[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

If you don't want the interstellar science reports for the magnetometer then all you would need to add is

MODULE
{
name = DTMagnetometer
animName = magBoom
}

If you want the science experiment you would also need to add the ModuleScienceExperiment section too. The right-click menu will start to get a little crowded with all of the buttons and fields being updated, but it should still work.

Edited by DMagic

I have a suggestion for a new part, a laser communication antenna! its awesome because its a laser, as all lasers are awesome! (it was also tested by the LADEE and galileo spacecraft)

so, could you consider making something like this? or am I asking for too much?

Edited by gooddog15
LADEE da dee da!

*Goes to Dres, looks at RPWS and Magnetometer Results*

I see what you did there...

Oh yeah, they're pretty much all like that for Dres.:sticktongue:

I have a suggestion for a new part, a laser communication antenna! its awesome because its a laser, as all lasers are awesome! (it was also tested by the LADEE and galileo spacecraft)

so, could you consider making something like this? or am I asking for too much?

I actually haven't considered communications parts before. That might be a good idea. Another idea is for a laser range finding mirror like the ones left on the Moon by Apollo astronauts.

So here's an idea, since we have Dev Note Tuesdays, why don't we have Mod Note days as well. Instead of randomly updating this thread or waiting until people ask questions I can just put a small update once a week with some of what I've been working on.

I dub today the first Mod Dev Note Tuesday.

I've been working on several things for the next update. The asteroid science system that I've mentioned several times before seems to working. I think I've gotten rid of all the bugs and it doesn't seem to affect any of the non-asteroid science. I'm still using the asteroid mass to determine the class, but I think I've got the mass ranges figured out. The different classes determine which results you'll collect and the value of the report.

I've added a full set of science reports for the magnetometer (both nearby and while grappled to an asteroid) and for the laser scanner (while grappled only).

b1OWtnR.jpg

The magnetometer's readout has been tweaked and extended to work everywhere now. There are full magnetosphere simulations for Kerbin, Duna, Jool, Eve and the Sun; the size and intensity of the magnetospheres vary greatly between planets. When you are in orbit around a moon or a non-magnetic planet the readout returns values for the parent planet or the sun. I've also reduced the update speed to five times per in-game second while out of timewarp. While in timewarp the update speed increases up to fifty times per second. This should alleviate any concerns about the magnetometer impacting performance.

RGD4NZZ.jpg

And finally, parts. I've shown this before elsewhere, but it's been updated and changed a bit. This is based on some of the Cassini instruments and has a UV imager (in the middle), an IR imager (left) and a multi-wavelength, visible and IR imager (right). I think the model and animation are ready, it only needs to be textured.

IqWdswL.gif?1

I've also been working on several other parts, but I'll update more on those when I get closer to finishing them.

I like this mod but i´ve got a problem i can´t rightclick any science instruments i need to bind it to actiongroups . (It´s caused by his mod because without it it isn´t there) Is this abug or is it intended ? Would be nice if you can disable it

Hey DMagic do you like my Mun drill probe? :) It took me a few hours to build and land it. It even has a detachable science section with a heatshield for returning to Kerbin. I was going to visit every large crater with it. Imagine my surprise.

Why?... Why?! ;.;

h2GP3s4.png?1

Same here, i installed it on my "Mun Biome Explorer" only to find it was useless there.

Whoops, I thought I had noted that in the part's in-game description (it's on the description in the first post of this thread). I'll add that in next time.

Part of the reasoning for this is that I intentionally want to create more limited-use parts. This and the anomaly scanner are the first two, but I am thinking of making more. I have in mind something designed specifically for asteroids, but there are many examples of more specialized parts. I was also thinking of something made specifically for liquid science, so it could only be used on Kerbin, Eve, Laythe, and maybe Vall.

Ok I understand what you're trying to do, but this is a contrivance don't you think? There's no rational reason why a drill couldn't be used on bodies with no atmosphere.

