Caelib

Have you landed on Tylo?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Have you landed on Tylo?

• Yes!
    • No, I have tried but failed!
    • No, I have never tried.
    • What's Tylo?

During my first save i made a craft with 5 1500 thrust engines and very very little fuel and landed there using the fuel cheat.. havent been there since... Theres nothing there, why bother.

It is the journey, not the destination. As everything in computer games should be. Tylo is one of the most interesting bodies to land and ascend, if you do not use infinite fuel trick. It is fun to plan optimal ships and maneuver them from KSC to selected point on Tylo via optimal trajectories.

I honestly didnt find it all that hard to land on tylo. Designing a ship for the landing was prety easy as was geting it out there. the only somewhat tricky bit was the landing itself. Getting just the right throttle to keep speed down to safe velocities while also needing to touchdown ASAP before fuel reserve was depleated was the only hairy bit.

My Tylo Chair Lander

Before launch I 'EVA' and R-click 'Board' the chair. My first 'stage' is decoupling the pods on the sides (they float down to the ground) and then I 'Recover' them to get my money back.

HkpuPtC.jpg

As others have said, the trick to landing on Tylo is to reduce orbit speed while not gaining much downward crash speed, then land as normal

Tylo PreLand craft

y9Vk2vt.jpg

On landing, the side tanks still have a bit of fuel left in them. They can be decoupled before take-off. It's fun to make them roll down hill

NI50rQs.jpg

AstroDoc

Edited by AstroDoc

Until now, I could never say I landed on Tylo... more like, lithobraked at high speed. I had given up on Tylo until I got the .24.2 "Explore Tylo" contract, but I still kept plowing into the ground. Finally I built a lander that had the fuel to make it, if my transfer stage had enough fuel left to start the descent. In true Kerbal fashion, during the descent that had the best chance, I forgot to hit F5 before screwing up my suicide burn (again). The next ship I sent had a much worse Jool encounter, so I had less fuel to work with. I did remember to hit F5 this time, though.

After a few total failures and a few F9s, I finally was so close... but I still ran out of fuel high enough to blow the lander to pieces. However, the important piece survived. How's this for Kerbal tech?

screenshot17.png

I hit F9 again, and blew the lander up again, but this time it landed right-side up.

screenshot18-1.png

This time I left them there, and I'll send another ship, and hopefully get a better Jool encounter next time.

My Tylo Chair Lander

Before launch I 'EVA' and R-click 'Board' the chair. My first 'stage' is decoupling the pods on the sides (they float down to the ground) and then I 'Recover' them to get my money back.

http://i.imgur.com/HkpuPtC.jpg

As others have said, the trick to landing on Tylo is to reduce orbit speed while not gaining much downward crash speed, then land as normal

Tylo PreLand craft

http://i.imgur.com/y9Vk2vt.jpg

On landing, the side tanks still have a bit of fuel left in them. They can be decoupled before take-off. It's fun to make them roll down hill

http://i.imgur.com/NI50rQs.jpg

How did you center the Command Seat on the Probecore?

Seems like I can only manage to place it off the center of mass :(

This is my Tylo Base with Lander. I put a Base on every Body as colony so I can plant flags all day. On top of the base is the 1 kerbal return vehicle.

screenshot3.png

I have no pics from the landing... by far the toughest I've done and it took me 3 or 4 tries to actually land in one piece. I never used mechjeb or any other calculation app so this was built by hand and some tries at kerbin.

After all, landed:

screenshot4.png

At this time, jeb is back in orbit, ascend was a piece of cake with more than enough fuel to rendevous, even with the excentric orbit of the mother ship.

The base has still some fuel left:

screenshot7.png

The hard thing isnt landing and getting back to orbit, its to build a lander that also looks good and has all the science stuff with it...

I disagree on the looks part. That's the last thing I think of, after it works perfectly... The only thing I have to say about designs is it has to have an enclosed pod. I HATE HATE when people use the command seat chairs on a tank to land on Tylo or Eve....

