Share your rockets

This is Fire Rain I. A 2-stage MIRV 8-warhead missile designed to rain fire upon the enemies of KSP. Funnily enough.

It uses Sunday Punch's parts and MTS' Tuned SAS (big red) plus the tiny liquid booster and fuel tank for the support structure inside the warhead and CaptainSlug's PLF parts for the epic fairing. Fair play, closest thing I've seen to a perfect fairing pack. No craft file, since this is easy enough to reproduce. Crew are totally recoverable!

10fvwbc.png

This beauty on the pad. Paint it in Minuteman white = epic win. The first stage is 7 x KerbalDyne medium engines plus four of the drained-out solid rocket boosters. Second stage is the 4-nozzle 3m engine with the famous orange tank.

63zpqo.png

Here you can see inside the fairing. In theory those DOABs could be a Fat Man-sized low-yield nuke or something newer and flashier. The RCS and SAS are both vital, as are the 6 struts. I think without and struts the force applied by the RCS would snap the mini tanks clean off, leaving me with half a rocket and no thrusters. Nevertheless, it was required, and despite the great tweaking of the Big Red, I was fighting FR-SII even when I was in orbit, with the SAS on.

Sadly the amount of fuel I carried wasn't nearly enough to go to deorbit speeds, drop a DOAB and speed up again, as I would love to. Maybe when (if) there are huge yield bombs (explosion visible from orbit) I will do some config hacking and do it that way.

Will, it's about time I shared my rockets. All of these are stock parts only, and I can establish orbit with any one of them.

The Orbiter Mk 1. A fairly reliable ship, if a little finicky to get into orbit. :-\

The Orbiter Mk 1 Mod 1. Slightly more tankage gives a somewhat higher chance of successful orbiting. :)

The Orbiter Mk 2. Switching to liquid fuel and adding a few solids to get it off the pad leave it FAR more reliable in terms of 'reaching orbit', but something of a thrillride in the upper atmosphere. ???

And, the Orbiter Mk 2 Mod 1. This thing goes exoatmospheric before first stage burnout. I eventually got bored with waiting for it to stop climbing, gave it a retro burn, and circularised the orbit... roughly 6000km up. :o

The Mk 2 is... abusive towards my PC. This is a beast of a machine, and it takes until well after all the solids are gone for the framerate to get out of single digits. Jebediah LOVES it! 8)

Here's something vaguely realistic. Uses stock and Wobbly Rockets parts.

OXvhn.png

From top to bottom:

• [li]CM.[/li]
    [li]Stock decoupler.[/li]
    [li]SAS (stock, but I think I'm going to make a part that acts like the stock SAS but uses the model and texture from Sunday Punch's RCS, so it matches better).[/li]
    [li]Sunday Punch's double fuel tank.[/li]
    [li]NERVA. Any liquid would do, but the extra endurance of the NERVA is just more fun.[/li]
    [li]1m to 3m transition piece, hiding the NERVA.[/li]
    [li]Two of the big orange 3m fuel tanks.[/li]
    [li]Eight vernier thrusters, modded to Ki = 2, Kp = 6, Kd = 4, because Sunday Punch's constants didn't seem to work really at all. I would have been equally happy with four, but the available positioning options made four look stupid, so I put on eight.[/li]
    [li]Four aerodynamic radial couplers (another Sunday Punch special).[/li]
    [li]Four of those lovely 'medium SRBs'.[/li]
    [li]Five of the standard liquid-fueled engine at the bottom of the stack.[/li]

It launches with all engines blazing, sheds the SRBs at about a minute in, and is good and orbital by the time it drops the fuel tank. With the NERVA, one fuel tank on the upper stage is enough for a good amount of orbital maneuvers and de-orbit.

Jeb's BOOMstick, after years of dreaming and many practical launches Kerbal's Leading Kerbalnaut, Jeb, was allowed to design a launch vehicle free rein using the simple ideals: make it as tall as possible and as simple and powerful as possible. Thus was born a 2 stage SRB rocket which towers over the launch pad and crashes KSP whenever it goes BOOM. Be warned may crash KSP make sure all projects are saved.

Pre - Launch Checks

JBS.png

Jeb Seems to enjoy his Creation

JBS2.png

Near Maximum altitude

JBS3.png

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, no pics, but here is the Spaceworthy series, a group of, currently, four rockets with the aim of being as stable as possible.