Well to some degree, yes, a drill is a drill. But you need to have some purpose for drilling into the surface. By itself drilling through rock would be rather pointless. The obvious reasons for doing so are either to drill through the outer layer of rock to reveal something below it, or to take a core sample. Taking a core sample by itself seems pretty similar to the stock surface sample experiment to me and I don't want to create alternate methods for collecting stock experiments, and besides, there are several other mods that already do just that.

So the idea I went with, which was inspired by the old Viking landers and the planned ExoMars mission, was to collect samples to test for biological activity. The methods used by the Viking lander and the ExoMars rover destroy the samples they collect, but since I wanted to allow these samples to be returned for higher value I got a little hand-wavy and made up something about incubation chambers and allowing time for gasses associated with biological activity time to be generated. I really did intend to include this limitation in the part description though, and I've already added it to my latest build.

And aside from all that I really like the idea of very specifically targeted experiments. For orbiters there are a lot of instruments that work well in any situation. Pretty much every major interplanetary probe has some kind of radio plasma instrument and a magnetometer and usually several imagers of some kind. But for landers and rovers it makes more sense to come with highly targeted instruments. Obviously I don't want to make this mod bloated with a bunch of semi-useless parts taking up RAM, but I think the drill is a decent enough compromise.

Why not create an atmospheric gas detector or something instead?

We already have the barometer and the nose cone, but this actually brings up an idea for another interesting part. The ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter is designed to detect certain gases from orbit, among other things, which could be an interesting experiment to make.

I love these parts, truly I do, they're great for making flyby IP probes and science rovers. But for some reason when I try and transfer all the science to a storage unit with ship manifest, (which has worked up until now, what with the .23.5 update) SM says that there's nothing in them. Is there any way to fix this? ;.;

I like this mod but i´ve got a problem i can´t rightclick any science instruments i need to bind it to actiongroups . (It´s caused by his mod because without it it isn´t there) Is this abug or is it intended ? Would be nice if you can disable it

Are you still having this problem? I've seen things like this happen before, usually it's because I've changed something and the plugin doesn't get loaded, but that shouldn't be an issue in the released version. On occasion I've had parts that can't be selected or right clicked, but work fine the next time I load the game. I've never really been able to figure out why that happens or if it's something that exists in the currently available version. My only suggestion would be to try deleting and reinstalling my mod or trying my mod on a clean KSP install.

I love these parts, truly I do, they're great for making flyby IP probes and science rovers. But for some reason when I try and transfer all the science to a storage unit with ship manifest, (which has worked up until now, what with the .23.5 update) SM says that there's nothing in them. Is there any way to fix this? ;.;

Are you saying Ship Manifest is only not working with my parts after 0.23.5, or that SM has had problems in general after 0.23.5? Does this happen with all parts, or just some of them, I suspect that it might not see anything for the drill, which is to be expected? I looked at SM's code and it seems like it should be working ok, but I'll have to actually try it out in-game to really figure anything out.

I tried this out and I see what you mean.

The problem lies in Ship Manifest's code, it can see my experiments, but it isn't using the right methods to actually check if there are any results stored in the part or to remove them. xEvilReeperx's ScienceAlert has a way of working around this, but that is something that has to be done on Papa_Joe's end.

The reason it may have worked in the past is that I was using a different, but less flexible method of collecting science reports before the latest version.

I see, that's a shame. well Maybe Papa_joe will make an update for this. Here's hoping.

I don't think it's a very complicated fix, and it's possible that it will affect other custom science experiments too, so it would be a good thing to see if it can be done.

Update to V0.8

Download on Spaceport

iPv8GIm.jpg?1

New update adds asteroid science; collect asteroid specific science reports with selected parts while grappled to or within 2km of an asteroid.

- Parts with asteroid science support include the laser scanner, magnetometer, and Accelerometer/GravMax combination part (stock science parts cannot be used for asteroids).

Four new parts added for use with Paul Kingtiger and Daishi's Universal Storage system mod.

- Alternate versions of the magnetometer and RPWS are available

- New, combined stock experiment parts also available. The PresMat and 2Hot are combined into one part, while the Accelerometer and GravMax are combined into another.

- Any problems with my Universal Storage parts should be addressed here, not in the main US thread. Also be aware that it can be tricky to get the wedges to attach to the core properly, particularly if the core is almost full already.

