[1.2] TweakableEverything 1.16-beta - For all your part tweaking needs

toadicus

I'm noticing some odd reshuffling of stages when going EVA and returning. I'm doing a clean stock branchoff test, also not sure if it's the heat shield.

Edit: okay, I can't get it to reproduce in stock. So, some sort of interaction somewhere.

Edit2: Dangit, now it doesn't want to reproduce.....

Edit3: I got it to reproduce with stock parts in my main game branch (using a temp bugtesting save though), but the trigger conditions are rather odd. You have to EVA, do EVA report, and then go back in. Usually happens the second time you go EVA and back. Gonna see if I can reproduce on the ground. And also narrow down the number of mods, haven't actually gotten to that step yet because I was trying to find the trigger conditions.

Edit4: Doesn't look like I can reproduce on the ground. The trigger just seems to require 'is in space', the orbit doesn't have to be, well, an orbit.

edit5: grr, the usual binary search isn't going to work on this one.......

Edited by smjjames

Okay cipherpunks; I don't know why it's flipflopping like that, but I'll go download FASA and have a look.

Don't thank me, Gaiiden, thank Jayne in Serenity, from Firefly. ;)

smjjames, I think I know what's causing that; I run a check to be sure icons are where they should be when changing vessels, otherwise staging will magically re-enable itself when you switch using the [ ] keys or similar. I'm pretty sure this is a result of my latest "smart placement" for parts as staging is re-enabled.

Time to go rewrite like half the module!

LOL I'm stealing this

Yeah, that's Firefly/Serenity. Jayne "I'll be in my bunk" Cobb.

cipherpunks, which version were you using? That doesn't look like the latest dev build (which iirc shouldn't have any screen text). I'll try to test with FASA soon.

tg626, none of the modules should be touching the staging list unless you're toggling staging on and off with TweakableStaging. Can you describe what you're doing when the stages are "juggled"?

I've half a mind to completely rewrite TweakableStaging; it's starting to damage my calm.

I can't make a proper bug report about it as I didn't take down the data, but I've had empty stages added simply by removing and replacing a part, or the last (stage 0) will have the chute and a space for another icon, but no icon. Last night I loaded Kerbal X, removed the chute and changed it to a docking port, and suddenly all the radial decouplers for the strap on boosters are in one stage. Another time, again Kerbal X, I go to the pad and I get all but one radial decoupler in 1 stage, a single radial in another stage below it, and the 2nd stage engine and the decoupler between stage 2 and the capsule in one stage for no reason at all (that I can tell).

I wondered if it was TE, or maybe "Stock bug fix modules" - I'm think now it might be SBFM...

Okay cipherpunks; I don't know why it's flipflopping like that, but I'll go download FASA and have a look.

smjjames, I think I know what's causing that; I run a check to be sure icons are where they should be when changing vessels, otherwise staging will magically re-enable itself when you switch using the [ ] keys or similar. I'm pretty sure this is a result of my latest "smart placement" for parts as staging is re-enabled.

Time to go rewrite like half the module!

I have no idea how doing science comes into play, but anyhow, since I can't seem to get it narrowed down (doing the binary method went nowhere) heres an output log right after such a screwup event, theres actually one before and there may be a few others since it was a bit before I realized that it was happening again.

http://sta.sh/01lgdf2s3h2i

Hrm, I don't recall that. Guess I'll just have to watch the series again. Altho my fav Jayne line is "I'm going to that special hell" LOL - ok sorry back on topic...

YI've had empty stages added simply by removing and replacing a part
Had that too, many times - but didn't concentrated on this one as it seems harmless, and reproduction steps aren't clear to me yet (not always do they get added)

I'm rewriting all the important parts of TweakableStaging, with a particular mind towards making sure stage order isn't messed with at all unless you actually click a button to change something (e.g. "Disable Staging"). So far it's passing the most basic in-editor tests. More news as it breaks.

Any idea what doing science could possibly have to do with it? I've tried EVAng out and back in many times and the only times it seems to reproduce is in space (where rockets usually go anyway) and when I do an EVA report.

smjjames, there's no reason I'm aware of that doing science should have anything to do with it. I'm certainly not looking for any science-related changes or events to prompt a change. It could be that something you're doing (perhaps the science-sending, but that doesn't follow any of Squad's transmission logic that I'm aware) is unloading or packing up the other ship or something and causing a different reaction when you board the vessel (boarding always fires onVesselChange, which I do listen for).