SW-1 is fully orbit-capable, just be careful how you spend the fuel!

SW-2 is heavier, and was the obligatory \'Moar boost!!1!\' rocket.

SW-3 is one of my latest attempts. Carried by six radially mounted rockets, it can bring four full tanks up into space.

SW-4 is, again, a \'Moar Rocket\' thing. Again, brings more than plenty of fuel into orbit, even though it\'s a little slow to launch.

Have fun!

By the way, all vanilla parts.

Guest Flixxbeatz

Epsilon Omega C. My latest (and currently fastest, with a peak speed of 11382.6 m/s) built-for-speed rocket, intended to send my probe into deep space at high speed.

Only a picture of it for now (which will be soon to be used as my signature). Its design is still somewhat primitive (in my opinion). Recommendations are welcome.

Oh, and my very first post. Ohai guys! :D

EPSILON OMEGA SERIES

Epsilon Omega C

EOC.jpg

(well, it\'s basically the B, modified for more speed...)

Epsilon Omega B (video)

Epsilon Omega (video)

• 2 weeks later...

This is my baby.. all made of stock, unmodded parts. When it breaks out of the atmosphere (35,000m) it\'s going over 480 m/sec with over 33 full liquid fuel tanks still left to burn. It\'s tough to steer into a slingshot escape from the planet, but if you continue straight up, it finishes its last stage 13 minutes and 45 seconds into the mission, 2600 kilometers from Kearth and travelling at 9775 m/sec, without ever having exceeded 3.8Gs. Most of the trip through the atmosphere is at a decent clip of 125 m/sec, which is about the quickest I could manage it with such a large vessel. This is my 'manned Mars mission' rocket, for when the time comes. It should carry enough fuel to get me there, land, launch, and make it back to Kearth.

The first stage has 60 boosters all firing at once.. my system locks up for a few seconds upon firing. ;)

Finally, a video of last night\'s successful launch. This thing can be a LOT more stable than it was during that filming, but I\'d already recorded the whole video several times just to have my capture software crap out on me, so this is good enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcr-mxiki5w

o3Yp0.jpg

Show off :P

The first products of the KSP were simple test rockets: single stage, two stage, solid and liquid fueled, carrying nothing but instruments and radio guidance. Jebediah Kerman kept pestering the engineers for a kerman-rated vehicle, and offered considerable input on the design of the original dummy capsule (which soon became the one-kerman capsule). He often pushed for eliminating safety features to save weight and cost; some considered it a minor miracle when he agreed to putting a parachute on the spacecraft. They\'d expected ol\' Jeb to simply crash the thing and walk out of the flaming wreckage.

orbiter1-00.jpg

(Orbiter 1, built entirely with stock parts - originally flown with a stock pod, but the Mercury-style model was used for this \'historic\' recreation. The SRBs were placed by hand, and the rocket has a tendency to spin.)

Orbiter 1 was 'a little wobbly' according to Jeb, mostly due to the difficulty of aligning all of the solid rockets in the first stage, but somehow he got it up and secured his place in history as the first kerman in space. The flight plan called for him to make only one orbit before dropping into the sea east of the space center; he later complained that he 'could have gone around a couple more times, easy.' The proof of that was left to Bill Kerman in Orbiter 1a (a revision that added more bracing to the SRBs), who completed two orbits before losing his nerve and another before ground control finally gave him the procedure to come down.

orbiter1-01.jpg

orbiter1-06.jpg

orbiter1-09.jpg

Jeb was already looking forward. 'We\'re gonna make the next one bigger,' he proclaimed confidently. 'Bigger, higher, faster.'

A series of extremely expensive failures followed. Several unmanned rockets blew up on or above the pad, detonated by the range safety officer or their own unstable and volatile configurations. Jeb and his fellow kerbonauts, riding in the new three-kerman capsule, had to parachute to safety twice when likely-seeming prototypes spun wildly out of control.

In the end, Jeb was forced to concede that his company just didn\'t have the parts and the know-how to make his vision of the next Orbiter a reality. Reluctantly, the program was opened up to outside contractors. Many companies submitted bids, all of them eager for a cut of the money and prestige now associated with the program, even though none had ever built rockets before. KSP, naturally, went with the lowest bidders.

orbiter2-00.jpg

(Orbiter 2, built with parts by NovaSilisko and Sunday Punch. The 3-to-5x1 baseplate for the main rocket really should have a streamlined fairing, but I couldn\'t find an appropriate part, and it makes no actual difference in flight.)

