[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

Wow.. its rotating :)

My probes now suddenly become much more scientific looking!

I'm pretty sure there's no practical reason for it to rotate. But when I first saw the SMOS satellite I thought, the only thing that could make this more Kerbal is to have it spin around, so now it spins at 2RPM.

Those antenna arms do have colliders, so make sure to stow it if you are docking or doing something else that might cause you to run into something.

Quick question are the science parts supposed to look like this as of the update (pic below) or is the door part of the models bugged? the parts still seem to work but i miss my nice doors to protect them :(

Right click and turn the structure back on. All the US wedges have that as an option in the VAB.

EDIT: I looked at my game and it's doing the same thing with existing ships and showing the parts as locked or something. But I did install the new version of DMagic onto 0.24.2 by mistake and don't know if that's it or some other mod. Tomorrow when I have more time to play, I mean investigate.

Edited by chucksterock

That doesn't look too bad, I'll think about; it will probably be possible to add several parts without needing new textures, just new models.

Yep, pretty cool stuff, there is another similar satellite, but it looks much more difficult to model and animate. I'll probably end up remaking this one to be a little bit smaller and have a better texture.

A better question might be, why does the science lab only cost 1/4 as much as some simple science experiments?

Thanks.

Do you have the latest versions of both addons? Both are required to work properly together. Also, check the R&D center to make sure the parts aren't there but not purchased yet. You might also want to make sure you're using the latest version of Module Manager, not the one packaged with US.

I must be doing something wrong. I installed this alongside US and the sci parts for US are not showing. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

the problem is US has changed in new version the main directory and the dir from wedge siencbay.

you can fix this by edit the cfg files in the gamedata/dmagic orbital science/universal storage/us goomat,us probe sci,us scope and us stock dirs.

sample: US GooMat

edit the USGoo.cfg and USMat.cfg and change

US_Core/Parts/US_R90_Wedge_ScienceBay/model

in

UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay/model

UniversalStorage is my dir for US from the zip file when you have another dir name tkae this

change all wrong paths and dmagic us works.

sorry for my bad english im german

I must be doing something wrong. I installed this alongside US and the sci parts for US are not showing. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

the problem is

original dir to copy in the gamedata folder from the us core zip "UniversalStorrage"

the name of the wedge sciencebay in the new US "US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay"

dir and name in the dmagic US configs

US_Core/Parts/US_R90_Wedge_ScienceBay/model

change all configs in the dmagic universal storage folder to the new US dirs and names and dmagic US works

sorry for my english im german

delete it please , duble post. thx

Edited by booga1976

i have ModuleManager 2.5.1. and both mod downloaded now from latest version.

I have the same problem, latest mods, fresh install and ModuleManager 2.5.1, the only mods i have are Dmagic, Station Science, MechJeb , SCANsat, KAS and US.

I still dont see any US parts like the goo container.

the problem is US has changed in new version the main directory and the dir from wedge siencbay.

you can fix this by edit the cfg files in the gamedata/dmagic orbital science/universal storage/us goomat,us probe sci,us scope and us stock dirs.

This is only true for older versions of DMagic Orbital Science.

The latest version has all of the US parts pointing to the right location. As long as Universal Storage is installed in its correct location the models should be found, if you are using older versions of one or the other addon, or if you didn't delete the old versions entirely when upgrading you will have problems like this.

I expect this will be horribly obvious when someone tells me the answer, but what instrument is used to perform the Temperature Scan as part of the Orbital Survey Contract?

You can use the 2Hot temperature sensor (the tiny little stock thermometer part) or my Universal Storage version.

Use my [thread=91034]Contracts Window addon[/thread] and it will show you exactly which part is requested for these types of contracts.

Right click and turn the structure back on. All the US wedges have that as an option in the VAB.

EDIT: I looked at my game and it's doing the same thing with existing ships and showing the parts as locked or something. But I did install the new version of DMagic onto 0.24.2 by mistake and don't know if that's it or some other mod. Tomorrow when I have more time to play, I mean investigate.

My parts aren't designed to work with the outer mesh toggle and don't have that option.

This and Universal Storage have a number of changes in their latest versions and won't interact properly if either is running an older version or an older version of KSP.

