[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

D-Magic, would it be possible to introduce a science boost for Kerbal-based experiments (EVA/crew reports, surface sample) based on the crew of the spacecraft? This would make multi-Kerbal crews useful and finally give a reason, other than role playing, to unlock multi-crew pods in career mode. I imagine it'd also be wise to introduce diminishing returns to this boost, so that 100-man ships doing a report on the KSP launch pad aren't OP. In the case of EVA report and surface sample, the boost would be based on the crew of the last spacecraft the experiment performing Kerbal belonged too (if it still exists, so that a crash survivor doesn't get a boost from his dead colleague).

D-Magic, would it be possible to introduce a science boost for Kerbal-based experiments (EVA/crew reports, surface sample) based on the crew of the spacecraft? This would make multi-Kerbal crews useful and finally give a reason, other than role playing, to unlock multi-crew pods in career mode. I imagine it'd also be wise to introduce diminishing returns to this boost, so that 100-man ships doing a report on the KSP launch pad aren't OP. In the case of EVA report and surface sample, the boost would be based on the crew of the last spacecraft the experiment performing Kerbal belonged too (if it still exists, so that a crash survivor doesn't get a boost from his dead colleague).

I respectfully disagree. I'm already getting way too much science in the standard career mode as it is. In my next career game, I think I'm going to have to double the cost of all science tiers to make it more realistic. If you do you do this, at least make it optional so that people can turn it off please.

D-Magic, would it be possible to introduce a science boost for Kerbal-based experiments (EVA/crew reports, surface sample) based on the crew of the spacecraft?

I imagine that this is possible, but I'm not sure how I would actually go about doing it. It's an interesting idea though; I think it makes the most sense for EVA and crew reports. Surface and asteroid samples probably shouldn't matter as much.

As for science bloat, I'm hoping that 0.24 will alleviate that a little bit. One thing that I'll take a quick look at before updating is any changes to the cost of stock science parts. I'll try to align my parts to be consistent with stock prices, but maybe a bit higher depending on the total science potential (the telescope and imaging platform have a pretty huge pool of available science because they can make orbital biome-dependent results). But any serious balancing based on the career mode changes will have to wait. I'll try to get the next update out pretty quickly to address that and to setup some initial contracts and such.

And if you really want to make things a bit harder you can always use my celestial body science multiplier editor. You can lower the science multipliers to whatever values you want. In particular, lowering the Mun and Minmus' values can really make a big difference.

I've also discovered that I probably need to increase the cost and/or mass of the Universal Storage goo and materials bay parts over their stock counterparts because it's so much easier to take 4 or 8 of them with you. The stock parts are pretty big, so when you cram a bunch of the US versions into a relatively small space it really throws off the balance.

Update to V0.8.2

Download from CurseForge

9qmuVnd.jpg

New update adds two brand new science experiments.

- Multispectral imaging platform; used from space to study planets, moons and asteroid.

- Solar particle collector; used from space to study solar particles, planetary dust, and asteroid particles.

Eight new parts added for use with Paul Kingtiger and Daishi's Universal Storage mod.

- The four existing parts have been reworked to fit into the new science bay US wedge.

- Three new stock experiments are included: Mystery goo containment pod, Materials bay, and the Atmospheric sensor.

- A new version of my optical telescope is also included in US wedge form.

Module manager is now required to use the Universal Storage parts. They will configure themselves to be available for use if US is installed.

SCANsat modules will also be automatically added to the anomaly sensor (the BTDT SCANsat module) and the Multispectral imaging platform (the biome/anomaly SCANsat module) using Module Manager. The old, SCANsat specific parts are no longer included in the main download.

All parts are now using Model {} nodes and must be placed in the correct location:

KSP/GameData/DMagic Orbital Science/

A new system for asteroid science has been put in place. It allows for limited amounts of repeated experiments to be performed on different asteroids. It is fairly rudimentary at this stage and can be exploited. But in most cases it should allow for only one experiment of each type per asteroid. Repeat experiments can then be performed at several different asteroids.