While built along the same general lines of its predecessor, Orbiter 2 was, as promised, bigger in every respect. Double-sized solid boosters were ringed around a first stage carrying more fuel in two big tanks than Orbiter 1 had in six, feeding five engines in place of three. The redesign of the upper stage was more conservative, using one large fuel tank instead of two and an experimental engine that might (or might not) be slightly more efficient, as well as the now standard capsule. A stabilization module was considered at several points in the design process, but ultimately nixed by Jeb, who insisted that the multiple engines should keep the massive rocket very stable... assuming they all worked, of course.

orbiter2-01.jpg

orbiter2-02.jpg

orbiter2-03.jpg

Orbiter 2 did not disappoint. The first launch was perfect; the rocket went up fast and straight, shed its spent boosters in a six-fold flower and kept going. This was a considerable improvement over Orbiter 1, which often stalled out right after SRB jettison (as the liquid engines strained to lift full tanks) unless the pilot immediately went to full throttle. Jeb described it as 'one heck of a ride.' The upper stage eventually achieved an eccentric but stable orbit with an apokee slightly over 328 km and a period of almost an hour. (Bob spent most of that time praying.) There was ample fuel remaining for a deorbit burn, though the crew, not used to such a high orbit, overshot the recovery area.

'That rocket\'s a wonder,' Jeb told the press. 'She could probably lift double the payload we got on her now. Somethin\' for the boys to think about.' He went on to say, 'Bigger, higher, faster - we\'ve done that. Now I\'m thinking... longer.'

Orbiter 2\'s next flight did not start as smoothly. Jeb was, by his own admission, 'pretty sloppy' with the orbital insertion: slewing the upper stage around, wasting fuel, bleeding off speed, and almost dropping back into the atmosphere. His task was further complicated by the need to keep slapping the other two kerbonauts\' hands away from the ABORT handle. Once Jeb finally had the craft under control, he proceeded to put it into the best orbit yet, with an apokee just a hair under 50 km and a perikee of 48.5 km... and kept it there for the next eighteen hours* and thirty-odd orbits, shattering all previous records. After splashdown and recovery, all three kerbonauts had to be taken out of the capsule on stretchers; Bob and Bill were babbling, while Jeb promptly went to sleep, saying that he hadn\'t been able to get any shut-eye with the other two going on like that.

[*Note that this feat was accomplished before time compression, by letting the game run all night and the next day.]

(Once we have a Mun to shoot for, I\'ll post my designs for getting there.)

Mechworks Aerospace was contracted to design rockets for KSP on the thought that their previous successes with unmanned test rockets would provide the know-how to meet KSP\'s specifications. their frist craft did not disappoint, successfully launching it\'s crew into low orbit, then returning to Kerth intact. the ATLAS (Atmospheric Transition-LArge S.c.u.d.)-I was considered a total success, and commissions went out for a payload-capable rocket to launch satellites and other devices.

atlas1.jpg

It was here, however, that the prestigious company encountered a run of extremely bad luck.

the new model, designated \'Venture-I,\' was scrapped when the prototype exploded on the pad prior to launch for reasons unknown.

Vent1b.jpg

Vent1a.jpg

a revised version, designated \'Venture-II,\' suffered the same fate as the original, exploding prior to launch.

Vent2.jpg

further revisions were made, however the \'Venture-III\' again suffered what was beginning to be called \'the Works Curse,\' exploding prior to launch.

Vent3.jpg

having thought to have located the source of the persistent failure, a fundamental design flaw in the upper boost stage, and beginning to run out of time and funds, the \'Venture-IV\' scrapped the secondary boost stage entirely, however still failed to launch due to insufficiently reinforced engine design.

Vent4.jpg

the Venture-V, was, to no-one\'s surprise, an utter failure, and the CEO of Mechworks ordered the Venture project ended. a team of experts was then created, and the ill-fated, but nearly successful \'Jupiter project\' would begin.

Vent5.jpg

the Jupiter-I was a massive behemoth, and seemed capable of achieving any orbit desired. however, like the Venture line before it, the Jupiter line was to suffer its share of problems. the prototype collapsed on the pad, as the main thruster pods proved incapable of supporting the beast\'s massive weight.