I have the same problem, latest mods, fresh install and ModuleManager 2.5.1, the only mods i have are Dmagic, Station Science, MechJeb , SCANsat, KAS and US.

I still dont see any US parts like the goo container.

Without any log files (look in KSP_Data/output_log.txt) I can't say too much. But the only thing I can think of that would allow my parts to load correctly (they won't load at all if DMagic is in the wrong location), but not the Universal Storage parts, is that US is either the wrong version, is put in the wrong place, or the folder names were changed.

Edited by DMagic

I was having the same issue with US parts not showing up, just fixed it. It will work if you have the most recent versions and ModuleManager 2.5.1. The mistake I made was dropping the whole "US_Core_0.9.0.242" folder straight into GameData. The path in Dmagic's config file assumes you extracted the three folders inside US_Core_0.9.0.242 and dropped those into GameData individually. So, if the "UniversalStorage" is directly underneath GameData, it should find everything. Hope this helps!

When I use one of the Science parts attached to a structural part the camera just "gets left behind" and my ship flies upwards away from camera. When I remove the part, the problem is removed as well. I'm running 0.25 x32 bit on Windows 8.1

Does your ship also swing significantly from side to side, making navball piloting impossible with any precision? And does the game frequently believe the craft is under thrust, and thus you can't go back to the space center?

That's by way of saying that I've encountered a bug that may be similar or the same. I had thought it was RealChute, but it had also occurred to me that one of the few new parts I've added since using a similar craft with no problems was the soil sensor.

It looks like you have wrong attach node placements in 0.8.6.

This is Drill config from 0.8.6:

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.135, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
node_attach = 0.0, -0.10, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0

And this is from 0.8.5.1:

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.135, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
node_attach = 0.0, -0.135, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0

You have node offset, which leads to this:

28LuE0x.jpg

Drill on the right is attached to the central node of 2x2 panel, and it looks completely normal.

Drill on the left is attached to the surface of said panel, and, as you can see, it "sinks" (to the extent that you can actually see it from other side!)

All your parts is affected, except the new sensor.

It looks like you have wrong attach node placements in 0.8.6....

This is, unfortunately, intentional.

Surface attachment node position is a total crap shoot; the surface colliders vary so much that it's impossible to have parts always attach correctly. I've erred on the side of making parts sink in too much, rather than float off from the edges, but in some cases I might have pushed them in a little too far.

I've tried to tweak parts based on how noticeable it is for them to clip through the surface (ie the magnetometer vs the thin base on the imaging platform or the telescope), but I didn't really consider the structural panels or other parts where they might show through the other side.

The stack node positions should be more-or-less correct though, as most of the stock parts, and most mod parts, have those in the right place.

You always impress me with your parts Dmagic. Excellent job as always. Also enjoying the contracts. ;) Kinda fun playing contracts you don't have to write yourself. :)

Thanks. I still haven't gotten around to playing other people's contracts ;.; (and I haven't even started thinking about SCANsat contracts), though I did manage to test your's to confirm that they work with my Contracts Window.

This is, unfortunately, intentional.

Surface attachment node position is a total crap shoot; the surface colliders vary so much that it's impossible to have parts always attach correctly. I've erred on the side of making parts sink in too much, rather than float off from the edges, but in some cases I might have pushed them in a little too far.

I've tried to tweak parts based on how noticeable it is for them to clip through the surface (ie the magnetometer vs the thin base on the imaging platform or the telescope), but I didn't really consider the structural panels or other parts where they might show through the other side.

The stack node positions should be more-or-less correct though, as most of the stock parts, and most mod parts, have those in the right place.

Previously, I've never seen any of your parts attached incorrectly... until now. They look like **** on any surface except stock girders.

Anyway, I just edited them back to pre-0.8.6 values. (I should made a MM config for this, in case of future updates)

Also, through testing, I've found out that this "camera displacement" occurs for the first time at 6000m exactly. Then at equal interval in altitude, the camera hangs back again. Next altitude reached, next step in hanging back. So in the end the craft is sooo far away it's pointless.

Just coming back to say all my probe and rover parts are super small, at even the highest tweakscale setting. The onlt two parts that look normal to me are the soil moisture collector and the solar particle collector. Any ideas?