[1.2] TweakableEverything 1.16-beta - For all your part tweaking needs

toadicus

Correct; so for example once you research the HECS core, you can upgrade the OKTO core to Level 1. The only core not helped by this is the Stayputnik, because it completely lacks a ModuleSAS to upgrade, solidifying our longstanding suspicions that it sucks and is useless.

damn it stayputnik was the one I was hoping to upgrade because for how much it sucks it was truly the handsomest of the probe cores :( (not a hard title to land as its a smexy soviet sphere while its competition is ugly foil covered boxes that with the exception of the last two don't fit with the round rocket parts)

If you want to upgrade Stayputnik, add this MM patch someplace:

@PART[probeCoreSphere]:BEFORE[TweakableEverything]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleSAS
SASServiceLevel = 0
}
}

This will give it a "level 0" ("stability assist" only) autopilot, but no reaction wheel (so you still can't actually use it as an autopilot without extra parts). Then when you develop better autopilots you can produce superior Stayputnik parts -- still provided you put reaction wheels on it.

I'll think about "right ways" to make it more upgradeable within the flow of the game.

This will give it a "level 0" ("stability assist" only) autopilot, but no reaction wheel (so you still can't actually use it as an autopilot without extra parts). Then when you develop better autopilots you can produce superior Stayputnik parts -- still provided you put reaction wheels on it.

I'll think about "right ways" to make it more upgradeable within the flow of the game.

Is it not possible to make unlocking the Advanced Flight Control node cause the Stayputnik to upgrade with a tweakable capacity for SAS?

Example: You unlock Flight Control and get the Stayputnik. It has no SAS and cannot be given SAS. Then you unlock Advanced Flight Control. Now the Stayputnik has no SAS by default, but you can choose to add SAS to it through tweakables, which increases its cost. And then you can select SAS level if you have decided your Stayputnik shall have SAS.

Is it not possible to make unlocking the Advanced Flight Control node cause the Stayputnik to upgrade with a tweakable capacity for SAS?

Example: You unlock Flight Control and get the Stayputnik. It has no SAS and cannot be given SAS. Then you unlock Advanced Flight Control. Now the Stayputnik has no SAS by default, but you can choose to add SAS to it through tweakables, which increases its cost. And then you can select SAS level if you have decided your Stayputnik shall have SAS.

Yes, that is technically feasible and is what's being discussed. For example, I do something very similar with TweakableEVA. I just need to get it coded in a way that stays consistent across different tech trees (so instead of detecting Advanced Flight Control, it needs to detect that you have researched any part with ModuleSAS, whether that's in Advanced Flight Control or Custom Banana Technology), and that properly does not add the module to parts already in flight (since the "easy" way to do this is by adding to the prefab, I'm pretty sure it would get added to all the parts everywhere, which is not consistent behavior; this is the tricky part).

First off, I want to thank you tremendously for creating and maintaining your mod. I absolutely love it and I can't play KSP without it! :)

However, looks like RCS enable/disable doesn't work anymore in 0.90, even with TE 1.7. The enable/disable button in the editor doesn't do anything, once launched the RCS will fire anyway. Also, it seems the Toggle RCS Thrust option is not in action groups no more.

Edit: I played some more around with it, and it seems that the Toggle RCS Thrust action is actually there, but disappears completely from the action group menu when disabling the RCS port on the part in the editor, which means you cannot disable, say, upper stage RCS ports in the editor and toggle them later with action groups. It appears again when enabling the RCS port and clicking it to let the GUI update. I tried with TweakableEverything 1.5 in KSP 0.90 and the same behavior there. I think Squad changed how you're interfacing with the game in 0.90.

Edit 2: I read through the thread and saw I had missed some follow-ups you had made to my questions earlier. :)

Alright man, I finally got a test install set up, and I couldn't duplicate it. The steps I took were:

1. Install some mods. Specifically:
    [ModuleManager] compiling list of loaded mods...
    Mod DLLs found:
    Assembly-CSharp v1.0.0.0
    ModuleManager.2.2.1 v2.2.1.0
    aaa_Toolbar v1.0.0.0
    AdaptiveDockingNode v1.5.5346.37460
    ToadicusTools v0.0.0.0
    AntennaRange v1.4.1.37459
    NSScientific v0.1.5347.36987
    KSPAPIExtensions v1.7.0.0
    ProceduralFairings v0.0.0.0
    QuantumStrutsContinued v1.1.5346.37460
    ModuleDB v1.0.5346.37461
    TweakableAnimateGeneric v1.2.5341.14808
    TweakableDecouplers v1.4.5341.14805
    TweakableDockingNode v1.1.5341.14805
    TweakableEVA v1.4.5341.14810
    TweakableEngineFairings v1.0.5341.14809
    TweakableGimbals v1.3.5341.14807
    TweakableIntakes v1.4.5341.14811
    TweakableLadders v1.2.5341.14807
    TweakableRCS v1.3.5341.14808
    TweakableReactionWheels v1.2.5341.14806
    TweakableSolarPanels v1.2.5341.14806
    TweakableStaging v1.4.5341.14804
    VesselSimulator v0.0.0.0
    VOID v0.14.1.36123
    Non-DLL mods added:
    NidaSampi
    TweakableEverything
    Mods by directory (subdirs of GameData):
    000_Toolbar
    KWRocketry
    NASAmission
    Squad