Jup1a.jpg

Jup1b.jpg

Jup1c.jpg

the Jupiter-II would fail to leave the launch pad, proving the generated thrust insufficient to lift the craft. the original, behemoth design was then scrapped, and a new chassis built from the ground up.

Jup2a.jpg

Jup2b.jpg

Jup2c.jpg

this new design would be designated the \'Jupiter-III,\' and suffered a critical structural failure prior to launch.

Jup3.jpg

the Jupiter-IV, on the other hand, was the Mechlab\'s first taste of success since the ATLAS-I, and achieved and altitude of almost 5000 meters before tilting inexorably towards Kearth for unknown reasons. if the issue could be corrected, the scientists announced, it would be capable of achieving heavy payload lift easily.

Jup4.jpg

the Jupiter-V was largely unchanged from its previous incarnation, save the addition of numerous stabilizing fins in an attempt to eleiminate the \'list\' that had been a problem in the IV. these measures would alleviate, but not eliminate, the list, and the mark-V successfully flew on-course up to 8000 meters before once again listing to one side.

Jup5.jpg

thinking the craft\'s \'top-heavy\'-ness was to blame for the tilt, several of the redundant stages were removed from the Jupiter-VI. this seemed to help, as the craft was almost capable of entering Kearth\'s Exosphere before the list forsed it bact to landing.

Jup6.jpg

the Jupiter-VII would use a larger, more robust engine in an attempt to \'out-power\' the list, in order to make the persistent problem into a feature that would put the craft on an \'orbit course\' without Kerbal or computer input. however, this attempt also met with failure, and the team began re-examining the design en tota to spot flaws they may have missed. the thruster design was redone for a proposed \'Jupiter-VIII,\' but was never completed as the company briefly lost the contract to Jebidiah LTD, who offered their own \'V-1\' design.

Jup7.jpg

Mechworks Aerospace won the contract back after Jebidiah LTD\'s payloadless craft suffered a string of spectacular failures, and turned back to their only successful design; the ATLAS, which by that point had become the staple of KSP\'s launch capacity.

the \'ATLAS-II\' was envisioned as the ATLAS-I\'s bigger, stronger brother, and proved to be largely successful. while incapable of carrying heavy payloads, the ATLAS-II was capable of exiting the atmosphere, entering a stable orbit, releasing its small payload, and then returning its crew to Kearth safely.

atlas2.jpg

emboldened by their second success, Mechworks then turned to another issue: while perfectly capable of launching small satellites, the ATLAS-II was incapable of carrying heavier payloads.

thus, the ATLAS-III was developed, intended to carry all but the heaviest of payloads into near-Kearth orbit before returning its crew to the ground. however, due to some oversight issues and insufficient structural bracing, the ALTAS-III suffered critical integrity failure some ten seconds after launch.

atlas3.jpg

the ATLAS-IV was largely unchanged from its predecessor, featuring only improved structural bracing and a re-designed payload area. however after launch it was discovered to have the same listing issues as the Jupiter series before it.

atlas4.jpg

frustrated with this persistent problem, the labs went for a \'brute-force\' solution, simply bolting large external stabilizing systems to the outside of the craft.

atlas5.jpg

however, the list persisted, and Mechworks Aerospace is now offering a reward to anykerb who can solve the issue.

seriously guys, this tilting thing is really starting to piss me off. any hints?

I\'m also including several payload craft used in the failed rockets. you\'re free to use them.

attached are the craft files for the ATLAS five and two orbiters. the first orbiter is for 3-meter shells, the second fits in 2-meter ones.

orbiter1.jpg

orbiter2.jpg

you will need the obvious rocket parts, triple chute, radial stack decoupler, solar collectors, and the payload panels in order to use these.

• 1 month later...

