[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

Is there anything else from me that could help determine what's going on? I do have a fair amount of mods installed.

There probably isn't anything simple that can be done about this. I know what's happening, it would be nice to know why it's happening, but failing that I can at least prevent it from breaking things in the next update.

If you want to verify that the anomaly scanner is working and to see its various visual cues, put a small rover on the launch pad with an anomaly scanner on it. When you activate it the standard spinning dish will pop up along with the camera module (the picture on the first post of this thread shows this at the island airfield). The cameras will point directly at the nearest anomaly (though it only rotates in one dimension, so this works best if you mount the scanner on top of a rover body, or something equivalent), which in this case will be the KSC anomaly, the center of which is located about 30m below a point midway between the VAB and the launchpad.

If you try to collect data you'll be a little too far away, so an on-screen message will tell you which direction to go, the exact distance and directions will be printed in the debug menu. If you get within 250m of the center of the anomaly the green lights will start flashing and you can collect data.

The cameras pop-up whenever you are within 10km distance to the anomaly (though it varies with your height above or below it), so you can use them as an indication of distance when the anomaly is too far away to see. The on-screen message will appear when you try to collect data within 30km of the anomaly (this also varies with height); both of these give a pretty good indication of where the anomaly is, even if it is buried underground or too small to see.

If there is something really wrong, like the anomaly is somehow at the center of the planet, the anomaly scanner will never get close enough to work, and SCANsat also shouldn't work.

I'm sorry for not following up faster--I had put off doing the necessary reinstalling of KSP 64-bit to get it working again.

I don't use Scansat, but did your recommendation--a rover at KSP did, in fact, detect a nearby anomaly with the camera deploying (the first time I'd ever seen that), and I was able to get to one between the pad and VAB as you said.

However, it seems like the contract to find an anomaly on Minmus is either at the center of the planet, or just not where it says (30 N, 140 W), since even landing at the point didn't make it detectable--"No anomaly detected", etc., no camera deployment or indication of distance.

[...] broad spectrum analysis [...]

the part looks like a little white (american) football, or an egg, cut in half. the white thing in the bottom center of the images on the first post. it's a multi spectrum analyzer that plugs into ScanSAT, but if you right click it, it also has a broad spectrum experiment.

I'm sorry for not following up faster--I had put off doing the necessary reinstalling of KSP 64-bit to get it working again.

I don't use Scansat, but did your recommendation--a rover at KSP did, in fact, detect a nearby anomaly with the camera deploying (the first time I'd ever seen that), and I was able to get to one between the pad and VAB as you said.

However, it seems like the contract to find an anomaly on Minmus is either at the center of the planet, or just not where it says (30 N, 140 W), since even landing at the point didn't make it detectable--"No anomaly detected", etc., no camera deployment or indication of distance.

That's definitely not the right location for the Minmus anomaly. I'm wondering if you can check your persistence file to see what the contract says. Just search for DMAnomalyContract and see what it says for "Target_Anomaly=", it should have the anomaly name followed by a bunch of other stuff. I might have to explicitly check to see if the anomaly list being generated actually contains the "real" anomalies or not.

First, love this mod. I love the survey contracts while bring a touch of realism.

This may be a stupid question, but I can't figure out while part does broad spectrum analysis. I feel like I am missing something obvious :P

Clarification appreciated! Thanks.

the part looks like a little white (american) football, or an egg, cut in half. the white thing in the bottom center of the images on the first post. it's a multi spectrum analyzer that plugs into ScanSAT, but if you right click it, it also has a broad spectrum experiment.

You can also download this [thread=91034]contracts window mod[/thread] and it will just tell you exactly what part is needed for these types of contracts.

Would Dmagic work in a science only RSS game by chance? RSS does have a custom biome set I believe.

it should? it's just stock experiments for the most part. there are some custom animations, but i don't think there's anything special about it. you would need to update the sciencedefs for the new biomes. i don't use RSS, so...

Does RSS change the name of the planets? If the stock experiments work without changes then mine should too. At worst you'll just end up with default results for all of the experiments. The same goes for custom biomes; if there is an exact match between the biome name and an experimental result name then you'll get that result, otherwise you'll get default results.

Science only mode should be fine for any setup.