2. Build a little orbit tender, bottom up, with a Vesta on the bottom, and save it as a subassembly:
    http://toad.homelinux.net/pics/KSP/vesta_tender.png
  3. Chop the head off a Kerbal X and put a PFairings base on it:
    http://toad.homelinux.net/pics/KSP/vesta_launcher_x.png
  4. Install the tender:
    http://toad.homelinux.net/pics/KSP/vesta_installed.png

Neither smoke nor flame happened. I tried with fairing sides on and off, with the engine fairing enabled and disabled, all without Exceptional effects. I had the latest PFairings and KWRocketry as of 8/23.

So! If you are still having the issue, can duplicate it, and give me steps to duplicate and/or a log, I'll see what I can do. :)

I checked again (in KSP 0.90 and TE 1.7) and the problem is still there. Recipe:

1. Make a CSM-style craft with a capsule, fuel tank, and Vesta VR-1.

2. Put a dummy part (anything) below the Vesta VR-1 and make it root, so that you may drag the rest of the ship into sub-assemblies.

3. Create a new craft, add a fuel tank, and an interstage fairing adapter from e-dog's ProcFairings mod on top of it.

4. Add some side fairings.

5. Put anything inside the fairings, i.e. directly on top of the interstage fairing adapter.

6. Open sub-assemblies and put the previously saved CSM-style craft with the Vesta VR-1 with the bottom of the bell on top of the fairings.

7. Save the craft and load it again, the engine will bug out.

I'm unfamiliar with this behavior. What causes antenna to do this? Mine never retract after transmitting...

If you have RemoteTech2, it stops the antenna from retracting after science transmit.

Edited by LostOblivion

Hey LostOblivion, sorry it took me a couple days to get here. Thanks for the detailed reports; I'll look in to them as soon as I can. :)

EDIT:

If you're feeling daring, give this DLL a shot. Looks like Squad is using a different field to describe the thruster's enabled state now, but didn't remove the old one so everything still compiled. ;) This just accesses the new field and compiles -- I haven't so much as loaded the game to test it yet.

I'm not sure what's up with the action group thing... I provide the action group items; if they're being removed then Squad must be doing that somehow. I'll try to figure it out.

EDIT TWO -- THE RE-EDITENING:

It occurs to me that my previous use of "isEnabled" -- a PartModule-level property that used to control the functionality of the RCS thrusters -- may actually have been disabling the module completely and thus removing it from the action group list. Perhaps this is a part of why Squad added rcsEnabled to ModuleRCS, allowing two different levels of functionality within the module. If so, then TE switcing to rcsEnabled may solve both problems.

Edited by toadicus
Added dev link and brief update. Then thought out loud.

1.7 update brought back the constantly activating decouplers for me. Removed Tweakscale again, still happening. I've had to drop TweakableEverything for now. Lucky I was just starting a new game, so I don't have a bunch of tweaked craft in flight.

I've just tried out the new TweakableParachutes module, and it works great! It might be nice to be able to take parachutes (i.e. my emergency chutes) out of the staging sequence, but upon further reflection, I've figured that it may be better practice to put them in the very final stage after the main chutes, just in case the crew finds that they're not quite slow enough on landing and need some more deceleration in a hurry.

I seem to be having the same problem as politas. Here's my output. Look for line 126735 where I add KW1mDecoupler

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5_EjyUhPhR9Um5VWUZQMFg0bTA/view?usp=sharing

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so... It seems CKAN wasn't getting proper versions of both TweakableEverything and ToadicusTools. I downloaded the TweakableEverything archive from KerbalStuff and overwrote what I had and things are working now.

OK, that makes sense. I don't currently have a way to tell CKAN that ToadicusTools has been updated and needs to be redownloaded. I should have some time today to work up a new upload script for it.

For now, if you're using CKAN and are having Exceptional Problems, manually reinstall ToadicusTools from one of my packages or via CKAN.