Note that the Universal Storage parts use Model {} nodes and must be kept in the correct location: .../Kerbal Space Program/GameData/DMagic Orbital Science/Universal Storage/

If the parts are moved anywhere else they will not load. Also note that several parts share the same textures, so don't delete individual parts unless you know what you are doing.

The magnetometer and RPWS are functionally identical to the default parts. The combined experiment parts are slightly different than their stock counterparts though. Aside from the asteroid reports they have a different detection system for atmospheric flight, this allows for the collection of atmospheric science reports while aerobraking, on an escape trajectory, etc... The stock parts require that you be on a sub-orbital trajectory to collect atmospheric science reports.

These parts also have working indicators for their respective readouts. The accelerometer uses something called a Pendulous Integrating Gyroscopic Accelerometer (PIGA); my version isn't completely accurate, but these types of mechanical integrators have been used in ballistic missile guidance systems, so if it's good enough for... um, Peacekeeper missiles, it's good enough for Kerbal science.

The basic Universal Storage wedge that I'm using now is a placeholder part. It fits in fairly well with the regular Universal Storage parts, but I intend to replace it with a higher quality model and texture and to use Model {} nodes to reduce the RAM footprint.

Also included is an extended magnetic field simulation. The magnetometer now provides a readout for every planet, moon and the sun.

Check the first post of this thread for a full preview gallery of the update.

Change Log:

v0.8
- Added asteroid science system
- Asteroid specific reports can be collected while grappled to, or within 2km of an asteroid
- Reports and science values vary with asteroid class
- Asteroid experiments are only counted once per asteroid class (your current planet and experimental situation are ignored)
- Four new parts for use in combination with the Universal Storage mod
- Replacements for magnetometer and RPWS; both are functionally identical to their default counterparts
- Combinations of the four basic science experiments; PresMat/2Hot and Accel/GravMax
- Asteroid reports available for Accel/GravMax
- Slight changes in atmospheric detection; PresMat/2Hot measurements can be taken while aerobraking, on escape trajectory etc...
- Magnetometer simulation extended to all planets and moons; should also work on mod planets
- Simulation update frequency reduced; should be little/no chance for performance impact
- A few minor bug fixes
- Clarified limitations on Core Drill usage in the in-game part description
- Additional science reports for asteroid science; typo fixes for old reports

v0.7.5
- Updated for KSP v0.23.5
- New RPWS model and texture
- Existing vessels should still work, but the RPWS might end up attached backwards
- New telescope texture, some adjustments made to the existing model
- Resized parts so that they are all more similar in scale
- Added resource usage to drill, laser, anomaly scanner and magnetometer
- Can be configured in the part.cfg file
- Limited magnetosphere simulation for Kerbin
- Values read-out in right-click menu, can be disabled in the part.cfg file
- Several changes to plugin code
- Exploits for drill fixed
- Lab reset for anomaly scanner should work as it does for stock parts
- Most parts moved onto universal science module
- Several default science reports added, should work on any mod planets that include ScienceParams values
- Drill should work on any planet with an atmosphere now
- Added reports for Krag's PlanetFactory planets

v0.7.1:
- Added SCANsat BTDT function to alternate version of the anomaly sensor.
- Can now be used for both custom anomaly science scanning and SCANsat scanning.
- Part has a different name and must be purchased separately in the R&D center.
- Added my own telescope module to the SCANsat version.
- Details are the same as for the anomaly sensor.
- Both parts are found in the alternate, SCANsat folder.
- No changes to the default parts.

v0.7:
- New anomalous signal scanner. Designed for rovers and spaceplanes.
- Used to detect and study anomalies.
- Single use only; return to Kerbin for complete study of the science report, or transmit and reset with science lab.
- New textures for the magnetometer and laser; they fit in better with the recent parts.
- Fixed .cfg file and plugin bugs for the laser and magnetometer
- Laser returned to its proper tech node - will require repurchase, but should not affect existing vessels.
- A few minor changes in other part.cfg files; dropped the mass of the telescope.
- New science reports for the anomaly scanner, fixed many typos in old reports.

