[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

Heya! @DMagic & all!

I am really enjoying this mod in career playthrough, its pure awesomeness.

... however - here goes a small ModuleManager patch, that disables "Antenna" ability on this mod's Antennas leaving them as pure science experiments.
Why? :)  Because they make stock antennas look like joke :)  Nah, they kinda break balance in career because they appear much earlier on CTT than stock dishes.

If Dmagic adds or references it in OP, that would be simply awesome - but it doesn't have to happen, so just sharing.

// removes transmitter ability from all sigint antennas and moisure sensors.

@PART[dmSIGINT*]:NEEDS[DMagicOrbitalScience]
{
 @description=A grossly oversized radio signals intelligence dish that can be used for listening in to every imaginable from of communication, discovering radio anomalies on a planet's surface, or just impressing your neighbor.
 %noAntenna=true
 -MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}
}

@PART[dm*SoilMoisture]:NEEDS[DMagicOrbitalScience]
{
 @description=This orbital sensor deploys a large L-band microwave detector comprised of 82 individual antenna elements. It can be used to study the water content of the upper soil layers and the salinity levels of large water features. Can only be used in low orbit.
 %noAntenna=true
 -MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}
}

Save this in your Gamedata as "Dmagic_sigint_remove.cfg" (or any other name). The license and copyright belong/reassigned to Dmagic of course, I weave any.

Edited by Kerbal101
updated 1

I think the problems with the contracts recognizing orbit might stem from using the OnOrbit event, which is used for the progression rewards, instead of a more generic event, like Situation Change. The other problem is that the contract doesn't communicate what it's doing properly. The general rule is that one contract parameter should track one thing, but here, the part request parameter is tracking both valid parts and the vessel being in orbit around the target planet. If tracking the orbit worked seamlessly then it wouldn't be a problem, but obviously it doesn't always work right.

@ioresult Hollow colliders are a real drain on performance. You can't really make hollow, or concave colliders, so really what happens is that you have to use lots of simple convex colliders. Since the SIGINT fairing shells aren't customizable in any way there is never really any need to interact with the shells, so they are left as a simple collider. To further complicate things, the aero-effects triggered by the folded up dish absolutely destroy performance during launch, so the mesh and its colliders are actually turned off when fairing shells are in place.

@Kerbal101 That looks good. You should also set the "noAntenna" field of the DMSIGINT module to true. That will hide any fields and events related to the antenna functions. You might also want to disable the antenna on all of the soil moisture parts, those are basically large arrays of communications antennas and so also have the same functions, and the same "noAntenna" field.

@DMagic Thank you! I don't see any "noAntenna" field via text-search (grep), but it reports one match in "DMagic.dll" so I guess its internal value? Let me correct my original post and thank you again!

Edit: pasted the code and checked in-game, seems to work.

Edited by Kerbal101

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious to try this mod, but my fear is that it may be overpowered in a career save (specifically, that it will allow access to too many science points too easily).  Anyone with experience with this mod mind providing me their thoughts on this matter?

26 minutes ago, ble210 said:

I'm curious to try this mod, but my fear is that it may be overpowered in a career save (specifically, that it will allow access to too many science points too easily).  Anyone with experience with this mod mind providing me their thoughts on this matter?

Depends how you want to balance things. I've never found it to be much of an issue but I almost always play with Community Tech Tree (or RP-0) which needs a LOT more science to unlock.

Another way you could reduce the rate of science gain would be to turn the science rewards from contracts way down in custom settings or maybe use one of the administration building strategies to turn science points earned into funds or reputation. Then there are mods to change the science multipliers from the different bodies.

6 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Depends how you want to balance things. I've never found it to be much of an issue but I almost always play with Community Tech Tree (or RP-0) which needs a LOT more science to unlock.

Another way you could reduce the rate of science gain would be to turn the science rewards from contracts way down in custom settings or maybe use one of the administration building strategies to turn science points earned into funds or reputation. Then there are mods to change the science multipliers from the different bodies.

Great, thank you for your response.  I'll be starting a new career using the community tech tree, and I'll use admin strategies if I feel science is coming too easily with Orbital Science.

On 18.07.2017 at 7:20 AM, ble210 said:

Great, thank you for your response.  I'll be starting a new career using the community tech tree, and I'll use admin strategies if I feel science is coming too easily with Orbital Science.

I'm playing with this plus some other mods adding science (sounding rockets, station science among them) and with science gain turned down to 30%. I got a nice setup for myself as I in my previous playthrough I was rushing extremely fast through tech tree.

I've now landed probes on 4 inner planets, landed kerbals on Duna and I'm mostly done with techs on 500 level and getting some from 1000 level. My first set of probes have just been sent to Plock (playing with OPM) but they'll get there in 23 years :confused:

Main mods are strategia, orbital science, scansat, OPM, near future, spaceY, LET.

