[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

Version 0.9 is up; get it in KerbalStuff

Four new parts are added in this update. Three are based on Sethnizzle's [thread=64336]Panda Jager[/thread] set; all were created from scratch and don't use any assets from that pack. The other part is based on Curiosity's CheMin powder X-Ray diffraction instrument. It is used for detailed surface analysis and can also be used on asteroids.

This part requires that its drill be able to contact the planet or asteroid surface. The handy arrows on the side of the instrument should give you an idea of how to orient the part, you can test it in the VAB/SPH to make sure the drill is functioning correctly. For reference the length of the drill at the default size is 8.8m and it scales with TweakScale or manual scale changes.

Full [thread=100385]Community Tech Tree[/thread] support is included in this update. Module Manager configs are included to change the tech tree position of most of my parts along with the part costs (default part costs have been reduced, CTT costs are higher) and some of the experiment science values.

There are also a handful of bug fixes. TweakScale configs have been switched to a fixed scale type, with several size options for each part. See the first post for more info.

v0.9
- Several new rover parts
- X-Ray Diffraction and DAN parts based on Curiosity science instruments
- Micro-sized Goo pod and Materials bay
- New science reports and fixed typos
- Community Tech Tree support
- All parts and science experiments have been rebalanced for the Community Tech Tree
- Includes different tech node position, part costs, and science experiment values
- Part costs reduced for stock tech tree
- All Module Manager configs (except Universal Storage) have been moved out to separate files in the Resources folder
- TweakScale configs changed to non-free-scale, custom mode; several size options are allowed for each part
- ORSX/SCANsat Ore scanner added to magnetometer; ORSX/SCANsat Minerals scanner added to Imaging Platform
- Magnetic survey contract duration bug fixed when using Earth days
- Non-repeatable parts show how many samples can be collected in the VAB info tab

A question: if I use PandaJager parts, would there be any bugs if I install these alongside DMagic 0.9? I've got several active ships that use them.

Nope, no conflicts. The parts, their names, and the experiments are different.

When I updated to 0.9, the DMagic parts on an existing lander scaled up a fraction, which seems to have caused them to detach and float away from the vessel. Normally I could just reattach with KAS, but it actually caused other unrelated parts to detach, splitting the lander in half.

I tried replacing the .cfg for the parts responsible with those from the previous version, but it didn't help. I noticed there's a backwards compatibility package on the first page, but it looks like it hasn't been updated in quite a while.

Is it ah, expected behaviour that this update wipes out most of my contracts, along with all the archives?

I grok the bit about removing it, but nothing is mentioned of an update...

No big deal as I have backups, but I'd kinda like to try out the new toys on my career save - without loosing the all important 'explore body' contracts already accepted.

Edited by steve_v

When I updated to 0.9, the DMagic parts on an existing lander scaled up a fraction, which seems to have caused them to detach and float away from the vessel. Normally I could just reattach with KAS, but it actually caused other unrelated parts to detach, splitting the lander in half.

Noticed scaled up parts here too. Loaded the craft in the VAB tho and the parts came up scaled okay, so I put that on the launchpad and went into my SFS and copied the TweakScale MODULE{} for them into the craft already in orbit. That fixed it

Is it ah, expected behavior that this update wipes out most of my contracts, along with all the archives?

I grok the bit about removing it, but nothing is mentioned of an update...

No big deal as I have backups, but I'd kinda like to try out the new toys on my career save - without loosing the all important 'explore body' contracts already accepted.

Sometimes that happens if something has changed in an existing contract, like a new parameter added, or a New save node.

If you have an existing contract that's not finished when you load a new update to mod, the existing contract is going to look for the new save node, since it does not exist it fails. Kerbal Space Program at that time just seems to wipe everything clean most likely to save your persistent file from issues. The same thing applies to archived contracts. For whatever reason archived contracts still check all the nodes to load the information it needs. If its not there, then again, wiped out.

Noticed scaled up parts here too. Loaded the craft in the VAB tho and the parts came up scaled okay, so I put that on the launchpad and went into my SFS and copied the TweakScale MODULE{} for them into the craft already in orbit. That fixed it

TweakScale problems are probably to be expected. You can manually replace things like this if you're up to that. You can also just delete the TweakScale .cfg file in the Resources folder (or leave the configs for the Solar Particle Collector and Soil Moisture Detector, they use standard TweakScale settings, and only delete the others) and everything should just reset to a scale of 1. I'm not sure what will happen if you delete the config, load a save, then add it back later.