But, all of the stage juggling should go away completely in the rewrite. It will now be prompted ONLY when you actually click the Enable or Disable Staging buttons. I've also got smart part placement on enable working much more intuitively. I still need to test loading and reloading and reverting and docking and undocking and vessel switching, but at the most basic level I'm much happier with the new implementation.

UPDATE:

Passing basic loading tests now!

Also cipherpunks, the problem with your FASA part, I believe, is that it was getting two ModuleStagingToggles; one from TweakableDockingNodes (which defaults to disabled) and one from TweakableDecouplers (which defaults to enabled). Every update, the TDN copy was disabling staging, and the TDrs copy was enabling it right back. I've amended the TDN patch to only apply a ModuleStagingToggle after TDers and only if there's not already one, and added some election code so even when there are multiple copies only one should be running.

Edited by toadicus
not->now; added dev update

I have no idea if this is a bug with Procedural Fairings or TweakableEverything, but I'm posting a bug report here (will x-post to PF's thread):

Whenever I introduce a PF base to the building section, the right-click context menus don't show up when I right click. This is fixed when I exit the VAB and come back in, but the bases seem to be the ones causing the problem, since the fairings are working fine.

I have no idea if this is a bug with Procedural Fairings or TweakableEverything, but I'm posting a bug report here (will x-post to PF's thread):

Whenever I introduce a PF base to the building section, the right-click context menus don't show up when I right click. This is fixed when I exit the VAB and come back in, but the bases seem to be the ones causing the problem, since the fairings are working fine.

I actually haven't been having a problem with Procedural fairings and TweakableEverything as far as the right click context menus go.

Alright folks, new dev build. I've tested this a lot in the VAB and a little in flight, with no mod parts. There's one set of steps that appears to cause something funky; I'm not going to tell you what it is to see if any of you get there. ;)

[zip] [tar.gz] [tar.xz]

When reporting:

INCLUDE WHOLE LOGS. This is very important. I've got debug logging turned on in this build and it should emit a lot of helpful data. Please don't pick the bit of the log that you think looks important, like a single stack trace, just give me the whole thing. If you don't want the whole Internet to see your folder name or graphics card, shoot it to me in a PM.

Include reproduction steps. If you're not confident of how to reproduce it, at least give as detailed a description of what you were doing and what happened as you can muster.

If you post screenshots, describe them or use them to support parts of your reproduction steps. Don't assume I will see what you're trying to convey without a little context.

Thanks, as usual. :)

Will try to test it now. So far KSP reports 3 MM errors upon loading of TweakableDockingNode.cfg

Edit: Still toeing with that Gemini-Agena for circumlunar navigation in RSS. In VAB all seems to be almost fine, apart from the fact I need to move engine decoupler to some stage manually - or else it will be at left, not in any stage. I did queue staging update after toggling staging for it - no luck. Will toy with it more and will report.

One thing I noticed - it is impossible to stage docking port AND decoupler present on same part separately, but this feature is needed: often I do not want to jettison docking port altogether, I just want it to undock... Example part is again Gemini docking cone.

Edit 2: yeah, looks like I can not undock from (docked in VAB) Agena Target Vehicle anymore at all - I can only decouple the entire Gemini Docking Port... I recall clearly the presence of "Undock node" command in menu, but now it is gone. :-( Steps to reproduce: place Gemini pod, RCS module on top, then Gemini docking port, then (upside-down naturally) Agena docking collar, then (also upside-down as for the rest of Agena parts) Agena core, Agena or PP tank, Agena Flight Pack and finally Agena Engine. HyperEdit this contraption to some orbit and try to undock from Agena Target Vehicle. Logs.

Edit 3: when docked not in VAB, but in orbit, I can undock from Agena Docking Collar, but still not fromGemini Docking Cone.

Edited by cipherpunks

cipherpunks, ModuleStagingToggle really isn't configured to work for two modules at this point. I can change that, but not for the next release; I want the get the core functionality stable first. I'd recommend you patch it out of that part entirely, or run that part with staging disabled.

I've fixed the ModuleManager "errors" (they're really more like warnings in this case). For now just ignore them; they're harmless.

Okay, I'm fine with that (also see my Edit 3 above), and thank You for Your work btw.

Other thing I noticed is empty places sometimes are generated in staging queue - those will go away once You stage. Will provide exact steps later. Seems harmless.

