Share your rockets

I just posted this craft in the Need for Speed thread. Just thought that it also belonged in this one.

I wanted to see how fast I could do within the first km. from launch. It turns out that the escape tower (from Sunday Punch's Woobly Rockets parts pack 1.04) has got the best acceleration. So, obviouslly, I stacked 11 of them on a Command Pod to make a pull rocket. Why 11? Because more would just separate from the Command Pod by the intense pull.

I called this craft The Unicorn.

It goes up to 548 m/s before reaching the first km. It's got like 2 second of max acceleration.

I'm sorry for not posting any pictures or video but it really slows down my computer when I launch this baby.

(well, I forgot to post the Flight results screen)

ScreenShot%20051%20Kerbal%20Space%20Program.png

Cheers,

JM Solé

Single Stage, No Jettisons, the entire rocket to 1885 km, stock parts.

I just got rid of the Arrow Mk III's wings, and got better at flying. ???

Thanks feldopropane. I got some of the tanks into space, and then let them rip. :D

lXE1b.png

nice you got alot further this time :D

little tip once you are out of orbit try to reduce your throttle to the minum so that you still have forward momentum this will save you alot of fuel and in the long run you will build up more speed and get you further !

Now I just put in stable orbit (I hope) a new spacecraft I made. It's called The Behemoth and it´s a one stage 'interplanetary' spacecraft. I wanted it to look like a science fiction movie spacecraft, one you could see in a 70's or 80's SF movie. It's super hiper slow to manouver and you have to really bring her up slowly. I think it's because it was never made for takeoff ;)

Here are a few pictures:

ScreenShot%20052%20Kerbal%20Space%20Program.png

ScreenShot%20053%20Kerbal%20Space%20Program.png

ScreenShot%20054%20Kerbal%20Space%20Program.png

ScreenShot%20055%20Kerbal%20Space%20Program.png

Below is the .craft file for the JMS Behemoth Mk1. Now there's a Mk2 which you can see below:

ScreenShot%20056%20Kerbal%20Space%20Program.png

It's more of the same but a bit easier on the takeoff and more 'behemothy'.

Went smaller instead of bigger, this one is simple, but I hit 830,000 m with it.. as it was the first version, i'm working on squeezing some more out of it. Fly's like a dream. All stock parts, btw. http://imgur.com/flDbq

ok here is mk II.. launched me into the K's intead of the M's.. still working on escape velocity.. http://imgur.com/TxkwK

YOBCj.png

Been orbiting for almost five and a half hours now, this is taken at the end of the seventh full orbit. KSC is marked on the screen cap, next to the g-force meter. A tank and a half of maneuvering fuel left to go home.

I'll post a picture of the booster when I decide to bring it back down, but for now I just want to see if I can go for a while longer and try to land in the water just off the coast of the pad.

Ladies and Gentlemen, in honor of Space Shuttle Atlantis, I decided to take on the most daring shuttle launch ever attempted.

As if launching one shuttle into low Earth orbit strapped to a giant rocket wasn't hard enough, I've decided to strap all three of them, Endeavour, Atlantis, and Discovery, to an even BIGGER rocket, to launch them all into orbit at once.

I dub it the Tri-Orbital Launching Platform Mk. II, or as I affectionately call it, 'Mega Shuttle Supreme'.

MSS01.jpg

Initial launch did not result in an explosion, so we're off to a good start. It actually performed better than expected.

MSS02.jpg

1st stage separation worked well, far better than the TOLP Mk. I, which was prone to explode by merely existing.

MSS04.jpg

File please!!

Was able to make it to an acceptable altitude to perform the most crucial leg of the mission, the separation of the Shuttles.

Commencing in 3... 2...

MSS05.jpg

..1! They sure separated, but what can't be seen in this shot is the BREAK NECK SPEEDS AT WHICH THEY WERE SHOT OUT

I lost sight of them in a matter of seconds, I hoped for the best. It's at this point I would also like to note, and later redact from the records, that upon separation I noticed I did not provide the shuttles with rockets. God speed to those poor, brave Kerbals.

MSS06.jpg

No time to reflect on such matters, for now is the time to bring Jeb and crew safely back to the surface of their home planet. The final leg of the mission. Time to put those spot welds and duct tape fixings to the test.

MSS07.jpg

Now, one would normally attempt such a maneuver via a de-orbit sequence, but I opted for the straight forward FULL THROTTLE AT THE SURFACE approach.

MSS08.jpg

Parachutes engaged, aaand...

MSS09.jpg

TOUCHDOWN! With the landing vehicle mostly intact from the landing, I'd consider this a success.