I'll look into this more later.

Sometimes that happens if something has changed in an existing contract, like a new parameter added, or a New save node.

If you have an existing contract that's not finished when you load a new update to mod, the existing contract is going to look for the new save node, since it does not exist it fails. Kerbal Space Program at that time just seems to wipe everything clean most likely to save your persistent file from issues. The same thing applies to archived contracts. For whatever reason archived contracts still check all the nodes to load the information it needs. If its not there, then again, wiped out.

I do hate the way the contract system can be so fragile. :mad:

But the problem here is actually much dumber. A small change to my experiments causes some parameters not to load correctly, and I'm not interrupting the loading process correctly, so it breaks everything.

I'll need to test this more, but you can try out this very quick, use-at-your-own-risk patch for now. Just replace the DMagic.dll file with this one.

DropBox Link

You should see a bunch of debug entries upon first loading a save saying "[DM] Failed To Load Variables; Parameter Removed" or something along those lines. And any parameter asking for results from the Imaging Platform (Broad Spectrum Analysis) will be removed. But the contracts should still load.

I'll need to test this more, but you can try out this very quick, use-at-your-own-risk patch for now. Just replace the DMagic.dll file with this one.

Spot on, thanks muchly :D

I hear ya on the fragile contracts system, it's not the first time it's gone belly up on me for trivial part changes.

When I added this mod to my existing career mode game, I saw the science parts, but I didn't see any of the DMOS contracts appear. So, I started a new game, and I still haven't seen any of the contracts for the mod - just the normal stock contracts. Do the new contracts become available as soon as you unlock the related tech nodes, unlock the specific science parts, or do something else?

Or is something wrong?

I almost forgot to mention: DMagic Orbital Sciences does show up as a contract agency.

(I'm just at the stage of figuring out if I HAVE a problem before I try to seriously troubleshoot it.)

Edited by Gryphon
dmagic contract agency

Would not resetting the contracts affect a new game? Because the mission control screen is completely blank despite me starting two brand new games after updating this mod.

That definitely shouldn't happen. The problem discussed in the posts above only affects existing contracts with certain parameters. It shouldn't have any affect on new contracts or new games. Is there anything else wrong happening, or something in the log files?

When I added this mod to my existing career mode game, I saw the science parts, but I didn't see any of the DMOS contracts appear. So, I started a new game, and I still haven't seen any of the contracts for the mod - just the normal stock contracts. Do the new contracts become available as soon as you unlock the related tech nodes, unlock the specific science parts, or do something else?

Or is something wrong?

I almost forgot to mention: DMagic Orbital Sciences does show up as a contract agency.

(I'm just at the stage of figuring out if I HAVE a problem before I try to seriously troubleshoot it.)

The contracts all have certain requirements that must be met before they are offered. You have to at least reach Kerbin orbit for some of them. The asteroid contracts require going to Minmus and back (to simulate rendezvousing with a small target), and one of them requires breaking Kerbin orbit. They also require that certain parts be unlocked, these are different for each contract type.

I've noticed that if a mod adds 3rd party agents, the entire contract system fails to load if Texture Replacer is also present

If this happens with all agents (probably because of the two flag textures required for it) then Texture Replacer probably needs some update to handle this.

I'm having an issue with the universal storage parts, they are not showing up in the science tab....

I'm having the same issue. The (magnificent!) DMagic parts show up just fine, the US parts show up fine (and that fuel cell is a right handy thing to have!), but the DMagic US parts are nowhere to be seen.

That definitely shouldn't happen. The problem discussed in the posts above only affects existing contracts with certain parameters. It shouldn't have any affect on new contracts or new games. Is there anything else wrong happening, or something in the log files?

If this happens with all agents (probably because of the two flag textures required for it) then Texture Replacer probably needs some update to handle this.

Sorry for the late reply.

The Alt+F2 window is being spammed with a "GUIContent is null. Use GUIContent.none" message, I have no idea what's causing it because with or without this mod or Texture Replacer I'm getting it.