There are a number of other minor tweaks, bug fixes (and given the amount of code-rework, probably some new bugs), and balancing changes. The Exobiology Core Drill can now only run three experiments, instead of six as before, old science data should be in continued save files. Costs have been given an initial balancing pass, but will probably need to be modified further.

I have also deliberately altered the ScienceDefs files so that science monitoring/activating mods won't be able to start my experiments unless they do so using the proper methods. ScienceAlert is the only mod I'm aware of that does this. Complain to the other authors if you don't like it. :wink:

Check the first post of this thread for more information and a full preview gallery of the update.

Change Log:

v0.8.2
- Updated for KSP v0.24
- New multispectral imaging platform experiment
- New solar particle collector experiment
- Rudimentary version of multiple-use asteroid experiments added
- Experiments can be repeated on several asteroids, but only once on any given asteroid
- New versions of all Universal Storage parts
- Parts are now installed in the standard empty US science bay
- These require that Universal Storage be installed correctly and in the right location to function properly
- Universal Storage and SCANsat compatible parts configure themselves automatically if the requisite mod in installed
- Module Manager required to work
- SCANsat parts no longer included on separate part files
- External science monitoring/activating mods now require explicit support from me to function properly
- Only mods the have a 'deploy experiment' type of button affected
- All experiments are EVA deployable
- A few, mostly minor bug fixes
- Max atmospheric height is now properly determined
- Experimental situation multipliers for flying high and in space high now use their proper values
- This is most obvious for the sun; in space high has a multiplier of 2, in space low has a multiplier of 11
- General cleanup for inefficient animations and part models
- Significant code rewrite for most modules
- In addition to several bug fixes, several exciting new bugs have probably been added

v0.8.1
- Hotfix for bug causing you to temporarily lose science reports after landing, taking off, or otherwise changing vessel situation

v0.8
- Added asteroid science system
- Asteroid specific reports can be collected while grappled to, or within 2km of an asteroid
- Reports and science values vary with asteroid class
- Asteroid experiments are only counted once per asteroid class (your current planet and experimental situation are ignored)
- Four new parts for use in combination with the Universal Storage mod
- Replacements for magnetometer and RPWS; both are functionally identical to their default counterparts
- Combinations of the four basic science experiments; PresMat/2Hot and Accel/GravMax
- Asteroid reports available for Accel/GravMax
- Slight changes in atmospheric detection; PresMat/2Hot measurements can be taken while aerobraking, on escape trajectory etc...
- Magnetometer simulation extended to all planets and moons; should also work on mod planets
- Simulation update frequency reduced; should be little/no chance for performance impact
- A few minor bug fixes
- Clarified limitations on Core Drill usage in the in-game part description
- Additional science reports for asteroid science; typo fixes for old reports

v0.7.5
- Updated for KSP v0.23.5
- New RPWS model and texture
- Existing vessels should still work, but the RPWS might end up attached backwards
- New telescope texture, some adjustments made to the existing model
- Resized parts so that they are all more similar in scale
- Added resource usage to drill, laser, anomaly scanner and magnetometer
- Can be configured in the part.cfg file
- Limited magnetosphere simulation for Kerbin
- Values read-out in right-click menu, can be disabled in the part.cfg file
- Several changes to plugin code
- Exploits for drill fixed
- Lab reset for anomaly scanner should work as it does for stock parts
- Most parts moved onto universal science module
- Several default science reports added, should work on any mod planets that include ScienceParams values
- Drill should work on any planet with an atmosphere now
- Added reports for Krag's PlanetFactory planets

v0.7.1:
- Added SCANsat BTDT function to alternate version of the anomaly sensor.
- Can now be used for both custom anomaly science scanning and SCANsat scanning.
- Part has a different name and must be purchased separately in the R&D center.
- Added my own telescope module to the SCANsat version.
- Details are the same as for the anomaly sensor.
- Both parts are found in the alternate, SCANsat folder.
- No changes to the default parts.

