exit the pod and maybe even get home again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.