[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

A quick question before I update (Which I think corrects this issue)...can anyone tell me where the Anomalous signal is located on Mun? The contract says 10 S 140 W, but that's not within range of the detector--I want to knock this contract out before updating if possible.

If anyone remembers the location, it'd be much appreciated.

A quick question before I update (Which I think corrects this issue)...can anyone tell me where the Anomalous signal is located on Mun? The contract says 10 S 140 W, but that's not within range of the detector--I want to knock this contract out before updating if possible.

It's there.

If anyone ever wants to know the exact location of an anomaly just look it up on KerbalMaps.

It's there.

If anyone ever wants to know the exact location of an anomaly just look it up on KerbalMaps.

Really? The detector couldn't find it, nor could a cursory glance. It may simply be too small and too far away.

Anyway, I'll consult the guide and get out of your hair.

EDIT: Ah, two degrees south. Additionally--and this isn't your issue--but the most recent update has textures that don't work with playing KSP in (unsupported) OpenGL. That's more a problem with OpenGL, really, than you though.

EDIT EDIT: Nevermind, bad installation on my part! Carry on, sir.

Edited by Synthesis

I'm having problems with the long-term magnetic field contracts. Lately, they've all been spawning with mission lengths longer than the expiration on the contract.

Are you using this: [thread=80220]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80220[/thread], or did you change the deadline setting in the included config file? Other than that this shouldn't happen; contracts for the Mun should be at least around 3x the length of the parameter. It also shouldn't matter if you are using Kerbal or regular time.

Hi DMagic,

Your science mod is outstanding! I've been using it along with Universal Storage to do lots of interesting science. I have just chased down my first anomaly on the Mun, and I've done all the bullet points except for one: Anomaly scan data from the surface near the anomalous signal. I seem to have a problem completing this last bullet point though. I'm using Orbital Science 0.8.6.1 from 10/20/14 with KSP 0.25 x32. From what I've read on the front page:

Investigate Anomalous Signal

- Search for and study the source of the anomalous signal coming from the target planet. A vague description of the target location is given.

- Returned science value must exceed a threshold amount for the Anomalous Signal Scanner (the same as the standard science collection mission described above); all other results need not have any science value, but must be collected within range of the anomalous signal.

If I understand this correctly, I need to run the Anomalous Signal Scanner while on the surface and I should get science from it.

It does not appear that I can run the scanner from the surface. I think I ran it a few km away, would that affect my ability to run the test from the surface again? If so, is there some way to reset the test so I can run it?

Here is a screenshot if it helps:

RhEAGwg.png

Please holler if you need logs.

Thanks for a great mod and thanks for your help! :)

If I understand this correctly, I need to run the Anomalous Signal Scanner while on the surface and I should get science from it.

It does not appear that I can run the scanner from the surface. I think I ran it a few km away, would that affect my ability to run the test from the surface again? If so, is there some way to reset the test so I can run it?

The anomaly scanner is not a repeatable experiment, it must be reset at a science lab or you need an unused one.

It also has a very short range (your current location is in range, indicated by the green lights) and gives two distinct results, landed and flying above (whether or not there is an atmosphere doesn't matter), so you may have collected results while still in flight and transmitted those, or maybe from another anomaly, though they generally aren't very close together. This is something that should probably be changed for the contracts, I have repeatedly forgotten about which result is needed while testing these contracts myself.

Any results from the anomaly scanner should show up in the R&D archives for each planet, so you can check there to see if you have results returned.

The anomaly scanner is not a repeatable experiment, it must be reset at a science lab or you need an unused one.

It also has a very short range (your current location is in range, indicated by the green lights) and gives two distinct results, landed and flying above (whether or not there is an atmosphere doesn't matter), so you may have collected results while still in flight and transmitted those, or maybe from another anomaly, though they generally aren't very close together. This is something that should probably be changed for the contracts, I have repeatedly forgotten about which result is needed while testing these contracts myself.

Any results from the anomaly scanner should show up in the R&D archives for each planet, so you can check there to see if you have results returned.

Ah! Thank you for the prompt reply. :) I will check my science archives; I suspect I used the scanner too early. Fortunately, I happen to have a science lab in orbit, so I can reset the experiment and try again. I'll do that and post my results.

Edit: Yup, that did the trick! :)

Edited by Angel-125

Are you using this: [thread=80220]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80220[/thread], or did you change the deadline setting in the included config file? Other than that this shouldn't happen; contracts for the Mun should be at least around 3x the length of the parameter. It also shouldn't matter if you are using Kerbal or regular time.

No to both. I do have FinePrint, I can't think of anything else that would conflict. It seems to happen to all celestial bodies, not just the Mun (I've seen the same with Kerbin, Minmus, and Sun).

But you say the deadline settings can be edited? So would changing "DMagic Orbital Sciences/Resources/Contract_Experiments_DM.cfg", the line "Global_Deadline = 1" to "Global_Deadline = 4" resolve the problem? Or cause more problems?

(Also, thanks for making this mod! Your stuff is awesome)

So would changing "DMagic Orbital Sciences/Resources/Contract_Experiments_DM.cfg", the line "Global_Deadline = 1" to "Global_Deadline = 4" resolve the problem? Or cause more problems?