v0.7:
- New anomalous signal scanner. Designed for rovers and spaceplanes.
- Used to detect and study anomalies.
- Single use only; return to Kerbin for complete study of the science report, or transmit and reset with science lab.
- New textures for the magnetometer and laser; they fit in better with the recent parts.
- Fixed .cfg file and plugin bugs for the laser and magnetometer
- Laser returned to its proper tech node - will require repurchase, but should not affect existing vessels.
- A few minor changes in other part.cfg files; dropped the mass of the telescope.
- New science reports for the anomaly scanner, fixed many typos in old reports.

v0.6:
- New biological activity core drill. Designed for rovers and landers.
- Features multiple storage containers.
- Can be used up to six times before needing to be returned to Kerbin or reset with a science lab.
- Two different animation modes, used for rovers or landers. Animation dependent on the drill's orientation relative to its parent part - preview animation in the VAB/SPH - use cubic octagonal struts or other small parts to modify animation behavior.
- New science reports for core drill.
- Included support for Trueborn's Custom Biomes plugin. * Requires separate download
- Reports for custom biomes for the laser, optical telescope and core drill.
- Reduced values for some science experiments.

v0.5:
- New surface scanning laser instrument. Designed for rovers and landers.
- Changes in magnetometer and telescope part names to address compatibility issues with other mods (will not be backward compatible without manually changing the names or installing the alternate part folder). Re-purchasing parts in the R&D center is required.
- New model for magnetometer, includes added details to the instruments themselves, cleaner animation, and lower RAM usage due to more efficient use of textures.
- Custom part modules for all parts to address animation and science collection issues:
- Magnetometer and RPWS animations are fully reversible while playing, animation speed for these parts is increased as well.
- Deployed previews are available in the VAB/SPH for all parts
- Attempts to collect science where not possible will trigger a message with suggestions about where to use the instrument; will not play the deploy animation if the part is in the retracted position.
- Transmitting or resetting the instrument will not trigger the retract animation.
- Repeatedly pushing the collect data button/action group will not spam multiple results.
- The laser has only a single, forward animation. Data is collected midway through the animation.
- Edited existing science reports, and added several more. Added full set of surface reports for the laser.

v0.4:
- New textures for all parts.
- Changed non-SCANsat telescope to be the default, for the SCANsat version replace the default scope folder with the alternate folder.
- Tweaks to models and animations for the magnetometer and telescope.
- Add Langmuir probe to RPWS model (should not break existing crafts).
- Added surface reports for the magnetometer, including biome support where available.
- Added biome support for non-SCANsat telescope in low orbit.
- Rearranged tech tree placement; parts moved to earlier nodes.
- Decreased science report values, added and edited science reports.
- Added FxModule to part.cfg to force deployment before science reports can be collected.

v0.3: Initial upload.

Your new Universal Storage parts are fantastic! Love that mysterious glow coming from the Gootubes - you might have to school me in emissives sometime :P

Just a heads up the base science wedge now has a internal mesh toggle on Take 002, so feel free to implement that in your .cfgs.

Your new Universal Storage parts are fantastic! Love that mysterious glow coming from the Gootubes - you might have to school me in emissives sometime :P

My plan was to have this pulsing, blinking, bulge of goo flowing through those tubes, but I could never get it to look right, so I settled for the glowing tubes instead.

I did some initial balancing of part costs. My thinking was to basically match the cost of stock parts, but to add a cost penalty based on potential science gain. So the telescope and imaging platform, which both have 100% transmission and support biome reports from low orbit, are a bit more expensive than the comparable parts (I think I should actually increase their cost a lot more). Whereas the parts that require a bit more work, or have lower potential are somewhat cheaper. The solar particle collector, for example, has a very low transmission rate (you get a big boost from the lab processing though), only allows for four sample to be collected, and doesn't support biomes, so it's a bit cheaper.

The Universal Storage parts are all quite a bit heavier than their standard counterparts. This helps offset the fact that you can easily add so many of them (eight US Science Jr's are easy to fit, whereas eight regular parts take up a huge amount of space), I also reduced the cost a little bit for these.

Let me know about cost balancing; I'll try to update soon with further balancing changes and, I hope, some contracts.