As for TR itself, I did mention the issue to Shaw but his solution was to just remove all 3rd party agents and flags which does restore the contract system but obviously, given the reason the Agents file exists, isn't a desirable solution.

EDIT: For reference sake I'm using the latest build of Texture Replacer.

Edited by djnattyd

Problem solved, seems that along with spamming my log with 'GUIContent null. Use GUIContent.none', Custom Biomes broke the contract system is 3rd party agents and Texture Replacer were present. One or the other was fine, both together killed the mission control building as long as Custom Biomes was installed.

Another minor update released; get it on KerbalStuff

This one fixes a minor issue where Universal Storage parts were showing up in the Community Tech Tree even if that addon wasn't installed.

It also adds support for future releases of the [thread=99010]Realism Overhaul Career Mode[/thread] project.

I seem to be having an issue with some of the parts- the optical telescope, the solar collector, the imaging platform, and the X-Ray experiment don't appear in my tech tree or parts list (but they appear in sandbox mode). All the other parts appear and function just fine. If it helps, I did install this mod in the midst of a career game I already started, but I've been able to use the other parts with no problems.

I've reinstalled DMagic, CTT, and TechManager multiple times and it doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. Any help?

can't finish the anomaly contract for the mun monolith (60°N 10°E), because it hovers about 200m over the surface. magnetometer scan near above worked, laser scan on the surface worked, but anomaly scanner on the surface don't. it shows "no anomaly detected".

something I can do to finish the contract?

another thing...

I try to disable the minimal science amount restriction for experiments transmission. so I went to the config file to set "Global_Science_Return" from 1 to 0. but I still get the "return things home" message on a current contract.

does this parameter not what I think it does or applies it only on contracts generatet after I've changed the settings?

Edited by acc

can't finish the anomaly contract for the mun monolith (60°N 10°E), because it hovers about 200m over the surface. magnetometer scan near above worked, laser scan on the surface worked, but anomaly scanner on the surface don't. it shows "no anomaly detected".

something I can do to finish the contract?

What is the anomaly scanner doing at this point? Are both the rotating dish and moving camera deployed? Are the signal lights active? Does anything get printed out in the debug log?

The only way to force this to complete if the anomaly scanner isn't picking up anything is through the debug menu.

I know the anomaly you mean. If it's floating too high it might not be possible to get results from the anomaly scanner while on the ground.

another thing...

I try to disable the minimal science amount restriction for experiments transmission. so I went to the config file to set "Global_Science_Return" from 1 to 0. but I still get the "return things home" message on a current contract.

does this parameter not what I think it does or applies it only on contracts generatet after I've changed the settings?

That alters the science reward for all of my contracts. The required science value can always be bypassed by returning results to Kerbin.

What is the anomaly scanner doing at this point? Are both the rotating dish and moving camera deployed? Are the signal lights active? Does anything get printed out in the debug log?

The only way to force this to complete if the anomaly scanner isn't picking up anything is through the debug menu.

I know the anomaly you mean. If it's floating too high it might not be possible to get results from the anomaly scanner while on the ground.

only dish is out, no cam, no lights. did'nt see anything in debug, but my lander is still on the site, so I can get the log for you (after next game session).

That alters the science reward for all of my contracts. The required science value can always be bypassed by returning results to Kerbin.

oh, so it's not possible to disable it? it's a litle bit boring for me to switch between scenes and do paperwork to check where I did which experiments/scans and guessing if the left values are enough to transmit. and mostly I just forget about that and end up with my one-way vessel on target site/orbit and getin frustrated.

I would really love to have this "feature" optional.

PS: but no offense, I love the contracts very much. it's just this tiny point that would make the gameplay for me very less frustrating. I know it's my fault, like it's my fault if I crash a lander etc. but it feels different if this big green font just tells you "nope, no transmitting, bring the stuff home. oh, your craft can't go home? haha!"

I see it this way: someone gives me a contract to do X at Y and bring the data home. if the data is nothing worth why it should be my problem? I was there, I did what they wanted and sent them the data they wanted, so contract completed on my site. maybe I can have a lawyer mod and let him deal with it? :D