[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

I'm having the most bonkers problem using the US parts for this mod in this version. Any ship I attach them to experiences a weird bug where shortly after launch at about 6-7km my ship flies away from the camera as though a part broke. Instead what's happening is the center of mass is moving further and further behind my rocket and it picks up some serious speed as it does so. This causes even slightly touching the controls to make my G forces meter go haywire since the distant rocket tries to move around this way off center of mass. It gets so bad that after my first stage simple things like decoupling cause the rocket to disintegrate from the G forces and pieces go flying away at insane speeds.

Any ideas what that could be? I tested the quad core with no US modules attached as well as then attaching the standard US modules and it works fine. Only the DMagic ones cause this.

Try a clean re install I had the same bug too. And double check the readme pdf.

I may have done something wrong (happens now and then) but.. I have the contract that includes the following :

Broad spectrum Analysis data from in space near a Class C asteroid

What device, exactly, does this refer to?

I'm loving this mod thank you very much for it!

I did find a bug just now where the laser scanner seemed to think the Class A asteroid I was docked to was a Class C asteroid. Nothing major, I just though I would point it out.

EDIT: Same goes for magnometer.

Edited by jandcando

Just a question, is this science mod standalone or meant to work in tandem with other ones? As in would you add [scientific instrument here], or not because another mod already has one?

There are other addons with similar experiment parts, but I generally try to avoid duplicating something else's parts unless I have a reason to.

Yeah I reinstalled US and DMagic, too. Still happening :( It's hard to tell since I can't zoom in probably but when it happens it looks like the quads are missing and there's just a gap.

Need more info; log files.

I may have done something wrong (happens now and then) but.. I have the contract that includes the following :

What device, exactly, does this refer to?

The multi-spectral imaging platform.

I'm loving this mod thank you very much for it!

I did find a bug just now where the laser scanner seemed to think the Class A asteroid I was docked to was a Class C asteroid. Nothing major, I just though I would point it out.

EDIT: Same goes for magnometer.

Also

Read those reports more carefully, they are referring to the asteroid type, not the size class.

Read those reports more carefully, they are referring to the asteroid type, not the size class.

Oh, I didn't know such a thing existed! How many different types are there, and what determines the type?

Edited by jandcando

Oh, I didn't know such a thing existed! How many different types are there, and what determines the type?

Technically asteroid spectral type is only based (I think) on the reflectance spectra, i.e. which wavelengths of light it reflects and which it absorbs. Generally this corresponds to what the asteroid is actually made out of.

There are three common types, C, S, and M. C-type asteroids are called carbonaceous, are very dark (as in almost completely black), and have lots of water and carbon compounds, these are the most common type but are very difficult to see.

S-type asteroid are stony, made mostly of the kind of silicates that make up planets' crust, and are fairly bright; these are basically what KSP asteroids look like.

M-type asteroids are metallic, sometimes almost completely iron and nickel, but frequently have lots of other valuable heavy metals. They probably come from the core of bigger asteroids that have been broken up.

There are quite a few other smaller types and sub-types, I cover nine of them for my reports. I'm just assigning them randomly, but Starstrider is working on a much better method of doing it for Custom Asteroids based on the actual distribution of asteroids in the solar system.

Technically asteroid spectral type is only based (I think) on the reflectance spectra, i.e. which wavelengths of light it reflects and which it absorbs. Generally this corresponds to what the asteroid is actually made out of.

There are three common types, C, S, and M. C-type asteroids are called carbonaceous, are very dark (as in almost completely black), and have lots of water and carbon compounds, these are the most common type but are very difficult to see.

S-type asteroid are stony, made mostly of the kind of silicates that make up planets' crust, and are fairly bright; these are basically what KSP asteroids look like.

M-type asteroids are metallic, sometimes almost completely iron and nickel, but frequently have lots of other valuable heavy metals. They probably come from the core of bigger asteroids that have been broken up.

There are quite a few other smaller types and sub-types, I cover nine of them for my reports. I'm just assigning them randomly, but Starstrider is working on a much better method of doing it for Custom Asteroids based on the actual distribution of asteroids in the solar system.

Ok thanks for the explanation. It sounds like a very interesting system could emerge from all this...