And yes, after docking two vessels, staging gets mixed up, but nevermind.

Is it possible to add the following to the TweakableParachute:

minDeployment

minPressure

deploymentAlt

preDeploymentSpeed

deploymentSpeed

Thanks

LGG

After some testing, I see that the following two items are stock:

min Pressure

deploymentAlt

but these are not in RealChute.

So I'm not sure if the others are needed. Adding these would go a long way to removing the need for another complicated mod, RealChute.

Thx

well, how about tuning the parachute to exact craft mass, then? What about Kevlar strength vs. Nylon, esp. for drugue chutes? RealChute is much needed for that...

Me, I often catch myself wanting to tune gimbal parameters in flight. Makes me want to write MM patch and install KM_Gimbal again, but then it has its own problems... Unfortunately, stock gimbal code, albeit in its own way dumb, seems to work better lately (for balanced craft, when You do not need in-flight trim support, that is)

well, how about tuning the parachute to exact craft mass, then? What about Kevlar strength vs. Nylon, esp. for drugue chutes? RealChute is much needed for that...

Me, I often catch myself wanting to tune gimbal parameters in flight. Makes me want to write MM patch and install KM_Gimbal again, but then it has its own problems... Unfortunately, stock gimbal code, albeit in its own way dumb, seems to work better lately (for balanced craft, when You do not need in-flight trim support, that is)

Not arguing with you for that, but all I need right now is to change the full deployment altitude. RealChute is too complicated, in that you need to go into action groups to make changes, which just doesn't make sense to me. If nothing else, it would make more sense to be able to right-click a parachute and get the editor window from there.

LGG

New dev build, more TStaging improvements.

[zip] [tar.gz] [tar.xz]

The blank spots in the staging list should no longer happen, and parts should no longer wind up "on the side" of the staging list when toggled in certain circumstances.

I don't think there's much I can do about staging when vessels dock... I'm not changing the stage in response to docking; just making sure things are on or off as relevant. Doesn't staging get jumbled after docking in stock, too?

LGG, I've already got tweaks for both deployment speeds; look at {Semi ,}Deployment Factor. So that only leaves "minDeployment" on your list... but I don't know what that is. Can you elaborate on the effect that you're trying to achieve? The request in your last post ("...all I need... is to change the full deployment altitude") is already done by Squad's "Altitude" tweakable, so I've really got nothing to go on here.

cipherpunks, I'll look in to that request soon. Re-enabling Squad's gimbal limiter in flight is probably the way to do that (if I'm correctly understanding what you want), and simple, too!

Cross-posting from Space-Y's thread.

cipherpunks, NecroBones, I'm pretty sure I know specifically why TweakableEngineFairings is stepping on certain shrouds for certain parts; it's definitely something I can fix. But probably not until the weekend. ;)

For the curious, I watch the named "bottomNode" to see if there's a part on it to help know whether or not there should be a shroud. But, I just grab the first bottomNodeName I see (or maybe the last; I forget specifically), rather than handling it separately per module. Shouldn't be too hard to fix, just need to get a chance to code.

Edit: Yay! A report that isn't a TweakableStaging problem! :P

With recent update, I'm afraid PF interstage is broken again (menu won't show up in VAB).

When placing and clicking on part:

KzInterstageAdapter2(Clone) (TweakableEverything.ModuleStagingToggle): Waking up.
OnAwake with defaultDisabled=False
KzInterstageAdapter2(Clone) (TweakableEverything.ModuleStagingToggle): Awake; stagingEnabled=True.
This module is primary

Parsing vector2
Parsing double
Parsing vector2
Parsing double

KzInterstageAdapter2 (TweakableEverything.ModuleStagingToggle): Starting up.
OnStart with stagingEnabled=True
Starting with state Editor
guiActiveEditor: False guiActive: True
The part or some other module has already taken care of the stagingIcon.
Registering events
Started; stagingEnabled: True, part.stackIcon.iconImage: CUSTOM

[ModuleStagingToggle] Enabling
[ModuleStagingToggle] Staging sort queued.