v0.6:
- New biological activity core drill. Designed for rovers and landers.
- Features multiple storage containers.
- Can be used up to six times before needing to be returned to Kerbin or reset with a science lab.
- Two different animation modes, used for rovers or landers. Animation dependent on the drill's orientation relative to its parent part - preview animation in the VAB/SPH - use cubic octagonal struts or other small parts to modify animation behavior.
- New science reports for core drill.
- Included support for Trueborn's Custom Biomes plugin. * Requires separate download
- Reports for custom biomes for the laser, optical telescope and core drill.
- Reduced values for some science experiments.

v0.5:
- New surface scanning laser instrument. Designed for rovers and landers.
- Changes in magnetometer and telescope part names to address compatibility issues with other mods (will not be backward compatible without manually changing the names or installing the alternate part folder). Re-purchasing parts in the R&D center is required.
- New model for magnetometer, includes added details to the instruments themselves, cleaner animation, and lower RAM usage due to more efficient use of textures.
- Custom part modules for all parts to address animation and science collection issues:
- Magnetometer and RPWS animations are fully reversible while playing, animation speed for these parts is increased as well.
- Deployed previews are available in the VAB/SPH for all parts
- Attempts to collect science where not possible will trigger a message with suggestions about where to use the instrument; will not play the deploy animation if the part is in the retracted position.
- Transmitting or resetting the instrument will not trigger the retract animation.
- Repeatedly pushing the collect data button/action group will not spam multiple results.
- The laser has only a single, forward animation. Data is collected midway through the animation.
- Edited existing science reports, and added several more. Added full set of surface reports for the laser.

v0.4:
- New textures for all parts.
- Changed non-SCANsat telescope to be the default, for the SCANsat version replace the default scope folder with the alternate folder.
- Tweaks to models and animations for the magnetometer and telescope.
- Add Langmuir probe to RPWS model (should not break existing crafts).
- Added surface reports for the magnetometer, including biome support where available.
- Added biome support for non-SCANsat telescope in low orbit.
- Rearranged tech tree placement; parts moved to earlier nodes.
- Decreased science report values, added and edited science reports.
- Added FxModule to part.cfg to force deployment before science reports can be collected.

v0.3: Initial upload.

Edited by DMagic

Excellent! Just in time too, I've captured three asteroids last week and had absolutely nothing to do with them :)

Is this backwards compatible?

It should be, there weren't any significant changes made to the existing parts.

There was a lot of poking around the edges of the plugin though, so let me know if anyone runs into bugs or if something is behaving differently.

Neat!

- Asteroid experiments are only counted once per asteroid class (your current planet and experimental situation are ignored)

Does that mean that experiments can be done only once per asteroid class? I.e. if you catch A-class and perform laser scan, you won't get any science for laser scan on another A-class?

Does that mean that experiments can be done only once per asteroid class? I.e. if you catch A-class and perform laser scan, you won't get any science for laser scan on another A-class?

Correct. The asteroids basically behave like another planet with the classes being the biomes. So each asteroid class only has one pool of data per experiment. I considered doing something like the stock asteroid samples do and just appending the asteroids id number to the end of the science report title, but I don't really like the infinite science implications of doing that.

It's probably possible to implement some kind of diminishing returns for repeated scans on different asteroids of the same class. I'll look into that.

Both of the major features introduced in this update, asteroid science and the Universal Storage parts, are very much first drafts. The US parts I already mentioned a little about, and I'm also planning on filling out that collection with the other three stock science experiments and at least some of my other parts. I have a version of the telescope that works great in Blender, but I got carried away with the animations before realizing Unity couldn't handle that kind of complex animating.

For the asteroids I want to see what Starstrider42 comes up with for the Custom Asteroids mod, but there are many possibilities.

Edited by DMagic

Hmm, this kinda defeats the very purpose of procedurally-generated asteroids - catch only 5 of them, and you won't get any more science except stock sample.

Universal Storage parts looks cool, definitely will use them (If only US authors made some parts for these of us who don't use realism-oriented mods...)