That's definitely not the right location for the Minmus anomaly. I'm wondering if you can check your persistence file to see what the contract says. Just search for DMAnomalyContract and see what it says for "Target_Anomaly=", it should have the anomaly name followed by a bunch of other stuff. I might have to explicitly check to see if the anomaly list being generated actually contains the "real" anomalies or not.

That would certainly make sense if it were the problem. Here:

CONTRACT

{

guid = a7a111db-161f-4085-be7c-40ae0ccdf22c

type = DMAnomalyContract

prestige = 1

seed = 1169695531

state = Active

agent = DMagic

deadlineType = Floating

expiryType = Floating

values = 240960,77293437.5867844,66000,59400,66000,0,66,33,7707603.68544419,7467759.43785273,84761197.0246371,0

Target_Anomaly = Monolith00|3|29.59|-133.19

PARAM

{

name = DMCollectScience

state = Incomplete

values = 33000,16500,31,198,33

Science_Subject = 2|Anomaly Scan|3|4|Monolith 1|0

}

PARAM

{

name = DMAnomalyParameter

id = collectDMAnomaly

state = Incomplete

values = 11250,6750,80,22,11

Target_Anomaly = Monolith00|3|Broad Spectrum Analysis|16|False

}

PARAM

{

id = collectDMAnomaly

state = Incomplete

values = 23906,14344,75,48,24

Target_Anomaly = Monolith00|3|Laser Surface Scan|1|False

}

PARAM

{

id = collectDMAnomaly

state = Incomplete

values = 12625,7575,60,25,13

Target_Anomaly = Monolith00|3|Orbital Telescope Observations|16|False

}

}

I'm fairly certain this is the contract (I only have one of its kind), but I can't tell what the coordinates are by looking at it.

That would certainly make sense if it were the problem. Here:

I see it now. I'm matching anomalies based on their names (Monolith00 in this case), but not taking into account the planet. So when it searches for the Minmus monolith it can pick up the one on Kerbin or the Mun instead. That should be easy enough to fix, and also explains why the problem comes up with Minmus so much.

I'm not totally sure why it's giving those coordinates (from this line "Target_Anomaly = Monolith00|3|29.59|-133.19"), since there is nothing there on Kerbin or the Mun, but those don't really matter aside from the contract description. The individual parameters check for the actual position of the anomaly. I'll have to try to duplicate this and make sure that I can fix it.

I see it now. I'm matching anomalies based on their names (Monolith00 in this case), but not taking into account the planet. So when it searches for the Minmus monolith it can pick up the one on Kerbin or the Mun instead. That should be easy enough to fix, and also explains why the problem comes up with Minmus so much.

I'm not totally sure why it's giving those coordinates (from this line "Target_Anomaly = Monolith00|3|29.59|-133.19"), since there is nothing there on Kerbin or the Mun, but those don't really matter aside from the contract description. The individual parameters check for the actual position of the anomaly. I'll have to try to duplicate this and make sure that I can fix it.

Excellent! It's definitely a Minmus assignment--do you have any idea where the Monolith should be, so I can go ahead and knock out the contract? I've got a ship waiting in orbit and everything.

Excellent! It's definitely a Minmus assignment--do you have any idea where the Monolith should be, so I can go ahead and knock out the contract? I've got a ship waiting in orbit and everything.

The Minmus anomaly is at:

Minmus: 23.7oN, 60oE

Last I checked it was actually on the ground, previously it had always been floating about 100 or 200 m above the surface.

You probably won't be able to compete anything except the first parameter, the one that asks for the anomaly scan data (make sure to check if it asks for a scan while on the ground, or flying above it, both require very close distance). On planets without an atmosphere the "scan from above" parameters can be completed by scanning from just above the surface, there is no need to actually be in orbit. If you find it and complete that first parameter you can always just force the contract to complete by opening the debug menu (Alt+F12) and heading to the Contracts tab, then Active Contracts, then press the "Com" button.

Hey I just wanted to say thanks for making this great mod! :)

Really nice to have a purpose for probes now, and the US integration is slick. One request I do have is for a US antenna, since the big stock antenna fits into US storage bays... poorly.

This one I might get to eventually. I would think a bigger antenna would be good here, since the low-gain and the small dish antenna can be slapped on just about anywhere.

Great modeling and texturing, and great mod overall, but I believe the stock experiments (thermometer, gravioli, accelometer and barometer) could all fit in one bay. It is more space efficient to place them manually in the US empty bay.

Also since you made your parts available for US maybe you are interested in BoxSat as well.