It is a very good setup, very happy with it.

Has anyone found any asteroids other than the 'stony' type? I've yet to come across any at all. I have custom asteroids installed, and have just been checking asteroids in Kerbin's SOI, and every one has been stony. Do you have to go further out to get other types, or is it perhaps bugged?

I'm confused about how the mass of two parts interact. I'm trying to pair the Multi-Spectral imaging system and the orbital telescope opposite each other but keep neutral torque on the ship. I had already increased the MSIS up to Mass .03, so it's mass is the same as the Orbital Telescope. When I put them opposite each other I'm getting torque even though their mass is the same. What other factors would play into this? Here's a pic of a probe with the parts offset enough to achieve 0 torque. You can see I had to offset it quite a distance.

My best guess is because the telescope is larger (sticks out close to twice as far) so it's mass is creating a longer lever arm. Looking for confirmation or another answer :) 

SXt534A.png

Edited by Tyko

50 minutes ago, Tyko said:

My best guess is because the telescope is larger (sticks out close to twice as far) so it's mass is creating a longer lever arm.

This might very well be it.

Also, if I remember correctly, some parts are physicsless in their config, so they just add their weight to their parent part they are attached to.

59 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

This might very well be it.

Also, if I remember correctly, some parts are physicsless in their config, so they just add their weight to their parent part they are attached to.

Good thought. I'll check that tonight

13 hours ago, Rodger said:

Has anyone found any asteroids other than the 'stony' type? I've yet to come across any at all. I have custom asteroids installed, and have just been checking asteroids in Kerbin's SOI, and every one has been stony. Do you have to go further out to get other types, or is it perhaps bugged?

All the asteroids sent towards Kerbin are stony - maybe a teeny percent of chance they are something else, I'm not sure never checked and never seen anything but stony. Trojans are 99.9% carbonacous, whereas Main Belt Asteroids can be stony, carbonaceous or metallic (rare). Further out by Eeloo (or Urlum/Sarnus and beyond if you have OPM installed) you'll find icy-organic asteroids. And of course comets are usually comet-type

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MerlinsMaster said:

Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me how to take multi-spectral images?  I'm using the SCAN Multispectral Sensor.  Is that the right instrument for this?  Because I only get the option to start or stop a scan, nothing to "take an image".

The correct part is the "Multi-Spectral Imaging Platform" and the Universal Storage equivalent (if you have US installed ) - or Trixie if you have ProbesPlus by Coatl Aerospace installed.

3 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

The correct part is the "Multi-Spectral Imaging Platform" and the Universal Storage equivalent (if you have US installed ) - or Trixie if you have ProbesPlus by Coatl Aerospace installed.

Okay, thanks.  It would be a lot easier, for me at least, if Dmagic had pictures next to the descriptions of his parts, and what kind of scan they performed, lol.

1 hour ago, MerlinsMaster said:

Okay, thanks.  It would be a lot easier, for me at least, if Dmagic had pictures next to the descriptions of his parts, and what kind of scan they performed, lol.

Well there is the in-game KSPedia:

Spoiler

53dB2YJ.png

The magboom info says it can do ore scan with an orbit between 50k and 80k with 60k being ideal. That is what it says in the VAB part info. Put one in orbit of Mun and just under 60k and it says orbit too high. If you try to start the scan anyway, a second line shows that seems to say scansat is also saying the orbit is too high. 

Also found this section in the cfg:

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleResourceScanner
        MaxAbundanceAltitude = 60000
        RequiresUnlock = True
        ScannerType = 0
        ResourceName = Ore
    }

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleResourceScanner
		MaxAbundanceAltitude = 60000
		RequiresUnlock = True
		ScannerType = 0
		ResourceName = Ore
	}

So what is the correct orbit range?

Edited by Vorg

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy. I used to use DMagic in the past and never had any issues with it. I've got a newish install going with a stable assortment of mods, but I just tried Probes Plus and the DMagicScienceAnimate folder is causing ksp to crash. The game loads fine when I remove it. I tried DMagic Orbital Science on its own and also experienced the crash.

I was wondering if anyone else was having a problem like me and if this would be the right place to leave an output log or crash.dmp for a little assistance.

Edit: It seems that it was a bundled older version of DMagicScienceAnimate that was causing the issue. Not to worry.

Edited by Slamnam

Hi, I've just loaded up my saved game after not playing for a week - and a load of my ships and stations have not loaded because the magnetometer boom and gamma spec box are missing!  Literally nothing has changed since I last played this.  I've uninstalled and re-installed this but it still happens.  But I can see the boom in my parts list (though the gamma experiment seems to be genuinely missing).  It took me so much time and effort to build my stations etc. after already starting from scratch once for a different reason I REALLY do not want to lose all this.

Is anyone having this same issue or does this sound familiar?  Obviously more info may be needed which I can provide if someone wants it.  Thanks in advance for any help!