That should fix it, it won't affect anything other than contract durations.

I'm guessing that the problem has something to do with using Earth days/years. The magnetic field contracts use the length of the contract parameter to calculate the deadline. That amount of time is stored in seconds, but converted to days (using whichever time system you have chosen) to display the length of time required in orbit, and to calculate the deadline. I think I need to always convert them to Kerbin days for calculating the deadline, otherwise it ends up 1/4th the amount of time it is supposed to be. Other contracts aren't handled this way and won't have this problem.

Ahhh! That was it! Don't I feel stupid!

I had you same issue... can you run me through the changes you made to the folders to make the dmagic Kit work again? I am finishing up a cycle of comms drone launches for Remote tech but want to get the US Dmagic pods working before I start doing my more serious missions.

Alacrity:cool:

Just downloaded the pack, looking forward to using it :) Got a few, probably very dumb questions.

Is there any kind of tutorial anywhere which will probably answer the rest of these questions? Which of the new experiments are repeatable and which are not? Do any of the parts need to go into a particular kind of orbit (Especially if I've already used SCANsat parts in a polar orbit! And if I do, is it purely for getting all the Biomes or?)? And does the magnetometer in this pack do the same job as KSP Interstellar's magnetometer, or will they produce separate science reports?

Thanks for your time :)

First of all, i love this pack! it adds much needed tools to the game.

But i just started a new save and redownloaded all my favorite mods, and now DM parts are totally out of scale.

58C2457827AEF29D47A3FE98BAD0AC345902FD27

^thats the magnetometer on a 1.25m pod

I'm assuming this is a scaling problem caused by another mod or plugin, i'm whittling down the troublemaker now.

Hi, sorry about this, am having a problem with plant growth experiments...i do the science, it shows i have finished the experiment, click collect data, and keep rather than transmit....land back at kerbil, and the data doesnt show up and the contract is still shown as incomplete.

its something i am doing wrong but i just cant figure out what it is.

any help please

thank you

sam

*Edit*

Sorry to clutter the thread. My original issue turned out to be a PEBKAC error.

The issue has been resolved and those responsible for the error have been sacked.

Edited by rwazar

First of all, i love this pack! it adds much needed tools to the game.

But i just started a new save and redownloaded all my favorite mods, and now DM parts are totally out of scale.

^thats the magnetometer on a 1.25m pod

I'm assuming this is a scaling problem caused by another mod or plugin, i'm whittling down the troublemaker now.

I'm experiencing the same thing right now. I've even tried via the right click menu to change the scale and it's already at 5m, the highest setting and about as big as a chiclet.

Is there any kind of tutorial anywhere which will probably answer the rest of these questions? Which of the new experiments are repeatable and which are not? Do any of the parts need to go into a particular kind of orbit (Especially if I've already used SCANsat parts in a polar orbit! And if I do, is it purely for getting all the Biomes or?)? And does the magnetometer in this pack do the same job as KSP Interstellar's magnetometer, or will they produce separate science reports?

Most of that info can be answered by the part descriptions in the first post. None of the parts are explicitly described as being repeatable, all of them are unless otherwise noted, though I do need to add that info for the anomaly scanner. The Interstellar magnetometer is completely separate (I tried adding configs to allow my magnetometer to function as both, but it didn't work very well).

I'm experiencing the same thing right now. I've even tried via the right click menu to change the scale and it's already at 5m, the highest setting and about as big as a chiclet.

Update/delete/re-install tweakscale. That's basically the only thing that can cause parts to be scaled incorrectly like this, though there may be some way to change the Tweakscale configs to prevent this.

Hi, sorry about this, am having a problem with plant growth experiments...i do the science, it shows i have finished the experiment, click collect data, and keep rather than transmit....land back at kerbil, and the data doesnt show up and the contract is still shown as incomplete.

its something i am doing wrong but i just cant figure out what it is.

Wrong place.

Upon further evaluation......

My issue may be something else entirely. NONE of my observations from the Mun Midlands counted. Surface samples, Eva, Crew reports.... All are listed as 0.00

Interdasting... It may be potato

Definitely something else going on here if the stock science reports are also missing.

Update/delete/re-install tweakscale. That's basically the only thing that can cause parts to be scaled incorrectly like this, though there may be some way to change the Tweakscale configs to prevent this.

Thanks, that did it!

I'm having the most bonkers problem using the US parts for this mod in this version. Any ship I attach them to experiences a weird bug where shortly after launch at about 6-7km my ship flies away from the camera as though a part broke. Instead what's happening is the center of mass is moving further and further behind my rocket and it picks up some serious speed as it does so. This causes even slightly touching the controls to make my G forces meter go haywire since the distant rocket tries to move around this way off center of mass. It gets so bad that after my first stage simple things like decoupling cause the rocket to disintegrate from the G forces and pieces go flying away at insane speeds.

Any ideas what that could be? I tested the quad core with no US modules attached as well as then attaching the standard US modules and it works fine. Only the DMagic ones cause this.