Caelib

Have you landed on Tylo?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Have you landed on Tylo?

• Yes!
    • No, I have tried but failed!
    • No, I have never tried.
    • What's Tylo?

Landed and returned. Nifty pilot so I was back then! :)

dZkF2ep.png

And I was very happy to rescue Jeb from this prang:

hdkIOK8.png

Not sure how close the rescue dropship landed, but it was a long trek over the surface for him. I probably left something heavy on the keyboard. ^^

Eve is the only solid body I've not returned Kerbals from now.

I'm actually doing my ~20 minute burn to get to jool now, with my tylo sample/science return lander. 2 goo, a science jr, and a full suite of instruments for both near-surface measurements and on surface. Its got a whopping 3700 dV for the landing (hopefully enough?). The kerbal can get out, bounce around, bring all the science back up to the pod, and then a small rocket with about 2600 dv blasts off the top leaving the dead weight behind. My tug then goes in for the pickup, hopefully, because the little lander has no way of manuevering at all.

I just hope its got enough thrust! I put it on the back of my nuclear tug just now, and the exhaust gave me some damage reports.

I really hope the thing makes it. Node in one minute.

I've never flown two simultaneous missions anywhere before! The tylo lander and space station left about an hour after the laythe-bop-pol lander and the lab/crew return module.

Edited by thiosk

I'm actually doing my ~20 minute burn to get to jool now

Speaking of long burns, did you know that you can use ALT + . to increase time acceleration while in a burn? VERY handy for long burns ... just make sure your craft is balanced or it will get all wibbly-wobbly at x4.

If this chart is accurate, you might have enough -- but I think you might need the same 3070 delta-v to take off from Tylo as you do land on it -- experts please correct me if I'm wrong:

system_map.png

Edited by Caelib

Speaking of long burns, did you know that you can use ALT + . to increase time acceleration while in a burn? VERY handy for long burns ... just make sure your craft is balanced or it will get all wibbly-wobbly at x4.

If this chart is accurate, you might have enough -- but I think you might need the same 3070 delta-v to take off from Tylo as you do land on it -- experts please correct me if I'm wrong:

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ksp/system_map.png

Taking off is easier than landing. No atmo, no drag. You can get stable orbit above about 12.5km. From there, a science sample returns are quite viable. low altitude docking is hard, but My botched laythe takeoff tonight showed that you can grab the experiments and bail out, then EVA to finish up a degrading orbit.

My mission might be under built. It's minimalist and I'm worried about twr.

Edited by thiosk

Landed some times, 4-5 manned return missions. Never tried to land manually always with mechjeb. No problems landing on Vall but never managed Tylo.

All landers except from an kethane miner who mined after landing has been seat or ladder to return pilot.

I built a two-stage, two-Kerbal Tylo lander as part of my Jool grand tour a couple of versions ago. Always mean to go back and do it again, but RL keeps getting in the way. I think my solution was pretty unique. I used the first stage to cancel out all my orbital velocity and get the lander to roughly 1,000m, then I jettisoned it and landed the second stage. Once the second stage made it back to orbit I refueled it and reused it for Bop and Pol. It was pretty hairy, as I recall. The lander barely made it back to orbit, nothing but fumes in the tank, the mothership had to make the rendezvous.

I have landed on Tylo. I was really confused at how hard it was. My first mission was my standard lander-probe that has landed on two-thirds of the planets and moons in the system. But it would run out of fuel about 100m about the surface. DOH! My second design landed with plenty of fuel (had a drop-tank on top of the probe), but it really needed more than the three lander legs it had.

Anyone landed and returned to orbit with a single stage?

I seem to be the only one so far. I'm sure others have done it though.

IIRR I had a probe-only version of one of my proper Tylo landers that managed - also ISTR during one of the crewed ascents I thought I had enough to get by, but jettisoned the side stages just to be on the safe side. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My Tylo mission finally got there. Got my brave kerbal into the lander, detached from the mothership, and accidentally separated the main descent stage. Oops!

Thankfully I'd brought 2 landers. Got in the other one, took it down to a 20k circular orbit and started to burn, with around 7000m/s in the tanks. I used about half of that getting down, and the landing was far more relaxed than I thought possible. Indeed, towards the end I had enough thrust in hand that I throttled back about 50% to avoid coming to a stop hundreds of metres above the ground, which would have been expensive.

Got back to my orbiting mothership with around 1,000m/s left in the final stage of the 3 stage lander. Transferred the fuel, deorbited any remnants of the lander and burned for Laythe, to rendezvous with my station there.

Landed on Tylo on the first try, no casualties. Can't quite believe it let me off so easily.

Not yet, but I intend to do Jool all as one big lump, hitting up every moon and the big J itself, taking plenty of fuel and kerbals to do it with.

It's going to take a LOT of fuel, and probably one hell of a lot of missions as well.

Check out the Jool 5 challenge.

Anyone landed and returned to orbit with a single stage?

I seem to be the only one so far. I'm sure others have done it though.

Yep, though I used KW rocketry 2.5m tanks but stock engines. I do have a completely stock single stage lander that works too. Carries a 1 man lander can.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.