EDIT:

I've revised my deployment script for ToadicusTools and it's now syndicating automatically via KerbalStuff. CKAN should properly require updates. :)

Edited by toadicus

I updated AntennaRange and it's breaking the TT bit of TweakableEverything. I thought it was a Tweakscale bug, but after removing that, the problem still occured. What is the problem? As soon as I switch to an orbiting craft, the camera zooms away and after a couple of seconds, I see my ship explode in the distance.

This is the NRE that fire just after vessel loading:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ToadicusTools.Tools.getFirstModuleOfType[ModuleSAS] (.Part part) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ToadicusTools.Tools.tryGetFirstModuleOfType[ModuleSAS] (.Part part, .ModuleSAS& module) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TweakableEverything.ModuleTweakableSAS.OnAwake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartModule.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.GameObject:SetActive(Boolean)
ProtoPartSnapshot:Load(Vessel, Boolean)
ProtoVessel:LoadObjects()
Vessel:Load()
Vessel:MakeActive()
FlightGlobals:setActiveVessel(Vessel, Boolean)
FlightGlobals:SetActiveVessel(Vessel)
FlightDriver:Start()

The craft had that lowest level OKTO core as the root part, but the SAS wasn't tweaked.

Here is a link to the full log.

Apologies in advance if this is a dead end, but it's the only error in the log (well, only unexpected one). Gimme a second, I'll see if the problem happens without TweakableEverything..

EDIT: Welp, turns out that the problem is still present, despite removing AR, TT and TE. Only this time, there's no exception found in the logs so I have literally nothing to go on, hooray! Apologies for wasting time! :D

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

That ToadicusTools method only has two references: the Part that is passed to it, and the Part's ".Modules" PartModuleList. The former is protected, but the latter is not. I'm guessing one of the previous exceptions stopped something from starting up correctly, but that's just a guess.

If you'd like, you can use this dev version of ToadicusTools, which should avoid throwing exceptions in such cases. But, if something else has started up wrong, that's not going to help you much. :)

Kerbas_ad_astra, sorry for this much-belated response!

If you want to add a staging toggle to parachutes, you can add a patch like this one to TweakableParachutes.cfg, or any other .cfg file in GameData:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleTweakableParachute]]:AFTER[TweakableEverything]:NEEDS[TweakableStaging]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleStagingToggle
defaultDisabled = false
activeInFlight = true
activeInEditor = true
}
}

This will default to normal "parachutes in staging" behavior, and will allow you to toggle their presence in the staging list in both the editor and in flight. I'll think about adding it to the default config.

Thanks! I keep going back and forth as to whether I should or shouldn't have my emergency chutes in the staging sequence, but it will be nice to be able to have the option. I wonder if un-staging and re-staging a repacked parachute will let me deploy it via staging again? I'll try it and get back to you.

Edit: No, it doesn't let me deploy parachutes by staging again. Bummer! It does allow me to insert or remove the parachute from the staging order in the editor or in flight, as expected.

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

Not sure if this is in the scope of TweakableEverything or something that's even possible...

Would it be possible to get a toggle so one could tweak RCS ports (the linear ones especially), to cycle through "Translation Only", "Attitude Only", and "Translation and Attitude".

I'm working on a space plane that I can get the translation working great, but I have little rotational authority if I need it. But, if I place ports so rotation works well, I no longer can maintain as good of a balanced translation due to the geometry of the ship.

Kerbas_ad_astra, you're talking about deploying parachutes via the staging list after a repack? I wonder if I can help with that...

helaeon, intercepting control is typically very hard; I don't have the freedom to change the way Squad's code runs, so if they haven't exposed something in the API it is very difficult for me to do it; often on the order of completely re-implementing the module (which I don't really want to do). I'll take a look and see if this is within the scope of things I can do here, though. :)

Yeah, it's one of those quirks of parachutes -- they can be repacked, but they cannot be activated by stating again. They have to be manually deployed by right-clicking on them.

I figured this out the hard way, but fortunately, I had enough altitude to pop one of my chutes, which slowed me down to get the rest.

Randyre, no there is not. Many of the tweaks I've added are intentionally "editor only" tweaks, because they are things that I image would be resolved in the design and construction of the craft, and would not be readily alterable on a ship in flight. If you'd like to refute my opinion, go right ahead. :)

I've found what appears to be either a serious bug in TweakableEverything or possibly instead an incompatibility with TweakScale:

When tweaking the size of a reaction wheel up or down, the tweakable torque values get either set to negative or zero values. Pressing any of the tweakable sliders in this state will cause the entire game to crash. Looking in the .craft file, the incorrect values are indeed in the ModuleTweakableReactionWheel module. I've not found a workaround yet.