Unfortunately this does not work in the X64 version.

Game starts up. Go to new game, start new game and poof ... it crashes. I have this issue with a number of mods which are marked as working with .24 . And am now loading one by one. This is one of the mods that crashed it.

I can pm crash logs. As attaching is not possible

Game starts up. Go to new game, start new game and poof ... it crashes. I have this issue with a number of mods which are marked as working with .24 . And am now loading one by one. This is one of the mods that crashed it.

It works perfectly for me, the only odd thing is that the US parts vanish after I reload the database. No biggie for the average user though.

What other mods do you have? One could always be marked 'compatible' with the stock game, yet be incompatible with other addons. Or have you removed everything except this one?

I posted the following in the toolbar thread http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60863-0-24-0-Toolbar-1-7-4-Common-API-for-draggable-resizable-buttons-toolbar?p=1282890#post1282890 :

I am having similar issues as Ecat, with and without toolbar :P

Also 64 bit.

Stock works fine.

Some mods work fine sometimes, some combos work, some do not. HAve been busy with it for 2 hours now.

Same issues with mouse.

Have many crash reports, some with Toolbar installedm some without (do not know which is which anymore)

With toolbar the game starts, I can start new game and then click on the toolbar icon and then the game freezes, I cannot click on anything anymore. But the game does not crash, so no crash report.

I am trying out these mods:

* Debrefund 1.0.5

* Kerbal Alarm Clock 2.7.7.0

* Engineer Redux 0.6.2.5

* Dmagic Orbital Science new science parts 0.8.2

* Module Manager 2.2.0

* Universal Storage (US) Core 0.7511

* US Part Catalog

* Part Catalog 3.0 RC5

* Final Frontier 0.5.1 - Details missions individual Kerbals have flown

* Landing Height 1.1 - Shows real height above terrain!

* Remote Tech v1.4.0

* Toolbar 1.7.4

* Chatterer 0.5.9.4

Revert back to modulemanager 2.1.5 and see if that fixes it - I have a hunch. Its included in the US_Core pack if you have trouble finding it, and it shouldn't harm anything. Also check that the modulemanager file in the root Gamedata folder is the only one you have. :)

Edited by Daishi

Dmagic, woudl you be interested with replicating in ksp this types of telescopes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_mirror_telescope

These woudl be perfect for land bases because they require gravity to function.

I imagine that science income woudl be higher if telescope woudl be placed near poles, because it woudl allow to observe same fragment of sky for much longer time.

I haven't done any testing in x64, but there's no particular reason why they shouldn't work. If you can isolate anything in particular let me know.

It works perfectly for me, the only odd thing is that the US parts vanish after I reload the database. No biggie for the average user though.

The module manager method for handling US parts screws this up a little, since they will revert to unresearchable and be invisible in the VAB after reloading the database in game.

Dmagic, woudl you be interested with replicating in ksp this types of telescopes?

That's kind-of nifty. I could always use more surface based parts.

Just want to say, I really love this mod. Thanks.

Thanks. :kiss:

Revert back to modulemanager 2.1.5 and see if that fixes it - I have a hunch. Its included in the US_Core pack if you have trouble finding it, and it shouldn't harm anything. Also check that the modulemanager file in the root Gamedata folder is the only one you have. :)

Thx will try that later or tomorrow. It is a bit late here now :P

I forgot to say great work all the modders are doing btw. It is really amazing!

I loaded up this mod hoping to use it with the universal storage mod, but i cannot for the life of me figure out how to stick the modules into the science bay ~ they do attach into the normal hard points of the storage racks, but they don't attach to the surface of the inside of the science bay module... or am I doing it wrong?

I can't believe I just found this one... awesome.

However there seems to be a problem with the anomalous signal sensor.

If you "Collect Anomalous Data" from the runway (haven't tried elsewhere) at least in the 64 bit version, KSP hangs. It never crashes per se, but it stops responding and windows eventually realizes something is not right and gives you the option to kill it.

The other sensors seem to work fine as far as I can tell (the ones I could test from the runway that is ;)).