Truly, a historic moment for science and all of Kerbal-kind.

MSS10.jpg

Bob never stopped screaming even after the landing, might have had something to do with the fact they pulled 56 Gees at some point, but what do I know. Leave that to the para-medics.

Ladies and Gentlemen, in honor of Space Shuttle Atlantis, I decided to take on the most daring shuttle launch ever attempted.

As if launching one shuttle into low Earth orbit strapped to a giant rocket wasn't hard enough, I've decided to strap all three of them, Endeavour, Atlantis, and Discovery, to an even BIGGER rocket, to launch them all into orbit at once.

I dub it the Tri-Orbital Launching Platform Mk. II, or as I affectionately call it, 'Mega Shuttle Supreme'.

MSS01.jpg

Initial launch did not result in an explosion, so we're off to a good start. It actually performed better than expected.

MSS02.jpg

1st stage separation worked well, far better than the TOLP Mk. I, which was prone to explode by merely existing.

MSS04.jpg

Was able to make it to an acceptable altitude to perform the most crucial leg of the mission, the separation of the Shuttles.

Commencing in 3... 2...

MSS05.jpg

..1! They sure separated, but what can't be seen in this shot is the BREAK NECK SPEEDS AT WHICH THEY WERE SHOT OUT

I lost sight of them in a matter of seconds, I hoped for the best. It's at this point I would also like to note, and later redact from the records, that upon separation I noticed I did not provide the shuttles with rockets. God speed to those poor, brave Kerbals.

MSS06.jpg

No time to reflect on such matters, for now is the time to bring Jeb and crew safely back to the surface of their home planet. The final leg of the mission. Time to put those spot welds and duct tape fixings to the test.

MSS07.jpg

Now, one would normally attempt such a maneuver via a de-orbit sequence, but I opted for the straight forward FULL THROTTLE AT THE SURFACE approach.

MSS08.jpg

MSS09.jpg

TOUCHDOWN! With the landing vehicle mostly intact from the landing, I'd consider this a success.

MSS10.jpg

Bob never stopped screaming even after the landing, might have had something to do with the fact they pulled 56 Gees at some point, but what do I know. Leave that to the para-medics.

Quote like that then add what you were going to say.

Such as 'File please!!'

this is a pretty silly rocket here, makin' use of them thar bombs!

I also have another rocket, the Valkyrie Mk I which I'm still testing. so far it has reached a stable Orbit and is currently flying along and it has reached 2620 km and counting

the cougar-class bomber.....

bomber.jpg

MSS01.jpg

MSS02.jpg

MSS04.jpg

Commencing in 3... 2...

MSS05.jpg

MSS06.jpg

MSS07.jpg

MSS08.jpg

MSS09.jpg

MSS10.jpg

Ahem, file fors it?

sx-1.jpg?t=1310811439

sx-2.jpg?t=1310810779

SX-1 and SX-2 Rocketplanes

The short-lived S series was born from a civilian spaceflight project to create a simpler, lighter, and more affordable space vehicle. Though it was eventually won out against by the more conventional OAV-3, the design was soon adopted for military purposes, as a long-range, suborbital bomber, capable of delivering nuclear payloads while being reusable, affordable, and less flashy in contrast with ICBMs.

Though the SX-1 was significantly lighter and more compatible with altitude-granting SRBs, the craft itself lacked the range and speed of the SX-2. As the S series never left its experimental stage, both vehicles retained their X suffix, and were regarded mostly as failures, never to see action. However, the SX-2 prototype still serves as a testbed for altitude and propulsion experiments.

(Sorry about that; I just like describing in-game projects as they would be had they actually existed. I'm still trying to make a suborbital bomber, though.)

Let me introduce myself with my story of how the Kerbal Space Program is doing. They called their program the 'Omega Project'. Under this program various engineer's tried their best to beat the planet's gravity. Only two of the ten rockets were considered successful.

0899514f0a77cc70f7943f6e49dd932e3c9493e6d53eef26a95016188e7370686g.jpg

It all started with Omega I. A simple design which was more or less a proof of concept. While it seemed quite capable of flying the proof quickly came to light. It didn't fly too well.

They then moved to a larger design after figuring out what went wrong with Omega I. Enter Omega II.

4327b89746c175f4afe6b21b64579c875e06ac32ac0beef0d49752e1c942d8f96g.jpg

Considered a success, but only reached a maximum velocity of 1486 m/s.

After this, it was thought that the design could be improved and thus Omega III was created.

