I am stuck in a rut.

Whackjob

I don't know how you'll build, but when most mortals use FAR, we tend to build more vertical. The stock joint strength doesn't really work well with vertical builds, so Ferram also put out Kerbal Joint Reinforcement for "properly rigid parts."

If you find it too easy to get into orbit with realistic rockets, install Ferram's Kerbal Isp Difficulty Scaler, which sets the rocket's Isp to require similar builds to get to space (can set only for atmosphere, as FAR shouldn't effect vacuum performance). I'd only suggest using this if you don't use rescaled solar system.

I agree, Deadly Reentry Continued also works well with FAR.

Is it the first gen m17x with the integrated 9400M? If so, then:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-17-m17x/700176-m17x-r1-cant-install-new-nvidia-drivers.html#post8988368

Disable Hybrid SLI as well as the integrated graphics in the BIOS beforehand. If they're enabled, your 280's won't SLI and you're gonna have a bad time. Also disabling PCI-E Gen 2 is worth a shot before trying to update the drivers.

Hrm! Thank you for looking into this. I may give this a try. I have used drivers from laptopvideo2go before, and had some success with that, up until my machine completely failed on me.

Wackjob,

You've always worked on huge projects, so much so that your name is synonymous with grand glorious massive cpu-melting designs. Have you ever considered going in the opposite direction? No one here has claimed title to the Wackjob of Miniturization...yet. Aside from the Challenges forum, and the various rocket building companies that do exist looking for volunteers, what of yourself logging in with a new nickname, and designing a craft so small, but so totally mind-blowingly crammed with parts that it is capable of making said craft go anywhere in the system...while also looking good?

I started Shuttlecraft Systems Inc. with that goal in mind... and so far:

A Proton H prototype, an Amphibious VTOL SSTO capable of trips from Kerbin to Duna.

WM6Q6Zy.png

hnMWNlg.png

Be inspired.

Can Wackjob be king of both the grand, and the miniature?

Edited by inigma

Use your imagination? I might not be a whackjob (I made you a noun! and love your contraptions!) but I have an endless imagination...

Seriously, sometimes you get bored with a video game. That happens to all of us with any type of game. Take a rest... I hope you'll come back. If not?: thanks for the ride.

Meh to small. Done it already. I decided to take a half hour and just mess around. See what I could do with old fashioned apollo style staging. Results follow:

owrVFT3.png

M72xWsa.png

WtIKRkz.png

I could probably have gotten a lot more d/v and stages with a tiny upper rocket, but, meh. Me and tiny?

If I could only figure out a way to start building from the centre, I could have gone twice as tall.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.