(and now, as promised, the continuation:)

Munatic 1 was a further development of the very successful Orbiter 2 design. The first stage was expanded from 2 to 3 meters, with a corresponding increase in the size of the six attached SRBs. A mid-stage was added, retaining the upper 2 meter tank and adding a Doubledown 'Twin Bertha' engine. The upper stage was retooled again, replacing the custom extended tank and Kerbaldyne KX-2 orbital engine with a standard FL-T500 tank and LV-T30 engine along with the newly-invented RCS quad thrusters and tankage for them; the overall size of the stage remained more or less the same.

munatic1-01.jpg

As no lander was yet available - even the design was still being settled on, with various contractors submitting their own proposals - it was decided to send the rocket to the Mun and back in this configuration, a 'practice run' or 'dress rehearsal' for the real thing. Bill Kerman came down sick a week before the launch, and so the backup crew of kerbonauts were at the controls when Munatic 1 lifted off the pad. The flight was surprisingly smooth and uneventful, considering the mission; from parking orbit to trans-munar injection to decelerating into munar orbit, the crew did it all by the numbers. Observations and photographs were made of the munar surface to help determine landing sites for future missions. After three orbits, Munatic 1 fired its upper stage engine again and headed for home.

Disaster struck at the very end of the mission, when a misheard instruction caused the premature jettisoning of the service module, stranding the crew in orbit. Fortunately, Jeb Kerman was on hand at KSC and led a round-the-clock rescue effort. A partially-assembled Orbiter 2 stack was completed with any parts they could find, hastily fueled, and moved to the pad for an accelerated launch. Jeb was alone in the capsule for this mission; the plan was to match orbits and transfer the Munatic 1 crew over in suits, followed by a cramped but survivable re-entry. Once he was actually in orbit, however, Jeb decided to hold this option in reserve as a 'Plan B.' His first, and ultimately successful, solution was to make hard contact with the other capsule (with a brief EVA to secure them with a tether) and use his retros to gently deorbit both spacecraft. The two pods splashed down within kilometers of each other, and both crews received a hero\'s welcome at KSC.

[The stranding-in-space thing actually happened - my goof, and par for the course in KSP, but I figured Jeb wouldn\'t just let them sit up there until their air ran out. And this is just the sort of Crazy Awesome thing he\'d try, if the game engine let him.]

The second Munatic mission was ambitious, to say the least. With the lander design still stuck in development hell, the 'bigger is better' faction in the program had come up with a design that could send any conceivable payload to the Mun with fuel to spare. This was accomplished by adding a second mid-stage to the stack, which now exceeded the height of the gantry. The first and only flight of Munatic 2 called to mind the many failed attempts to come up with a viable Orbiter 2: the overloaded rocket lurched off the pad, struggled to gain speed and altitude, and finally broke apart at its weakest point, the coupling between the first and second mid-stages. The crew was able to eject and parachute to safety, while a train of rocket stages (still carrying most of their fuel) plunged into the ocean behind them.

munatic2-01.jpg

Munatic 2 on the pad

Another round of yelling and finger-pointing, again calling to mind the Orbiter 2 trials, followed. It didn\'t help that this embarrassment came on the heels of the 'successful failure' of Munatic 1. It was eventually decided to go back to that earlier design, at least for now. Even Jeb acknowledged, 'There\'s nothin\' wrong with that rocket. It got those boys to the Mun and back just fine. That\'s what we need, not ways to kill a lotta fish.'

As a result, Munatic 3 was almost identical to Munatic 1. The only modifications were to the upper stage: some of the engineers, tired of waiting for the committee, took the 'back to basics' order of the day to heart and went down to their local hardware store. There they bought a ladder and the parts to make four sturdy legs, which they proceeded to weld to the side and base. The rest of the weekend was spent swapping out the LV-T30 for a hand-built engine which was smaller and less powerful, but much lighter and more efficient. (One of the engineers had been working on it as a hobby, there being little demand or interest in the KSP for such things.) On Munday they presented the ad-hoc lander to their superiors, who mostly stared and mumbled to each other... until Jeb stepped forward, praised them for their initiative, and gave them all a raise.

Five days later, Munatic 3 thundered off the pad into a clear blue sky... and history.

munatic3-03.jpgmunatic3-04.jpg

Even though this was his first time flying an actual Munatic, not a simulator, Jeb handled the launch and orbital insertion like the pro he was. His TMI was so smooth that he was able to retain the mid-stage all the way to the Mun and use its remaining fuel to enter a stable munar orbit, where it was left as a comm relay. (Engineers had imagined this possibility only a few days before the mission, just enough time to weld on another couple of antennas and some tin foil.)

