Open Resource System (ORS) - Mod Resource API - version 1.4.2

Fractal_UK

I havnt installed ors yet as im trying to work out if this has finite deposits so that some places will have resources and so e places wont. Or is it more like there are resources everywhere but in different concentrations? In either case, how do i find the deposits/concentrations? If i dont want to use scansat, how do i find what im looking for? Thx.

I havnt installed ors yet as im trying to work out if this has finite deposits so that some places will have resources and so e places wont. Or is it more like there are resources everywhere but in different concentrations? In either case, how do i find the deposits/concentrations? If i dont want to use scansat, how do i find what im looking for? Thx.

Concentration of the resource varies from place to place and affects the speed of extraction. If I remember the maps for Interstellar's resources correctly, you don't generally get a hard zero if you're on a planet that has the resource at all, but you may get not enough to bother with.

For detection, Interstellar's gamma-ray spectrometer can show you uranium and thorium hot spots from orbit. For other resources, any mining part that can mine it will show you the concentration in its right-click menu when you're landed, but you may need to hack .cfgs to make a scanner if you want to see it from orbit without SCANSat.

I'm confused as to what I need to install - one or both? The original directory only has one - or is your patched DLL separate from the original DLL?

You don't need anything from this thread unless you intend to create your own ORS-dependent mod. Everything that you need will be distributed with mods using ORS.

You don't need anything from this thread unless you intend to create your own ORS-dependent mod. Everything that you need will be distributed with mods using ORS.

Well, thing is I didn't see whether the KSPI version that Wavefuntion is making available had ORS updated so I figured I'd just take care of that myself. But if it's more appropriate I'll ask over there

KSPI version is updated, and if you use both Karbonite and KSPI, you should use the KSPI ORS dll.

This is getting very confusing. USI-Kolonization-Systems/MKS states: "YOU MUST DELETE YOUR OpenResourceSystem folder before installing." The same goes for Interstellar experimental I found out (I posted that there.)

I'm using Interstellar experimental v0.11, MKS 0.18.8 and I want to install Karbonite. How do I merge the ORS versions?

This is getting very confusing. USI-Kolonization-Systems/MKS states: "YOU MUST DELETE YOUR OpenResourceSystem folder before installing." The same goes for Interstellar experimental I found out (I posted that there.)

I'm using Interstellar experimental v0.11, MKS 0.18.8 and I want to install Karbonite. How do I merge the ORS versions?

Use the KSP-I experimental one. I'll be moving over to that one until such time as Fractal gets the mainline ORS working.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I forgot to add that I want to upgrade to the latest MKS as well. I assume I'll still use the KSP-I experimental ORS.

I'm also using a modified KESA to change LqdWater into Water, will that conflict?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I forgot to add that I want to upgrade to the latest MKS as well. I assume I'll still use the KSP-I experimental ORS.

I'm also using a modified KESA to change LqdWater into Water, will that conflict?

erm... no idea on the last point :) Let us know

• 2 weeks later...
erm... no idea on the last point :) Let us know

I haven't really gotten around using KSPI water. Just once I used the Life Support water as fuel in an emergency and that worked fine. So there don't seem to be any conflicts.

Is there a specific reason that KSPI uses LqdWater instead of water?

I haven't really gotten around using KSPI water. Just once I used the Life Support water as fuel in an emergency and that worked fine. So there don't seem to be any conflicts.

Is there a specific reason that KSPI uses LqdWater instead of water?

No idea. But it drives me nuts.

No idea. But it drives me nuts.

Probably because Open Resource System lets you distinguish between different "minable" resources that produce the same on-ship resource. So in ORS underground water ≠ ice ≠ seawater ≠ atmospheric water vapor. I imagine keeping track of your state of matter becomes important then.

Edited by Starstrider42

Probably because Open Resource System lets you distinguish between different "minable" resources that produce the same on-ship resource. So in ORS underground water ≠ ice ≠ seawater ≠ atmospheric water vapor. I imagine keeping track of your state of matter becomes important then.

Which becomes even more entertaining (in the Kerbal sense of the word) when you consider what would happen to someone trying to breath liquid oxygen without warming it up a little first :)

I can change this, assuming there are no other conflicts.

How many types of water are out there?

Just two.

KSPI currently defines Water (ORS Key) -> LqdWater.

Everyone else uses Water as the resource. What would be nice (and consistent) is Water (ORS Key) == Water (Resource), then I can deprecate Aquifer (ORS Key) -> Water (Resource) and that's one more common point, and one less set of maps (as the Aquifer/Water combo is part of CRP).

Just two.

KSPI currently defines Water (ORS Key) -> LqdWater.

Everyone else uses Water as the resource. What would be nice (and consistent) is Water (ORS Key) == Water (Resource), then I can deprecate Aquifer (ORS Key) -> Water (Resource) and that's one more common point, and one less set of maps (as the Aquifer/Water combo is part of CRP).

That sounds fine. Make a pull request whenever you want to do it.

That sounds fine. Make a pull request whenever you want to do it.

Sure, will do it once I'm back at my dev box. My thought is to send this one along with the removal of the default atmo/oceanic resources. That buys time for it to go with your release. After that, I plan to start a new repo with ORS only, and redo the generators, extend to more part modules, etc. as a stand-alone project without the direct tie to KSP-I as it is now, but bundle in the CRP stuff as an optional pack.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.