9ee49c767362a86af711bc9b83565f81c9a54f8ad743af508aa1fadf8bb868d56g.jpg

It proved to be just as effective as Omega II. Not what they were hoping for. In response to this Omega IV was created.

d1f054c63b6c7933585c8ad9d0720391b37a4d81919cfce55a62eff3a9c0893c6g.jpg

It turned out that is rocket was a failure. It just didn't work out. However, the crew survived. Though they did continue on this line of thinking and Omega V came to be.

e649c800b37b832c439768c4dcd5a806f138b4dfa2e01e03c611eebca09bcf7b6g.jpg

It too proved to be a failure. They thought something was wrong with this design on the whole. Yet they took it one step further for Omega VI.

dca29b528dc54ffdfb652ccd3bb9f532b4cbb2c15c85deb272f16311db436b7c6g.jpg

This rocket turned out to be their most successful design to date. Unsurpassed as one might say. It achieved a maximum speed of 2954 m/s, but they found out that the liquid engines they used had a tendency to cause the rocket to . . ., rock back and forth. However, instead of trying to correct that issue they poured resources into creating an entirely new design . . ., Omega VII.

8c26b98320545d7e2eebe85d994c368209d847d3e419310584aba438f1262bfd6g.jpg

It failed to come close to Omega VI's success. But the engineers were quite sure they could out do Omega VI and the result was over designing Omega VII into Omega VIII.

4b6e5abeac62e0f433d7d88e814ba924935a0e45099c35d48fb0c546e00664a16g.jpg

Omega VIII came very close to reaching Omega VI, but didn't quite do it. It was at this point that the head honchos of KSP poured resources into a much more powerful design, Omega IX.

145fb75d1a556abd48534268d999e9052e72269b7390b8befd84b170b38bb31b6g.jpg

However, shortly after launch it was discovered this design was exceedingly dangerous. That fateful afternoon is known only as 'Failure to Launch'. However, that didn't stop KSP from exploring even further into the notion of incredibly powerful rocket designs.

Omega X

f15dd83f2257bf83202fb335d80b2846f5a0d305d210e3e1fbb18315fc9a2bc96g.jpg

In a word, failure. It was also with this rocket that KSP decided to end the 'Omega Project'.

It was at this point that KSP realized their engineer's were stupid and hired a brand new staff of engineers to come up with a completely new design. The engineers called the rocket, Mki.

2b74f3a370f188c1c53d1a5c78f1f70dc96cc34d282c3a03a754031a1b5bb5966g.jpg

While a decent design it failed to surpass Omega VI, and the team was subsequently fired and replaced. It was this next team that created the KSP's greatest rocket yet, Bashton I.

3769b6059147a36d35a1012df08f278dd5f151df212cc63ac9af13414405a9a86g.jpg

The rocket was not designed with the intention to enter orbit. It was designed to show that gravity could indeed be beaten. Bashton I achieved a successful launch with a final speed of 4409 m/s. The KSP was very happy with the results. The team of engineers is currently working on Bashton II with the intention of entering orbit and then coming back.

Ladies and Gentlemen,I present the Thunderbird MK.1!

scaled.php?server=27&filename=ksp2011072117024222.png&res=medium

After many years of testing and building,KSP has finally finished it's newest rocket.It is not made to go into orbit,rather,to go as fast and as far as possible.For what is was meant to do,the Thunderbird MK.1 was a resounding success,and plans for the Thunderbird MK.2 are already in the works.(The Thunderbird MK.1 was originally going to be called the Goliath,but the name was scraped.)

I can be a bit of an attention whore sometimes so I'm just going to cross-post my two proudest creations from the Spacecraft Exchange forum. They are both elegant, huge, and extremely fast. And of course made with only standard parts. They are:

Iteron 6 rev. 1:

i6-001.pad.jpg

i6-001.escape.jpg

http://files.minthos.com/KSP/i6-001.craft

Battlespire rev. 4:

battlespire-004.hangar.jpg

battlespire-004.first.stage.flight.jpg

battlespire-004.second.stage.flight.jpg

battlespire-004.escape.jpg

http://files.minthos.com/KSP/Battlespire-004.craft

Been experimenting trying to make a single-stage to orbit craft. This isn't quite it, but close, or could be if it didn't steer like a battleship embedded in concrete.

Gentlemen, I give you the Longcat:

Jettison two engines once you break 300m/s for increased efficiency.

Been experimenting trying to make a single-stage to orbit craft. This isn't quite it, but close, or could be if it didn't steer like a battleship embedded in concrete.

Gentlemen, I give you the Longcat:

Jettison two engines once you break 300m/s for increased efficiency.

Needs more fuel! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.