[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

@DMagic not complaining (it's actually a little funny)... but the first available "spysat" should probably be tweaked for atmospheric reentry... it was an accident, but when i came back into kerbin, not only did the extended dish survive, but it had no effect on the drag ratio (no reentry flipping) and no effect on CoM (when the parachutes deployed the sat was straight up and down with the dish point dead west)... heres a couple of pics.

DMagic Orbital Science version 1.3.9 is out; get it on SpaceDock.

It has been updated for KSP 1.3.

There are several fixes for the SIGINT and Soil Moisture radio antennas in this update.

• They should always transmit and deploy properly
  • The SIGINT dishes no longer transmit when broken
  • An option to enable or disable the transmitter function of these parts has been added
    • This function is persistent for each part and can be set within the editor
    • If you want to permanently disable them you will have to edit the cfg files or make a MM patch to do the same
      • Add the line "allowTransmission = False" to the DMSIGINT or DMSoilMoisture modules
  • All dishes have been set to Relay and the part upgrade functions have been removed

As for problems with the anomaly scanner (Anomalous Signal Scanner). I'm not sure there is anything unexpected happening, though there could be issues when using Kopernicus planets. There are a few ways that the anomaly scanner works.

Ideally you should collect data from the planet with one of the recon parts first (the Little/Big Brother Telescopes, or the SIGINT dishes), this will scan the planet for all anomalies and is required for any anomaly contracts to be generated (technically, completing the Recon contracts is required, but those require that you collect scans from the planet, so don't cheat). Without a recon scan the anomaly scanner will only function when within loading distance of an anomaly (2.5km) and only for "standard" anomalies. The new radio towers are technically different from other anomalies and don't trigger the required function when they are loaded. But if you complete the recon scan first, then the radio towers can be detected by the anomaly scanner. You can also force the radio towers to be detected by getting withing range, saving, then loading, the anomaly scanner will detect any nearby anomalies (standard or otherwise) when it first loads.

And no, before any asks, I have no plans to localize this in any way. There is way too much text involved and even updating the mod to support localization is more work than I card to put in.

Edited by DMagic

Quick question.  I just updated to 1.3.9, and although I'm seeing the "wedge" experiments (GoreSat, MagBoom, 2Hot, etc) in the unlocked node of the tech tree, they're not appearing in the VAB.

Before the update, they were available in VAB.  Am I missing something here?

I'm still running KSP 1.2.2, in the Engineering Tech Tree.

Cheers!

21 hours ago, DMagic said:

DMagic Orbital Science version 1.3.9 is out; get it on SpaceDock.

It has been updated for KSP 1.3.

18 minutes ago, Slaver0110 said:

I'm still running KSP 1.2.2, in the Engineering Tech Tree.

As the post says, the update is for KSP 1.3.

Edited by DMagic

Is it only me or some of these parts causing my ships to rotate?

An orbital telescope, a boom and an RWPS is attached to a small part (probe core, battery etc) on the top of a 33 ton station. Then it starts to rotate on its own faster and faster. Regardless if the SAS is on or off.

This is much more rapid on a tiny probe, but the 33 ton station does it too in 20-30 second.

Is this is a known bug?

3 minutes ago, kubi said:

An orbital telescope, a boom and an RWPS is attached to a small part (probe core, battery etc) on the top of a 33 ton station. Then it starts to rotate on its own faster and faster. Regardless if the SAS is on or off.

This is much more rapid on a tiny probe, but the 33 ton station does it too in 20-30 second.

Is this is a known bug?

Haven't seen that before.  Would you happen to have a pic of the station in question?  I know occasionally KSP physics can get a bit weird, and cause phantom forces - though I haven't heard many instances lately.

Spoiler
Spoiler

I'm getting a weird message whenever I try to use the XRD, that the drill can't touch the surface (its on a rover at the KSC), but it clearly can (shown below).

http://i.imgur.com/Z7taaH8.png

http://i.imgur.com/RjsKh1Z.png

EDIT: Please ignore the random spolier tags. There's nothing in them, and I can't seem to get rid of them.

Edited by Grenartia

Having the same issue with the XRD. Works fine around the buildings but tried shores and grasslands and get the "cant touch surface" message. Could this be related to the terrain seam improvements?

Side note, this is also happening with the Tarsier Chem Cam (reports no terrain in range bit works around the buildings). Not relevant here bit may give a clue to someone clever.

Version 1.3.10 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It fixes some bugs with ground detection for the XRay and Seismic Hammer experiments.

It also adds an option to disable the science or antenna (to completely remove the antenna functions you will need to delete the ModuelDataTransmitter) functions for the SIGINT and Soil Moisture parts. This can be used, for instance, with @Dunrana's Buzzard Collector to get around having any science events and action groups.

On 6/5/2017 at 11:10 AM, kubi said:

Try pressing Alt-X to clear trim. (right shift x on linux)

On 5/31/2017 at 1:59 PM, DMagic said:

All dishes have been set to Relay and the part upgrade functions have been removed

Was that broken? Cause I was never quite sure if my dishes got used as relays, and I know I bought the upgrade. I'd never once seen them do it.

Greatly relieved that there may be a fix for it. Just hoping I will not encounter problems merging said fix into my 1.2.2 install, as It would be too much trouble to upgrade KSP to 1.3 

Some of the parts have a transmitter. RemoteTech simply deletes every ModuleDataTransmitter it finds,

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]]:FOR[RemoteTech]
{
	!MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]{}
}

and then @tomek.piotrowskiputs in its own thing.

In the end we can always just put another antenna on the vessel of course, but since e.g. the Oversize Signals Intelligence Satellite is a handy verymuchlong-range antenna, adding compatibility on either end would be very much appreciated. :)

42 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

Did the part not say something about 100m deep somewhere?

It does say depth threshold 100m I assumed this meant below 100m it was considered far enough down for deep science versus shallow science. Does it mean it won't work below 100m? Did I have it wrong?

YOVkSRN.jpg