I don't put them all in the same part because I would have to then wait until you are very far along in the tech tree to unlock it, or give you some of the stock science very early on. And, also, it would make for a really busy part and right-click context menu.

How big are the BoxSat parts? It's difficult to fit a lot of my parts in the US wedges, and the BoxSat parts seem like they are even smaller, which could make things difficult.

I think I've fixed the two anomaly contract issues. They are being assigned correctly even when anomalies with the same name exist and the height above the anomaly is finally being calculated correctly using some vector math. :confused: It still might be possible that the coordinates given in the description can be wrong (I saw this happen once, but it was in the midst of lots of other testing and I couldn't repeat it; I also have no idea how it would happen), but in the next update these coordinates will update every time the contract loads. So even if they are wrong once for some reason they should be reset the next time you load/change scenes.

Has anyone found issues with any of the other contracts? I think I'll try to make it more explicit that only the US parts will work for the stock experiments during asteroid contracts, but otherwise I haven't run into any issues with the other contracts.

The US parts should have Tweakscale integrated in the next update (I think this will be handled on the Universal Storage end with Module Manager, but either way I'll make sure the modules get added), along with the stack-mounted solar particle collector, and my new part (which is inline-mounted). If I can test things out (I need to figure out the non-fixed scale changes) I'll add it to the other parts as well.

How big are the BoxSat parts? It's difficult to fit a lot of my parts in the US wedges, and the BoxSat parts seem like they are even smaller, which could make things difficult.

Size reference screenshot.

TuEeSzr.jpg

Edited by petros_a_l

Version 0.8.6 is out: Kerbal Stuff

The primary changes included are:

- New soil moisture sensor for use in orbit; can also be used as a SCANsat/ORSX water detector

- New Universal Storage version of the solar particle collector

- Tweakscale and KAS (thanks Tabakhase and [thread=71683]GavinZac[/thread]) integration for all parts

- Folder and file reorganization

- Various bug fixes

Note that automatic contract resets are not working correctly and have been disabled. Anyone upgrading from 0.8.5 or 0.8.5.1 should be fine, but anyone upgrading from an earlier version may need to manually reset contracts in the Alt+F12 menu; this could also affect other contracts, so you should finish or cancel all DMagic contracts before updating from 0.8.4 or earlier.

See the first post of this thread for more info and download links.

Changlog:

v0.8.6
- Updated for KSP 0.25
- New Soil moisture sensor
- New Universal Storage version of the solar particle collector
- Updated all US parts for latest US version
- TweakScale and KASModuleGrab nodes added to all parts
- Won't conflict with older versions of GavinZac's KAS config
- .version file included for use with KSP-AVC
- All mu and config file names changed to be more descriptive
- Fixed anomaly contract bugs
- Anomalies with the same name are correctly identified
- Accurate height above anomaly calculated
- A few minor bug fixes
- Prevent loading duplicate science experiments at startup
- Prevent null science data results
- Disabled automatic contract reset on update

Size reference screenshot.

That doesn't look too bad, I'll think about; it will probably be possible to add several parts without needing new textures, just new models.

Cool! Looks like it's based on SMOS/MIRAS.

Yep, pretty cool stuff, there is another similar satellite, but it looks much more difficult to model and animate. I'll probably end up remaking this one to be a little bit smaller and have a better texture.

Why do most of these parts cost four times as much as the science lab?

A better question might be, why does the science lab only cost 1/4 as much as some simple science experiments?

For what I do really appreciate your work, DMagic, is that you make science meaningful in KSP.

Thanks you.

Thanks.

I must be doing something wrong. I installed this alongside US and the sci parts for US are not showing. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

Do you have the latest versions of both addons? Both are required to work properly together. Also, check the R&D center to make sure the parts aren't there but not purchased yet. You might also want to make sure you're using the latest version of Module Manager, not the one packaged with US.

Do you have the latest versions of both addons? Both are required to work properly together. Also, check the R&D center to make sure the parts aren't there but not purchased yet. You might also want to make sure you're using the latest version of Module Manager, not the one packaged with US.

Never mind I fixed it, apparently it needed the updated 2.5.1 Module Manager to work. Thanks for a great sci mod!

I must be doing something wrong. I installed this alongside US and the sci parts for US are not showing. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

I have this problem too, all mods with latest version. (oldest version on 0.24 work fine)