The savefile and logfiles are out at: https://docs.google.com/a/elfindreams.com/folderview?id=0B8a1K8EUgZmVQkxab29LU3A2UjA&usp=drivesdk

I loaded up this mod hoping to use it with the universal storage mod, but i cannot for the life of me figure out how to stick the modules into the science bay ~ they do attach into the normal hard points of the storage racks, but they don't attach to the surface of the inside of the science bay module... or am I doing it wrong?

There are eight parts included that are already placed inside of the US science bays, as in, they can't be separated from them; these require module manager to use (so does Universal Storage, so this shouldn't be a problem) and they exist as entirely separate parts from the regular, non-US science parts.

If you want to attach my regular parts in an empty US science bay they should work ok, I've never actually tried that though.

Pictures would help if you're still having problems.

I can't believe I just found this one... awesome.

However there seems to be a problem with the anomalous signal sensor.

If you "Collect Anomalous Data" from the runway (haven't tried elsewhere) at least in the 64 bit version, KSP hangs. It never crashes per se, but it stops responding and windows eventually realizes something is not right and gives you the option to kill it.

This worked fine for me on a clean x64 install. But your log files cutoff just after the anomaly sensor prints to it (it prints out the exact distance and direction to the nearest anomaly whenever you push the collect data button), so it does seem like it's causing something bad to happen.

It does have to go through a bit of math whenever you try to collect data, but it seems like it's getting through all of that if it prints out the information in the debug log. Did you notice if the on-screen message appears after pushing the collect button? It should say something like "Anomalous signal detected approximately 0.5km away to the southeast, get closer for a better signal." in that regular green KSP font. That on-screen message is the last part of that method, and if it's getting through that method there isn't anything afterwards that should cause any problems, at least there isn't anything that really any different from what all of the other parts are doing.

Just a heads up the base science wedge now has a internal mesh toggle on Take 002, so feel free to implement that in your .cfgs.

I thought this meant removing the entire outer and side walls like the other parts. I see what you mean now though. I'll probably rework my parts a bit to make them attach directly to the side walls where appropriate in the next release. I assume that animation is just a scaling thing like the other mesh toggles (it would be great if the real mesh animations would work), I can probably just activate that automatically from my end without any problems.

Edited by DMagic

This worked fine for me on a clean x64 install. But your log files cutoff just after the anomaly sensor prints to it (it prints out the exact distance and direction to the nearest anomaly whenever you push the collect data button), so it does seem like it's causing something bad to happen.

It does have to go through a bit of math whenever you try to collect data, but it seems like it's getting through all of that if it prints out the information in the debug log. Did you notice if the on-screen message appears after pushing the collect button? It should say something like "Anomalous signal detected approximately 0.5km away to the southeast, get closer for a better signal." in that regular green KSP font. That on-screen message is the last part of that method, and if it's getting through that method there isn't anything afterwards that should cause any problems, at least there isn't anything that really any different from what all of the other parts are doing.

I thought this meant removing the entire outer and side walls like the other parts. I see what you mean now though. I'll probably rework my parts a bit to make them attach directly to the side walls where appropriate in the next release. I assume that animation is just a scaling thing like the other mesh toggles (it would be great if the real mesh animations would work), I can probably just activate that automatically from my end without any problems.

Funny you should mention both those things in the same post... I think UC might have something to do with it... but apparently not just UC... I did a long round of testing. A video is being uploaded to youtube that will take an hour or so to upload, I will post a link when it is done. But here is the quick rundown of the test:

Test ONE: I started by taking my lander "For SCIENCE!" apart, removed everything but the top can (and its docking port, ladders, antenna, info box) and put the detector part on it, launched scanned it crashed. [this I did not expect from previous testing... I was making the video to start off with it working... this lead to much more testing]

Test TWO: I stuck the detector part on a standard Capsule, tested and it worked (this was actually something I had one previously).

Test THREE: I stuck the detector part on a fresh lander can, tested and it worked.

Test FOUR: I turned the detector sideways (like it was in Test One) just in case, it worked.