What's wrong with chair-rocket for Tylo?

I mean, I know it's not the most realistic game or anything, but come on, a BIT of realism should come into play... And I think it's kind of a cheat to save weight. If you're going to send a chair lander, might as well just send a probe.

I attempted my first Tylo landing last night. Just a probe and as small as I knew how to make it. It failed, sorta. The very top of the vehicle survived crashing into the surface at almost 200m/s. The probcore, most of the batteries, nuke power source and the antenna were all intact. I was able to transmit science from the surface so the contract to "explore Tylo" was completed. Not a total failure, but very very close. Needed more TWR, decent was powered by a LV-N and although it had more than enough DeltaV not enough punch to overcome Tylo gravity. Live and learn...

Max

I disagree on the looks part. That's the last thing I think of, after it works perfectly... The only thing I have to say about designs is it has to have an enclosed pod. I HATE HATE when people use the command seat chairs on a tank to land on Tylo or Eve....

check out mine - you will hate it :kiss:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64901-Have-you-landed-on-Tylo?p=1407925&viewfull=1#post1407925

• 2 weeks later...
Taking off is easier than landing. No atmo, no drag. You can get stable orbit above about 12.5km. From there, a science sample returns are quite viable. low altitude docking is hard, but My botched laythe takeoff tonight showed that you can grab the experiments and bail out, then EVA to finish up a degrading orbit.

My mission might be under built. It's minimalist and I'm worried about twr.

Is that what makes it slightly different from eve, I mean for eve landing was easy, getting to orbit was hard, but for Tylo, landing was hard without atmosphere, but easy to get to orbit because of no atmosphere? Perhaps when I about to talk about Moho, think again. Orbital insertion after entering SOI was incredibly hard due to fact that it requires the most delta v but landing and takeoff was easy.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the protractor on my son's computer desk (an important tool for players of early versions). I looked at the changelog page. I became interested in version 0.17 .. I thought a Tylo landing might be a good challenge. This thread started 5/1/14 (version 0.23) and version 0.17 was released Sept 2012. I see that some of the early responders to this thread made the trip on version 0.17.

The lightest command pod was the mass 0.8 pod that the career games start with, and it didn't come with auto-stabilisation (ie couldn't press 'T' on the keyboard and get it to keep it's attitude). The lightest engine available was the 50-thrust LV-909 (mass 0.5). The lightest fuel/oxidiser tank was the FL-T200 (mass 1.125). No tiny octagonal struts available. It was destined to be much heavier than the lander I screenshot last month for this thread .. There's a tower by the launch site which limits the size of the craft .. There are no docking ports .. In flight there is no 'Set Target' and no manoevre node option (not that I use it much now anyway, but it was very helpful in the early learning stages). Also when I arranged a transfer orbit then went 1/2 way round to create a rendezvous orbit, the map view wasn't as helpful at letting me know that I'd been successful.

Having made the trip, I really admire the early players of the game, for doing so much with limited resources. Screenshots below show launchpad rocket ready, en route, and landed on Tylo.

AstroDoc

u6b2lVy.jpg

vYOa4wn.jpg

tr6C6tL.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There is a trick to landing on Tylo. If a spacecraft can take off from Kerbin and get itself into orbit in one stage, then it can land on Tylo.

Having enough fuel to take off again would be the trick. During my Tylo explorations I've been using the KAS mod to facilitate fuel transfers between the lander and unmanned refueling rovers. Mind you... I've yet to actually take off from Tylo yet... the mission is ongoing. But again I think if the ship could make it to Kerbin orbit, it will make Tylo orbit.

My mission is being a little more difficult than it might normally be, as I've set myself the goal of planting a flag at the North Pole of every landable body in the game. Terrain has been making the missions very interesting and Tylo's pole has been no exception.

I should probably have not named my kerbalnaut "Robert Falcon Scott Kerbin"

Edited by AstroRick

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.