The multi-spectral imaging platform.

hmm, well something is a miss then. I will redownload (just in case) and try again, but even thou all the other Science Exp on that mission recognized that they were "near an asteroid" but for some reason The multi-spectral imaging platform only saw that it was "High above Kerbin".

First of all, I still love your parts. Especially with the wedges it is possible to place sensors streamlined.

But are those prices intentional? The 2HOT Thermometer and PresMat Barometer cost combined 4200 funds, while your wedge costs 10000. The Mystery Goo wedge costs almost 3 times the normal part and the SC-9001 Science Jr. wedge costs almost 4 times as much.

Of my rocket almost 2/3rds of the costs come from your sensors.

Dmagic,

Is there a reason that your NewScienceDefs.cfg file uses "%RESULTS" insteald of "@RESULTS"? It seems to me that it ought to be adding new results instead of replacing the results blocks (though it doesn't seem to be removing the science results that come in stock or in Crowdsourced Science Logs -- so maybe there's some aspect of ModuleManager that I don't fully understand).

First of all, i love this pack! it adds much needed tools to the game.

But i just started a new save and redownloaded all my favorite mods, and now DM parts are totally out of scale.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/44235139003133769/58C2457827AEF29D47A3FE98BAD0AC345902FD27/

^thats the magnetometer on a 1.25m pod

I'm assuming this is a scaling problem caused by another mod or plugin, i'm whittling down the troublemaker now.

I have the same problem now. I have the latest versions of TweakScale and DMagic (0.8.6.1 and 1.47, respectively). Removing any Tweakscale references in DMagic cfg's fixed the bug.

Also, please consider making Tweakscale (and any other mod) support as separate patches, not entries in the part config itself. For example, I don't use Tweakscale with most mods that it supports, so I simply delete respective configs.

Bug report:

There might be a "=" sign missing in NewScienceDefs.cfg at AsteroidInSpaceLow.

Taken care of, thanks Streetwind and Kerbas_ad_astra.

I have the same problem now. I have the latest versions of TweakScale and DMagic (0.8.6.1 and 1.47, respectively). Removing any Tweakscale references in DMagic cfg's fixed the bug.

Also, please consider making Tweakscale (and any other mod) support as separate patches, not entries in the part config itself. For example, I don't use Tweakscale with most mods that it supports, so I simply delete respective configs.

Already taken care of (TweakScale 1.47 seems to do something to break my free scale parts, 1.46 works fine for me).

The new update should be ready this weekend. Expect new parts, approximately two gagillion new science reports :confused:, community tech tree support, and cost/science re-balancing for both standard and CTT modes; all Module Manager configs (except US) have been moved out to separate files as well.

Is there an issue running this together with Tweakscale and Tweakable everything? All my parts from the DMagic pack are tiny!

aW5DQIh.png

This is what the mag Boom looks like scaled up to 400%. Thats sitting on a Stayputnik at 100% size.

I'm running a whole bunch of other mods as well, but none that, as far as I know have anything to do with re-sizing parts. Anyone else had this issue, and might have an idea whats causing it? It makes the parts awfully hard to click on.

Is there an issue running this together with Tweakscale and Tweakable everything? All my parts from the DMagic pack are tiny!

http://i.imgur.com/aW5DQIh.png

This is what the mag Boom looks like scaled up to 400%. Thats sitting on a Stayputnik at 100% size.

I'm running a whole bunch of other mods as well, but none that, as far as I know have anything to do with re-sizing parts. Anyone else had this issue, and might have an idea whats causing it? It makes the parts awfully hard to click on.

Mine is doing that again now too. I fixed it once but I cant remember what I did. I only have tweakscale though.

EDIT: Went back to Tweakscale 1.44 and it got fixed.

Edited by UAL002

http://i.imgur.com/aW5DQIh.png

Mine is doing that again now too. I fixed it once but I cant remember what I did. I only have tweakscale though.

Come on, guys... DMagic talked about that issue in a post that is STRAIGHT BEFORE yours!

I'm having an issue with the universal storage parts, they are not showing up in the science tab. I didn't notice until I wanted to do a goo experiment and none of them were there. I've used them before on a previous game but since I did a complete clean install they don't show. I've done another clean install of both the US mod and Dmagic.

Any ideas? Or am I just stupid? (more than likely the latter)