KzInterstageAdapter2 (TweakableEverything.ModuleStagingToggle): Time to update, stagingEnabled=True, isInStagingList=False
Update forced...
We have OnToggle subscribers; firing OnToggle event for them now.
Staging switch doneenabled at stage 0
Just started, so sort will wait till next update
LateUpdate done.

stagingSortQueued and this.queuedStagingSort still true after LateUpdate
this.partPrimary=True
stagingInstance=IconStack (Staging)
waitingForStaging=False
stagingInstance.stages.Count=5

Updating Orion

[ModuleStagingToggle] Stage sort queued but MST on Auriga BPC not updating:
this.partPrimary=False, stagingInstance=IconStack (Staging), waitingForStaging=False

KzInterstageAdapter2 (TweakableEverything.ModuleStagingToggle): Time to update, stagingEnabled=True, isInStagingList=False
This module queued a staging event last update; sorting now.
LateUpdate done.

Launcher here(in write): True
Voxelization Time (ms): 223
---Docking : 3b
Updating Orion
Voxelization Time (ms): 209
---Docking : 3b

ArgumentException: Illegal prefix

Parameter name: pfx
at KSPAPIExtensions.MathUtils.PrefixString (SIPrefix pfx) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KSPAPIExtensions.MathUtils.FormatSI (SIPrefix pfx, Double value, Int32 sigFigs, Int32 exponent, System.String unit) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KSPAPIExtensions.MathUtils.ToStringSI (Double value, Int32 sigFigs, Int32 exponent, System.String unit) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KSPAPIExtensions.MathUtils.ToStringExt (Double value, System.String format) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KSPAPIExtensions.MathUtils.ToStringExt (Single value, System.String format) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KSPAPIExtensions.UIPartActionFloatEdit.UpdateValueDisplay (Single newValue) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KSPAPIExtensions.UIPartActionFloatEdit.UpdateItem () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UIPartActionWindow.CreatePartList (Boolean clearFirst) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UIPartActionWindow.Setup (.Part part, DisplayType type, UI_Scene scene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UIPartActionController.CreatePartUI (.Part part, DisplayType type, UI_Scene scene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UIPartActionController.SelectPart (.Part part, Boolean allowMultiple) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UIPartActionController.HandleMouseClick (UnityEngine.Camera cam, Boolean allowMultiple) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UIPartActionController+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
(Filename: Line: -1)

Disabling/eabling extra FairingStagingToggle.cfg makes no difference - part is no different in ModuleManager.ConfigCache with or without it present (its content is added to the part always)

full log

Edited to add: in fact I can't right-click anything in VAB afterwards; have to re-enter the VAB to make it work again.

TWIMC, crude "workaround"is this:

/cygdrive/c/Games/KSP.RSS/GameData/TweakableEverything$ diff -uN0 TweakableDecouplers.cfg.orig TweakableDecouplers.cfg
--- TweakableDecouplers.cfg.orig 2015-01-03 19:35:50.000000000 +0200
+++ TweakableDecouplers.cfg 2015-06-25 23:36:34.799391800 +0300
@@ -32 +32 @@
-@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDecouple]]:FOR[TweakableEverything]:NEEDS[TweakableStaging]
+@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDecouple],!MODULE[ProceduralFairingAdapter]]:FOR[TweakableEverything]:NEEDS[TweakableStaging]
@@ -56 +56 @@
-@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleTweakableDecouple]]:AFTER[TweakableEverything]:NEEDS[TweakableStaging]
+@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleTweakableDecouple],!MODULE[ProceduralFairingAdapter]]:AFTER[TweakableEverything]:NEEDS[TweakableStaging]

Also I wonder what produces Docking 3b and Voxelization lines...

Edited by cipherpunks
add full log & workaround

cipherpunks, pretty sure that's just this KSPAPIExtensions quirk:

cipherpunks, that's an issue with KSPAPIExtensions not liking FloatEdits that equal 0, I believe, which has been reported before. A few people have posted workarounds; here's mine:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleTweakableDecouple]&@MODULE[ModuleDecouple]:HAS[#ejectionForce[0]]]:AFTER[TweakableEverything]
{
@MODULE[ModuleDecouple]
{
@ejectionForce = 1
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleTweakableDecouple]&@MODULE[ModuleAnchoredDecoupler]:HAS[#ejectionForce[0]]]:AFTER[TweakableEverything]
{
@MODULE[ModuleAnchoredDecoupler]
{
@ejectionForce = 1
}
}

This should bring their ejection force up to 1 kN, which should not cause that issue.

I'm hopeful that KSPAPIExtensions will not be necessary after Squad releases 1.0.3.