The landing sites were all in mares, wide areas of darker and (it was hoped) flatter ground. One of these was close to the Mun\'s equator, in easy reach of Munatic 3\'s current orbit, but also close to the day/night line. As commander, Jeb chose instead to land at the alternate site to the north, in full sunlight. Time and fuel was spent to tilt the craft\'s orbit accordingly.

munatic3-16.jpgmunatic3-19.jpg

Soon it was time to begin the descent. The thrust of the new engine was weak, but so was the Mun\'s gravity; it also sipped fuel rather than gulping it, giving the pilot plenty of hover time over the target. Bursts from the RCS thrusters were used to further slow the craft. Bill counted down the distance, Bob held his breath until he passed out (missing the rest of the landing) and Jeb tried to concentrate on the ball, the speed indicator, and the view out the window all at once. There was a gentle thump; Jeb cut the throttle, checked everything one more time, and gave Kouston the good news:

'Munatic Base here, we made it. We are on the [deleted] Mun, over.'

munatic3-22.jpgmunatic3-23.jpg

Bill\'s cheering woke up Bob, who joined in once he understood the situation. There was plenty of cheering in Kouston too, before everyone got back to business. The crew was given permission to depressurize the capsule and make their way down the ladder. Jeb was the first one down, of course; he actually leapt from the bottom and landed with a mighty whoop. 'Hoooo! That was fun!' were thus the first words spoken on the munar surface.

The three kerbonauts spent almost an hour on the surface: planting the flag, taking photographs and measurements, bouncing around the lander in the low gravity, and leaving lots of corrugated footprints in the grey soil. When it was time to come back in and prepare for the return, Jeb lingered at the foot of the ladder for a last look around. 'So long, Mun. We\'ll be back real soon.'

munatic3-29.jpgmunatic3-30.jpg

Soon after liftoff, it became clear that Jeb intended to abandon the flight manual and 'wing it' as far as getting back to Kerbin. First he put Munatic 3 in an unusual retrograde orbit, then made several aborted attempts to extend it in the proper direction and inclination. When the craft finally left the Mun\'s gravity well, new calculations required further course corrections. All of these long burns ate into the reserve left over from the landing. Munatic 3 eventually settled into a high orbit, and Jeb was still trying to tighten it up and reduce the inclination when the main tank finally ran dry. Bill and Bob stared at the gauge for a moment, then began screaming in unison. Jeb hushed them: 'Knock it off! We still got another tank, hardly been touched. It may not be pretty, but I promise, I will get us down.'

Jeb was, of course, referring to the RCS fuel. It was just enough to bring the perikee down into the upper atmosphere, where aerobraking would take care of the rest. There was no hope of hitting the recovery area; in fact, there was at least a 50/50 chance of coming down on land rather than water. There had been many (many) crash-tests of the capsule with dummies inside, which suggested good odds of survival for both... but like landing on the Mun, it had never actually been done before. Still, it was their only shot.

After running the RCS quads dry as well, Jeb jettisoned and christened the empty landing stage in the same breath: 'Farewell, Oddity, and we thank you.'

munatic3-32.jpgmunatic3-35.jpg

The long, shallow re-entry of Munatic 3 was easier on the kerbonauts, but meant more anxious waiting for them and for ground control in Kouston, cut off by radio blackout. The projected landing was on the other side of the world, somewhere in Kermany; recovery teams were being mustered there with all available speed, but it would still take some time to reach the crew... and that was if the capsule didn\'t hit a mountain or something.

To everyone\'s relief, the parachute opened on schedule and the crew of Munatic 3 landed safely (if roughly) in a grassy meadow in the foothills of the Kerman Alps. Their round trip had taken just over 20.5 hours, with two thirds of that on the troubled return leg.

munatic3-38.jpg

'Stage 8': SRBs; 'Stage 6': lower stage; 'Stage 4': mid stage, in munar orbit, shortly before landing; 'Stage 2', munar module Oddity

munatic3-39.jpg

munatic3-40.jpg

[Munatic 1 uses SP and Silisko / SIDR & Wobbly parts ; Munatic 3 also has lander legs and an engine imported from the Silisko Edition pack. Munatic 2 included for the morbidly curious, but don\'t say I didn\'t warn you.]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Here\'s my Friable Lotus Super Heavy Lifter Prototype (yes i haven\'t even finished tweaking it yet but the results are in.

4.3 big fuel canisters worth of fuel in orbit, over 30 salvageable parts inclusive of 4 of the mid type (maneuverable, thrust 175) engines. That\'s enough to make 4 separate functional landers ;P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.