Test FIVE: I stuck an 8 way UC truss and one of the science bays on the same lander from Four (didn't move the detector) and it worked.

Test SIX: I stuck the detector into the science bay and it failed.

Test SEVEN: I started with the craft file from six, removed the detector from the truss, put it back on the can and removed the truss (a variant of what I did for test one)... and it worked.

Test EIGHT: I reloaded Test One, striped everything off but the can and the detector and it worked.

[intermission] I reloaded Test One and retested and it still crashed. I considered drinking.

Test NINE, TEN and ELEVEN: I removed the info box, the ladders and the antenna on separate attempts and it still crashed on all of them.

Test TWELVE: Left with only the docking port and the detector, I stripped the Docking Port off... it worked. (wait, what)

Test THIRTEEN: I put a new docking port back on... it worked.....

Test WTF: I loaded back up Test ELEVEN, poked around inside the can to make sure something didn't sneak in or clip in or something, resaved the ship as Test WTF, launched it and it crashed.

So Test Thirteen and Test Eleven/WTF should be identical. But Thirteen worked, but the others did not.

Maybe you can see something I didn't... I have uploaded the craft files to the same share I previously put the log files: https://76c06fc27e25564f5b309e045db0443942e7211c.googledrive.com/host/0B8a1K8EUgZmVQkxab29LU3A2UjA/ in a directory called Testing

I am also uploading a video of the whole testing session in case you see something I didn't. I will post a link when it is done.

Edited by elfindreams

Funny you should mention both those things in the same post... I think UC might have something to do with it... but apparently not just UC... I did a long round of testing. A video is being uploaded to youtube that will take an hour or so to upload, I will post a link when it is done. But here is the quick rundown of the test:

Test ONE: I started by taking my lander "For SCIENCE!" apart, removed everything but the top can (and its docking port, ladders, antenna, info box) and put the detector part on it, launched scanned it crashed. [this I did not expect from previous testing... I was making the video to start off with it working... this lead to much more testing]

Test TWO: I stuck the detector part on a standard Capsule, tested and it worked (this was actually something I had one previously).

Test THREE: I stuck the detector part on a fresh lander can, tested and it worked.

Test FOUR: I turned the detector sideways (like it was in Test One) just in case, it worked.

Test FIVE: I stuck an 8 way UC truss and one of the science bays on the same lander from Four (didn't move the detector) and it worked.

Test SIX: I stuck the detector into the science bay and it failed.

Test SEVEN: I started with the craft file from six, removed the detector from the truss, put it back on the can and removed the truss (a variant of what I did for test one)... and it worked.

Test EIGHT: I reloaded Test One, striped everything off but the can and the detector and it worked.

[intermission] I reloaded Test One and retested and it still crashed. I considered drinking.

Test NINE, TEN and ELEVEN: I removed the info box, the ladders and the antenna on separate attempts and it still crashed on all of them.

Test TWELVE: Left with only the docking port and the detector, I stripped the Docking Port off... it worked. (wait, what)

Test THIRTEEN: I put a new docking port back on... it worked.....

Test WTF: I loaded back up Test ELEVEN, poked around inside the can to make sure something didn't sneak in or clip in or something, resaved the ship as Test WTF, launched it and it crashed.

So Test Thirteen and Test Eleven/WTF should be identical. But Thirteen worked, but the others did not.

Maybe you can see something I didn't... I have uploaded the craft files to the same share I previously put the log files: https://76c06fc27e25564f5b309e045db0443942e7211c.googledrive.com/host/0B8a1K8EUgZmVQkxab29LU3A2UjA/ in a directory called Testing

I am also uploading a video of the whole testing session in case you see something I didn't. I will post a link when it is done.

Having an issue with Dmagic: All science becomes unavailable when installed with mods (currently trying to narrow which mod it is down). I can't click any experiments in the science mode

Did you perhaps install the community crew report version of sciencedefs? What you describe is what happens, if the sciencedefs file (probably the one in the squad folder) is broken or missing. Either they messed up AGAIN, or maybe you forgot to rename it properly (CFG, not TXT)?